• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

This has to be one of the most eyebrow raising "leaks" we have had so far.

For starters, no reason for a sensor bar. Even the Wii U regular edition didn't have one because it was already added to the gamepad.

The 900p resolution is also silly, MAYBE it makes sense if its the Handheld output, but for the main console it would be a step back compared to what Wii U can do (Who runs 1080p when needs to).

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter. If they nail a $250 price point with 3 powerful launch titles (3D Mario, Zelda and one niche nintendo franchise) the console is going to sell at least decently.

I mean it could be something closer to the Kinect/PSCamera but just marketed as a sensor bar for consistency. But you're right, it's weird.

"They" being GfK who most likely knows nothing about the NX and nothing about tech but googled some console stuff and found that 900p is something people talk about.

900p is not a thing. It's an arbitrary design choice/compromise developers sometimes make, not a technical spec for a console. Even if it turns out that Nintendos current first gen NX titles all run at 900p it would be a silly thing to put as bullet point for the console.

I understand that it's not a spec that a home console would be bound to, but what if they mean that it is the screen resolution of the handheld? They do reference both in that list.

Elandyll

Banned
Incorrect. The PS3 Slim that I got just a year ago did not come with an HDMI cable, to my annoyance. I don't even believe it came with AV cables.
Aye. But the original poster was mentionning the PS4, and that has been sold with an HDMI cable (and headset) since the beginning.

jmizzal

This info comes was sent to Tamaki on Twitter and he cropped it for the source's anonymity:
CZK7oYAWAAEBrhh.png:large

Source

Here we go juicy NX rumors, sounds nice

Donkey Kong I guess we know Retros game lol jk

SephLuis

This looks like a fake. 900p is something I would expect for a portable unit, but the rest look like more of a console thing. It`s like Wii U 2 really and I don`t think that`s Nintendo direction

jax

Banned
What's wrong with 900p? Half the Xbox One games can't get that high and people still buy those consoles.

HotHamBoy

I actually do have the box and should've looked at it before writing stuff I don't know because it actually did come with an HDMI cable.
Strange, maybe I misremembered something.
Did PS3s come with an HDMI cable? I don't know. D:

STILL, my point still stands that Nintendo put an HDMI cable in the Wii U box when they easily could've used their leftover Wii RGB or S-Video cables, but they didn't.

But nobody included those this gen because it isn't the standard anymore. Remember, at the launch of last gen HDTVs were far less common and far more expensive. Wii U is the only current gen console that even has RGB output.

Also, it better include at damn HDMI cable considering it's $300 and underpowered as shit.

This looks like a fake. 900p is something I would expect for a portable unit, but the rest look like more of a console thing. It`s like Wii U 2 really and I don`t think that`s Nintendo direction

900p seems way too high for a portable unit. 720p is the max I'm expecting, it will probably be similar to Vita at 544p.

RdN

900p makes absolutely no sense.

If Nintendo really goes that route, I fear for what will be of this system, unless they somehow pull a "Wii" phenomenon again.

Elandyll

Banned
Lol...that is such a fake. How is it possible this thread has so many pages?
Not saying it is actually real, but a market survey does not have to have actual "real" specs to ask consumers how they would feel if a console had X or Y spec.
It's a "What If" scenario, that is all.

900 p is no big deal really. Still confused by all the Donkey Kong hate. I get that people want a new Metroid from Retro but it's hypocritical to say anyone can make Donkey Kong Country. If they could, Paon or Kozumi would have. Obviously they couldn't. Neither franchise should suffer because of one another.
To be fair, we haven't seen anyone try and fail to make a new DK game, while we have seen that from Metroid. Twice, arguably, if you want to count Federation Force. I agree neither franchise should (or needs to) duffer because of the other, but Metroid needs the love more right now than DK, which is still going strong as of this generation.

Dragon

Banned
What are you babbling about? PS4's come with an HDMI cable.

I don't think the PS3 included one. Maybe that's what he was remembering.

In any case, Nintendo doesn't have a great track record, I mean they didn't include a friggin power adapter for a portable system, right? People shouldn't be throwing stones about this stuff.

Oersted

Not saying it is actually real, but a market survey does not have to have actual "real" specs to ask consumers how they would feel if a console had X or Y spec.
It's a "What If" scenario, that is all.

How many in this thread do you think understand that this is a "What if.." situation?

Ridley327

Wait, are we seriously discussing an HDMI cable in the box? Every console on the market comes with one right now, including the Wii U. I even distinctly remember a lot of good feelings around Nintendo for that decision, since it wasn't standard for the PS3 and MS only had it around for the Zephyr 360s.

Iorv3th

What's wrong with 900p? Half the Xbox One games can't get that high and people still buy those consoles.

I think it's just dissapointing if true that a console released 3 years after ps4 xboxone (assume nx is this fall) is going to not be any more powerful? I mean you can't really tell that though by saying 900p. Not all games would be 900p so that seems like a pretty bad metric and I don't think anyone would use that when doing a survey.

Vena

900p ? What year are we?

In the year where 900p isn't a spec but a screen resolution.

I think it's just dissapointing if true that a console released 3 years after ps4 xboxone (assume nx is this fall) is going to not be any more powerful? I mean you can't really tell that though by saying 900p. Not all games would be 900p so that seems like a pretty bad metric and I don't think anyone would use that when doing a survey.

Same fidelity 900/60 requires more than 1080/30. There is no information here because it is too limited.

HotHamBoy

I think 900p is perfectly fine for the target audience: families. Face it, Nintendo has always considered families before anyone else. I think the concept of "hey, What if the Wii U gamepad wasn't a piece of shit and you could actually leave the house playing your game on it instead of being restricted to a 20 ft distance? Is a great idea, especially for people with kids.

I know all us nerds weep for numbers but honestly, has Nintendo shown any regard for that in the last decade?

SalvaPot

I don't think the PS3 included one. Maybe that's what he was remembering.

In any case, Nintendo doesn't have a great track record, I mean they didn't include a friggin power adapter for a portable system, right? People shouldn't be throwing stones about this stuff.

Not including a power adapter on the n3ds is like the only thing they have ever done like this, its a valid and recent complain but a far cry from a "track record". If anything their track record is positive.

jmizzal

Overreaction to leaks that may not even be true: the thread.

Watch after E3 we will still have people thinking the NX can only output 900p just because of this rumor, even if Nintendo announce games at 1080p.

it happens all the time calm down people its a rumor

Sponge

Banned
To be fair, we haven't seen anyone try and fail to make a new DK game, while we have seen that from Metroid. Twice, arguably, if you want to count Federation Force. I agree neither franchise should (or needs to) duffer because of the other, but Metroid needs the love more right now than DK, which is still going strong as of this generation.

We did and it was Jungle Beat. Call me crazy but I compare that game to Other M in a way. Neither game had bad gameplay but the story is what was messed up about these games. Of course Jungle Beat is a platformer and some people don't care about story in that, but Koizumi was gonna retcon everyone but DK if that game sold well. As a fan of the Kong Family this was concerning to me.

Right now Metroid fans are going through what DK fans did from 2002 to 2010 and it does suck. Metroid does deserve some love! I'm just hoping Retro is expanded so they can work on two projects at once.

Banned
To my eye I can notice 720p to 1080p. I can't notice 900p to 1080p though. And if Nintendo made 900p60 the standard for all their IP's I'd love it. But that doesn't mean there won't be 1080p games on the console.

This is just some survey anyway it's not fact.

Vena

I think 900p is perfectly fine for the target audience: families. Face it, Nintendo has always considered families before anyone else. I think the concept of "hey, What if the Wii U gamepad wasn't a piece of shit and you could actually leave the house playing your game on it instead of being restricted to a 20 ft distance? Is a great idea, especially for people with kids.

I know all us nerds weep for numbers but honestly, has Nintendo shown any regard for that in the last decade?

900p is not a spec. The only time someone says "900p" as a defining value is when referring to a screen resolution. There is no "all games run at 900p/60FPS" spec, its a nonsensical statement because games run at whatever resolution and frame-rate they are coded and built for. You can *target* a resolution and framerate but there is no "gameplay graphics at 900p/60FPS".

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I called GfK's US office to inquire about this, but unfortunately nobody was currently in office to help me.

Number is +1 (212) 240 5300 if anyone wanna try (calls abroad, especially to the US, are very expensive with my carrier).

BroBot

I am convinced this thread will have at least nine hundred "900p" posts in it soon enough. I wonder if the handheld display is 900p as well. Now that would be insane.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
C'mon people, there is no way this is talking about the console in the same list that say output 4K.

The King: "Sheriff, prepare the crow for feeding, the masses are hungry"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom