• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider PC |OT| Hello... it's me.

TheYanger

Gonna be curious to hear impressions soon :) This was my goty, sure it won't please everyone but I think for the most part it'll be pretty well liked.

Vuze

when does this unlock on steam? a little weird that it's still not available..
I think four or five hours from now.

Also lol, I just saw somebody with an early copy complaing that his three-way SLI 980 Ti "only" pushes ~30fps at 4K Ultra... with SSAA enabled. Sometimes I'm just out of words

patapuf

Also lol, I just saw somebody with an early copy complaing that his three-way SLI 980 Ti "only" pushes ~30fps at 4K Ultra... with SSAA enabled. Sometimes I'm just out of words

lawl. That'll do it.

iNvid02

well to be fair sli scaling isnt supposed to be great, let alone 3 way. but you'd have thought someone with that kind of rig would be aware of the state of sli in new releases

Vuze

well to be fair sli scaling isnt supposed to be great, let alone 3 way. but you'd have thought someone with that kind of rig would be aware of the state of sli in new releases
It was a rather big console-only Let's player so I suppose he bought it pre-configured and all. If anything, just a nice showcase of how some people are not aware of what certain settings do even to their multiple-thousand dollar rigs and then go complaining on the internet haha.

This is a great game. I'm still playing it on the Xbox One and trying to get all the items 100%.

Enjoy everyone.

No need for me to get it on PC, I'm happy with the Xbox version.

Kezen

Banned

I don't think the game scales well at all on three GPUs. Maybe someone who has not made a modicum of research before buying.

TechJunk

Maybe if I throw more money at it, it'll run my games better?! lol

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn. Just got home from work and expected to play a little of this. I will be long asleep in 4 hours when it unlocks.

Guess I will play this Monday...

(work and Division beta)

The issue here isn't SLI scaling, it's using super sampling anti-aliasing at 4K. This essentially internally renders the game at a much higher resolution than 4K and then downscales it. It's really inefficient and wholly unrealistic to use at 4K, even with 3-way SLI.

Vex_

Banned
eh.
The OP is Aiiight. It aint all dat and a bag of chips. I mean, it got nice pictures and stuff.

...i mean it is lookin kinda fly and shit ...

..........ok it's dope as fuck.

Vuze

Woah, I just read through ComputerBase's performance and seems I won't be able to use the highest texture settings with my 970 @ 1440p due to massive stuttering... Sucks. Where dem Pascal cards at

Copper

With a 970 do you think I should just scale back to 30 fps with everything max? Or 60 fps with some things turned down?

Were those benchmarks done with new drivers that came out?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Alrighty then, it's done http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-graphics-and-performance-guide

The proper framestop never worked for me in our branch, but I did find a way to remove a lot of the pause menu stuff recently, and the darkening filter, so went back and re-did a bunch of images to produce 1:1 comparisons for most settings.

Big caveat regarding benchmarks: performance can vary greatly between scenes. We've had access to the entire game and found a segment of gameplay that represented the more demanding moments of the actual run, gun, shoot gameplay. Some of the more scripted stuff can run slower, but they're typically 30-60 second sequences compared to the hours you spend in freeroam and quests.

Vuze

With a 970 do you think I should just scale back to 30 fps with everything max? Or 60 fps with some things turned down?

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-01/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-benchmarks/4/
GeForce 361.75 (RotR Game ready)

I'll aim for 45+, should be feasible with some stuff turned down.

E:
Of the many additions, Crystal Dynamics' use of Side Effects' Houdini software is the most impressive. With this package highly realistic water effects and avalanches were created offline, recorded as Bink videos, and dynamically merged into real-time cutscenes to display visual effects that would be otherwise impossible to render.
I wasn't aware - this sounds rad.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

I really hope I can get a more or less steady 60 fps with everything on very high except shadows on low and FXAA on my 970. This certainly was enough for AC Unity to get steady 60 on 1080p and TR doesn't look that much better.

Hm...I thought this would unlock at 12am EST or something like that. :/

Guess not.

Oh well, got the day off tomorrow so I'm ready. :D

Parsnip

F4kUx9j.gif

Waiting patiently.

Dr Dogg

E:

I wasn't aware - this sounds rad.

It does work really well. You get two set pieces in the first hour or so that show the effect off. While you can tell if you know what you're looking for (or seen any old film with composite style effects) it's quite a funky thing to do in this day and age.

Glad I held off on the XB1 version. I want the Win10 store version for Xbox achievements, but I don't really want to pay full price. They really should have a launch discount or something to compete with steam keys, even though I know they won't.

Ragnaros

Banned
Is there a reason why the release date is 1/28 but we can't play until the afternoon? Doesn't that seem weird to anyone? Have other games done this?

Tubie

I'm been ready to play this since this morning :(

Got my PC connected to my TV and my DS4 setup to work wireless with it.

I can't wait to sit on the couch and play this for a few hours straight.

Top Bottom