• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Resident Evil 4: The most complete party ever thrown.

The Final Fantasy 7 of the Resident Evil series. That's not a compliment. Hopefully, someone somewhere down the line can restore the series to it's proper glory.

It's also not criticism. It's a meaningless comparison.

Hardly. It's entirely apt. I chose that analogy carefully.

What's your favorite Resident Evil?

The Gamecube remake.

Presumably he means they are comparible in that they were both bad games that enjoyed series-altering explosive popularity due to style over substance.

He's wrong, but I'm assuming that is what he means.

Negative. It's a solid shooter that receives an undue amount of praise. It does some things right, some things wrong, but deviates too far from it's roots. It's a Resident Evil game in name only.

I just started playing the GC version this month. The village has such awesome atmosphere, I love it. Took awhile to get used to the controls again since it's been so long since my last playthrough but the shooting still feels great. I really didn't like the castle area too much. Really my only gripe with the game. felt like that area just dragged on too long.

I made an entire post on the the first aspect of difficulty changes in RE4 here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42714442&postcount=93

I loved writing and researching it. The next post takes a bit longer because I need savegames from all chapters on all difficulties of the PC version. Anyone who'd like to help me out there? Best would be a savegame containing savegames from every subchapter 1-1 , 1-2 .... 2-1, 2-2 etc per difficulty. 1 save per chapter would be fine too though. Started replaying easy, but I guess it will take me a while with the other stuff I have going on atm.
I think you're referring to the differences between difficulty levels but I have to say how amazing RE4's dynamic difficulty on non-Pro settings is, especially when playing the game for the first time. Missing shots, taking damage, and dying results in the game dialing down the difficulty for novice players by removing enemies in certain parts of the game. And when the player is ready to take the next step by doing a Pro run, there are certain to be surprises when those enemies show up.

I like old Resident Evil plenty but that formula was played out with trash entries like Code Veronica and RE0; RE4 was the kick in the pants the series needed.

In what sense? FF7 follow closely the basic pilars of the FF saga, in terms of narrative and game design, just with a greater scope.

FF7 popularized the saga in the world, but for years the best selling RE game was RE2. RE4 actually sold way less initially. So...what are you talking about?

Mileena

Banned
GAF is so crazy about RE4 these days.

In what sense? FF7 follow closely the basic pilars of the FF saga, in terms of narrative and game design, just with a greater scope.

FF7 popularized the saga in the world, but for years the best selling RE game was RE2. RE4 actually sold way less initially. So...what are you talking about?

I think he means that they're both good games but very overrated.

My second favorite game of all-time (after Valkyrie Profile 2 and before MGS3). I've beaten it 24 times. So fucking good. I never ever get sick of it.

Not to mention RE4 is a massive evolution in the series, with lots of changes (for the better). FFVII really is not very different than FFVI. It's just FFVI with more advanced graphics, really.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Presumably he means they are comparible in that they were both bad games that enjoyed explosive popularity due to style over substance.

He's wrong, but I'm assuming that is what he means.
Well, style over substance is an impossibility, so of course that'd be wrong :p

I always feel that it would be better for people to detail out their feelings, even if they're wrong, than to make some sensationalist comparison. It's not just annoying, it lowers the quality of discussion with a lack of clarity. You're left assuming what he means when he compares the two titles and it's just a way to bait reactions out of people on his part.
It doesn't matter if you've been deliberately constructing the perfect analogy since 2005; it's still low quality discussion. Construct criticism instead.

Then he's wrong. I don't think no one can question the critical and fan acclaim of the game.

Tastes may vary but there's no doubt about the quality of RE4.

I'm not talking about it's objective quality. There is a certain amount of subjective quality in it, as in all art, that seems gets mistaken for "perfection" - whatever that is.

Look, I get that most of you guys love it. That's fine. Tastes are entirely subjective and I'm cool with that. Hell, I've even said before that I like the game. But it's so laughable to see it called "best game ever" or flawless", and the real kicker is that it's actual flaws are so obvious that I can't understand how they get overlooked.

Christ, even I can admit to the flaws in the games I love the most.

It doesn't matter if you've been deliberately constructing the perfect analogy since 2005; it's still low quality discussion. Construct criticism instead.

You don't win an argument by convincing anyone. You win it by being right.

I'm not talking about it's objective quality. There is a certain amount of subjective quality in it, as in all art, that seems gets mistaken for "perfection" - whatever that is.

Look, I get that most of you guys love it. That's fine. Tastes are entirely subjective and I'm cool with that. Hell, I've even said before that I like the game. But it's so laughable to see it called "best game ever" or flawless", and the real kicker is that it's actual flaws are so obvious that I can't understand how they get overlooked.

But you're not mentioning any flaws. Your argument is useless. You're just trying to pick a fight.

Risette

A Good Citizen

So now you're discounting those who call it "perfection" as being controlled by their subjective feelings?

Every time I call RE4 the best game ever, I am speaking objectively.

danwarb

Code veronica is better

I thought Code Veronica was fantastic when I played it on the Dreamcast. I never got into 4, coming to it a few years late. 5 was better for its co-op, but the classic RE tank controls could not endure in an action game, hence 6.

The best games in the series are the first 2.

The game has flaws, but it does so many things right that those can esily be ignored. I can see why a lot of ppl don't like FF7 or FF VIII. Games that I love a lot, but I think they have significantly flaws.

But RE4 is for me one of the best designed shooters ever. I have yet to play other shooter as good as RE4 in terms of level design, bosses and pace. But it also excels in terms of art design, music and introduced one of the best bonus modes in gaming.

The love for RE4 may be excesive but is one of those rare cases that is totally deserved.

zerotol

Banned
RE4 is probably my favorite game ever. I've played through it at least 12 times. I bought it on GameCube, Wii, iPhone (lol), and 360. Trying all the different guns and upgrading them is great. So much replay value.

Risette

A Good Citizen
You don't win an argument by convincing anyone. You win it by being right.
That's not how arguments work, lol. You're not right, but you're also not wrong. Do you know why? Because you have said absolutely nothing up to this point! First you make a vague comparison to another game that leaves readers assuming what you actually mean, then you speak of these flaws or things it does wrong that you don't name. Nothing.

RE4 is probably my favorite game ever. I've played through it at least 12 times. I bought it on GameCube, Wii, iPhone (lol), and 360. Trying all the different guns and upgrading them is great. So much replay value.

Hahaha, I've never played the iPhone/iPad versions, but I love watching gameplay videos where the horror music is blaring in the background but there's only two enemies in the level. Amazing.

Curufinwe

You can't expect too much from a guy with a Fonzie fetish.

Emily Chu

Banned
Comparing this to re6 and 5. Wtf happened! ??

Can't believe the series has been dashed to shit.......

It used to be soo good

Uncledick

Banned
For me RE4 is the best action game of all time and my favorite title of it's decade. The pacing did it for me. Has there ever been a game that constantly surprised and entertained through over 20 hrs? (actually took me 26hrs on my first play through) The variety is second to none. No padding at all.

I don't know if we'll ever see another game like it. The dead spaces got somethings right, like the feel of the weapons, sound design, encounters with enemies, atmosphere... but the economy, boss fights, variety of art/levels pale in comparsion.

The story of RE4 is actually one of my favorite aspects of the game. Cheesy, doesn't take itself too seriously, with a great cast of silly, yet memorable characters/villians.

I am beyond pysched for Mikami's new project. I hope it's more horror in the vein of Remake and less actiony than RE4. But i'll take whatever he puts out. Mikami is one of the best directors in videogames, and if he puts out another couple of RE4 quality titles before his career is over, well i'd say he belongs in the elite class of directors. Along with Sid Meier and Miyamoto.

You can't expect too much from a guy with a Fonzie fetish.

Oh, did you see that everyone? He insinuated I have a Fonz fetish because that's what my avatar is. And implied that because I apparently have a Fonz fetish, that my posts are invalid! Such wit, I am at a loss.

Is this really what happens when you don't worship at the altar of the sacred cow? Could somebody do me a favor, and link me to any threads where someone disagreed with people proclaiming game X as video game perfection? Did it happen with any other sacred cows, or is Resident Evil 4 just exempt and I never got the memo?

I specifically bought a Gamecube late in its life cycle just for RE4. Words can't describe the opening village scene when you are being chased by everyone and the first time you get your head taken off by the chainsaw guy. The game is simply pure fun and the controls are perfect. Edit: Nothing makes you feel more like a boss than shooting a hatchet out of the air that's being thrown at you.

Not, not if I say so. I am correct. You can't pick a fight in a thread and then say "well I GAVE MY REASONING IN ANOTHER THREAD SO I DON'T HAVE TO HERE, SO THERE!" That's not how it works.

Horseshit. No one is being tasked with providing detailed analysis about why it's so amazing (aside from generic statements about level design or whatnot), but a dissenter is.

And my initial post was not picking a fight. If you interpreted it as such, that is your problem alone. I proffered up my take on the game, just like everyone else. I compared it to a game of comparable popularity and quality in a way that illustrates my point of view. If that offends you, well, shucks.

Horseshit. No one is being tasked with providing detailed analysis about why it's so amazing (aside from generic statements about level design or whatnot), but a dissenter is.

And my initial post was not picking a fight. If you interpreted it as such, that is your problem alone. I proffered up my take on the game, just like everyone else. I compared it to a game of comparable popularity and quality in a way that illustrates my point of view. If that offends you, well, shucks.

It's not my problem alone when everyone else is calling you out on it.

Curufinwe

Oh, did you see that everyone? He insinuated I have a Fonz fetish because that's what my avatar is. And implied that because I apparently have a Fonz fetish, that my posts are invalid! Such wit, I am at a loss.

Others have already pointed out why your posts in this thread offer nothing of value, and show you're just looking for an Internet fight. The Fonzie fetish is just amusing.

beastmode

The most entertaining shooter campaign ever. It's a shame the sequels aren't as good and games inspired by it don't click with me (Gears and Vanquish.)

I hope 6's negative reception doesn't make Capcom turn RE7 into Revelations 2: The Console Game.

Top Bottom