• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm excited as hell too, and cannot wait for midnight, but from what I'm seeing, it's not better than The Order 1886. That's still the best looking game this generation.
The tech on display here most definitely outclasses the Order. HBAO+, tesselation, soft shadows. It's a showpiece. Hair, environments, and facial animation especially. Based MOVA.

Cleve

The fucking Muppets: Most Wanted reference in the OT is great.

I wish I had held out to play this game, it's probably way better on PC

I'm sure it is, but I have no regrets getting it on xbone. The game is fantastic, I may double dip and replay on pc when it hits a price I like.

Great minimalist OT, my tablet thanks you.
BzH9EiS.jpg

Can we take a moment to reflect on how far graphics have come?

Alienfan

Great minimalist OT, my tablet thanks you.
BzH9EiS.jpg

Can we take a moment to reflect on how far graphics have come?

I feel like we have reached a point where almost no new game will date, with PC, we're essentially at photo realism - although people probably say this every generation and are proven wrong time and time again :p

jmelons

Been replaying the 2013 version to prep for this. Btw, between this, The Witness, The Division beta, and Street Fighter V beta, this is one hell of a week.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like we have reached a point where almost no new game will date, with PC, we're essentially at photo realism - although people probably say this every generation and are proven wrong time and time again :p

When games bump up to 4k the photorealism argument will be center stage again. 1080p is fine for me, though. Until I get an 100' TV or a 4K projector.

Piggus

Yep. :) Games have a long way to go before we reach photorealism, especially when it comes to lighting.

Got its own OT? Nice.

Does anyone know of the Baba Yaga DLC is purchasable separately? I can only find the season pass on the Steam store.

knitoe

When games bump up to 4k the photorealism argument will be center stage again. 1080p is fine for me, though. Until I get an 100' TV or a 4K projector.

To me, photorealism is when someone shows me an image and I have to look at it a few times to see if it's real or not. We are still a long way from that. And, resolution isn't it either. You can even take a SD TV broadcast, know it's real, and then take the best AAA game image, you can tell it's fake.

Bioshocker

I've revisited the Tomb Raider reboot these past weeks and I'm struck by how similiar these two games are and yet how much better and more fun Rise of the Tomb Raider is. The gameplay is extremely similiar, but everything is much smoother in Rise. Crystal Dynamics have done a great job in keeping the good bits and making them better. Especially the environments are much more interesting this time. The tombs in Tomb Raider were very disappointing, and to be honest I never felt I was playing a TR game. In Rise they feel more like they did back in the days.

So yeah, play the game!

JayB1920

I've revisited the Tomb Raider reboot these past weeks and I'm struck by how similiar these two games are and yet how much better and more fun Rise of the Tomb Raider is. The gameplay is extremely similiar, but everything is much smoother in Rise. Crystal Dynamics have done a great job in keeping the good bits and making them better. Especially the environments are much more interesting this time. The tombs in Tomb Raider were very disappointing, and to be honest I never felt I was playing a TR game. In Rise they feel more like they did back in the days.

So yeah, play the game!

I agree. The game takes away control far less often and there are far fewer slow mo and QTE moments. The action setpieces require you to use your platforming skills rather than just holding up on the analog stick. The combat also felt better paced throughout even if there may be more of it overall.

The main story features 3 larger tomb/ruin environments and there are more puzzles spread throughout the campaign. There is one about 2/3 of the way through being really well designed and fun to explore.

The optional tombs are much better and actually look and feel like classic Tomb Raider environments. None of the Puzzles are too difficult but the were all fun to solve. There are 3 standout ones in my opinion with the rest being a bit too small/short/easy but they are almost all an improvement on the reboot both in puzzle design and environments. Still left with a that's it feeling a bit too often though. I would have taken 2-3 more larger ones in place of several of the smaller easier ones though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Somehow I missed the release of this game. Are there any pre-order bonuses?

... the Remnant Resistance Pack, and the Sparrowhawk pack! The Remnant Resistance Pack includes the "Remnant" outfit which gives Lara a chance to bandage without using any resources, the "Moon Shadow" Heavy Pistol Skin, and the rare "Bullet Resistance" foil card, which gives Lara extra damage resistance to gunfire while the Sparrowhawk Pack includes the “Sparrowhawk” outfit that boosts Lara’s hunting ability, the “White Widow" Recurve bow skin, and the rare “Master Hunter” foil card which deals double damage to animals and gives Lara double the resources from them.

Pre-ordering on Steam gets you Tomb Raider 2013 also (giftable if you already own it).

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I agree. The game takes away control far less often and there are far fewer slow mo and QTE moments. The action setpieces require you to use your platforming skills rather than just holding up on the analog stick. The combat also felt better paced throughout even if there may be more of it overall.

The main story features 3 larger tomb/ruin environments and there are more puzzles spread throughout the campaign. There is one about 2/3 of the way through being really well designed and fun to explore.

The optional tombs are much better and actually look and feel like classic Tomb Raider environments. None of the Puzzles are too difficult but the were all fun to solve. There are 3 standout ones in my opinion with the rest being a bit too small/short/easy but they are almost all an improvement on the reboot both in puzzle design and environments. Still left with a that's it feeling a bit too often though. I would have taken 2-3 more larger ones in place of several of the smaller easier ones though.
Please stop, the wait is unbearable.

KingBroly

Banned
To me, photorealism is when someone shows me an image and I have to look at it a few times to see if it's real or not. We are still a long way from that. And, resolution isn't it either. You can even take a SD TV broadcast, know it's real, and then take the best AAA game image, you can tell it's fake.

I get that. I understand that. But I keep asking myself what the point is. There are so many minute details that they're never going to get right, and even if they do, the cost won't be worth it to the end user, so we'll never see it.

Impulsor

Please stop, the wait is unbearable.

I completely agree with this, I finished the game on Xbox One and I'm about to double dip... It was my personal 2015 GOTY

jeemer

what's the cheapest this is going on pc? i held off when it was £22.99 on cdkeys since it was being bundled, but it seems to have actually increased in price in the last week or so.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
what's the cheapest this is going on pc? i held off when it was £22.99 on cdkeys since it was being bundled, but it seems to have actually increased in price in the last week or so.

CDkeys = £27
Green Man Gaming w/27% off code (27RISE-OFTOMB-RAIDER) = £29.20
Steam = £40

It's 27% off at Greenmangaming with voucher, dunno if that's the cheapest.

code: 27RISE-OFTOMB-RAIDER

Moff

where are her dual wielding guns, didn't she get them at the end of the first game. bows are dumb

Top Bottom