• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansatz

What if NX is a toaster? A toaster that can run Crysis 1-3 simultaneosly? What if?

Why shouldn't we exhaust all the likely possibilities in discussions before the reveal itself? It's part of the fun of a console launch. Once the facts are out, we can only react, there will be no room for speculation / prediction anymore.

beril

It's not about what the console will be capable of producing.

What if the majority of Nintendo's 1st party output run at 900p60fps? This little fact would cause meltdowns all over the internet. Like, if Mario Kart 9 is 900p native.

Who would have the information at this point to conclude that most games will be 900p/60 fps, and why would that be the first part of hardware info anyone was given?

Maybe Nintendo's current first party games do indeed run at 900p/60fps; it's still way to early for them to make broad generalisations about the framerate/ resolution for the console, and they probably don't know what even the third party launch games will run at.

900p isn't really something publishers talk about or even something that the general public know about anyway. It's something people learn about in digital foundry pixel counting articles.

There are some hardware configurations that would make 900p/60fps quite likely. For example still using 32MB eDRAM but way more powerful GPU&CPU than xbox one/ps4 would make it a pretty good guess that many cross platform games would be 900p/60fps; but it would still be incredibly weird for that to be the first info revealed about the hardware power.

It's way more likely that someone at GFK just googled some of the rumours and general console discussions and made some shit up.

Oersted

It's a refresh rate of a screen.

CZK7oYAWAAEBrhh.png:large

Are you trying to tell me that lots of Gaffers had a collective "Nintendo doomed!" meltdown, because NX is a 900p/60fps handheld which comes with a game controller, HDMI cable, sensor bar and is capable of video chat on TV?
Or are you just randomly sticking words and numbers together like the survey?

Anth0ny

Doesn't the very fact that there are a variety of framerates and resolutions already on WiiU tell you how fucking dumb the 900p/60fps part is?

yeah hopefully it's 900p MINIMUM but it still sticks out like a sore thumb. it certainly won't be 60fps minimum, there will always be 30fps games.

the whole thing stinks and I do think it's fake.

Oersted

yeah hopefully it's 900p MINIMUM but it still sticks out like a sore thumb. it certainly won't be 60fps minimum, there will always be 30fps games.

How many of your puppies did Nintendo kill that you gave up your logic skills, which you have a plenty?

Edit:

I missread. Apologies.

DrWong

But it's not fake, that's the subtility of the situation, because it's not meant to be presented as true, or fact.

Ansatz

Who would have the information at this point to conclude that most games will be 900p/60 fps, and why would that be the first part of hardware info anyone was given?

Maybe Nintendo's current first party games do indeed run at 900p/60fps; it's still way to early for them to make broad generalisations about the framerate/ resolution for the console, and probaly don't know what even the third party launch games will run at.

900p isn't really something publishers talk about or that the general public know about anyway. It's something people learn about in digital foundry pixel counting articles.

There are some hardware configurations that would make 900p/60fps quite likely. For example still using 32MB eDRAM but way more powerful GPU&CPU than xbox one/ps4 would make it a pretty good guess that many cross platform games would be 900p/60fps; but it would still be incredibly weird for that to be the first info revealed about the hardware power.

It's way more likely that someone at GFK just googled some of the rumours and general console discussions and made some shit up.

The 900p thing is just a way of saying that I highly doubt you will see NX console games such as 3D Mario run at 1080p 60 fps, while Zelda is 1080p 30 fps. This is very unlikely no?

If 1080p60 isn't feasible, and Nintendo's priority is to maintain 60 fps at any cost, then which resolution will their games run at?

Oersted

Why shouldn't we exhaust all the likely possibilities in discussions before the reveal itself? It's part of the fun of a console launch. Once the facts are out, we can only react, there will be no room for speculation / prediction anymore.

The thought that NX is a toaster was meant for you. I know how much you love groundless NX rumors. You are welcome to exhaust yourself.

The 900p thing is just a way of saying that I highly doubt you will see NX console games such as 3D Mario and Pikmin 4 run at 1080p 60 fps, while Zelda is 1080p 30 fps. This is very unlikely no?

If 1080p60 isn't feasible, and Nintendo's priority is to maintain 60 fps at any cost, then which resolution will their games run at?

It is not Nintendos priority to maintain 60 fps at any cost. Never was.

maxcriden

Quoting for a new page.

It's like NPD putting out a survey.

They don't have access to the console because they're not a developer or a Nintendo partner.

They're just a market research company.

GfK wouldn't know this info.

This is a fake.

The images from the rest of the survey proves that it's just speculating hypothetical features for the Nintendo NX (so no, they don't have any insider information):

HYdGUMl.png

GUbAqHH.jpg

d1G6vZp.jpg

QW7FoiG.jpg

ySkx1s4.jpg

GSkyHhU.jpg

Qc7HXah.jpg

WqsFsln.jpg

Sglm3sr.jpg

6DAV8Bl.jpg

UV2Ho2P.jpg

UaEn1HV.jpg

J6GCIAc.jpg

YGaq40p.jpg

zBmFP2S.jpg

I made a more substantive post here:

Logically it fundamentally doesn't make any sense that this survey would contain anything beyond speculation.

So it surprises me how many people here are reacting as if it's a foregone conclusion or even a possibility.

maxcriden

nj4xnh1.png

Nintendo has a presentation to investors scheduled on February 2nd at 8 PM ET.

They'll probably start talking about NX then.

If not in February, then they'll reveal it like how they revealed the Wii U (in late April).

Nintendo has a tendency to reveal information for upcoming fiscal years at these presentations.

For example, in the past they have revealed their smartphone plans, or upcoming games that haven't been talked about yet, etc.

Similarly to your examples above, I expect they will give out a broad idea of when NX info will come, and maybe if it's scheduled to release this year and if it's a console and/or handheld (with all signs pointing to it being both). Then, a concept unveil in Mar/Apr and a full reveal with games at E3.

DirtyLarry

If it is also going to be a handheld, why are people so shocked about the 900p/60FPS claim? Hell, I am the exact opposite, sounds great for a console that is also going to be a handheld.

They need to make it affordable, and it the NX Is truly going to be both a console and a handheld at the same time, sacrifices need to be made. The most logical place, especially for Nintendo who has always valued gameplay, is in the graphics.

I am utterly dumfounded at how people were not either A) expecting this not to be the case and are b) actually surprised it is.

Of course this is only a rumor, so who knows if it is true or not, but it makes complete sense to me if it winds up being the truth.

Oersted

If it is also going to be a handheld, why are people so shocked about the 900p/60FPS claim? Hell, I am the exact opposite, sounds great for a console that is also going to be a handheld.

They need to make it affordable, and it the NX Is truly going to be both a console and a handheld at the same time, sacrifices need to be made. The most logical place, especially for Nintendo who has always valued gameplay, is in the graphics.

I am utterly dumfounded at how people were not either A) expecting this not to be the case and are b) actually surprised it is.

Of course this is only a rumor, so who knows if it is true or not, but it makes complete sense to me if it winds up being the truth.

Did you read the OP?

beril

The 900p thing is just a way of saying that I highly doubt you will see NX console games such as 3D Mario run at 1080p 60 fps, while Zelda is 1080p 30 fps. This is very unlikely no?

We know nothing about the hardware or about its games so speculating on the resolutions is pointless.

My point was that debating the 900p number from this survey is silly because it's made up. It simply not believable that it would come from an official source or anyone with inside information. Had it said 480i output only it would have been more believable.

I guess the question is how the handheld portion works. If it can leave the main console, I can't imagine it runs at the same power as the console, so maybe it cuts the res in half? 900p -> 450 doesn't sound as normal as 1080 -> 540 (Vita is 544?). Resolution/pixel stuff always looses me though.

Kimawolf

If you really think the NX is going to have the graphical capabilities of PS4 or Xbox One you are sorely mistaken.

It's not they are some kind of graphical powerhouse melting faces right? Average consoles were outclassed by PCs before they even launched. Never happened before. So it wouldn't be a huge stretch to do better than them in some ways or every way. Not that they WILL, but its definitely not some long shot dream for it to be possible.

Oersted

It's not they are some kind of graphical powerhouse melting faces right? Average consoles were outclassed by PCs before they even launched. Never happened before. So it wouldn't be a huge stretch to do better than them in some ways or every way. Not that they WILL, but its definitely not some long shot dream for it to be possible.

We don't know. The survey tells us nothing. The end.

Ansatz

We know nothing about the hardware or about its games so speculating on the resolutions is pointless.

My point was that debating the 900p number from this survey is silly because it's made up. It simply not believable that it would come from an official source or anyone with inside information. Had it said 480i output only it would have been more believable.

I get that part about the rumor being fake, but we do have an idea of how powerful the console will be if we put it in the context of price.

It can be sufficiently powerful to run games in 1080p natively, but then the system will cost ~$400 right? And that I don't see happening.

Oersted

I get that part about the rumor being fake, but we do have an idea of how powerful the console will be if we put it in the context of price.

It can be sufficiently powerful to run games in 1080p natively, but then the system will cost ~$400 right? And that I don't see happening.

The price is made up. Beril already lampshaded it.

Oersted

PS4 launched at $400 no? That's my point of reference. Forget the article.

Am I supposed to yet again discuss one of your completely hypothetical scenarios, where you make up the rules what counts and you desperatly grasp for straws?

Thanks but no.

Any time somebody talks about max resolution and framerate to describe the performance of a device that connects to an external display they're sprouting complete bull.

Those numbers only have meaning with the additional context of what's actually being displayed on screen.

beril

I'm pretty sure it's possible to make affordable hardware that can run something that's a decent step up from games like MK8 and SM3DW at 1080p/60fps. But if you're asking if some games will sacrifice resolution to improve performance, then sure, welcome to every console ever I guess (or at least since SNES).

Wagram

If it truly is 900p that could be a problem. By the time this releases, PS4 will likely be in the 45m range, and Xbox One somewhere in the early to mid 20s. They're really going to either have to come in low with a price to swoop up easy sales or have some of the absolute best games ever combined with HUGE third party support.

This will not be an easy battle for them at all. The other two consoles are mid cycle and releasing a console within the year is a terrible, terrible position to be in.

The images from the rest of the survey proves that it's just speculating hypothetical features for the Nintendo NX (so no, they don't have any insider information):

ySkx1s4.jpg

GSkyHhU.jpg

Qc7HXah.jpg

WqsFsln.jpg

Sglm3sr.jpg

6DAV8Bl.jpg

UV2Ho2P.jpg

Hm. This part looks like a conjoint analysis. It's normal to change attributes of the products to determine a "jointly considered" ideal product / price point.

That said, such conjoint analyses are actually quite expensive. Hence, some people at GfK might really be involved in Nintendo's market research because usually you don't perform such deep/specific analyses on your own accord.

If it truly is 900p that could be a problem. By the time this releases, PS4 will likely be in the 45m range, and Xbox One somewhere in the early to mid 20s. They're really going to either have to come in low with a price to swoop up easy sales or have some of the absolute best games ever combined with HUGE third party support.

This will not be an easy battle for them at all. The other two consoles are mid cycle and releasing a console within the year is a terrible, terrible position to be in.
The NX wont be a traditional console so your old ways of trying to tackle these problems do not exist anymore.

As many have said, "900p" isn't a spec. I suppose they mean that's meant to be the standard resolution for most games, as 720p was for the WiiU (although with obvious exceptions like Smash Bros), but it's still not a spec.

Resolution, in my opinion, won't be important so much as what you can do at 900p is. If the power of the NX won't be even remotely comparable to current gen consoles, I hope Nintendo is perfectly fine with WiiU-like sales numbers because that's what they'll be getting with little to no third party support.

EDIT: It's a survey that speculates features? Well then, that's even more worthless than before.

Oersted

Oh lol
This is neogaf

Adressed in the 6th post at this page.

If it truly is 900p that could be a problem.

What is the "it" you are talking about?

As many have said, "900p" isn't a spec. I suppose they mean that's meant to be the standard resolution for most games, as 720p was for the WiiU (although with obvious exceptions like Smash Bros), but it's still not a spec.

Resolution, in my opinion, won't be important so much as what you can do at 900p is. If the power of the NX won't be even remotely comparable to current gen consoles, I hope Nintendo is perfectly fine with WiiU-like sales numbers because that's what they'll be getting with little to no third party support.

EDIT: It's a survey that speculates features? Well then, that's even more worthless than before.

Yes it is.

maxcriden

Hm. This part looks like a conjoint analysis. It's normal to change attributes of the products to determine a "jointly considered" ideal product / price point.

That said, such conjoint analyses are actually quite expensive. Hence, some people at GfK might really be involved in Nintendo's market research because usually you don't perform such deep/specific analyses on your own accord.

I believe NDP_Mulcair already addressed this above. I think he said that it may be done on Nintendo's behalf and it maybe done of their own volition as part of general market research to prepare. Either way, it doesn't necessarily tell us anything. (All the more reason to lock the thread.)

Wagram

There arent alternatives. Thats like saying an iphone is alternative to a PS4. Is that what you think?

Yes. It's still a gaming platform. It may not house the type of experiences most of us like, but it's still an alternative. I'm not saying NX is DOA here, but it will struggle out of the gate.

Oersted

Yes. It's still a gaming platform. It may not house the type of experiences most of us like, but it's still an alternative. I'm not saying NX is DOA here, but it will struggle out of the gate.

Nothing is released in a vacuum, so that is sort of a pointless obversation.

Ansatz

I'm pretty sure it's possible to make affordable hardware that can run something that's a decent step up from games like MK8 and SM3DW at 1080p/60fps. But if you're asking if some games will sacrifice resolution to improve performance, then sure, welcome to every console ever I guess (or at least since SNES).

Ok that's cool, I hope this is the case. Just don't lock online multiplayer behind a paywall as a hidden cost.

Yes it is.

By that logic, since the Wii U can play 1080p/60fps games at a stable framerate it is clearly superior to the Xbone that can play 900p/30fps games.

We all know that these metrics are all dependent on how demanding the game is, but that just proves the point these numbers are not indicative of anything by itself. And if the metric can't quantify performance by itself, then it's not a spec.

I believe MDP_Mulcair already addressed this above. I think he said that it may be done on Nintendo's behalf and it maybe done of their own volition as part of general market research to prepare. Either way, it doesn't necessarily tell us anything. (All the more reason to lock the thread.)

I kinda disagree then. The methodology of that survey indicates that it was ordered by a customer, obviously Nintendo for the US market (GfK is a German company, but a big one that of course also performs international surveys).

IF (big if admittedly) they were tasked to perform that study, than this indicates two things:
1) Nintendo is not sure about certain product features and / or the price tag yet / (by the time this survey was performed) and
2) GfK got input from the product development team about the NX. They didn't get any specifics, obviously, but you need to get the product's "boundaries" to perform such a conjoint analysis. At least this was always the case when I performed such an analysis.

Oersted

By that logic, since the Wii U can play 1080p/60fps at a stable framerate games it is clearly superior to the Xbone that can play 900p/30fps games.

We all know that these metrics are all dependent on how demanding the game is, but that just proves the point these numbers are not indicative of anything by itself.

I replied to his edit, not sure what you are replying to

Did you maybe missquote me?

I kinda disagree then. The methodology of that survey indicates that it was ordered by a customer, obviously Nintendo for the US market

No, not obvious. Also already adressed.

GfK conducts a bunch of surveys on its own accord, aggregates them, and then sells the market research data to any potentially-interested parties.

It doesn't have to be instigated by a third party.

Yes, they perform A LOT of surveys on their own accord, sometimes only for a press statement to show potential customers their knowledge on certain areas.

But again, the target of a conjoint analysis is to determine a "perfect" product. And the focus was obviously on Nintendo's NX product features and price tag. The only company who might pay for such an information is Nintendo, so it's actually quite clear that this survey was tasked by them. It's just too specific for a "general" market study.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom