• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Entire party system on XB1 being replaced, "may take up to a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what the problem is with the party system? I can go into a party with my brother from BF4, switch to any app and then switch to Killer Instinct and go back to BF4 while in the same party.

So what is wrong or broken with it?

I see the usual suspects are in here attempting to discredit/defend...

Come on, guys.

Sad it's busted, happy it's getting a complete overhaul. Microsoft may have taken it on the chin, but they're on the ball way quicker than Sony was in the early PS3 days

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
It also doesn't allow posting unverified rumours as an insider, which is the point. When he can't verify something to GAF standards, he just posts it there and someone else posts it here. It's a backdoor past the rules. If he believes it, why not back it up instead of doing an end around?

I thought he was verified? He should be anyways. :p

If a mod has a problem with the thread or the sources, they'll close it.

mcrommert

Banned
Seriously mods lock this thread

The originator of the information has been shown to have been wrong on everything to do with this issue...he wasn't allowed to post the original information on neogaf for a reason because its hearsay's hearsay and there is no corroborating information

Lock it

well that sucks, but at least it's going to be addressed. it's a marathon, not a sprint. Do what you have to do to fix it as soon as possible and the next 5-7 years will be better.

The party system isn't that bad and the amount of whinging about it is actually kind of tragic.

Oh no, you join a party and have to push an extra button to be able to talk to people. The sky is falling.

REV 09

It kinda sucks, but it's not like this ruins the system or anything. It's so odd that they went so far back from the 360 party integration though. Hopefully they can get it working soon.

Nags

Banned
Good that they are making an effort to change it... but when all is said and done won't it be a little too late?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Or maybe they were too busy playing their games instead. Did you miss the attention and is this why you decided to publish another story?

ibjnuTnbzqgYXn.gif

Silky

Banned

The originator of the information has been shown to have been wrong on everything to do with this issue...he wasn't allowed to post the original information on neogaf for a reason because its hearsay's hearsay and there is no corroborating information

Lock it

This thread is going places

Or maybe they were too busy playing their games instead. Did you miss the attention and is this why you decided to publish another story?

I cannot hold all of these quality comments

Wizman23

Banned
I'm not a big user of the party system (actually I never use it), but I don't see how this is a big deal. The current system may be a flawed placeholder, but as far as I know it's functional. People are acting like Xbox owners will have to wait one year to party chat... Or maybe I am missing something ?

The new version works fine. I was hopping from game to game the other night while 2 of my friends in the party were playing DR3 Co op. It just isn't as fluid and easy to use as it was on the 360 and that is what looks like is being changed.

I'm not a big user of the party system (actually I never use it), but I don't see how this is a big deal. The current system may be a flawed placeholder, but as far as I know it's functional. People are acting like Xbox owners will have to wait one year to party chat... Or maybe I am missing something ?

Some people have had more issues than others, but most people I know who use it coupled with the general impressions and posts of people who are using it on this forum regularly don't seem to indicate that everyone is having serious issues with it other than the inconvenience of occasional spottiness with party chat turning itself off/refusing to turn on/preventing seamless party migration from game to game every time. Those are the biggest issues with party chat, but it's really not broken so much as it is buggy depending on game and scenario. I've had instances of it turning off party chat or making jumping from game to game, keeping the party of friends together, a bit stop-start and in one case, preventing matching though that may be limited to the third party game I was playing at the time instead. Most of the time I've personally used it had no problems, though. Issues need to be addressed and improved, certainly, but far from busted, IME.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

Lock it

Did I miss something where mortimer was banned from posting info? (That's an actual question, not being snarky here.)

So you deny replying to Thuway's rumors about snap being broken and saying, "Yeah, I heard those things too"?

You co-signed everything they said as being legitimate and basically the same stuff you were hearing from your sources:

ROttc9k.png

yQrfdhZ.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88177595&postcount=812

I'm not doubting what you're saying here because it not only sounds plausible, because as you said, it's the right move to make - but if you're going to play this insider game - you really need to take your lumps when you're wrong. It's not the end of the world, just roll with the punches and move on. People will respect you more for it.

Oh snap.

Lock it

Nice thread whining and backseat modding. He wasn't wrong on everything, the party system is game by game basis like said and IPv6 is having issues for sure.

You co-signed everything they said as being legitimate and basically the same stuff you were hearing from your sources:

ROttc9k.png

yQrfdhZ.png

I'm not doubting what you're saying here because it not only sounds plausible, but as you said, the right move to make - but if you're going to play this insider game - you really need to take your lumps when you're wrong. It's not the end of the world, just roll with the punches and move on. People will respect you more for it.

For fuck's sake how many times do I have to explain this.

Thuway makes a bunch of tweets with info he got in a PM from CBoaT. I know this because I got the EXACT same PM from CBoaT.

Now let's break down my tweet:

"For the record... everything @thuway is tweeting right now is what I heard as well."

TRUE! Because I got the PMs from CBoaT.

"So either verification... or we have the same sources."

We have the same source. It's CBoaT. SO THAT MEANS IM NOT VERIFYING IT. It's verification ***OR*** we have the same sources. It was the latter.

I did pass on, in that thread - which, mind you, was after it was proven that snap was NOT broken, i said that I had heard it was but never posted it because it didn't seem like a big deal to me.

I've been wrong about multiple things this year if you guys want to nail me on something.... it's there. But this isn't one of them.

Fuck I need some sleep.

KoopaTheCasual

Like it or not, but the party system is working exactly as they designed it. Was the old system better? Yes, but that doesn't mean the current implementation is broken. That would indicate technical failures, which isn't the case.
The salt floweth.

teiresias

How do game developers even work on software that utilizes this functionality in the meantime? I mean, even if they have this change out before Titanfall wouldn't they need to have an appropriate API in hand soon, if not now, for this to be properly coded into the game?

If the VoIP implementation is currently handled by the game itself, do the devs take a leap of faith and not work on their own implementation relying on MS to have all of this done in time to not impact the game's release schedule - or do they expend resources on their own solution that may turn out to be wasted effort if MS does get it done in time?

Dude your original article had all kinds of Shit it in it that turned out to not be true. You really should consider stopping posting info you can't verify yourself as you admittedly have no idea whether it's true or not. I mean really what's the point?

Can you point all "all kinds of shit" that turned out not to be true. Add some substance to your post. It's easy to point out all the stuff he got wrong without actually backing it up.

Lock it

Multiple sources have to verify or the poster will be banned. Again, show how everything to do with this issue has been wrong on Mort's port. Seems like you're desperately white knighting and trying to backseat mod instead of providing substance to your accusations

mcrommert

Banned
How do game developers even work on software that utilizes this functionality in the meantime? I mean, even if they have this change out before Titanfall wouldn't they need to have an appropriate API in hand soon, if not now, for this to be properly coded into the game?

If the VoIP implementation is currently handled by the game itself, do the devs take a leap of faith and not work on their own implementation relying on MS to have all of this done in time to not impact the game's release schedule - or do they expend resources on their own solution that may turn out to be wasted effort if MS does get it done in time?

The voip implementation is not handled by the game...but it is game knowing (party is based around a game, knows the name of the game, and what game inside the game the person is in)...they can just swap in a different version If you have used the xboxone software you know that everything is designed to be updated independently so they don't have the issues that the 360 had where large parts of the system are permanent and unable to be changed

Smokey

ROttc9k.png

yQrfdhZ.png

I'm not doubting what you're saying here because it not only sounds plausible, because as you said, it's the right move to make - but if you're going to play this insider game - you really need to take your lumps when you're wrong. It's not the end of the world, just roll with the punches and move on. People will respect you more for it.

Oh dear

I thought I remembered him saying that snap was an issue, but couldn't remember the exact quotes. While I enjoy ps4s ui a little better for ease of use at the moment, I have had zero issues with snap since I gotthe system day 1.

Did I miss something where mortimer was banned from posting info? (That's an actual question, not being snarky here.)

Nope, just another person not understanding the info.

When i wrote my original article I talked to Bish to verify some of the info because, as im sure you guys know, Bish knows stuff (hence all of his talk about going into the bunker). After that conversation, which will remain private (but I assure you it went just fine) I asked if I should post it here or on my site just in case he didn't want to deal with the shitstorm. He had signed off for the night so out of respect I put it on my blog instead of posting it here.

If Bish was mad about this im 99999999% certain he would have told me and banned me. He did neither.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
I think it is crucial to quote this post, because nearly every single thing you (mortimer), thuway, and CBOAT passed off as immutable fact was either vastly overblown or simply factually untrue.

What you posted today sounds a. legitimate, b. reasonable, and c. necessary. But by and large the party system works (albeit its not user friendly) without a hitch. It almost never crashes. You can switch games seamlessly. Snapping is nearly flawless on my box. The voice commands are by and large solid. The unit is cool, quiet, and no immediate hardware issues as hinted at. The online infrastructure for COD and BF4 (the only games I have played on both) is vastly more stable on the X1.

So yeah, I am quoting this post because while Microsoft has done all kinds of stupid things with the X1, and in many ways the UI is a model of how to overcomplicate the simple for no goddamn reason, the group of insiders was wrong or misinformed about nearly every "ass-storm" "bish is going to crawl into a hole and die" and other ridiculous controversies.

ROttc9k.png

yQrfdhZ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom