• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft removing Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

All dat wasted money on Kinect integration and development.

If this rumor is true then that would be the great tragedy in all this. All that money, R&D, and effort for Kinect wasted which could have been used to make a stronger system and first party offering.

blackflag

Awesome, unlike DRM it wouldn't have kept me from getting one but the plus is that now I can leave the Kinect in the box when I throw it in the garbage.

Guevara

What is even the point of this console anymore? Eventually they will just be selling the less slanty ps4 with an external power brick.

The point should have been Xbox 360 II. Thanks to extreme external pressure, they're getting there.

Danneee

They really didn't think this console through AT ALL it seems. That's what keeping me from even considering getting one.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox One: Yeah, basically 360 with prettier graphics.

Don't forget dedicated servers for all online games should developers choose to use the cloud stuff.

The effectiveness of which is still up in the air, but at least that would finally make Xbox Live worth paying for and make console multiplayer experiences actually bearable.

Fox Mulder

I doubt this is even true. This will screw any devs who are working with kinect since it was standardized to be sold with every system.

It still will be standard and included with every xbone, just turn off the requirement for people that don't want to use it.

jbug617

Banned
I think what consumers want from Microsoft is just a more powerful 360.

edit: If I am reading it right you just might not need to have it plugged in all the time?

So an email from a PR relations firm doing Xbox work mistakenly says that Kinect is not required for Xbox One...and this is confirmation that MS is removing all Kinect required abilities.

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. That's an even worse source than Wario 64.

Confirmation? The title clearly say it's a rumour.

I don't know why people expected it to be mandatory. I figured it would be just as mandatory as when the Kinect first came out. I remember a bunch of people freaking out thinking it was mandatory then. In my opinion, them not making the Kinect mandatory and or selling it separately is much less shocking than them changing the whole DRM thing.

Fracas

#fuckonami
If there isn't a SKU without Kinect, it's pretty insulting to those that don't want it. If all this is true, of course.

Barakov

If they drop the kinect requirement then I'm board for it at some point. I can actually look forward to Titanfall now.

However, I'm even more skeptical of Microsoft now than I ever was.

Kinect will remain a permanent aspect of the console. There will be no version of the Xbox One that you could ever hope to buy without Kinect.

Although, the requirement for it to be plugged in at all times for the console to function, that's certainly something I could see being removed. Put the burden on the players themselves to connect Kinect if/when it's ever required.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The source doesn't inspire me so much confidence. PR persons don't know that much, we should know after seeing XboxSupport v.s. Harrison, or things like that.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
This backtrack is amazing.

And yet, they've permanently lost me as a customer.

I only need one next-gen console in my life anyhow.

tumblr_li57dylwHq1qzuajeo1_500.gif

JCX

Next week I expect Microsoft to cancel Xbox One and announce that they will now make Playstation 4s

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So an email from a PR relations firm doing Xbox work mistakenly says that Kinect is not required for Xbox One...and this is confirmation that MS is removing all Kinect required abilities.

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. That's an even worse source than Wario 64.

The system already doesn't have any Kinect required abilities if we are to believe Microsoft in that you can disable everything about the Kinect on a software level.

Some games may require it, sure, but the system won't require it to operate. They are just demanding that you keep it connected for some reason right now, and that's suspicious as hell.

WolvenOne

Question.

I didn't see a power button on the X1's controller. Without a Kinect, is there even a way to turn it on remotely?

Steroyd

Microsoft should just sell two bundles of Xbox One; a family version that has the Kinect included (499 price) and a standard (or a 'core gamer') version with just the console and a controller for 399. Hell, I'd buy a bundle that would come with two controllers and a headset instead of the Kinect for the 499 price tag.

I don't think there is a "family" who would buy a $499 console.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's gotta be too late for MS to backpedal on Kinect. They told all the devs to develop for a system that has Kinect available. A lot of games must require Kinect surely.

Well this just says it isn't required, not that it will be sold separately.

gazele

Banned
Maybe MS is concerned about privacy laws like in the US about DVRs with cameras, if its optional I can see it being exempt from that law since you opt in by plugging it in

Snakeyes

All they need to do now is release a core model priced at $400 or even $350, and this will become a very interesting generation.

ec0ec0

why would people want to pay 400 for a xbox one when you can play 400 for a ps4? If we are just taking about the box, ps4 beats xbox one at everything? Well, xbox one has the "cloud"...

Cidd

If true, All that cash they wasted on R&D for kinect 2 will be for nothing. I can see them doing this, They are desperate at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom