• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: NX controller supports Wii-like motion control and force-feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozfunghi

She also addressed those saying she's just guessing about this by saying she never guesses. (Which I believe.)

So... anybody know why these topics didn't get locked upon creation? Because i addressed the issue with one of the mods on gaf, and he assured me the locking was not specifically targeted at Nintendo rumor/speculation topics. But now i'm really "stumped" (okapow).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534543
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=534387
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478014
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476423

Clessidor

So... anybody know why these topics didn't get locked upon creation? Because i addressed the issue with one of the mods on gaf, and he assured me the locking was not specifically targeted at Nintendo rumor/speculation topics. But now i'm really "stumped" (okapow).

all this threads didn't explode. People didn't went nuts or anything like we see it on NX threads. The problem with NX rumour threads is that they don't "die" after everything was said about the topic and people continue to post about rumours and speculation etc.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Why are you posting a a bunch of 1-2 page threads with the odd rare 10 page thread. Surely there's tons f much more active threads on those subjects (I'm absolutely certain there are).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Oh. Another NX 'rumour' thread.

We should just have a good old fashion WUST thread and keep everything in there.

Genio88

I believe NX will be revealed in January, that makes more sense, 3 months would still be enough to promote the console, also Nintendo doesn't want all the other AAA games, PSVR and PS4 Pro take attention out of NX reveal, plus this fall they want to promote and push sales for 3DS and their games like Pokemon, Mario Maker, Paper Mario and Mario Run, unveil NX right before/in the middle of those isn't likely

Taker666

I believe NX will be revealed in January, that makes more sense, 3 months would still be enough to promote the console, also Nintendo doesn't want all the other AAA games, PSVR and PS4 Pro take attention out of NX reveal, plus this fall they want to promote and push sales for 3DS and their games like Pokemon, Mario Maker, Paper Mario and Mario Run, unveil NX right before/in the middle of those isn't likely

I'd have thought they'd want to get the pre-orders up in time for the holidays so Nintendo fans could get pre-orders for hardware/software as Christmas gifts.

Genio88

I'd have thought they'd want to get the pre-orders up in time for the holidays so Nintendo fans could get pre-orders for hardware/software as Christmas gifts.

You've got a point there, mine is just an opinion from someone who knows nothing, it's just what I think, though i'd be so happy to see what NX is as soon as possible

Hermii

Emily Rogers recently tweeted October, I assume she had a source for that but don't know.

Also I agre there is nothing to be said in this thread that hasn't been said 1000 times. Lock imminent.

ozfunghi

all this threads didn't explode. People didn't went nuts or anything like we see it on NX threads. The problem with NX rumour threads is that they don't "die" after everything was said about the topic and people continue to post about rumours and speculation etc.

So, you mean to say that it is actually targeted at Nintendo rumor/speculation threads. Because apparently, the "reveal date thread" got locked immediately, not after it had gone off the deep end. I check Gaf every day and did not see the thread. But good to have some comfirmation, i guess.

Why are you posting a a bunch of 1-2 page threads with the odd rare 10 page thread. Surely there's tons f much more active threads on those subjects (I'm absolutely certain there are).

I just posted the first ones i came across with some basic search parameters. And like i said^, doesn't matter since the NX reveal topic got closed as soon as it was created. These topics didn't.

So, you mean to say that it is actually targeted at Nintendo rumor/speculation threads. Because apparently, the "reveal date thread" got locked immediately, not after it had gone off the deep end. I check Gaf every day and did not see the thread. But good to have some comfirmation, i guess.

I feel like that's kinda missing the point, no disrespect intended. The major NX rumors NEVER stay confined to one thread, usually as soon as a new potentially viable rumor popped up it was "new news, new thread", and suddenly we would have two or three massive sprawling NX topics going at once, none of which were about any singular core subject.

Hell, you're seeing it here. This is a topic about force feedback, but just because it's the only one that wasn't closed, and somebody bumped it by trying to discuss on topic some more, now it's the new de facto NX thread.

I can understand why all of these topics might be a headache to mods. I think having a singular, "NXST" kind of deal might be the best way to contain it personally, but that's really up to the mods. The WUST was a beautiful goddamn disaster.

ozfunghi

I feel like that's kinda missing the point, no disrespect intended. The major NX rumors NEVER stay confined to one thread, usually as soon as a new potentially viable rumor popped up it was "new news, new thread", and suddenly we would have two or three massive sprawling NX topics going at once, none of which were about any singular core subject.

Hell, you're seeing it here. This is a topic about force feedback, but just because it's the only one that wasn't closed, and somebody bumped it by trying to discuss on topic some more, now it's the new de facto NX thread.

I can understand why all of these topics might be a headache to mods. I think having a singular, "NXST" kind of deal might be the best way to contain it personally, but that's really up to the mods. The WUST was a beautiful goddamn disaster.

Sorry, but this is not the case. Most discussion is concentrated into one topic, because all the other topics get closed, so everybody has to migrate. Valuable and meaningful discussion is aborted, because a couple of guys start losing it. It's impossible to stay on - topic because the thread of the topic that was still being discussed, got closed... so, you continue the hardware talk in a non-hardware topic, just because mods closed the topic. And everything starts flooding together and every new thread (as in "not locked") thread gets crazier and more off topic. It forms a funnel into the only active topic, which is not a good thing. You are acting like there are NX rumor topics emerging left and right simutanously, when in reality, that has only happened twice. We are having an info drought, not the opposite. And apparently now, even new info gets locked as well.

By the way, it's a forum rule to have "new news, new thread", so mods enforce it. And usually, they lock the old threads in advance, so that's the reason why it never stays on topic.

It also doesn't explain why a new thread with info form a reliable leaker got locked as soon as it got created.

This is what i've been saying the past month or so. A couple of weeks, maybe a month before thanksgiving.

1. Give people the chance to preorder.
2. Steal some sales from XBO/PS4 (people that still haven't bought one by now, are obviously not in a rush, or open for any new gaming hardware. They waited 3 years, they can wait 3 more months as well).
3. Build public awareness at a time when millions of people are actively researching what to ask for or what to buy for their loved ones. In January, nobody is going to care, everybody is saturated.

Bert

How can it be comfortable to hold and at the same time be attachable to a screen?

What gives me hope is the fact that Nintendo have never made an uncomfortable home controller. If there's a way to make them ergonomic, theyll find it.

maxcriden

What gives me hope is the fact that Nintendo have never made an uncomfortable home controller. If there's a way to make them ergonomic, theyll find it.

Agreed. Plus, I expect the NX HH won't be necessarily the primary input method for NX at home, nor would its detachable controllers unless perhaps they can combine to form one controller and not only be used separately. But even then I expect a Pro and other possible controllers, and potentially the former as the primary at home input method.

I just posted the first ones i came across with some basic search parameters. And like i said^, doesn't matter since the NX reveal topic got closed as soon as it was created. These topics didn't.

In this case it was apparently closed due to Emily Rogers having a mixed track record. This was modbot's post-

Emily Rogers has a mixed record of success so posting about a coin flip is not interesting, this is a private tweet, and it doesn't even have a date. We'll opt for patience instead.

I agree that they are a bit quick to close these threads, and that one didn't even get past 3 pages. It was fairly reasonable in there too. I think these threads would all be much calmer and tamer if people could post about things in the thread that has a relevant topic, rather than in this case where every topic has become a reveal date speculation thread.

The ps4 Neo rumor threads were way more of a disaster and hopes-and-dreams(-and-hope-crushing)-fueled-mess than WUST ever was. They went on for dozens of pages or more and people were dreaming of the ps4 Scorpio throughout despite the actual facts leaked via developer documents and people telling them that the console matched the documents word for word.

Crazy isn't exclusive to Nintendo. Crazy is all around us.

Pittree

How do you guys read the "Wii-like motion controller" part ?

I understand that they specified the statement was made thinking about motion plus enabled wii remotes. However the wording used got me thinking the new controllers would be better at motion detection. Something like the vive controllers would be an awesome addition but those require multiple sensors wich would be impossible to implement on the go. There is any technology wich could improve the motion detection without sensors?

You mean besides the Wiimote and the gamepad?

Ergonomic designs are the last thing I expect from modern Nintendo. I still have the scars from the pointy edges of the DS lite.

How do you guys read the "Wii-like motion controller" part ?

I understand that they specified the statement was made thinking about motion plus enabled wii remotes. However the wording used got me thinking the new controllers would be better at motion detection. Something like the vive controllers would be an awesome addition but those require multiple sensors wich would be impossible to implement on the go. There is any technology wich could improve the motion detection without sensors?

I think they will be improved over the wii motion + controllers, but only for detached/home gameplay. The only motion control you can really get in the attached/portable mode is gyro sensing like in Splatoon, whereas in detached mode you have much more freedom of motion for each controller, as well as a stationary portion (screen or dock) which can act as a "home" position if they have positioning sensors.

Actually the fact that there is a dock could definitely add some motion control functionality with positional referencing as well as potentially an IR emitter (like the sensor bar) if they wanted to include IR pointing.

How was the Wii Remote not comfortable? Most comfortable controller I've ever seen and used.

Was just about to ask the same, the Wiimote is really really comfortable.Though nothing beats the Wii U Pro Controller, its a masterpiece plus 1000 hours of battery!
ok not 1000 but up to 80...

Shiggy

Was just about to ask the same, the Wiimote is really really comfortable.Though nothing beats the Wii U Pro Controller, its a masterpiece plus 1000 hours of battery!

Think Zoonami really did a great job with the ergonomics of the Wii Remote. The sleeve even improved upon that.

It was ergonomic when held like a remote control.

Sideways? Not so much.

Absolutely agree, using it that way was pretty uncomfortable.

Hermii

Its like they overcompensated for the terrible battery of the gamepad.

Pittree

Actually the fact that there is a dock could definitely add some motion control functionality with positional referencing as well as potentially an IR emitter (like the sensor bar) if they wanted to include IR pointing.

The issue I have with this option is that it could bring issues about the placement of the dock station wich I imagine it would need to be right below the tv possibly obstructing the view.

Anyway I think improved motion detection and force feedback could go hand in hand with their patent about using "user tracking" technology for an emulated 3D experience.

Vinc

If the motion is much improved and comparable to the vive controllers for example... it would be extremely interesting. Wii Motion Plus equivalent as this says is ok, but I'd like better fidelity.

Oh and please make Skyward Sword HD, playable with traditional controls or improved motion controls. That would be great.

The issue I have with this option is that it could bring issues about the placement of the dock station wich I imagine it would need to be right below the tv possibly obstructing the view.

Anyway I think improved motion detection and force feedback could go hand in hand with their patent about using "user tracking" technology for an emulated 3D experience.

Yeah the dock could include cameras or IR sensors as well. Before the Eurogamer leak I kept thinking it would be a standard console where the controller itself has the camera which is designed to track the user's head, face or eyes, and they could still include that in the handheld portion but it could also be present in the dock if the camera has a high enough resolution.

At that point it begins to sound a lot like Kinect though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

These threads don't randomly get closed, there's a different context to the NX threads and those particular ones (as in they are created and posted in response to banned threads ignoring why they were closed in the frst place). Plenty of PS4 threads of this type also get closed due to their specific nature.

Pittree

If the motion is much improved and comparable to the vive controllers for example... it would be extremely interesting. Wii Motion Plus equivalent as this says is ok, but I'd like better fidelity.

Oh and please make Skyward Sword HD, playable with traditional controls or improved motion controls. That would be great.

They didn't state equivalent, they just said "like" That to me that implies differences, most likely improvements.

I know Skyward Sword controls get a lot of hate, but I remember that I, like others, got the feeling that I couldn't go back to traditional controllers in Zelda after that. So why not both?

Yeah the dock could include cameras or IR sensors as well. Before the Eurogamer leak I kept thinking it would be a standard console where the controller itself has the camera which is designed to track the user's head, face or eyes, and they could still include that in the handheld portion but it could also be present in the dock if the camera has a high enough resolution.

At that point it begins to sound a lot like Kinect though.

Yeah same thing here. Maybe all this is related to the emily rogers hint about how the main unit didn't had a camera or mic. I keep thinking all the pieces are there, but we are still missing how they work together.

Sorry, but this is not the case. Most discussion is concentrated into one topic, because all the other topics get closed, so everybody has to migrate. Valuable and meaningful discussion is aborted, because a couple of guys start losing it. It's impossible to stay on - topic because the thread of the topic that was still being discussed, got closed... so, you continue the hardware talk in a non-hardware topic, just because mods closed the topic. And everything starts flooding together and every new thread (as in "not locked") thread gets crazier and more off topic. It forms a funnel into the only active topic, which is not a good thing. You are acting like there are NX rumor topics emerging left and right simutanously, when in reality, that has only happened twice. We are having an info drought, not the opposite. And apparently now, even new info gets locked as well.

By the way, it's a forum rule to have "new news, new thread", so mods enforce it. And usually, they lock the old threads in advance, so that's the reason why it never stays on topic.

It also doesn't explain why a new thread with info form a reliable leaker got locked as soon as it got created.

I'm not saying the situation is ideal, like I said I'd rather have a single NXST until it gets officially revealed in order to keep clutter down and also provide an outlet for us.

But are you sure it was only twice? I seem to remember several pretty long stretches where I was having to keep track of two/three sprawling threads at once. But then again, NX Derangement Syndrome could easily be messing with my perception of time.

In particular, I seem to recall that the Emily Rogers thread was one of three different NX-focused threads on the front couple of pages at that time, along with the recently-locked thread about Kevin Pereira and the NLG thread. I might agree that it would have been better to leave ONE thread open, but I'm just saying I can see why a mod might want to cut that off at the pass.

EDIT: Also, when that thread was locked ModBot expressed some skepticism that Emily Rogers could be considered CONSISTENTLY reliable, a sentiment echoed by another Mod in another Emily Rogers focused thread. So if the mods do not agree that she is consistently reliable, that would change their outlook on that thread in particular.

The ps4 Neo rumor threads were way more of a disaster and hopes-and-dreams(-and-hope-crushing)-fueled-mess than WUST ever was. They went on for dozens of pages or more and people were dreaming of the ps4 Scorpio throughout despite the actual facts leaked via developer documents and people telling them that the console matched the documents word for word.

Crazy isn't exclusive to Nintendo. Crazy is all around us.

Never said it was. Honestly, I'm not even saying there's that much crazy in the NX threads here, just desperation for legit info. So it's a somewhat different beast from the Neo rumor threads.

But to me, one example being "worse" doesn't really change the fact that the Unofficial NXST has basically existed across multiple massive threads, sometimes on multiple at the same time.

There doesn't really NEED to be an NX thread at all, but a lot of the sprawl might have been condensed by having a designated series of threads rather than having all of us unruly mob move across news topics without any real clear adherence to the specific topic at hand.

marmoka

Banned
Emily confirmed that NX is not getting delayed:

PjXTN1P.png

I think Nintendo is really scared about the first impressions people would get at the NX reveal, and want to do things correctly this time. They don't want another Wii U situation, with people confused, so much criticism, or disappointments, like E3-2015.

Honestly, if I were working at Nintendo, I would be really stressed preparing the reveal.

Edit: If somebody can speak in the name of Emily, and needs to tell me please not to post screenshots of her Twitter account, because she doesn't want me to do it, for any reason, please tell me by private message, and I won't post any more screenshots. Her account is private, and perhaps she doesn't want her tweets to be shown to the public. Thanks.

maxcriden

Emily confirmed that NX is not getting delayed:

PjXTN1P.png

I think Nintendo is really scared about the first impressions people would get at the NX reveal, and want to do things correctly this time. They don't want another Wii U situation, with people confused, so much criticism, or disappointments, like E3-2015.

Honestly, if I were working at Nintendo, I would be really stressed preparing the reveal.

Edit: If somebody can speak in the name of Emily, and needs to tell me please not to post screenshots of her Twitter account, because she doesn't want me to do it, for any reason, please tell me by private message, and I won't post any more screenshots. Her account is private, and perhaps she doesn't want her tweets to be shown to the public. Thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not familiar with the language so I can't tell for sure when the tweet is from - is it from today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom