• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

This is a weird "leak", and people are already going nuts over it...It's weird to say the NX is at 900p and 60fps specifically, I mean, the Wii U can do 1080p 60 if the game is simple enough, so what do those figures actually mean? What the power level targets for most first party games? What it streams to the portable?

What do you call the PS4 for example? It does 1080p 30 a lot, 900p 30 sometimes...

Ascribing those numbers in isolation to it is just weird...

Hasney

The 900p is likely for parity between the "console" and "handheld" sides of it. They are likely aiming for the exact same visual output on both. If it is a single physical device, it is likely the best they could do on the handheld screen, while it would output to a TV using HDMI at 900p.

The NX will likely look much like the WiiU controller without the physical console. It may have a small receiver that it sends picture signal too (like WiiU controller from console, but in reverse), so you don't need to run HDMI directly from the controller...

I even doubt that. It's 480p vs whatever the game resolution is outputting right now. I'd avatar bet the whole console is not running games at 900p exclusively.

Gurnlei

I'm hoping the system is just aiming for higher quality graphics that can't run at a stable 1080/60 and Nintendo just saw 900p as good enough.

SenkiDala

900p60 is PS4-level.

Yeah... It's pretty funny to see all those people "Ewww if that's true, there's no way I'm touching this thing, ewwww"... But they're so fund of playing their Xbox One and PS4 in 900p60 (at most) or 1080p30, or 900p30, or even less... And what about the fact that a loooot (most) of AAA games that can't even keep a stable 30fps ingame...

Honestly, true 900p60fps would be totally ok. Xenoblade is 720p30 and it's gorgous, Bayonetta 2 is 720p60 and it's great. So 900p60... Honestly, no problem.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that the NX is already a finished console design-wise that's launching this year. There is no need for Nintendo conduct any market research, and even if they did, they would handle it in-house.

Agreed. The hardware is done at this point if they are launching it in 2016.

Ok, I haven't read the thread, but people seem to be freaking out.

900p seems to be the native screen resolution of the handheld device. The stationary console will of course be capable of 1080p. Wii U is! That's just probably the target resolution for 3rd party games (many of which run in the resolution already on Xbone and PS4. People say you can barely notice the difference too.)

Excite!

georly

Reading the Twitter posts of "Emily Rogers" who apparently knows what that survey contained, it does seem like they're speculating hypothetical NX features and asking survey participants what their reaction would be if the console had those features.

VOCtiE0.png

Nintendo gets European sales data from GfK to monitor the health of the retail video game industry but their relationship with GfK Group is largely tangential outside of it.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that the NX is already a finished console design-wise that's launching this year. There is no need for Nintendo conduct any market research, and even if they did, they would handle it in-house.

Neat. Maybe they just wanna know so they can predict how nintendo's stock will fare this year. Make up stuff about NX based on info out there, see how market currently reacts to that information, determine how strong nintendo might be in near future if all the predictions end up true. Seems logical.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
There's no way the handheld will run games at 900p / 60fps. Not in the near future. Stop with this insanity. Unless you want to buy a handheld more expensive than the Rift.

NolbertoS

I don't know why GAF think Nintendo will match power with PS4 and Xbox One on CPU and pixels. They won't go for 4K Blu-ray, 1000p +, and Dolby Digital soundnor something. They're goinf for something not thr norm or cheap PC parts that they can make a profit. Since I'm not a graphics whore like half of GAF, then colour me intrigued, but I wanna see hardware spec rumours more than anything.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Reading the Twitter posts of "Emily Rogers" who apparently knows what that survey contained, it does seem like they're speculating hypothetical NX features and asking survey participants what their reaction would be if the console had those features.

VOCtiE0.png

Nintendo gets European sales data from GfK to monitor the health of the retail video game industry but their relationship with GfK Group is largely tangential outside of it.

Neat. This should be put in the OP too.

This is bound to be market research, not a spec/features list. People need to chill out. Once again sensationalist kack from 'reliable' sources...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Does it mean max output of 900p for games or targeting 900p? I'm not sure either necessarily makes sense.

Yeah... It's pretty funny to see all those people "Ewww if that's true, there's no way I'm touching this thing, ewwww"... But they're so fund of playing their Xbox One and PS4 in 900p60 (at most) or 1080p30, or 900p30, or even less... And what about the fact that a loooot (most) of AAA games that can't even keep a stable 30fps ingame...

Honestly, true 900p60fps would be totally ok. Xenoblade is 720p30 and it's gorgous, Bayonetta 2 is 720p60 and it's great. So 900p60... Honestly, no problem.

You know, you really shouldn't point out how games on other platforms can't keep a stable FPS and then name-drop Bayonetta 2, which doesn't exactly hold its FPS well...

ZOONAMI

PS4 supports 4k video playback.

OT: I very much doubt this is legit. I doubt the res would be lower than the Wii U, plus FPS would be down to the software, not the hardware.

PS4 does not support 4K, there's no option to change UI to run at 4K, and no video streaming service has 4k content for PS4.

Metal B

What a disgusting thread. There is "rumor" in the title and the majority just takes it as fact, because Nintendo equals bad hardware decision. If this is fake, then the fakers know how to sell a Nintendo rumor, just put all the known facts, some basic stuff, bad hardware stats and everybody belives it.

It tells a lot of the mindset of the people here. But Nintendo also need to change there image, because this happens too regular.

Steejee

Does it mean max output of 900p for games or targeting 900p? I'm not sure either necessarily makes sense.

It *could* make some sort of sense if it was for the eventual NX Handheld, but as is it screams 'Throw something in that sounds semi-plausible but will kick up a shitstorm'.

iMax

nj4xnh1.png

Nintendo has a presentation to investors scheduled on February 2nd at 8 PM ET.

They'll probably start talking about NX then.

If not in February, then they'll reveal it like how they revealed the Wii U (in late April).

That's their fiscal year, so I believe they're reporting prior earnings not predictions.

Plus, whilst they may talk vaguely about their projections, don't expect them to go into any worthwhile details.

tronic307

doesnt that depend on the fidelity and resources required by the software?
Of course, but assuming AAA levels of fidelity, that's too high for even a hypothetical 9th gen handheld to hit consistently. It's not like Nintendo's art styles automatically cut GPU usage in half.

Jezbollah

This is very fake. Why would it be limited to 900p? Wii U can do 1080p.

It depends if their NX ecosystem allows you to take the NX handheld device on you when you go away from your house.

I agree with a few here that have said the 900p is for parity between the home console and the controller - I suspect that the controller is a 3DS type device powerful enough to be it's own console in its right so you can game from home, leave the house and continue as you were on the move.

Gaming on the move, then going back home and connecting to the TV device to continue. Sort of how you might listen to Spotify on the move on your smart phone and earphones, to going back to your home and connecting to your bluetooth device to play music at home.

I think NX is a two console ecosystem. The issue of course is getting both hardware elements to a specification that allows for maximum development potential without making it prohibitively expensive.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay looks like I messed up with that 1080p on PS4 thing. Most are 1080p.

Most are 900p on Xbox One, though.

I believe 900p is a target and also perhaps the native resolution of the handheld device.

Considering many current gen games run in that resolution (and struggle to maintain framerate at that), it makes a great deal of sense to me. Could also be that they are using embedded memory as a framebuffer again and 900p is the best fit for the amount (32 MB? 64 MB?) that they have decided on.

Oh man, at the people freaking out at 900p. Have you not paid attention to any Xbox One software? Did you really expect NX to trounce PS4 in hardware?

Haines

Banned
The 900p is likely for parity between the "console" and "handheld" sides of it. They are likely aiming for the exact same visual output on both. If it is a single physical device, it is likely the best they could do on the handheld screen, while it would output to a TV using HDMI at 900p.

The NX will likely look much like the WiiU controller without the physical console. It may have a small receiver that it sends picture signal too (like WiiU controller from console, but in reverse), so you don't need to run HDMI directly from the controller...

Or you know. The 900p was written by a 12 year old getting the internet riled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom