• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: BG&E2: Odyssey is a Switch timed exclusive (12 months, then PS4/XB1/PC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some things just aren't adding up. Rumors point toward it being released next year while Ancel is saying that it's years away from competition. Having it be released as digital only on other platforms makes it sound like it's not that big of a budget while Ancel's comments make it sound rather expensive.

Yado

It did not! You are right. Sony (PS4) didnt need a win to be honest. Nintendo needs succes with this and I doubt BGE2 will do anything for the console

Any departure from Nintendo's output is a good thing, they need the diversity.

big_erk

Can't remember the last time a 3rd party exclusive deal worked out well for anyone.

And yet they keep happening. So my guess is that these companies see some benefit in these types of deals. Whether or not we know what that benefit is irrelevant. All I care about is that the games from these deals be good.

Cyborg

Nintendo has shown that they don't really care about their 3rd party deals to work well. Just look at W101, Bayo 2, FF and Devil's Third. They care more about trying to provide an image of diversity in portfolio.

Yeah right like that strategy is a succes for them. Come on man.

TimmiT

Laura's leaks lately feel like her stealing thunder from Nintendo and the game developers more than anything to me. :/

thefro

Some things just aren't adding up. Rumors point toward it being released next year while Ancel is saying that it's years away from competition. Having it be released as digital only on other platforms makes it sound like it's not that big of a budget while Ancel's comments make it sound rather expensive.

My theory is that there's possibly two projects, the Switch game which will be ready for 2018 and what Ancel's talking about.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm more shocked it might be a timed exclusive vs a full on Switch exclusive.

Maybe they paid attention to what happened to Bayonetta 2 sales?

And how well did Zombi sell after getting ported to other platforms? Even if it didnt break sales records, if they saw an uptick in sales just from it being a late port...maybe this rumor could be true.

I honestly don't think this game is big enough to have meltdowns over.

Neither was Bayonetta 2, and yet it caused them. At least this is just a timed exclusive, because those port begging threads were insufferable and a pain to read through (mainly because they were threads about the game that devolved into port begging)

I'm more shocked it might be a timed exclusive vs a full on Switch exclusive.

Maybe they paid attention to what happened to Bayonetta 2 sales?

The likely most likely reason is that it's a different company, a different game, a different console, a different deal and the two have nothing to do with one another

And yet they keep happening. So my guess is that these companies see some benefit in these types of deals. Whether or not we know what that benefit is irrelevant. Al I care about is that the games from these deals be good.

Of course. The benefit being a fat check.

It's likely either Nintendo partially funded the game this removing alot of risk or is covering a significant portion, if not all, of the publishing and marketing significantly decreasing ubisoft cost. Later releases would then almost be pure profit.

It's most likely the latter.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yeah right like that strategy is a succes for them. Come on man.

I think that strategy is a request directly from Reggie so he can say with straight face "we have a lot of 3rd party games on our consoles".

Also, why do you care?

oti

Banned
Look, I'm all in on the Switch hype train and I'll definitely be picking one up on day one but, limiting the development of BGE2 to the specs and power of the Switch and then making it a 12 month exclusive...

raw

Edit: Now I've thought about it more... As long as the game is still what Michel ancel and the team originally envisioned then I'm ok with this as Rayman Origins and Legends were both budget like titles and were still fantastic.

Yes. I'm sure BG&E2, the sequel to a game that didn't sell, was going to get all the resources to become the next Battlefield 1 until Nintendo threw money at Ubisoft and said "NO! Throw these graphics away!"

Well, if the rumor is true, it's a nice get for the Switch. I think the impact this will have on console sales will be small, though it shows that Nintendo is still willing to try to get these types of games on their console.

Again, per these rumors, I'm also glad it's not a full exclusive. I'm a big fan of BG&E, and eagerly await the sequel and, while interested by the concept, I likely won't be purchasing a Switch.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Huh...well, we'll see I guess.

BG&E is such a nothing game to me. This doesn't really effect me either way.

jackal27

Banned
Yes. I'm sure BG&E2, the sequel to a game that didn't sell, was going to get all the resources to become the next Battlefield 1 until Nintendo threw money at Ubisoft and said "NO! Throw these graphics away!"

For some reason I'm just laughing really hard imagining Daddy Nintendo yelling at Ubisoft. "You put these graphics in the trash RIGHT NOW."

Funny they said they needed stronger console for exploring galaxies and the like, and bam one year timed exclusive on the weaker one.
Ah, maybe we can get a remaster/port of the first one.

That's what I'm thinking.

Maybe Switch would be more powerfull than we can expect.

Lol at all the salt in this thread. Suddenly, BGE in "not worth of moneyhatting"? Please. First BGE is more fun and the story is more interesting than any Uncharteds and GOWs.

And we are talking about a rumour here. Casual player will see a exclusive on Switch and ports will be announced a year later.

Gator86

Rumors and such, but if this is true, that must be a tidy check to toss this game in the trash like this. Gonna move all of ten copies on PS4/Xbone when it does come out.

That's what I'm thinking.

Maybe Switch would be more powerfull than we can expect.

Lol at all the salt in this thread. Suddenly, BGE in "not worth of moneyhatting"? Please. First BGE is more fun and the story is more interesting than any Uncharteds and GOWs.
Why we gotta do this..

Ridley327

Is it Resident Evil 4 all over again?

I don't see how this is similar if we already know it'll eventually come to other systems. RE4 getting a port announcement a couple of months before the GCN release after years of stressed exclusivity isn't the same thing at all.

Cyborg

Why does it matter? Do you suffer from Nintendo supporting niche games?

No I dont! I support Nintendo and own every Nintendo console (except Wii, I refuse to buy it). I dont support the strategy cause it just doesnt work. Look at

- N64
- GC
- WiiU

All consoles beaten hard by competition. They need to become MY primary console to play all the 3rd an 1st party games. I only use my Nintendo consoles for the 1st party exclusives.

Switch needs to become everyones primary console to succeed if Nintendo fails in that we will all be buying our games for the console of the competitors.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Neither was Bayonetta 2, and yet it caused them. At least this is just a timed exclusive, because those port begging threads were insufferable and a pain to read through (mainly because they were threads about the game that devolved into port begging)

The likely most likely reason is that it's a different company, a different game, a different console, a different deal and the two have nothing to do with one another

I also mentioned Zombi (was in the middle of editing maybe you didnt see it) by Ubisoft also, that was announced to come to other platforms out the blue vs a timed exclusive.

Man the reactions in this thread are really surprising to me. Haven't been wanted this game like for eternity?

True but i'm not going to buy a console to play this game.

So i'm gonna wait.

Considering that the game had plenty of technical problems in order to even reach pre-alpha i'm surprised it's gonna be on a console like the switch at all.

big_erk

Of course. The benefit being a fat check.

It's likely either Nintendo partially funded the game this removing alot of risk or is covering a significant portion, if not all, of the publishing and marketing significantly decreasing ubisoft cost. Later releases would then almost be pure profit.

It's most likely the latter.

I agree the benefit is money. My point being, it takes two to tango. Obviously the dev company is probably seeing monetary benefit with help covering developement costs. But Nintendo must also be seeing some benefit here as well. Otherwise why make these deals. Nintendo plays the long game better than most. Their reasoning may not be obvious to us, but I'm sure it makes complete sense to them.

UrbanRats

So they couldn't do this game before because the tech just wasn't there for the ambitious vision etc etc... and then it comes out on Switch? Lmao.

Like with Tomb Raider people will just wait the year. A waste of money from Nintendo's perspective and damaging to their reputation to foster the anti-consumer practice of buying timed exclusives.

Did Reggie kick your dog or something?? Did Miyamoto fart on your pillow? Did Kimishima steal your girl? Why are you so angry?

oti

Banned
For some reason I'm just laughing really hard imagining Daddy Nintendo yelling at Ubisoft. "You put these graphics in the trash RIGHT NOW."

"But daaaad. Like, 27 different Ubisoft studios worked on these graphics!"
"No! Throw them away. You disappoint me."

;_;

llehuty

If this ends up at Resident Evil 4 quality, I'm in. Timed exclusive is weird, though. Ubisoft relationship with Nintendo is intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom