• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

Loudninja

Third party game is exclusive on Xbox One - screw EA, Microsoft paying to screw over PS4 gamers, evil corporations.

Third party game is exclusive on PS4 - lots of bragging, no mention of the above.

Come on guys, both platforms will have exclusives from third parties. That's how this industry works. It sucks that not everyone gets to enjoy all the games, but it is what it is.
I like how you completely missed the point.

Anth1888

Has a founder/dev ever been this public about their game being exclusive to a platform and being pissed off by it?

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when EA told them that their game wasn't coming to PlayStation. Zampella seems pissed off.

yg2URaI.png

Definitely. A little honesty goes a long way with me.
Meme_-_Clapping.gif
picard_clapping.gif
358bgh5.jpg.gif

so ...can we be happy for xbox one on getting a good exclusive? or do we have to get mad and hate them because its not on ps4?

When Sony has an exclusive it is glorified because they brought another great game and value to their console.

When microsoft has an exclusive they are damned for buying talent and removing the game from the rest of the consoles.

When Nintendo has an exclusive, no one cares (
joking
)

Darmik

I'm sure he's disappointed that a lot of gamers won't be able to play his game. But I can't really fault Microsoft for doing this. It's a business. If people were complaining that the 360 is no longer worth it due to their timed exclusives, Microsoft is fixing that. I'm sure there are some benefits as being known as the developer who is basically headlining an entire console as well. It will mean good things for the studio in the long run.

Other things Vincent zampella posts on twitter:

Just got married =(

Just has a baby girl. Named Amelia =(

We're now exclusive to xb1/360/pc =(

Just won the lottery. 506b dollars =(
Haha, no shit. Its kindof surreal.

But I guess they really wanted to establish TitanFall across all major platforms? Or maybe he's just peeved at not being consulted? Or both?

Either way, its pretty strange to see such an immediate negative reaction being broadcast to the public.

prwxv3

You've gone from saying EA have no control, to the man himself proving you wrong, and you're telling me, it's me with the misunderstanding?

Man, you're just the worst.

You should really stop engaging in arguments with him. He is the same guy that said that games like uncharted and heavy rain are killing the industry among other things.

The_Holy_Puck

Neo Member
This just in: EA is a shitty publisher to work for.

People act as if EA is the only publisher that would dare do such a thing..

EA is one of the best publishers bringing fantastic games to this generation each and every year. Sure they do some lame things (online pass; to name one of them I despise and thankfully gone), but don't be foolish to think respawn entertainment isn't getting their cut. This exclusive deal is the best thing that ever happened to them in helping them get their feet off the ground. Vince is playing the PR card, with Sony fans via twitter..

I'm sorry, but I've never seen so many people upset over an exclusive game. It's actually quite sad, good news for xbox fans after the previous couple day's bad news.. PS will be able to enjoy the next iteration. In a year from now nobody will even care.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Third party game is exclusive on Xbox One - screw EA, Microsoft paying to screw over PS4 gamers, evil corporations.

Third party game is exclusive on PS4 - lots of bragging, no mention of the above.

Come on guys, both platforms will have exclusives from third parties. That's how this industry works. It sucks that not everyone gets to enjoy all the games, but it is what it is.

Stop, you are making too much sense!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MS have a say namely by offering a shitload of money. If they offer the same for Titanfall 2 to EA or Respawn then the same thing will happen.

This contract isnt as clear as you believe.

Your claim was the MS and Respawn were the ones with control, not EA. Clearly that is not true. EA made a deal with MS and Respawn weren't even notified of it. MS has no influence other than paying to change a contract.

DieH@rd

Banned
They have sold the publishing rights for TitanFall to EA, at least for the first game in the series.

I guess this will push them either into self publishing for the next title, or to ensure that a multi-platform release is guaranteed in the next contract.

The worst part is that Respawn probably won't see a penny of the cash that just went from MS to EA given the manner in which they have been blindsided by the move.

With MS so desperate right now to differentiate their Q1 line up, especially now that a AAA SCE title has slipped to the timeframe, they had to be sure that the game would now be exclusive for its lifetime.

The other part of the deal is that it leaves Respawn open to being pushed out of the PS4 by Bungie, especially with Sony and Bungie's relationship with regards to Destiny. It could be a situation where TitanFall as a franchise will sell best on the smaller installed base when it goes multiplatform due to familiarity with a competing franchise on PS4.

Also, MS must be absolutely 100% certain that the game is a certified AAA system seller. I would go as far as to say they must put it in a "quadruple A" category for them to splash the cash and risk investor ire like this.

Yeah, MS is in hardcore moneyhating mode now, trying to secure as much exclusive content as possible....

fallingdove

You can have your cold, business oriented world view. But please try to understand that the creators just want people to play their game, and enjoy it. And now they're going to have to take into consideration that PS4 customers won't know what the fuck is going on in future Titanfall games.

the good thing is that this is a multiplayer only game so maybe there will be a sequelish game with a single player story. Titanfall : Goliath or whatever.

Hattori

Banned
I guess I would be upset as well, he was probably gunning for CoD and this just dampened their chances at doing so.

I'm sure he's disappointed that a lot of gamers won't be able to play his game. But I can't really fault Microsoft for doing this. It's a business. If people were complaining that the 360 is no longer worth it due to their timed exclusives, Microsoft is fixing that. I'm sure there are some benefits as being known as the developer who is basically headlining an entire console as well. It will mean good things for the studio in the long run.

I'd view it as bittersweet news as well.

At least I'd know it is coming to PC, where it can shine assuming the parties involved give it proper support PC users expect and demand.

People act as if EA is the only publisher that would dare do such a thing..

EA is one of the best publishers bringing fantastic games to this generation each and every year. Sure they do some lame things (online pass; to name one of them I despise), but don't be foolish to think respawn entertainment isn't getting their cut. This exclusive deal is the best thing that ever happened to them in helping them get their feet off the ground. Vince is playing the PR card, with Sony fans via twitter..

I'm sorry, but I've never seen so many people upset over an exclusive game. It's actually quite sad, good news for xbox fans after the previous couple day's bad news.. PS will be able to enjoy the next iteration. In a year from now nobody will even care.

Have you played Madden the past few years?

Oh, I plan on playing it on PC, no doubt. There's just no question that's exactly MS's goal in this. Not to secure an Xbox One exclusive but to prevent a (potentially) popular game from appearing on their main competitor's platform.

Basically. I don't think they have enough money to secure XB1. We're talking about a potential billion dollar franchise

Mifune

Mehmber
It's quite likely that a PS4 version was already in the works so that could be another explanation for the sad face. Having to let employees go is never fun.

Man that's just shitty on MS' part. So because they're first party studios outside of Turn 10 aren't worth much, they go out to prevent games from coming to Ps4? That's just sad. This is exactly the type of reasons I wish MS wasn't around (though of course I understand having only one console isn't a good thing)

At least we now have clear evidence of MS moneyhatting

One of the benefits for Respawn in all of this is that MS will push this title. Hard. I mean they are going to market the fuck out of it, I could see them marketing it more than Halo 5. "From the makers of Modern Warfare, comes their new franchise, exclusive to Xbox One on next gen". That advert is going to run and run,

StuBurns

Banned
You should really stop engaging in arguments with him. He is the same guy that said that games like uncharted and heavy rain are killing the industry among other things.
You're right, I'll ignore list him, because the temptation is just too great.

When Sony has an exclusive it is glorified because they brought another great game and value to their console.

When microsoft has an exclusive they are damned for buying talent and removing the game from the rest of the consoles.

When Nintendo has an exclusive, no one cares (
joking
)

That's the sense I get. The PS2 had a ton of exclusives from 3rd party developers, I guess back then it was different somehow.

Yeah, MS is in hardcore moneyhating mode now, trying to secure as much exclusive content as possible....

Ok, so what exactly is the problem?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One of the benefits for Respawn in all of this is that MS will push this title. Hard. I mean they are going to market the fuck out of it, I could see them marketing it more than Halo 5. "From the makers of Modern Warfare, comes their new franchise, exclusive to Xbox One on next gen". That advert is going to run and run,

I assume that was the whole idea of going exclusive in the first place.

EA has a great track record at growing franchises, but a bad one at launching them.

Get Microsoft to do the work up front and then take over from there.

suedester

Banned

Why is it good news for Xbox fans? They were going to be able to play the game anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't it been said that Titanfall is an every other year franchise due to how small Respawn is? If that's true, the earliest a Titanfall game will hit the PS4 is 2016

Hindle

Banned
You've gone from saying EA have no control, to the man himself proving you wrong, and you're telling me, it's me with the misunderstanding?

Man, you're just the worst.

MS have offered a shitload of money to keep this game exclusive. You originally said Titanfall 1 would come to the PS4 Stu, and MS couldn't do anything about it. They did something about it.

Guerilla

Must feel awesome, to be finally free instead of strung up like a puppet.

Gotta laugh at how Respawn focused on creative freedom to avoid what happened to them with Activision and got screwed by EA in a different way. I bet their next contract will also focus on letting them chose the platforms.

Top Bottom