• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft removing Kinect requirement for Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ding-Ding

If true, we can totally write off all of their Xbox One's visions of the future since the reveal.

The way MS are backtracking at the moment, they might as well have a re-launch event, as the majority of the original reveal will be totallt bollocks soon.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
$399 w/out Kinect

$499 w/ Kinect.

Both SKU's would do well because both would cater to different crowds. Sell Kinect separately at $129.

BOOM.

Dead

well not really...yet
So you're paying an extra $100 for a useless paper weight

lol

with all the back pedaling they've done, they might as well as redesign their console from scratch. It was stillborn and all they've managed to do so far is make a marginally better looking xbox 360 after removing all the new stuff they had planned from it. Admittedly it was all shit, but yeah.

I can see Microsoft doing it, if Sony its out of the equation as they though before all the backslash, they will go full force with DRM next gen.

ari

Banned
Please don't drop the kinect. Seriously.

A 349 price point without a kinect would kill, but let's not put kinect 2.0 within the gimmicky column.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So an email from a PR relations firm doing Xbox work mistakenly says that Kinect is not required for Xbox One...and this is confirmation that MS is removing all Kinect required abilities.

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. That's an even worse source than Wario 64.

RMI

Banned
What is even the point of this console anymore? Eventually they will just be selling the less slanty ps4 with an external power brick.

ymmv

Banned
Where in the mail does it says the Xbox One will now ship without Kinect? All it says is the XO doesn't need Kinect to work - probably after setting it up and then turning it off. You still have to buy it. The guy evades the question "will MS ship a cheaper SKU without Kinect" by poiting out the value of the Kinect.

nothing gains consumer confidence like back peddling on EVERY single feature.

the email says nothing about a model without Kinect though it just says it doesn't need to be connected. Am I missing something?

Also why does all the good news for Microsoft have to come from obscure sources ??

funny shit.

Kalren

I appreciate them removing the requirement but their previous decisions lead a lot to be desired.

The decisions that led to way the X1 was build as really make me question the long term goals of Microsoft. Those decisions seem to have been made as a result of management and their advertising departments conferring with no one making the case for what gamers want.

Dyna

Microsoft should just sell two bundles of Xbox One; a family version that has the Kinect included (499 price) and a standard (or a 'core gamer') version with just the console and a controller for 399. Hell, I'd buy a bundle that would come with two controllers and a headset instead of the Kinect for the 499 price tag.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
All this news is making me want to buy one even less. The design of this console is a complete disaster, just what is going on at Microsoft? A month ago they laid out a vision for the platform and they have thrown all of it out the window now. It's so bizarre that it makes me wonder what I'd be getting for my money.

Do it MS. Drop it down to 399 and I might even overlook the fact that its less powerful than the PS4. ;)

MS: "Let's do all this awful shit that no one wants and charge them more for all of it. They'll love it."

The World: "No one wants it."

MS: "Let's remove all of it."

I honestly didn't think this degree of reversal would happen, but it has.

Seriously, has any major company ever misread its userbase so terribly?

So an email from a PR relations firm doing Xbox work mistakenly says that Kinect is not required for Xbox One...and this is confirmation that MS is removing all Kinect required abilities.

C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. That's an even worse source than Wario 64.

Who said it's confirmation? The title clearly states rumor.

HooYaH

I doubt this is even true. This will screw any devs who are working with kinect since it was standardized to be sold with every system.

Kerub

Banned
Rumor; Kerub will be getting a Xbox One.

Rumor: A large amount of potential consumers that Kerub knows will be getting the Xbox One,.

This is up to you Microsoft.

Steroyd

I would be completely floored if this was true. It's really hard to believe. They must have gotten some ugly initial numbers.

Like literally almost everything they announced at the initial reveal of the XB1 would be either completely stripped out or drastically scaled back exactly one month later.

I don't think they can have ugly numbers if that's all they can manufacture.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This is incredibly stupid considering how much lengths they're going through to integrate the thing into their OS.

They'd be smart to just price match the PS4.

kitsuneyo

It's gotta be too late for MS to backpedal on Kinect. They told all the devs to develop for a system that has Kinect available. A lot of games must require Kinect surely.

So they will open up a SKU without Kinect that is <$499?

Only logical thing.

Wonder how they price that though. Probably at $399 I'd guess maybe $449 for a perceived higher value than ps4

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just amazingly wow if true. We do live in incredible times.

What's the chances that Xbox One will come in less then PS4 now. If so. I'm in. I'm bloody well in MS you barstards. You got me.

DoctorZ

What is this rumor even?

If its just that the Kinect can be unplugged?

Or are they actually removing the Kinect from the box and still charging the same amount?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom