• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodin

With Microsoft and Sony having huge media arms with a lot of say power and influence, this behavior can almost be seen as extortion.

Information Age is much crazier than I imagined growing up.

I don't think that's the case, but regardless, all i'm saying is that Nintendo should start protecting themselves by releasing PR statements to counter false rumors that hurt their image. Which they never did with the Wii U and it hurt them pretty badly.

Reading the Twitter posts of "Emily Rogers" who apparently knows what that survey contained, it does seem like they're speculating hypothetical NX features and asking survey participants what their reaction would be if the console had those features.

VOCtiE0.png

Nintendo gets European sales data from GfK to monitor the health of the retail video game industry but their relationship with GfK Group is largely tangential outside of it.

Furthermore, it is my opinion that the NX is already a finished console design-wise that's launching this year. There is no need for Nintendo conduct any market research, and even if they did, they would handle it in-house.
Quoting this for new page.

Ok, I haven't read the thread, but people seem to be freaking out.

900p seems to be the native screen resolution of the handheld device. The stationary console will of course be capable of 1080p. Wii U is! That's just probably the target resolution for 3rd party games (many of which run in the resolution already on Xbone and PS4. People say you can barely notice the difference too.)

Excite!
900p for the handheld is impossible. But if you're being sarcastic...

giphy.gif

:)

Ansatz

There's no downside to 900p compared to 720p playing on a 1080p display right? Same aspect ratio and all. I guess people's disappointment comes from the fact that it's not higher

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I believe 900p is a target and also perhaps the native resolution of the handheld device.

Considering many current gen games run in that resolution (and struggle to maintain framerate at that), it makes a great deal of sense to me. Could also be that they are using embedded memory as a framebuffer again and 900p is the best fit for the amount (32 MB? 64 MB?) that they have decided on.

Wouldn't 900p be way too much for a handheld? With games running at 60 fps? The costs, the battery consumption etc.

Galava

900p?

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

Fucking lol (unless this is the handheld in which this would be a decent and welcome jump from the 3DS).

You are all laughing at 900p, but as long as all it's games are at minimum 900p/60fps is already more than ps4/X1. I'd rather have this for 300$ than a 500$ nintendo machine.

Neff

Total, total horseshit.

Why is it only the diehard Nintendo fan base that eats up every piece of obviously false information and treats it as even possibly true?

The thirst is so real.

Actually it seems to me to be the other way around. Very little of this correlates with what those with an interest of following NX will know about it by following interviews with Nintendo VIPs and so forth. You could only buy into this if you weren't following what was going on.

Not sure if anyone genuinely is taking this as fact or anything more than rumor. But it does serve to illustrate NCL needs to let the speculation settle down buy putting out some actual information to control misinformation.

Regarding the 900p/60fps

1. Nintendo has put out some gorgeous games on the Wii U hardware because they are masters of "art style". I'm not too concerned that they'll be unable to make their games look good. In comparison, the majority of Wii U games are 720p, so it's still technically an upgrade.

2. If this is implying that Nintendo plans to make the majority of their games 60fps, I'll happily take the resolution downgrade in favor of a library of games running at a higher framerate. Lots of games on Wii U are 60fps and I think it makes a huge contribution to how those games look and feel.

3. Most importantly, the NX needs to be inexpensive. Like, $200 to $250 for the base console. If they are compromising on hardware in order for the price to be low, it makes sense to me.

When it says achievements I feel it's going to be something different than what first comes to people's minds.

I hope it's something that can actually be utilized. Like, Achievement: Collect All Star Coins in Super Mario NX. Reward: 25% off your next eShop purchase. Then you get some sort of commemorative hat or stamp for completion.

There's no downside to 900p compared to 720p playing on a 1080p display right? Same aspect ratio and all. I guess people's disappointment comes from the fact that it's not higher
For a system releasing in 2016, even if half the games run at 900p/60 that's disappointing.

brawly

Seems legit. Going from a standard of 720p60fps to 900p60fps is definitely something Nintendo would do and get away with.

That better not be the maximum though.

Oersted

900/60... Is this some kind of new measure? Also.. looks more fake than my 2 millions dollars.

It is a survey based on rumors and guesswork by a german organization.

OP did a piss poor job of communicating that.

Seems legit. Going from a standard of 720p60fps to 900p60fps is definitely something Nintendo would do and get away with.

720p/60fps isn't standard on any plattform.

I hope it's something that can actually be utilized. Like, Achievement: Collect All Star Coins in Super Mario NX. Reward: 25% off your next eShop purchase. Then you get some sort of commemorative hat or stamp for completion.

None of that is going to happen. Expect more along the lines of "buy ten first party games and get 5% off Mario 64 on the e shop"

MrV4ltor

Not sure if anyone genuinely is taking this as fact or anything more than rumor. But it does serve to illustrate NCL needs to let the speculation settle down buy putting out some actual information to control misinformation.

The think it actually serves to illustrate is that GAF is a fucking madhouse sometimes lol

I so don't want my first Nintendo home console to be a home console/handheld hybrid.

900p ehh w.e. it's Nintendo I'm not expecting high specs. Gameplay is king and I'm sure they'll deliver.

Suuuuure it is.
The sensor bar is two Infrared LEDs and 30 cm of plastic. The production cost of it must be like 4 cents a piece. It sure is affordable enough to just throw it into the package so people have the possibility to actually play the Wi games they bought on the eShop.

I'm calling it now - if this thing doesn't have a traditional PS4/XBO type of controller, it will bomb in the US.

If the Wii U Pro Controller is any indication then they sure as hell have a traditional controller in the box.

PS4 does not support 4K, there's no option to change UI to run at 4K, and no video streaming service has 4k content for PS4.

"The PS4 will be enabled for 4K resolution for videos, the interface, and movies through Hulu or Netflix, but it will not have the capability to display games in 4K.

In the same interview where Yoshida revealed more about the PS4's 3D capabilities he also stated:

"The PS4 supports 4K output, but only for photos and videos; not games. PS4 games do not work on 4K.""

Source: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/3D_Technology_and_4K_Resolution

Please google things you don't know about before typing.

So practically only when used as the Wii U gamepad.

Remember the hint we got about the handheld res? "Higher than many think but lower than some hope for?" Well, a few were predicting a 1080p handheld based on smartphones. This report fits that Gaf leak very well.

Games will run in various resolutions, as they do now. A game that is not graphically demanding like Plants vs Zombies or whatnot could do 900p native.

Galava

Seeing how WiiU is already doing some 1080p games, NX is probably targeting for a bare minimum of 900p/60fps. Nintendo would probably achieve 1080/60fps with it's games with ease.

B_Bech

Whomever is answering this "survey" better say 1080p or bust. Does Nintendo really want another console to be DOA to support a gimmick no one wants? This handheld thing is absolutely echoing the gamepad debacle if it's forcing the resolution to a locked 900. Hell, even Wii U hit 1080. I'd love to just scoff this rumor off as false, but Nintendo's been a glutton for punishment and it feels too real.

You already have a weak current gen system Nintendo. Wake up and try to compete with the PS4.

Ansatz

For a system releasing in 2016, even if half the games run at 900p/60 that's disappointing.

We're not getting a console where the majority of Nintendo's 1st party games run at 1080p60fps while games like Zelda are 1080p30fps

That's not happening.

Plus I think the console is coming out in 2017, only the handheld will be released this year.

Astral Dog

Lol, that looks fake as hell, not many details just enough to go with what we already know.

Not that this could not be true or likely, just that its not even rumor materal.

RAWi

So it could be...

900p/60 fps at Ultra Settings (for giving it a name)
1080/60 fps with dips at High Settings
and so on...
or 1080/60 fps with Standard Settings.

It just depends on the perspective, right? So this tells us so little about the machine.

But the 4k streaming feature sounds quite interesting.

No, if the bolded was true for half of the games, it would definitely be a step above what we're getting on the PS4 and X1. Plenty of modern games are at 30fps. For me, that's fine, but placing an emphasis on framerate instead of visual fidelity is a very logical choice and -- in my humble opinion -- would help keep them competitive.

Also, we haven't even gotten price yet.

I don't understand why people want Nintendo to make an "everything" box even though they haven't done that since....ever? Arguably the NES was, but even the SNES was severely lacking in sports games.

Rodin

No, because even if this rumor made any sense we still wouldn't know anything about fidelity to give some context to those numbers. But at the same fidelity, 900p/60fps>1080p/30fps.

Also, there aren't many complex and computationally heavy PS4 games that run at 1080p/60fps.

Regardless of this stupid rumor, do you really expect Nintendo to target high end 2016 specs? Like, really?

A sensor bar? Does this mean Wii controllers and possibly a Wii U gamepad will be supported?

I'd be more likely to immediately jump onto the NX if it can automatically play Wii and Wii U games. Especially if they actually have your digital purchases transfer over.

BibiMaghoo

Handheld better have the battery of the gods if it is going to be 900p.

My phone is 1080p, it's a 2014 model. You can get 3 days running of a phone battery these days. I don't understand why people think this is an issue.

Also my fucking phone is 1080p. 900p just does not cut it.

Why is close to noone reading the 4k videostreaming and 60fps/900p part?

This thread is fucking bizarroworld.

Because there is fuck all 4k content out there, so no one cares about it unless they have already splashed on a 4k TV. There will certainly be games to play. At 900p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Remember the hint we got about the handheld res? "Higher than many think but lower than some hope for?" Well, a few were predicting a 1080p handheld based on smartphones. This report fits that Gaf leak very well.

Games will run in various resolutions, as they do now. A game that is not graphically demanding like Plants vs Zombies or whatnot could do 900p native.

I don't buy it. The price would be too big and the battery life questionable.

My phone is 1080p, it's a 2014 model. You can get 3 days running of a phone battery these days. I don't understand why people think this is an issue.

Also my fucking phone is 1080p. 900p just does not cut it.

Play a 60 fps game on it for 2 hours.

Also how much does your phone costs without subsidy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom