• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Entire party system on XB1 being replaced, "may take up to a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... should have left Mort's name out of the thread title maybe. Poor guy is probably due another Xbot hatefest on Twitter as it is just by mentioning this. Prayin' for your soul Mort.

But yeah, as to the story... 180 on a design disaster? Xbone gonna Xbone.

I actually haven't received a single hate-tweet since the day after the xbox one was released... when everyone realized I didn't make that shit up.

mattp

was the xbox one designed in a fucking bubble by people who have never seen a 360?
its crazy how many steps backwards they took with this thing when it comes to gaming-centric features

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
why would this take a year? for one of the largest software development companies in the world?

-They've got a ton of other fixes to do that actively interferes with the system itself that takes priority.

-To do a system level OS feature like this, while games are coming out, is going to take a lot of work. A LOT of work. Imagine working on a party system where the game will invite players via the OS, just like the 360, and working on it before the console is released. That way you don't have to worry about backwards compatibility, because the games aren't out yet.

Now imagine the games are out, and more games will be coming out. You not only have to implement a system wide OS feature that works with all past and present games, but strip out a party system that's already implemented without breaking said games.

This is not a bandaid patch. This is serious stuff that needs to be done. And at the moment it probably won't take priority until they finish some major other bugs that need to be addressed first.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Yes, this person making a game for the Xbox One is retarded and getting his info through a game of telephone. He does not know all of the things you know, like that he is retarded.

WTF?

Read the first article and tell me what he was wrong about.
Dude your original article had all kinds of Shit it in it that turned out to not be true. You really should consider stopping posting info you can't verify yourself as you admittedly have no idea whether it's true or not. I mean really what's the point?

this is but one component of the

ASS STORM

Ass+saurus+in+Jurassic+park_6494b6_3846645.gif

QaaQer

People are not going to be willing to wait that long for a working OS. Look at Windows 8, a bad OS can destroy a platform. A year after launch is way to long to fix basic issues that should never have been broken in the first place. And this is going to destroy TitanFall/Destiny's popularity on Xbone too.

It's really just cockup after cockup in Redmond at the moment. Basic stuff that they should just have copied from last gen's blueprint, they managed to get utterly wrong.

It's a shame so many people bought them really, no incentive for them to improve if people will buy a half-finished product for $500.

As a ray of sunshine, I'll just mention Julie Larson-Green announced the end of stack ranking, which should make things more harmonious. I don't know how long it will take to undo the damage that that system did to the culture of that company though.

I'd like to see a female CEO at MS.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There is no such thing as an ass storm.

Don't forget as well that MS has traditionally believed in big updates infrequently rather than sony's release new features as they're ready one at a time. They'll probably call it a dashboard update, and I don't believe they've ever released more than two a year of those.

Wizman23

Banned
Before Destiny really. It's not like people can go PS4 for Titanfall if they feel the online infrastructure on the XB1 is lacking.

Bungie has built their own party systems into their games since Halo 2. Destiny will be a non issue since the Destiny UI will be doing all of the party/invite work.

Alx

I'm not a big user of the party system (actually I never use it), but I don't see how this is a big deal. The current system may be a flawed placeholder, but as far as I know it's functional. People are acting like Xbox owners will have to wait one year to party chat... Or maybe I am missing something ?

Hindle

Banned
The new system should be ready by April, possibly sooner. I could see them launching the update in time for Titanfall.

nib95

Banned
Dude your original article had all kinds of Shit it in it that turned out to not be true. You really should consider stopping posting info you can't verify yourself as you admittedly have no idea whether it's true or not. I mean really what's the point?

Such as? The vast majority of it was true, and FamousMortimer actually has the best accuracy level of all our insiders. But I suppose when you don't like what he has to say, you'd automatically not want him to say anything at all, despite the vast majority of it being accurate.

Prine

Banned
Hmmm... should have left Mort's name out of the thread title maybe. Poor guy is probably due another Xbot hatefest on Twitter as it is just by mentioning this. Prayin' for your soul Mort.

Really? Keep this shit out of here.

Tsundere

Banned
I'm not a big user of the party system (actually I never use it), but I don't see how this is a big deal. The current system may be a flawed placeholder, but as far as I know it's functional. People are acting like Xbox owners will have to wait one year to party chat... Or maybe I am missing something ?

You're missing the point completely. It's the fact that they went backwards and made it much less intuitive compared to their past generation.

sangreal

http://www.edge-online.com/features/xbox-why-the-baffling-incompetence-of-the-xbox-one-interface/

Also doesn't show when people come online (without using snap feature) among other things.

Only the first sentence of that paragraph is about the party system; the rest is complaining about lack of detail in the friends list. I'm not sure what online notifications (something missing on ps4 too) has to do with the party system being broken either

The party system is a step back from the 360 in many ways, but it's a stretch to call it broken. A future replacement is both obvious and a good thing; I don't know why anyone would construe this as bad news

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
What possible reason could there be for a year wait? Even six months seems a bit absurd and, frankly, a bit FUDdy.
Up to a year, and possibly that just means it depends on when it's finished relative to the next scheduled update.

That it was even a problem in the first place, after it worked the way most seemed perfectly happy with on the 360, speaks to the fundamental disconnect in design and architecture that is probably what contributes to the lengthy estimates. They're essentially going back to the drawing board.

mcrommert

Banned
I actually haven't received a single hate-tweet since the day after the xbox one was released... when everyone realized I didn't make that shit up.

You mean how the party feature crashes when switching from game to game and the whole snapping feature is crashy...really? 100% untrue

Not having feature parity with the 360 may be true but that is a whole different thing...but whatever; you were right

I would love Albert and his gang to explain why we have this new party system in the first place, it's crap.

Still it seems they are going to do something about it. I can't see it taking a year though, although perhaps retro fitting the new system with already released games might be an issue.

see5harp

Bungie has built their own party systems into their games since Halo 2. Destiny will be a non issue since the Destiny UI will be doing all of the party/invite work.

Thank you. A bit of common sense. It's like Mortimer, Vulcan, and Nib did not play COD on PS3 last gen. Was activision completely worried that a party system wasn't in place prior to release. No, not at all.

It's pretty amazing to see that MS doesn't understand the point of nailing these things the first time around. Maybe it's the rush, but now they get to spend tons of money doing all of this work. Amazing, amazing, amazing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Yeah your right, asked a mod to change it to RUMOR instead of his name.

Only the first sentence of that paragraph is about the party system; the rest is complaining about lack of detail in the friends list. I'm not sure what online notifications (something missing on ps4 too) has to do with the party system being broken either

The party system is a step back from the 360 in many ways, but it's a stretch to call it broken. A future replacement is both obvious and a good thing; I don't know why anyone would construe this as bad news

To be clear, I don't construe it as bad news and, in fact, end my article praising the move.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
As a ray of sunshine, I'll just mention Julie Larson-Green announced the end of stack ranking, which should make things more harmonious. I don't know how long it will take to undo the damage that that system did to the culture of that company though.

I'd like to see a female CEO at MS.

While it would be nice to point to stack ranking as the cause of the massive drop-off in quality between Xbox 360 and Xbone, my gut feeling is that it can't be entirely responsible for how poor a product Xbone is.

Prine

Banned
You mean how the party feature crashes when switching from game to game and the whole snapping feature is crashy...really? 100% untrue

Not having feature parity with the 360 may be true but that is a whole different thing...but whatever; you were right

It really is bullshit

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The party feature is fine, it's just a completely different thing from what parties were on 360. Different definition. You join a party, it works with what you're playing with your friends to get you gaming together. It's a lot quieter, it's not a direct communication. The way I use it is, say, with BF4 - I join up with my buddy and if we're both playing (but don't want to put on mics and talk) we just match up in games and we're there, casual-like. It's just different. They shouldn't have called it a party.

Yeah, the new system isn't the best, but it certainly isn't broken. A change is great news, but I never saw this as an ass storm.

Holy shit with the snap stuff.

Please pull the quote from the article where I talked about Snap. I'd love to read it.

I don't expect people to just take everything i say at face value but atleast make sure you know what I wrote and what I didn't before you go accusing me (or, more importantly to me, my source) of being wrong.

UNCMark

Banned

Yeah, and now he insists he was right. smh

Please pull the quote from the article where I talked about Snap. I'd love to read it.

So you deny replying to Thuway's rumors about snap being broken and saying, "Yeah, I heard those things too"?

Orca

GAF doesn't usually allow promotion of one's own website and blog. So someone else has to do it. :p

It also doesn't allow posting unverified rumours as an insider, which is the point. When he can't verify something to GAF standards, he just posts it there and someone else posts it here. It's a backdoor past the rules. If he believes it, why not back it up instead of doing an end around?

harSon

Banned
No. That was CBoaT and Thuway.

This is the original article.

This is today's article.

Nothing in either is false (I would hope the first one being right on the money would get me atleast a little bit of trust here...).

You co-signed everything they said as being legitimate and basically the same stuff you were hearing from your sources:

ROttc9k.png

yQrfdhZ.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88177595&postcount=812
Oh lord. Yes, I heard that snap was causing problems. I'm still hearing that snap is causing problems. What i wrote about on my blog has nothing to do with snap.

I'm not doubting what you're saying here because it not only sounds plausible, because as you said, it's the right move to make - but if you're going to play this insider game - you really need to take your lumps when you're wrong. It's not the end of the world, just roll with the punches and move on. People will respect you more for it.

Gorki247

Or maybe they were too busy playing their games instead. Did you miss the attention and is this why you decided to publish another story?

Like it or not, but the party system is working exactly as they designed it. Was the old system better? Yes, but that doesn't mean the current implementation is broken. That would indicate technical failures, which isn't the case.

dude819

Since the party system and UI work pretty god damn well, proving this know-nothing knows.... nothing, I will stick with information from people who actually work in the industry.

Silky

Banned

Quality comment.

--

Gonna go with Mort on this one. Not only does this sound like something MS would do, but...dammit Mort prophecized Parappa 3 being a thing. Bless that man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom