• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last Guardian Appearing at E3 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

A bad game is bad forever, a delayed game is potentially good.

I've always liked this sentiment, but I've thought about it more in recent months (for obvious reasons!) and it's starting to irritate me. I think it might be fallacious; it's not 'a delayed game' that's potentially good, it's an unfinished game. The delay just means it's unfinished for longer!

But then, of course, sunk cost fallacy kicks in. You need to throw more money into delaying a game. Which means you need to expect a higher return. So you're now making a riskier game. So do you try and alleviate that risk (make it more mass-market friendly, add in extra forms of revenue to make more money out of each purchaser) or do you send it out into the market and hope the higher risk pays off?

In short: Delays can impact on the consumer in ways beyond simply waiting longer to play it.

I fully expect TLG to be at E3 and to be at Sony's conference. If it isn't, then that game is done. Put the final nail in the coffin, it's done.

Hold on.. literally one day after Microsoft drops the price of the X1 by 100$, there's some type of leak that brings hype for Sony.

I can't believe it.

No way.

I just can't...

Saying that, Crash is a far bigger game than TLG imo. So hopefully that's there too #prays

Hoje0308

Banned
I fully expect TLG to be at E3 and to be at Sony's conference. If it isn't, then that game is done. Put the final nail in the coffin, it's done.

You know what will happen if it doesn't show though, right? We'll accept it until just after Gamescom and then, with TGS just over the horizon, the hype will start again.

In the end, I do agree with you though. I think that with MS trying desperately to gain an advantage, Sony should be willing to show most of their cards at E3. I'm a little torn though, because if MS has a really good show, that means Sony will present more games. But, it also means I'll be spending 400 Bones (Ahhh, I'm killing it!) on a new console the second year in a row. Nerd problems.

But then, of course, sunk cost fallacy kicks in. You need to throw more money into delaying a game. Which means you need to expect a higher return. So you're now making a riskier game. So do you try and alleviate that risk (make it more mass-market friendly, add in extra forms of revenue to make more money out of each purchaser) or do you send it out into the market and hope the higher risk pays off?

Japan Studio, thankfully, doesn't work that way.

There's no 200 people working on TLG for the past 7 years. Team members shift around different projects, and resources are focused onto games close to shipping, only diversifying back into the smaller creative teams once games are shipped.

We're talking about a studio of 400~ people, but has 40 projects running concurrently. That place runs like a goddamn art house with no supervision.

To be honest, I don't think that Sony needs to announce many games. The order and drive club are coming this year and at least an Uncharted was announced for the near future. There are still games like destiny, batman and the evil within which I want to play desperately.
I don't care if Sony or any other company wants to announce games which will be released in 2 to 3 years.

I want my the last Guardian and project beast though :-[.

Pretty sure that the game will be there. Maybe not playable but definitely a trailer to re-introduce it as a PS4 game.
Will probably release next year.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
image32.png

I don't think the game look good neither way, so I thin other hype was mostly because of the developer. Hopefully it looks superb on PS4, and they don't just keep te same graphics.

Sethista

after the last guardian ships or confirms as vaporware, how are we going to know the E3 rumors started if no one brings this one up every may? I hope they undersand the importance of keeping it as it is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
it's up there with beyond good & evil 2 and half-life 3 as one of those decade-long games in the making, and it has the best chance of surfacing at this e3. part of the reason for the delay could have been moving it to ps4 (as what happened with ff versus xiii).
In addition, while the length of development was much longer this time around, the same situation occurred with the original ICO. It spent some time under development on PSX only to wind up switching to PS2. When it was shown again at E3 2001 it ended up releasing just a few months later in September (with a demo appearing for it earlier that summer).

JimiNutz

Banned
Really hope so.
Waiting for that one Killer game to convince me to buy a PS4.
A good showing from The Last Guardian might just be it...

Jimrpg

Ueda is still working on TLG. He's just not employed by Sony

Yeah I know that. But he's only a special consultant now. Doesn't sound to me like he's on it full time. Is that a good thing? I mean it's his baby. He probably has given all he can and probably wants to work on something else. Or he got moved aside because he was taking too long.

I mean I hope for gamers sake this is going to be amazing.

Kssio_Aug

The holy MIA Japanese trinity was KH3, FFXV and TLG. I would say the odds are in our side.
Believe.

If those 3 shows up (FFXV with release date, KH3 with a bigger trailer then its reveal; and any trailer of TLG on PS4) thats all I need at this E3!

If those 3 shows up (FFXV with release date, KH3 with a bigger trailer then its reveal; and any trailer of TLG on PS4) thats all I need at this E3!

Could care less about FFXV or KH3.

Never cared about KH and I haven't cared about FF in a long time.

I'll take TLG over the other two in a heartbeat.

Is that a good thing?

Yes and no.

Ideally, TLG needs to be as great as if it was Ueda's full love and care going into it, but since he's no longer going to be part of Japan Studio after TLG, a successor needs to take his place.

If TLG comes out good through the leadership of someone else, but under his guidance and support, that bodes well for future games going forward, because that means Ueda did not leave Team ICO empty-handed.

Game studios face situations where major public figures and esteemed devs leave all the time. But the reality is game development goes on even without said leaders, and the next generation needs to pick up where he left.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Microsoft leak that came out some days back mention the new kinect-less SKU? Here's to hoping the Sony report had some semblance of truth to it as well and TLG is shown in all its glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom