• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Framerate and res are arbitrary elements decided on by the developers. Now Nintendo may think that 900p and 60fps is the 'sweet spot' for what they are using the games for, but its obvious that 4k res and 60fps would be the maximum output resolution on the machine due to HDMI 2.0

In any case, i don't expect NX to be all that powerful anyway and probably not even comparable to PS4 or XB1, although far stronger than the Wii U. Miyamoto already said last year that the NX is all about going in with a low cost for maximum penetration, and that they were not trying to compete with their rivals.

Which as long as its capable of making beautiful games, has a traditional control scheme, and is more supported by nintendo, that's all that matters to me

Slushibe

Neo Member
While this seems very Nintendo like, I still don't believe it. The source itself is questionable all in itself and I doubt Nintendo would aim for 900p/60fps if there isn't another kind of gimmick that's going to be used. Nintendo won't screw it up again, right guys? T_T

ZOONAMI

Source: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/3D_Technology_and_4K_Resolution

Yes it does. Why did you not google first before making a mistake like this?

Why don't you read my post? There is no 4K content available on the PS4, and you cannot set the UI to run in 4K. Yoshida saying it supports 4K content before releasing in 2013 means jack shit in 2016. It doesn't have hdmi 2.0 or hdcp 2.2, and thus will not support streaming 4k content from Netflix or Amazon.

If it physically does not play any 4k content, it doesn't support 4k. They might release a new PS4 sku that supports 4k media, but that remains to be seen.

Roo

The sensor bar is two Infrared LEDs and 30 cm of plastic. The production cost of it must be like 4 cents a piece. It sure is affordable enough to just throw it into the package so people have the possibility to actually play the Wi games they bought on the eShop.

Yeah, it makes sense to throw the sensor bar into the box if our current Wii U purchases will be transfered to the new console AND if they plan on keep releasing Wii/ Wii U digital titles on NX.

-Horizon-

My phone is 1080p, it's a 2014 model. You can get 3 days running of a phone battery these days. I don't understand why people think this is an issue.

Also my fucking phone is 1080p. 900p just does not cut it.

Do you play games and keep the screen on all the time with wifi on?
Or is it on standby for most of a day with the screen off?

BiggNife

My phone is 1080p, it's a 2014 model. You can get 3 days running of a phone battery these days. I don't understand why people think this is an issue.

Your phone also probably costs $400-$600 unsubsidized, though.

Also, aren't a lot of Xbox One games running at 900p? Not sure why everyone's losing their shit over this.

Ombala

"The PS4 will be enabled for 4K resolution for videos, the interface, and movies through Hulu or Netflix, but it will not have the capability to display games in 4K.

In the same interview where Yoshida revealed more about the PS4's 3D capabilities he also stated:

"The PS4 supports 4K output, but only for photos and videos; not games. PS4 games do not work on 4K.""

Source: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/3D_Technology_and_4K_Resolution

Please google things you don't know about before typing.
You mean it support 4K via a USB memory or something?
As far as I know we have no WY too stream 4K content on PS4.

Why don't you read my post? There is no 4K content available on the PS4, and you cannot set the UI to run in 4K. Yoshida saying it supports 4K content before releasing in 2013 means jack shit in 2016. It doesn't have hdmi 2.0 or hdcp 2.2, and thus will not support streaming 4k content from Netflix or Amazon.

If it physically does not play any 4k content, it doesn't support 4k. They might release a new PS4 sku that supports 4k media, but that remains to be seen.

No it doesn't. Show me a source that proves otherwise that isn't a wiki.

Yes PS4 supports 4K, here is a video of it working.

Content in 4K on PS4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e8fumc5sQY

Because there is fuck all 4k content out there, so no one cares about it unless they have already splashed on a 4k TV. There will certainly be games to play. At 900p

yeah now take a look at the quality of games you play on your phone, and the battery life when doing only gaming

ClearData

ikVcXDM.png

In a world where Nintendo didn't back out of the PlayStation deal. According to science doesn't such a universe exist? Dear God, an alternate me is playing Mario 3D World and Zelda on PS4. That lucky bastard!

Oersted

Everyone's complained about the 900p part lol

Read my post again. I meant 900p in combination with 60 fps and 4k videostreaming. Most read nothing but 900p, which already doesn't make any sense, in context with 60 fps and 4k it is just plain fucking dumb.

Kimawolf

Remember the hint we got about the handheld res? "Higher than many think but lower than some hope for?" Well, a few were predicting a 1080p handheld based on smartphones. This report fits that Gaf leak very well.

Games will run in various resolutions, as they do now. A game that is not graphically demanding like Plants vs Zombies or whatnot could do 900p native.

Yeah it makes a lot of sense. Add in the SCD thing and I can see it using the extra "grunt" to output at a higher resolution when using one at home or something. Makes sense to me.

knkng

This rumor just doesn't make any sense. Why would Nintendo reveal 900p/60 as a console spec?

Also, even if it is true, I love how everybody is acting like this will be the maximum output (essentially less than what the Wii U is capable of). What if this is going to be their absolute minimum output as a standard for every game?

It's still a bullshit rumor regardless.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Isn't 900p at 60FPS better than most XBone games?

-Horizon-

Remember the hint we got about the handheld res? "Higher than many think but lower than some hope for?" Well, a few were predicting a 1080p handheld based on smartphones. This report fits that Gaf leak very well.

Games will run in various resolutions, as they do now. A game that is not graphically demanding like Plants vs Zombies or whatnot could do 900p native.

That'd still be pretty crazy to me. The battery life is gonna be abysmal.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
That'd presumably just be what the decoder on the GPU can handle, which is usually separate hardware.
The display driver (the IC) on the console should definitely output higher than 900p - why limit web browsing to 900p? Moreover that 4K is in the same leak.

The only scenario where this resolution limitation makes sense is for 1:1 game streaming to the handheld, though they did not shoot for 1:1 on the wiiU so I don't see why they should now.

I'll gladly take a 900P/60FPS standard. Please and thanks.

I think i can agree with that. I have plenty of games on Xbox One af 900p, Witcher 3 for example and they look fine on my 55 inch. But if all these games are going to be 60fps standard on the new system....damn. I think i'd rather pick that than 1080p/30fps. I love 60fps.

Oersted

I think i can agree with that. I have plenty of games on Xbox One af 900p, Witcher 3 for example and they look fine on my 55 inch. But if all these games are going to be 60fps standard on the new system....damn. I think i'd rather pick that than 1080p/30fps. I love 60fps.

Resolution and framerate are decided on any plattform at any time by every single developer alone.

Just stop. You physically cannot set the PS4 to run in 4K. The most it can do is 1080p. Look at the fucking video settings on your PS4.

Did you actually read the page? Sony themselves are saying the PS4 will play 4K media like video and photos. What part do you not understand?

BibiMaghoo

Do you play games and keep the screen on all the time with wifi on?
Or is it on standby for most of a day with the screen off?

Wifi is on and I play games, also VR which takes a hit on the battery for sure. The screen is not on 100% of the time obviously. So long as the battery can be removed so spares and improvements can be had/made, then it's no issue unless you really want a weeks play from one charge.

Your phone also probably costs $400-$600 unsubsidized, though.

Also, aren't a lot of Xbox One games running at 900p? Not sure why everyone's losing their shit over this.

No, you can get my phone and newer 1080p phones with better batteries for £200-£250 on pay as you go. Yes Xbox games and even PS4 games run at 900p, but as many have said, this is a new system and should not match or be lesser than older systems. It kills their desirability, because people do not want to pay more to buy a new thing that is worse than the old thing they own. It's really easy to understand.

People continue to lose their shit over X1 games being 900p.

Personally, I think 60fps being a standard (if that's what this is implying) is significantly more interesting. A system that mostly runs 60fps games while PS4 and X1 continue to battle over resolution would be a very smart zig for Nintendo to pull.

It'd keep them relevant in hardware/performance talks and also provide a very noticeable difference for a lot of players going from a 30fps game on PS4/X1 to a 60fps game on NX.

spekkeh

Banned
Guys, for God's sake, 900p/60fps doesn't mean it will ONLY be 900p, geez.
Boggles the mind we're on page 15 and there are still people who believe this. Apparently GAF is only technologically literate about their console/pc of choice being 1080p times better than someone else's.

Also it's a good survey question because I find 900p60 > 1080p60, but others will not, so definitely something to figure out what is the better marketing message here.

73V3N

Banned
Funny to see some people freakout about the rumoured 900p, and noticing some of those are the same people that "don't care about resolution or framerate" on every pc vs console thread

ConceptX

Sensor Bar?

Surely they won't have Wii BC? and I thought Wii U BC would be a push.

They need to move away from the Wii and Wii U, not continue it.

Not sure I buy it to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom