• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

I was was so certain that whatever they were cooking up with this thing, it would trounce the PS4 in power. I guess I was wrong.
But not for the reasons you think ;]

Edit: this thread is like a Splatoon sessions where the other team guys are all respawning on the last of their mates still alive and the your team is just waiting in the ink and shooting them in the order of respawn.

georly

Who commissions these marketing surveys? I'd assume Nintendo would benefit from seeing the results so I don't think it's fair to definitively say Nintendo is not involved.

Investment firms would also commission the survey if they want to know if nintendo is worth buying shares for or if it's worth reporting that it's worth buying buying shares for.

Who commissions these marketing surveys? I'd assume Nintendo would benefit from seeing the results so I don't think it's fair to definitively say Nintendo is not involved.

GfK conducts a bunch of surveys on its own accord, aggregates them, and then sells the market research data to any potentially-interested parties.

It doesn't have to be instigated by a third party.

Speculation aside, I do find it interesting how laughable 900p/60 fps when there are games on consoles already released that struggle to hit that sort of resolution and framerate combination, or have to make significant sacrifices to do so.

It honestly wouldn't even make sense to settle for a lower resolution than what the Wii U was able to handle. Smash Bros U for example was 1080p, wasn't it? I would absolutely love it if it can handle 1080p and 60fps for most games or even 4K. Directly competing or actually beating the competition in that regard. I don't see that happening though. I don't know what to expect to be honest.

Kodaman

But not for the reasons you think ;]

Edit: this thread is like a Splatoon sessions where the other team guys are all respawning on the last of their mates still alive and the your team is just waiting in the ink and shooting them in the order of respawn.

lol at the analogy

Kodaman

DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED DEBUNKED

...please add to the op.. someone.. quickly

krazen

Nintendo needs to distance themselves from the WII U as far as they can go and mention of a sensor bar isn't reassuring.

This late in the game its GOTTA be backwards compatible.

While its become a dirty word for other manufacturers, completely restarting so deep into this gen without that option would hurt.

Why anyone is assuming that the console would be in some way limited to 900p60fps is beyond me.

Like, if a lay person asked me the Wii U's "resolution" I'd probably say '720p60fps, but it displays at 1080p' because that's what a bulk of (at least 1st party) games render at or around.

Again, just for curiosity, I want to know from those who have access to the survey if this tidbit was actually cropped out of the first, leaked page

I'd really love to know that. If anyone can ask to Emily herself (can't do that now), it'd be fantastic.

Hi, I have to apologise because I got it wrong - what the cropped section really said was:-

"Of the above, which of these will thoroughly rustle the jimmies of many Neogaf members and cause a 25+ page thread to appear?"

UV-6

I don't understand why people are angry at the 900p thing.

Even the PS4 releases games at 900p/60fps. Battlefront looks amazing graphically and that is 900p/60fps as well!

Anth0ny

I don't understand why people are angry at the 900p thing.

Even the PS4 releases games at 900p/60fps. Battlefront looks amazing graphically and that is 900p/60fps as well!

PS4 is a 2013 console. This is a 2016 or possibly 2017 console.

Why anyone is assuming that the console would be in some way limited to 900p60fps is beyond me.

Like, if a lay person asked me the Wii U's "resolution" I'd probably say '720p60fps, but it displays at 1080p' because that's what a bulk of (at least 1st party) games render at or around.

Doesn't only Smash and Wind Waker HD display at 1080p?

Trago

So you'll assume that Nintendo will make 900p a requirement for game developers systemwide? Even though devs could choose what resolution they want to render at right now?

Why are people saying this is debunked or speculation? Nintendo is a client of GfK, this is them looking to do market testing on price points compared to the competition, plus discussion about online services.

The stuff about the actual device in here is fully in line with their patents and all the rumours we've had so far from the supply chain. It's pretty far along, and although they might tweak stuff like hard drive sizes, it's pretty clear something very close to this is what we'll get.

Trago

Let's see, my company is already struggling to get support from publishers, I'm developing a new console. Know what I can do to make my console less appealing to develop for? Limit the fucking resolution to an arbitrary number instead of giving them the choice!

See how stupid that sounds?

iMax

Why are people saying this is debunked or speculation? Nintendo is a client of GfK, this is them looking to do market testing on price points compared to the competition, plus discussion about online services.

The stuff about the actual device in here is fully in line with their patents and all the rumours we've had so far from the supply chain. It's pretty far along, and although they might tweak stuff like hard drive sizes, it's pretty clear something very close to this is what we'll get.

Source?

Kimawolf

Let's see, my company is already struggling to get support from publishers, I'm developing a new console. Know what I can do to make my console less appealing to develop for? Limit the fucking resolution to an arbitrary number instead of giving them the choice!

See how stupid that sounds?

Unless that's your handheld screen resolution. then like every handheld ever, thats the max resolution you can go up to for it.

beril

It's clear from the survey we'll get a console in the $199-$550 price range with or without an optical drive that will come with an HDMI cable.

the whole thing is stupid. 900p/60fps is not a spec, it's not something that anyone with any details of the platform would say, it's not something anyone with any general technical knowledge would say about an unreleased platform, it's certainly not something anyone in PR would say. There's just no realistic possibility that the first piece of info about hardware power we get from Nintendo, even as a second hand source, is 900p/60 fps.

It's clear from the survey we'll get a console in the $199-$550 price range with or without an optical drive that will come with an HDMI cable.

the whole thing is stupid. 900p/60fps is not a spec, it's not something that anyone with any details of the platform would say, it's not something anyone with any general technical knowledge would say about an unreleased platform, it's certainly not something anyone in PR would say.

900p/60fps is a spec if the patents about the handheld having a screen are true.

Oersted

Doesn't the very fact that there are a variety of framerates and resolutions already on WiiU tell you how fucking dumb the 900p/60fps part is?

900p/60fps is a spec if the patents about the handheld having a screen are true.

No, it is not a spec. Framerates are not specs.

Ansatz

Doesn't the very fact that there are a variety of framerates and resolutions already on WiiU tell you how fucking dumb the 900p/60fps part is?

It's not about what the console will be capable of producing.

What if the majority of Nintendo's 1st party output run at 900p60fps? This little fact would cause meltdowns all over the internet. Like, if Mario Kart 9 is 900p native.

Oersted

It's not about what the console will be capable of producing.

What if the majority of Nintendo's 1st party output run at 900p60fps? This little fact would cause meltdowns all over the internet. Like, if Mario Kart 9 is 900p native.

What if NX is a toaster? A toaster that can run Crysis 1-3 simultaneosly? What if?

Pretty sure that is the resolution and refresh rate of the handheld screen ;)

Pls be trolling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom