• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft removing Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
iGGANMxVPzbkE.gif

I will buy the Xbone day one if true.

If this is true, it's one of the three things that need to change in order for me to buy an Xbone.

The next two are it publishing policy and the price.

I kinda thought that in the Jimmy Fallon COD video, the COD guy said, if we had the kinect you could do that. (making your dog bark). But Jimmy was playing the game without Kinect connected.
They probably were playing on PC and using the Xbone controller.

Ugh. I smell a price drop coming. Sony better have some really competitive stuff up their sleeves to fight this or they're screwed.

Microsoft is the gaming equivalent of Two-Face. They're just flipping a coin over and over again and following whatever it says. No identity to speak of.

Purexed

Banned
You could at least block the contact information for the Edelman PR person, that's just tacky posting her phone numbers and email on such a public form.

good news tho if true.

G17

Thank goodness. Really happy with the news. I didn't think Microsoft would ever use any data but it is a security risk and I'd also rather not carry a Kinect for LAN parties.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
They're still bundling it in and charging you for it.

Right now yes but this means it's highly likely they will have a system which doesn't come with it now

Probably shortly after launch, but I don't expect day one kinect free editions

Solo Act

I didn't want the DRM or Kinect, but seriously, these are what the Xbox One was built around. If it's not for a mandatory/upgraded Kinect and "improved" online functionality/sharing, why didn't the console get updated 2 years ago? Are they really just going to put out an 'Xbox 360 True-HD"?

Moze

Banned
Why? It would still be the weaker, less flexible box with potentially less first-party and indie backing. It would only highlight the Xbones relative flaws compared to the PS4.

This is also talking about removing the Kinect requirement while still maintaining a higher price-point.

I was talking more of a $299-$349 price (without kinect of course)

Feorax

Wow... I mean seriously, do MS just not have any confidence in their business plan? Next thing you know there will be no HDMI in on the thing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I would be completely floored if this was true. It's really hard to believe. They must have gotten some ugly initial numbers.

Like literally almost everything they announced at the initial reveal of the XB1 would be either completely stripped out or drastically scaled back exactly one month later.

trmas

Banned
There will be no price drop. The price drop will come after the inital adopters have been screwed over. Part of being an early adopter.

jrcbandit

I doubt Microsoft will change the bundle/price. It looks like it is a more of a reaction to the popularity of the 360 in the military, which would not allow the Xbox 180 if the Kinect has to be plugged in.

Petrie

Banned
These 2 consoles are going to end up quite similar when all is said and done huh?

I still think I'm going PS3 simply because when I think back to my 360, I enjoyed it, but almost every exclusive I played is on the other systems now, while the PS3 I missed out on a lot by not having one.

Who knows though. I'm incredibly torn at this point, but know I don't have time for both damnit.

Fox Mulder

I would rather buy one with Kinect but I can see how this would be a big point for some buyers. Personally doing that would just split the userbase and give developers even less reason to do something good with Kinect.

Not if they just stop the forced kinect policy. They can still bundle the kinect in with every xbone and design everything around it. some people just didn't want it always connected for the console to work.

Ultryx

It's still $100 more! Drop the damn price you fools! At this point the price drop should happen in another week or so (I wish).

Nevasleep

Why? It would still be the weaker, less flexible box with potentially less first-party and indie backing. It would only highlight the Xbones relative flaws compared to the PS4.
I think Forza, GoW and Halo would sell the Xbox to US and UK consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom