• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Resident Evil 4: The most complete party ever thrown.

It was pretty disappointing how non tongue-in-cheek RE5 (and by the looks of it RE6) was coming off of RE4's awesome moments like MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE and the Salazar mecha.

Oh, and the only QTEs that are wholly unnecessary IMO are slashing the Gigante plagas and turning various cranks. The cutscene QTEs are great for the first time playthrough and tolerable in subsequent runs.

The QTEs for dodging in boss fights are brilliantly done.

Sadist

Jack_Krauser.jpg

"You catch on quick"

Oh god, I know this game like the back of my hand.

StuBurns

Banned
It was pretty disappointing how non tongue-in-cheek RE5 (and by the looks of it RE6) was coming off of RE4's awesome moments like MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE and the Salazar mecha.
I think it's slight silliness is part of it's brilliance. It allows for the inclusion of super contrived and superficially incorrect aspects of progression, puzzles, unthinkable geometry, etc, but because the game exists in this slightly comedic take on horror, that all feels really fitting. They can be there just because they're great fun, not for any logical reason without being a distraction. It's even more impressive that while having this unusual style, it can still be really unnerving, and keep you on the edge for extended periods.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There are only a handful of games I consider to be nearly perfect and this is one of them.

Everything just clicks.

Ein Bear

RE5 was pretty humorless, but at least had Wesker and Irving hamming it up. RE6 is just boring serious-talk about Bio Terror and Bravo Team and blah blah don't care.

Removing the Merchants, Ballistics, Bingos and Midgets was such a huge mistake. They took away all the charm. :(

"You catch on quick"

Oh god, I know this game like the back of my hand.

Like you... I'm American.

Bumhead

Banned
Brilliant game.

It was revolutionary at the time because of what it did for the franchise, but I must admit I never anticipated it holding up so well.

One of those rare games I'll still be playing years from now.

Curufinwe

It's the Wii version without specular mapping.

This bears repeating given how much crap was spread about RE 4 HD being based on the PS2 version, notably by GameTrailers.

The only thing that bugged me about RE 4 HD on the 360 was that while it had online leaderboards for completion time, it didn't have any for The Mercenaries.

Kerub

Banned
I think that this is the game I've played the most in my entire life. Even more than Quake 3 and CS 1.6.

I must have completed it at least 10 times and played a huge amount of mercenaries.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
perfect pacing, fun story and characters, awesome music.

seriously this is one of the best games ever.

I like RE5, but it feels too on-rails, actiony and samey. RE4 is varied throughout 20 hours of gameplay.

I just replayed through RE5 for the 1st time since it's launch week and now I really want to play RE4.
My problem is I have a US copy of the GCN version, that won't play on my Euro Wii or the PS2 version with its shitty graphics.
I'm trying to decided if I wanna play it so bad, that I wanna spend £20 on the HD version for the 360/PS3.

What's worse is I still have Revelations and RE6 to play, with Damnation Bluray unopened too. :D

RE5 was pretty humorless, but at least had Wesker and Irving hamming it up. RE6 is just boring serious-talk about Bio Terror and Bravo Team and blah blah don't care.

Removing the Merchants, Ballistics, Bingos and Midgets was such a huge mistake. They took away all the charm. :(

It's all about dat self-awareness. It's why zombie biker island at the end of RE4 didn't feel as dumb as zombie tanks or zombie paratroopers in RE6.

KingFire

Banned
Off-Topic: Dark Gaf is amazing!

On-topic:
RE4 is one of the best games I have ever played. I could not take my eyes off the screen and I finished the game in a few days. It was such a good game.

I love and appreciate the attention to detail that went into every facet of its design. The weapons, the upgrade systems, the inventory style, the enemies/boss designs, the art design... etc. Still incredible.

This bears repeating given how much crap was spread about RE 4 HD being based on the PS2 version, notably by GameTrailers.

The only thing that bugged me about RE 4 HD on the 360 was that while it had online leaderboards for completion time, it didn't have any for The Mercenaries.

RE4 HD was a lazy port, but at least it's a lazy port of the better version of the game. The aiming feels off, though. I didn't notice it, having played the Wii version so much in between, until I popped in the Gamecube version for a comparison. Going directly back and forth, the difference is apparent. The HD version's "inertia" while aiming feels off.

Edit: sorry, should have mentioned I have the 360 HD version.

Ein Bear

RE4 HD was a lazy port, but at least it's a lazy port of the better version of the game. The aiming feels off, though. I didn't notice it, having played the Wii version so much in between, until I popped in the Gamecube version for a comparison. Going directly back and forth, the difference is apparent. The HD version's "inertia" while aiming feels off.

What platform did you play it on, out of interest? I thought it felt fine on the PS3, but there was definitely something wrong with the aiming on the 360 version IMO.

randomwab

Which HD version were you playing, PS3 or 360?

StuBurns

Banned
There were only a few months between when I last tinkered with the PS2 version before first firing up the PS3 version, aiming felt the same to me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I made an entire post on the the first aspect of difficulty changes in RE4 here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42714442&postcount=93

I loved writing and researching it. The next post takes a bit longer because I need savegames from all chapters on all difficulties of the PC version. Anyone who'd like to help me out there? Best would be a savegame containing savegames from every subchapter 1-1 , 1-2 .... 2-1, 2-2 etc per difficulty. 1 save per chapter would be fine too though. Started replaying easy, but I guess it will take me a while with the other stuff I have going on atm.

I'm pretty sure RE5 was tongue-in-cheek. I don't know if it did it quite as well as RE4 did, but there is absolutely no way it took itself totally seriously.

Curufinwe

Edit: sorry, should have mentioned I have the 360 HD version.

Do you think that could be partly because the left stick on the GameCube pad is better than the the sticks on the 360 pad?

I thought the aiming on the 360 version was fine, although I did switch to the D-pad for some of the most difficult shooting gallery levels.

def sim

Do you think that could be partly because the left stick on the GameCube pad is better than the the sticks on the 360 pad?

I thought the aiming on the 360 version was fine, although I did switch to the D-pad for some of the most difficult shooting gallery levels.

I did, as well.

I feel the gamecube pad is better suited for RE4 and the octagonal gate was kept in mind during development. It doesn't explain his comment about the inertia, though I have not played the GC version in some time. I doubt they would change that between PS3 and 360 ports.

edit

StuBurns

Banned
Updated the OP.

Anyone care to take a stab at what Zwei will be? Is it Mikami's vision of a 'next-gen' Resident Evil? A direct iteration on his work on RE4? As much as I would love to see a significant design leap (akin to REmake to RE4), I might actually be just as excited for just a Super RE4 Turbo I think. The art has such an odd colour palette, it makes me think more of Shadows of the Damned than RE4.

My favorite boss/mini-boss encounter is the two El Gigantes in the room with the big trap door into lava stuff.

bender

What time is it?
I did, as well.

I feel the gamecube pad is better suited for RE4 and the octagonal gate was kept in mind during development. It doesn't explain his comment about the inertia, though I have not played the GC version in some time. I doubt they would change that between PS3 and 360 ports.

edit

Maybe something to do with the differences in dead zones on the analog sticks?

I've been wanting to play some RE4 but haven't pulled the trigger on the HD version. I was hoping we'd see a price drop/sale when RE6 released and I guess I'm maintaining that hope with Halloween around the corner. *crosses fingers*

How are the controls in this game so perfect? Basic movement feels incredible.

Vanquish feels even better. Mikami got mechanics DOWN.

And yeah, RE4 is an incredible achievement on a scale I don't think has been duplicated since. 20 hour campaign, constant variety in encounters and scenarios, great pacing, perfected its combat despite the movement limitations, nearly unmatched replay value for its genre, great atmosphere, great art, great animations, etc. A revolutionary title that spawned a whole sub-genre of shooters that have yet to reach these heights again.

Sadist

'NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE' is what I always find myself saying during this fight.
First time I faced the guy I actually fought him and fled like crazy for six minutes. It was epic.

The elevator arrived and there it was, my ticket to freedom! But then he blocked me :(

Updated the OP.

Anyone care to take a stab at what Zwei will be? Is it Mikami's vision of a 'next-gen' Resident Evil? A direct iteration on his work on RE4? As much as I would love to see a significant design leap (akin to REmake to RE4), I might actually be just as excited for just a Super RE4 Turbo I think. The art has such an odd colour palette, it makes me think more of Shadows of the Damned than RE4.

My favorite boss/mini-boss encounter is the two El Gigantes in the room with the big trap door into lava stuff.

Seeing how Mikami says he's going back to the genre horror, I expect something closer to REmake. Probably with a overhauled combat and mechanics.

I hope we get back the sense of exploration and the game design of the old RE games with more refined mechanics.

Simply the greatest game of all time. It's occasionally matched in one or two areas by newer games but still has numerous other areas that remain untouched. It's not about the level of RE4's quality, it's about how many different aspects of the game are of that quality. I would argue that Dead Space 2 has probably the most satisfying third person gunplay of any TPS but the boss battles are non-existent, economy is ho-hum, and length is short. RE4 nails every single one of those areas plus more. And who doesn't love 99% of everything non-playable being skippable with minimal load times? Hidden best feature of RE4 that should be standard in every game ever. Skipping everything, look at your recorded gametime, subtract 30 seconds (possibly less) and every other second is gameplay. Painless replays = huge plus.

Verdugo is my fave boss fight. Incredibly tense fight and the build up is simply amazing.

Updated the OP.

I remember a quote where Shinji Mikami was saying that he was going for 'pure survival horror' which makes me think something more like REmake than say RE4. I think there will probably be a much less focus on action but also a lot more elaborate gameplay than old school RE. Basically I expect some kind of incredible REmake/RE4 fusion with the vibe and atmosphere of the concept art (which is very different from RE4 indeed). Could be really special.

Sojgat

First time I played through RE4 was with a friend. We took turns playing sections until either we died or had roughly an hour of play. One of my favorite games ever, an almost perfectly crafted masterpiece. Nearly all games are a disappointment by comparison.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
this game has the greatest qte scene of all time, too. As much as dislike qte, the krauser fight was fucking badassssssssssssss.

I only wish there was an additional automatic weapon aside from the TMP. The Chicago Typewriter doesn't count since it breaks the game.

I've played through this game 4 times and I can never bring myself to use the TMP.
Just feels like I'm burning through way too much ammo.

The only thing I would fix about this game is a way to quickly switch your weapons.

Top Bottom