• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Possible Pokemon Sun and Moon Chinese Leaks [SPOILERS]

Gotta keep that none firefighter dream alive.
bPXq3F8.jpg

LOL!!

GoldStarz

At this point, I feel those starter evos are definitely real. They have just the right amount of design elements, and they're nuanced in all the right ways.

Like the symmetry on the Rowlet evo's wings — they bend in the middle, making them like arms, and when bent, each half has four ruffles for eight total when extended. Then you have several at the tip for fingers. It just works.

All of the little details like the vine-like drawstrings closing the hoodie and doubling as the wing's bowstring for the quill-arrows, or the bubbles braiding the Popplio evo's hair and releasing it when it sings like a siren/selkie/mermaid, is just a level of detail you don't ordinarily see in fakes.

They even modeled all of the unique body parts so you know how they look from all different angles. And of course, the most convincing bit of all is the fact they're not what you'd expect, at least in the case of the Popplio evo.

The fact it surprised me is actually what makes it most convincing of all.

Actually, that's what made a lot of people think it was fake because the last model sheets didn't have some stuff like that. Also, you are REALLY underestimating fakemon artists. I'm not saying it's not real (i hope it's not real, worst 1st to 3rd form transition ever) but saying it's definitely not real because of attention to detail is completely idiotic.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It is different from past concept art, but then again Sun and Moon's art in general seems to be pretty different. For example we'd usually just get Sugimori art, but for Sun and Moon we're getting additional art like what we got for the Starters.

Neiteio

Yeah, there's no rule they have to always do their concept art the exact same way.

I'm pretty confident saying these are real.

Bakkus

Also, this makes it sound like they're doing away with Mega Evolutions which is weird.

It makes sense. The idea wouldn't work well if they continued with it. They'd just be digging the hole deeper and deeper, and the deeper it is, then it would be harder to ditch the idea.

If real
: I really like the starters evolutions, an Owl archer just looks bad ass as hell honestly the only one I don't quite believe is Litten's it just looks ridiculous... That said if its really based of a Wrestler... I guess thats the idea.

Then you have the idea of not having Gyms... See If true I really don't like this. Out of all of the mechanics the Pokemon games have had for a long time that had been mainstays I always felt like Gym leaders were one of the best things the series had going for it I just don't think they were utilized as well they could have been. Of all the things they could have changed thats like the one thing I really didn't think they needed to take away.

It makes sense. The idea wouldn't work well if they continued with it. They'd just be digging the hole deeper and deeper, and the deeper it is, then it would be harder to ditch the idea.
But like, they created a whole alternate universe just to justify them! I thought they were all in.

All of them are great, actually.

Rowlet is the best, Litten's is pretty cool (just please be Dark or Ground), and Popplio's is actually beautiful.

Like, lol at calling Popplio's (proposed) final evo "ugly." It's amazing and beautiful.

Funny to see people in this thread who usually frequent Pokemon threads using the "I don't like it so it's ugly" line.

GoldStarz

Yeah I feel like getting rid of gym leaders is GF doing an easy way out. Not only is there less important battles in general if that's true, but there's less work developing 8 different personalities. And do they only battle with the Island's Guardians because that would definitely make it much worse. We had to deal with only teams of three in X/Y and what a non-challenge that was. I'm not completely against getting rid of the gyms if they can make it work but this replacement system just sounds cheap and easy and better saved as a post-game quest.

I don't see any real reason to believe those concept pieces are legit, even if these leaks are.
They align perfectly with the concepts talked about, came out months ago, and haven't ever been officially debunked.

Neiteio

I kind of wondered why no gym leader hadn't been shown yet. We usually would've seen one by now.
That's a big part of what makes this so convincing. "No gym leaders" is a bold claim to make, one that would easily fall apart (and the rest of the rumor with it) if they were to show traditional gym leaders at any time. A faker wouldn't risk that sort of liability. That's a big part of why this feels legit to me.

Illucio

Banned
I only want this to be true because I love the archer Rowlet design.

But my god those other 2 are atrocious.

Dolphin Pokémon = FINALLY.

Everything else.. Well at least it's somewhat formula changing..

All of them are great, actually.

Rowlet is the best, Litten's is pretty cool (just please be Dark or Ground), and Popplio's is actually beautiful.

Like, lol at calling Popplio's (proposed) final evo "ugly." It's amazing and beautiful.

Funny to see people in this thread who usually frequent Pokemon threads using the "I don't like it so it's ugly" line.
It's ugly as shit bro. It's like you combined Feebas and Milotic.

Sea cucumber Pokemon could be really cool though. Hopefully a fish lives in its anus.

Neiteio

Yeah I feel like getting rid of gym leaders is GF doing an easy way out. Not only is there less important battles in general if that's true, but there's less work developing 8 different personalities. And do they only battle with the Island's Guardians because that would definitely make it much worse. We had to deal with only teams of three in X/Y and what a non-challenge that was. I'm not completely against getting rid of the gyms if they can make it work but this replacement system just sounds cheap and easy and better saved as a post-game quest.
I'm not too concerned. You could still have the same number of important human encounters or more. They would just be their own characters now, rather than following a gym leader template.

Maybe you'll fight the mayor of town at one story juncture, and then an hour later you're fighting a mountain guru at another juncture, and so on. There are many ways they can do this without recycling the gym leader structure. You can still have the same number of major human characters, story beats, milestone moments, etc.

GoldStarz

We didn't get Viola revealed to around now actually, and the news cycle for X/Y started a lot sooner.

But like, they created a whole alternate universe just to justify them! I thought they were all in.
No they didn't. The reveal in ORAS was that each individual game cartridge was its own universe, not that game a-f were in universe 1 and games g-q were in universe 2.

I'm not too concerned. You could still have the same number of important human encounters or more. They would just be their own characters now, rather than following a gym leader template.

Maybe you'll fight the mayor of town at one story juncture, and then an hour later you're fighting a mountain guru at another juncture, and so on. There are many ways they can do this without recycling the gym leader structure. You can still have the same number of major human characters, story beats, milestone moments, etc.
*breathes in* You are aware that gym leaders have responsibilities other than being gym leaders correct, we were already taking steps in establishing gym leaders as their own characters and actually reached that point in Gen V before Gen VI regressed back to have them be boring and uninvolved dress-up challenges. It's true that you can include more human battles in there but what gives those battles weight? Rival fights have weight, but they still feel entirely different because you fight the same character repeatedly while gym leader fights have weight because they have a special title and you worked hard through their gym to get to them, without that feeling, what makes a fight against some random guy without any really special nature to them have weight? They aren't marked as an especially powerful trainer, they're just a dude who the game decided to give a power boost too.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
If we get yet another monkey please don't be just a cute generic chimp. Orangutan or gorilla or something different.

Also if the starters are in fact those. Rowlet all the way like I predicted. Also Litten can still end up as Dark or Ground. Just because he's a wrestler doesn't mean it will be an honorable one.

I have a feeling the starters are fake though. They look way too gender specific.

If that's real then Popplio will be the first starter final evo I actually like :eek:
When Fenniken evolved into Braixen I thought that would be the first starter line I'd genuinely enjoy, but then Braixen evolved into a hobo.

Delio

I guess you are right. It would feel weird not to get badges or have a actual dedicated building but we have been wanting a huge shake up so eh im down.

Anura

I honestly hope those starters are real because it turns my least favorite first form of any starter (poplio) into ny favorite final stage for a starter. Holy shit that thing is majestic as fuck

hupla

Been wanting a mainline Pokémon game that moved away from the typical gym structure for awhile now so these rumours are very interesting, gonna wait to see if anymore Pokémon that get revealed match these leaks befoee I believe them tho

Eh, even in Gen V, the gym leaders were caricatures. The main difference was just that they actually left their gyms. If there are important characters who actually do other things in this game besides the professor/rival/evil team/champion, then it won't be really a downgrade.

We didn't get Viola revealed to around now actually, and the news cycle for X/Y started a lot sooner.

Well besides Sylveon, the info dump didn't really start happening until May, so it lines up pretty well with what we have now. But yeah, I think this month will probably make (partly) or break this, depending on whether we see a gym leader.

Neiteio

I guess you are right. It would feel weird not to get badges or have a actual dedicated building but we have been wanting a huge shake up so eh im down.
They could actually make an interesting story without gym leaders. Like each major character would be their own subplot.

Maybe in one town, there's a circus, and there's a whole subplot related to the circus, and you go here and there meeting the ringleader in all these different places doing all these different things, and then at the end she's like, "I'll give you what you seek, but I must test you one more time," and then you battle her and it's essentially a gym leader battle, but without the context of a gym.

Then you move onto the next town, and you need to meet a guru at the top of a mountain. Thus begins another subplot where you meet the guru here and there, do this and that, and then in the end there's another battle, justified in some way by the plot.

You still have the human characters. Still have the story junctures. Still have the milestone moments. Still have structure.

It's just not recycling the same ol' gym leader template. A breath of fresh air, really.

They align perfectly with the concepts talked about, came out months ago, and haven't ever been officially debunked.

They don't at all function as the things that they purport to be.

Look at this official concept sheet for Noivern, which these alleged reference art leaks are based on;

This is a reference sheet, for artists and animators to be able to look at the individual parts of the design- see how it has cross-sections of the various body parts, and individual diagrams that show how they all work and are best drawn.

See how it doesn't have kids boiling tea on its stomach, or it doing silly poses- because that's not relevant to this sort of design document. It might be the sort of stuff that a fan artist that put a lot of a design and wants to show off his vision of how it works would put into a document, but it's a waste of time and energy to put such things into documents that do not need it.

Hell, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this is all legit- it's not at all impossible! I'm just saying that I'm not convinced by all this- the Salandit information is interesting if we can say definitively that it was put out there before the reveal, but matching up with some month-old artwork that I don't find convincing isn't a smoking gun- if anything, it makes me less confident in the leak.

Biggad

Neo Member
What happened to this:
I don't know the source of this but this (probably fake) Popplio evo is actually god damn great and creepy

Oh and Rowlet and Litten I guess

^ I really really really want it to be real. At least Rowlett's evo is basically the same thing and still great.
Litten going from a sleek black panther with an amazingly and surprisingly grounded design to the same old "oh you fire starter you" joke. Literally tragic if true.

Neiteio

Eh, even in Gen V, the gym leaders were caricatures. The main difference was just that they actually left their gyms. If there are important characters who actually do other things in this game besides the professor/rival/evil team/champion, then it won't be really a downgrade.
Exactly

Neiteio

They don't at all function as the things that they purport to be.

Look at this official concept sheet for Noivern, which these alleged reference art leaks are based on;

This is a reference sheet, for artists and animators to be able to look at the individual parts of the design- see how it has cross-sections of the various body parts, and individual diagrams that show how they all work and are best drawn.

See how it doesn't have kids boiling tea on its stomach, or it doing silly poses- because that's not relevant to this sort of design document. It might be the sort of stuff that a fan artist that put a lot of a design and wants to show off his vision of how it works would put into a document, but it's a waste of time and energy to put such things into documents that do not need it.

Hell, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this is all legit- it's not at all impossible! I'm just saying that I'm not convinced by all this- the Salandit information is interesting if we can say definitively that it was put out there before the reveal, but matching up with some month-old artwork that I don't find convincing isn't a smoking gun- if anything, it makes me less confident in the leak.
There's a difference between concept art showing character poses from different angles performing different actions, and a reference sheet breaking down its proportions. The leak is the former, what you posted is the latter. Doesn't debunk anything.

I bet you anything Noivern also had a concept art equivalent similar to these starter leaks, showing it in different poses performing different actions, i.e. emitting sound or folding its wings over itself.

Not

Banned
If they said it'd be a wrestler and an archer, I think the odds are pretty good that concept art is real

Bakkus

I guess now we're back to the original universe, then.

No they didn't. The reveal in ORAS was that each individual game cartridge was its own universe, not that game a-f were in universe 1 and games g-q were in universe 2.

You sure about that?

Everyone was asking for no gyms and now that it might happen everyone is complaining

#gamers

"Everyone" personally I welcome this change should the replacement be good.

This is not even mentioning that the only smoking gun here is that it says that the new generation has a Fire/Poison Pokémon in it, without any details. I don't find that particularly compelling evidence, if I'm honest.

Lol, watch them be real. I don't get why people argue about it every single time there are leaks, it's whether you believe or not, simple.

Now read the banner of this site
#believe

I for one hope that these leaks are real, particularly the starter evos, because I like each one; even if the final Litten evo is Fire/Fighting.

I hope that concept art is nowhere near accurate. Those pokemon would be awful, 2edgy4me. Only popplio's evo is not edgy but it is disappointing

Delio

They could actually make an interesting story without gym leaders. Like each major character would be their own subplot.

Maybe in one town, there's a circus, and there's a whole subplot related to the circus, and you go here and there meeting the ringleader in all these different places doing all these different things, and then at the end she's like, "I'll give you what you seek, but I must test you one more time," and then you battle her and it's essentially a gym leader battle, but without the context of a gym.

Then you move onto the next town, and you need to meet a guru at the top of a mountain. Thus begins another subplot where you meet the guru here and there, do this and that, and then in the end there's another battle, justified in some way by the plot.

You still have the human characters. Still have the story junctures. Still have the milestone moments. Still have structure.

It's just not recycling the same ol' gym leader template. A breath of fresh air, really.

See im cool with that. Making it a true "quest" to get a badge. If it's like that then im pretty okay with that.

Astral

Motherfuck. I own like 3 cats. Litten was perfect. I was gonna name him or her after one of my cats. If Fire/Fighting is true then it ruins everything. Time to go with the Water starter for the first time ever.

Top Bottom