• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: BG&E2: Odyssey is a Switch timed exclusive (12 months, then PS4/XB1/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackal27

Banned
You havent seen new gameplay concepts because the console input is the same limiting dual stick pad since forever. The way you interact with games is far more important than hardware for new gameplay styles, which is sufficient for a while now.

I disagree. If this were true the Wii, Wii U, Kinect, PlayStation Move, and now VR would have been massive successes for emergent types of game design. They weren't. Yes, a few games showed unique ideas or worked well in spite of their platform, but it didn't lead to new types of games.

The reason we don't see games with new vision happens for one reason and one reason only: risk aversion. Making a game in 2016 is risky business whether you are Ubisoft or a lone indie developer. With a shrinking market, extremely long development cycles, and the ever increasing demand for bigger, louder, more impressive games, it works best to develop something that already has an audience that will keep you in business. OR something that has already been proven to be successful in terms of design in order to save precious resources making your own design systems, physics, lighting, art direction, etc.

It has nothing to do with developers lacking options. It has everything to do with them wanting to stay in business. (and it still sucks)

Oregano

Hahah. Auch.

I dont get this from Ubisoft and Nintendo but heck I didnt get the Bayonetta deal either and if true I dont get this.

Bayonetta didnt save the WiiU, this wont do anything for the Switch as we know we all can play it a year later.

Meanwhilst Street Fighter V did wonders for the PS4 and saved Capcom.

Edit: Also you know... No one is begrudgingly Sony for Shenmue 3.

King_Moc

Banned
Lol at the people instantly asking for the thread to be closed. Laura is really rustling some people's feathers up good.

Anyway, I'm there day one for this on switch.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lol at the people instantly asking for the thread to be closed. Laura is really rustling some people's feathers up good.

Anyway, I'm there day one for this on switch.
They asked for it to be closed because it was a tweet with no blog link.

Really? Because Ubisoft is probably the leakiest company I can think of.
I believe the poster is saying it's hard to pin who is leaking info.

Chobel

Either it's low budget title (unlike what Ancel claims) or some people at Ubisoft and/or Nintendo made a huge mistake lol

Even more reason why this deal is dumb, no?

I'm happy this game is actually happening. I'll definitely get it on Switch.

As for the people complaining well suck it up. You should be happy its even coming out

KHlover

Banned
Considering how hard BGE1 bombed I wouldn't be suprised if this game wasn't coming out in the first place if it wasn't for Nintendo.

Don't Ubi have like 10,000 staff that constantly rotate between projects? Good luck finding a leaker within that.

And spread across the planet. Unless there are rules against in-house studios and other staff talking to each other, her sources could be anywhere from Singapore to Montreal.

Blobbers

So either get the worst version early or wait a year for the best one + all the DLC and whatnot. Literally Sophie's choice. I'm probably gonna end up going with the switch even though timed exclusivity needs to fucking die.

I disagree. If this were true the Wii, Wii U, Kinect, PlayStation Move, and now VR would have been massive successes for emergent types of game design. They weren't. Yes, a few games showed unique ideas or worked well in spite of their platform, but it didn't lead to new types of games.

The reason we don't see games with new vision happens for one reason and one reason only: risk aversion. Making a game in 2016 is risky business whether you are Ubisoft or a lone indie developer. With a shrinking market, extremely long development cycles, and the ever increasing demand for bigger, louder, more impressive games, it works best to develop something that already has an audience that will keep you in business. OR something that has already been proven to be successful in terms of design in order to save precious resources making your own design systems, physics, lighting, art direction, etc.

It has nothing to do with developers lacking options. It has everything to do with them wanting to stay in business. (and it still sucks)

Sure, the risk aversion is valid and the most important point. But my point remains - even if they would want to take risks, traditional consoles, since those are the ones you mentioned, would be the last place where you'd find game changers in gameplay. Because of the traditional sticks that only allow this much.

Cardon

If the info is actually true, then it might be that Ubi planned it to be digital in general, but what Nintendo wanted for the Switch launch period was a physical release that would be visible on shelving space - ie, to say that the Switch has games, to the average consumer. So Nintendo secured the exclusive period and a physical release, while Ubisoft will stick to its original plan once that period expires.

Gotcha. I guess that makes sense in the end. Here's hoping the game is solid, and that it doesn't end up DOA when it arrives on the PS4/X1 similar to what occurred with Rise of The Tomb Raider.

Eolz

It's her job.

Leaker is a job now?

It was already leaked like a year ago actually.

The timed exclusivity too? My bad then.

She has an Ubisoft source, who obviously doesn't give a fuck either. Two way street at this point tbh.

Oh no, I agree that people at Ubisoft are way too careless in the first place. Already creating problems for Ubisoft.
But there is a difference when it goes public.

Why? Assuming the leak is legitimate, they've got a trailer ready to run in nine days. If this was a deal in the earliest possible stages of negotiation, a leak would potentially compromise it. But this is already a done deal, just waiting for the announcement.

If you want to avoid breaking news about the games industry, perhaps don't frequent a message board about the games industry.

I work in the games industry. I can assure you this is not something as breaking as you might think.
Games being leaked is sadly nothing new, but business deals is another problem and usually problematic both for companies and employees until the real message is out. I can assure you the guy talking about the exclusivity deal in the first place never worked on this.

Really??

giphy.gif

People hoping for the Switch to have a good reveal event so it's not a flop, and others hoping for leaks to not cause issues when it's about business deals.

But yeah, I guess I should probably do some basic reaction like everyone and leave this thread.

cheesekao

Edit: Also you know... No one is begrudgingly Sony for Shenmue 3.
SFV was on PC day 1 and Shenmue 3 will be too. Also, there were plenty of people disappointed that SFV did not come to the bone.

Oersted

Hahah. Auch.

I dont get this from Ubisoft and Nintendo but heck I didnt get the Bayonetta deal either and if true I dont get this.

Bayonetta didnt save the WiiU, this wont do anything for the Switch as we know we all can play it a year later.

The Bayonetta 2 deal was made before the Wii U was released and made Bayonetta 2, which otherwise would have never happened, possible.

Not that confusing if you read.

oti

Banned
Considering how hard BGE1 bombed I wouldn't be suprised if this game wasn't coming out in the first place if it wasn't for Nintendo.

Why let it release on the other platform at all then? Was is that difficult for Nintendo to secure Ubisoft support they had to take such a deal? I don't know.

I just hope the game ends up being good. On Switch it should do alright. On the other platforms it will have to compete with bigger competition though.

docyoe

The mental gymnastics people are doing for the sake of downplaying this and turning a game we know nothing about into low budget shit is fascinating

Right, people are shitting on Switch getting BG&E2 because of the completely unrelated rumored launch lineup. How is that even relevant?

A game being a low budget title doesn't mean it'sgonna be shit....see Recore or Talos Principle. The term AA does exist.

18-Volt

What a dumb move.

Paying a third party company to make a game a timed exclusive for your system? Nintendo do some dumb moves from time to time but this one is among the smart ones.

And for Ubisoft to receive cash for a game that has a high chance to bomb? Yeah that's smart too.

Trago

I'm excited, but damn I want to play this on PC.

At this point, I'm glad to get the game regardless. It's been so long.

jackal27

Banned
Or people might be concerened at the launch titles of the Switch. Zelda? Getting it on Wii U. Not a big Mario fan, so unless there is a new Metroid, whats in it for me? Ports of games I already own on other systems? That isn't really enticing me.
I'm uh... sorry? Those other consoles you love don't really tend to get many exclusive titles in 2016 either, particularly from 3rd parties and especially from Ubisoft.

Also, why are we buying Zelda on Wii U now? I thought that was supposed to be the inferior version?

What a dumb move.
Yes. This thing that happens all the time in 2016 on every other console and works just fine. What a dumb move.

BGE2 is happening? Sounds good to me.

I don't mind waiting a year to play unless Switch turns out to be far more enticing then it currently sounds.

PeterGAF

Banned
No threads based on twitter rumours.
The fact that this rule has been enforced recently is so dumb. It's a rule that is ignorant of how useful of a source twitter can be. Verified sources leak information and break stories on twitter all the time. This isn't even exclusive to video games. In the sports world some of the best insiders, like Adam Schefter, break stories on twitter. It would be very ironic for a site like neogaf, which is known for having its own insiders post leaks and info in threads, to close a thread just because it doesn't have a "real website" as a source. Obviously there needs to be a line for what kind of tweet is thread worthy but a tweet from a pretty well known leaker who has some history with the subject should be good.

What's next. No more threads about YouTube videos? Did you guys know that anyone can make a YouTube video?

Also the meltdowns in this thread are kind of hilarious. It's Bayonetta 2 all over again. We should just be glad that BGE2 is happening. I wonder if Nintendo has any involvement with making the game happen at all

z0m3le

Banned
Happy it's happening at all. Will wait for PC version.

This is me with every Rockstar game, where the hell is RDR!

Glad Nintendo is keeping up with partnering with 3rd parties, I really want to see Bayonetta 3 and this gives me some hope that it will happen.

Cyborg

Can't remember the last time a 3rd party exclusive deal worked out well for anyone.

I agree.
I feel this is just a waste of resources (for Nintendo) and money (for Ubi) to make such a deal. I fear this will do nothing for mainstream gamers, BG&E isnt a game a lot of people know.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Can't remember the last time a 3rd party exclusive deal worked out well for anyone.

Nintendo has shown that they don't really care about their 3rd party deals to work well. Just look at W101, Bayo 2, FF and Devil's Third. They care more about trying to provide an image of diversity in portfolio.

Nzyme32

That would be so idiotic that every Nintendo fan should worry about the situation if this is true. And I'm not joking.

Why?

Just for the numberwang listing of "exclusives" to "justify" buying said console?

Really imo - as a nintendo fan for over two decades - this kind of thinking is nonsensical to me. I think games should be in as many places as possible when concerning third parties and even "2nd parties" simply to reach as many people as possible and benefit the fans / devs / publishers and even increase the return possible from projects. The development of these games are so high at this point that it isn't remotely feasible to have full exclusivity to such titles indefinitely anymore bar a minority. That minority is almost always no where near enough to justify me buying any system, let alone a Nintendo one. A game being on another platform has absolutely no bearing on whether I buy a system or not.

What sells Nintendo systems to me, is Nintendo games and the system itself, its features, capabilities and usefulness as well as how that can change gameplay to be more fun and interesting. Wonderful101, Bayonetta and even all the Nintendo games was not enough to get me to buy a WiiU (someone who has bought every other system since NES, bar 3DS and WiiU). Nintendo's feature set has been outmatched by other platforms and I'd rather play games that are on said other platform for better features and longevity and often in turn better gameplay because of it. A handful of paid for third party exclusives will not be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom