• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox Streamer ($99), Xbox TV ($150-$175), Xbox Mini, & Xbox 2017 coming, more

VillageBC

Since when have MS given up because a product didn't perform well?
Apart from phones to consumers :(

Surface RT -> Surface Pro 4, what a turnaround.

It seems to happen fairly often in my mind. Which is definitely biased.

Besides Windows Phone, there was Kin before it and then WinCE before that.
Zune comes to mind.
Games for Windows Live (Didn't they kill, resurrect and kill this again?)
MS Money, those bastards! =)
Technet (That was awesome... all the OS/Products =( )

Though Google is the king of killing products.

Unknown?

All the talk to date has been of 'generations' disappearing as a concept. Games will be forward and backward compatible as new iterations of console come out (like PC is today).

No that only works for so long before games are held back. They don't make games to run on Windows XP anymore. If it's XB1.5 I'm okay with that. A full on new console? They can eat crap. Lol

There won't be games at E3? News to me.
You know what I'm getting at, surely.
We all know these conferences are going to be VR and console iteration focused, games are taking a backseat at the Microsoft and Sony pressers for sure.

It's crazy to say, but that's why I'm so excited for Bethesda's conference and EA Play. I expect a ton of exciting game announcements with some solid footage and maybe a few small VR announcements that'll actually matter.
That being actual VR games and not glorified tech demos.

KingBroly

Banned
That is the idea. Only problem MS will have is getting major 3rd parties to allow cross buy. Especially those with PC stores. Should be interesting times ahead.
Dont think any third party game does. Its gonna lead to issues of inferiority versus steam though me thinks

I'm pretty exited about the new devices and services from Microsoft. I think they're on something really interesting with Windows 10/Xbox integration.

Can't wait for their E3 conference !

pastrami

Is this something that can't be remedied by just having BC going forward?

Yeah, backwards compatibility is a part of it, but so is forward compatibility, and a larger selection of devices.

Why is it - it was working fine for PS4 this generation..

Sure the PS4 is doing great, but at Microsoft's expense. Microsoft lost their two strongest territories in the generational leap.

MilkyJoe

Why everyone is talking about Xbox 1.5 this fall ? I didn't heard that. I heard :

- Xbox Mini device (Apple TV like)
- Xbox Stick device (Chromecast)
- Xbox Interface on PC (Xbox becomes a platform)
- Next Xbox early next year

That's exactly what I heard and I watched it twice to be sure.

Okay, did we figure out the Xbox TV vs. the Xbox 1.5 vs. the Xbox Mini thing yet?

i took it as xbox tv being an apple tv clone (pretty much not a games console bar some stuff on the xbox store it can run) and xbox 1.5 which will be smaller than the current xbox but slightly upgraded.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay I tried to make the title reflect the ambiguity of the Xbox 1.5 vs. Xbox Mini thing and added another OP note.

Jarmel

Banned
What's the problem? Your console remains in the ecosystem.

I've played like a total of three games on my Xbone. At this point, I should have just waited for the upgraded versions.

Stupid me for not considering incremental upgrades in my purchase.

Thing is, as it looks now, if you have/buy a PC you will have access to the Xbox library.

Yep, considering just splurging and upgrading my GPUs. Well I'll do that anyway but spending even more on my GPUs.

JaggedSac

Sure the PS4 is doing great, but at Microsoft's expense. Microsoft lost their two strongest territories in the generational leap.

Yeah, they want to build a population that will grow and slow gradually, not in one big rollercoaster ride of chaos and destruction, lol.

Nibel

Oh boy

The 2017 Xbox, which is codenamed Scorpio, will have a more powerful GPU, according to three people familiar with this model, speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to speak about Microsoft’s plans. We hear that it will also be technically capable of supporting the Oculus Rift and that Microsoft is pursuing a partnership with Oculus. As for 2016, sources have told us there’s at least a more compact version coming by year’s end. One source believed it will include a larger 2TB hard drive, double the capacity of the most spacious current model. We’re expecting Microsoft to announce the more compact machine at E3 next month. (Kotaku’s Jason Schreier and Kotaku UK’s Keza MacDonald both independently corroborated this information.)

http://kotaku.com/sources-smaller-xbox-one-coming-this-year-more-powerf-1778634446

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait, so I think there's a TV thing and the Xbox 1.5 is maybe upgraded or maybe just a slim model?

Okay, I'm going to just leave things as is for a bit.

sense

so let me see if i got this

99$ streaming stick
150-175$ streaming box
299$ xbox slim/1.5
399-499$ probably xbox 2 next year

that is a lot of devices flooding the market so not sure if it will help them

Jawmuncher

The other stuff seems like typical things we have seen in the past. I'm curious about the Xbox 2 though. Are they gonna push that as a whole new system, just a upgraded box. Does seem at this point at least for MS Backwards Compatibility will be something they intend to keep. Especially since there's such a push for PC ecosystem.

Hoo-doo

Banned
But Chromecast and Apple TV do the same thing.

And neither have set the world on fire. I think at this point people already found something that streams their content. Offering W10 apps isn't going to get people to care anytime soon.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
The bolded is interesting

The two consoles form part of a wider Microsoft strategy, codenamed “Project Helix” according to one source, to converge Xbox and Windows. For a while now Microsoft has been clear that they want their two prestige brands to work together, as they’ve announced big new exclusives like Gears of War 4 and Sea of Thieves for both Xbox One and PC. Developer sources have told us that Microsoft’s new mandate is to release future games–including the flagship Halo series–on both platforms. The recently-cancelled Fable Legends, which was playable across Windows 10 and Xbox One, was one of the first games to implement this strategy.

dorikyasu

This rumor definitely got me interested.
All I want is a cheaper, slimmed down Xbox One.
I can do without optical drive and internal HDD, as most of my current gen game collections are digital, and I have a few external HDD's around.
Let's get to it, MS!

Not that long time ago some of the AAA game were still being released as a cross gen titles..

Plus many developers and studios didn't even release their first games for this gen, some didn't even announce any!

This gen just started to breath....

And they want to start a new gen next year?

Are they for real?

Xbox One are selling nicely so why fixing something isn't broken :\

so let me see if i got this

99$ streaming stick
150-175$ streaming box
299$ xbox slim/1.5
399-499$ probably xbox 2 next year

that is a lot of devices flooding the market so not sure if it will help them

I think it's more like

Stick this year.
Slim this year
Xbox 1.5 / 4k next year.

The device next year seems to be more iterative like PS4k. But I don't know.

SOR5

Mind updating this OP?

iOllQeY.jpg

There isnt a 1.5 btw, at least from these sources

MilkyJoe

The 2017 Xbox, which is codenamed Scorpio, will have a more powerful GPU, according to three people familiar with this model, speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to speak about Microsoft’s plans. We hear that it will also be technically capable of supporting the Oculus Rift and that Microsoft is pursuing a partnership with Oculus.

i%2Bfucking%2Bknew%2Bit.png

but this article is probably bollocks

Papacheeks

Banned
Very interesting stuff. This is so damn cool.

It seems like Microsoft has ditched the idea of "all in one entertainment" and will have more hardware that specializes in different areas. This is fantastic news!!

It's what I actually thought they should have done years ago. Having options is the best way to make everyone happy.

Why everyone is talking about Xbox 1.5 this fall ? I didn't heard that. I heard :

- Xbox Mini device (Apple TV like)
- Xbox Stick device (Chromecast)
- Xbox Interface on PC (Xbox becomes a platform)
- Next Xbox early next year

He said a chromecast like device, an apple TV like device, Xbox 1.5 (with 4k media) this year and an Xbox 2 (VR enabled, extremely powerful) next year.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
That's been clear for a while now.

Didn't thought that even Halo was going to be ported. But if they really are transitioning to Xbox being an entertainment brand instead of a console it makes sense.

Top Bottom