• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn: EA made Titanfall deal, only for one game, will work on PS4 later

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Why even have consoles then? Why not just put everything on PC?

There's nothing wrong with a console manufacturer making their console more appealing by securing games for it.

And they should do that by paying for the development of the title, not by paying for the title to not be ported anywhere else.

Twix

The whole situation is really confusing. I thought Respawn was never going to make a game without having total control over the IP after what happened with Activision. I guess I was wrong.

So instead of expanding and improving first party studios for the rest of the generation, Microsoft decides to go all out on buying exclusivity for the first game of a new IP just to build an install base faster, shitty move if you ask me, it's just basically paying EA to screw ps4 gamers.

It's not basically, it's exactly that.

Mr. West

Banned
So instead of expanding and improving first party studios for the rest of the generation, Microsoft decides to go all out on buying exclusivity for the first game of a new IP just to build an install base faster, shitty move if you ask me, it's just basically paying EA to screw ps4 gamers.
Pretty much. It's why people hate them.

Mifune

Mehmber
Damn, that sucks for Vince. Reading the GI article on Titanfall I got the sense that he was so happy and grateful to be an independent developer again. And now this happens behind his back.

Could they possibly add an expansion to the first game and rename it?

Who knows. Either way, even if it is one game this is a must have for Microsoft. They needed to lock this one up desperately and they did it. It was probably worth whatever amount they paid.

Well what else are they gonna spend that billion dollars for first party on ;-)

Strider

Basically how I feel as well.

Throwing money at EA to secure Titanfall doesn't make me want to buy your console Microsoft, it actually does the opposite.

KissVibes

Banned
i really don't understand. Vince is the BOSS of respawn right? how can EA just go ahead and make an exclusivity deal with MS without his approval?

"we only found out recently" says to me that respawn had no input on the decision. how can they get strongarmed like this?

Because Zampella is probably bad at getting good contracts that prevents stuff like this?

Or, he could just as easily be lying to save face in front of games.

Ebomb

Banned
Unless someone held a gun to there head to sign with EA partners, its hard to shit on EA for this. Respawn took the money, respawn gave EA contractual rights, EA did its thing, business is business. The transparency as a consumer is nice, but if I'm EA, public venting of sad faces in reacting to me doing my job is probably not a great response.

I'm assuming Titanfall 2 won't be published by EA unless there's a clause for first refusal in their contract. I feel bad for Zampella, he started his own company to have his independence only for a platform holder to moneyhat their publisher into a permanent exclusive for their first title. That's gotta be a shitty deal.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So does respawn get none of this exclusivity money?

Zamp implying this is not what he wanted but surely he gets some of the scrilla no?
Considering no one told him until recently id guess not.

I get it's a royalties deal honestly.

Gorillaz

EA didn't pick favorites, MS just backed up dat money truck on their front lawn.

Simple as that. Money was traded. Which wasn't the surprise. The only thing crazy is Respawn possibly going through some problems that pushed them to leave Activision in the first place.

KaiserBecks

Reading Vince's tweets would suggest that they're pushing for multiplatform (not just MS platforms) for the sequel. He specifically mentions that Titanfall isn't a MS exclusive franchise and that this is just for the first game.

Yes, and it looks like he wanted the first one to be multiplatform at a later date as well. Look what happened.

Kinyou

I guess what's to consider that this is just the situation right now. Who knows what kind of deal MS could make if they like how Titanfall sales

Since EA made the deal to MS , does that imply they weren't confident with sales?

Yes, it implies that MS are shit scared of the Bone being outsold at over 2:1 over the next year or so.

I think the other ramification of any such deal is that TitanFall could slip to the fourth quarter now so that it has maximum impact as an exclusive title.

Atilac

Is he trying to get fired by tweeting that?
You sure EA isn't trying to kill their partnership? They can easily go else where and get the same or better deal.
Take-two needs an FPS franchise, they are swimming in GTA money, and love multiplats.

I don't give a fuck about titanfall, but I feel bad for Respawn - seems they are destinyed to be manhandled by their publishers.

KissVibes

Banned
And they should do that by paying for the development of the title, not by paying for the title to not be ported anywhere else.

Why? Why should they do that?

Tell me why a company should bankroll all the development of a product and assume all the risk when they can pay just enough to secure exclusivity?

EXCLUSIVES THIRD PARTIES, HOW DO THEY WORK!!!!!

People are making a big deal out of nothing.

Exclusives almost always means building a game from the ground up for a specific platform. "Almost always" being the keyword, because the exceptions are MS moneyhatting publishers to not release to competitors.

Nobody sane in the industry is happy about "exclusives" anymore. That stopped being beneficial for the developer long, long ago. Vince isn't happy, and rightfully so, because EA is stifling the success of Titanfall (which Vince cares about) in exchange for EA getting a couple bucks stuck in its thong (which Vince doesn't give a shit about).

Heh, CBOAT will never be wrong in the hearts and minds

"Can't see into the future"

The list of things that people want to hate CBOAT for is still getting longer.

MrDaravon

Could they possibly add an expansion to the first game and rename it?

Who knows. Either way, even if it is one game this is a must have for Microsoft. They needed to lock this one up desperately and they did it. It was probably worth whatever amount they paid.

This is a super shitty situation, but you're right here. Titanfall is the only game that has me even tempted to get a X1 in the launch window (I have my doubts about the quality of a farmed out 360 version we have never seen, and I don't have a PC that can run the game). I can only imagine how much this must have cost them, there's no reason to believe the game wouldn't have done blockbusters on PS3/4 as well.

Top Bottom