• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox Streamer ($99), Xbox TV ($150-$175), Xbox Mini, & Xbox 2017 coming, more

Controversial, but I can understand why Microsoft is cutting this generation short. Xbox One is still having issues related to 2013 ordeal, so it's smart for them to start fresh. I hope it's a true generational leap and not a 1.5 like the PS4 Neo.

GaussTek

Mhmm, 3) New Xbox based on "New architecture", what does that mean, that they are moving from x86 again? I guess that won't be the case right? (Not after all they've made to unify devices, Universal apps and things like X360 BC).

Teletraan1

Banned
This 10Tflop console sounds like pure bullshit. The 1080 is only 9TFlops and people seriously think a console is going to house something more powerful than that and be sellable for a realistic price, next year? Who comes up with this bullshit?

AMD Fury X is 8 tflops from 12 months ago which is roughly around NVidia 6 tflops.

Nvidia on the new 16nm process is doing 980ti/Fury X perf at 150W this summer so if AMD can catch up with NVidia and deliver similar power to perf then they should have a 8-10tflop GPU fairly soon at ~150w. A new machine could be revealed in spring next year and released at the end of 2017. I'd guess it would be a 150W GPU and 25-35W Zen CPU separate if MS is going big.

Not saying any of this is happening 10 tflops isn't crazy if you know what the Fury X is doing last year and power gains already seen by NVidia 16nm with 980ti perf at 150w.

I still *think* he is wrong. Here is my interpretation on everything that was rumored and found (FCC and Anatel stuff):
- the Nano stick thing is probably true
- the Lunchbox sized device IS in fact the Xbox One Slim with full gaming capability
- He confused the Xbox 1.5 with this Xbox One Slim

So 2 new devices this year and the big upgrade next year.

This is what we will probably see plus the Xbox UI in PC. Fits the Ecosystem push they are going for better.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This is interesting. It also lines up the Xbox Two to launch at almost around the same time as the NX. This is a really short generation.

I still *think* he is wrong. Here is my interpretation on everything that was rumored and found (FCC and Anatel stuff):
- the Lunchbox sized device IS in fact the Xbox One Slim with full gaming capability

It sounds likely. I'm intrigued how the 40% smaller version will be shrunk so much though... ultra slimline bluray drive?...

Maybe they'll have a power supply five times the size hosting the gpu (hey Misterxmedia was right).

SOR5

Mhmm, 3) New Xbox based on "New architecture", what does that mean, that they are moving from x86 again? I guess that won't be the case right? (Not after all they've made to unify devices, Universal apps and things like X360 BC).

I think he meant just powerful new hardware in general, not x86 architecture, he was going live and seemed a bit impromptu

JaggedSac

This 10Tflop console sounds like pure bullshit. The 1080 is only 9TFlops and people seriously think a console is going to house something more powerful than that and be sellable for a realistic price, next year? Who comes up with this bullshit?

Brad said he hadn't heard anything about the tf count of the hardware for next year. Why people keep bringing it up is beyond me.

Daffy Duck

Interesting. I get way more out of my playstation than my Xbox so I probably wouldn't upgrade to a new Xbox in the fall. The biggest bonus for these upgraded consoles is the 4k capabilities but it would be hard for me to justify upgrading both.

I cannot see either console giving us 4K gaming.

Kayant

Did I listen to the same podcast as the rest of you?

He said

1) Xbox streaming stick, similar to a Chromecast.
2) Xbox TV similar to a roku/apple TV NOT a XBO slim.
3) Xbox new box, VR enabled, revealed spring 2017, based on new architecture
4) Xbox 1.5, 4k output revealed later this year
5) Xbox interface being worked on as a BPM for PC.

Apart from the Xbox 2 rumour, which he was incredibly flaky on, it sounds utterly disappointing. The XBO on PC is interesting, but honestly was only a matter of time before that happened.
That's a shit tonne of hardware.

The streaming stuff sounds like what Sony are doing with Playstation in terms of entertainment leaving under the Xbox umbrella. Should be interesting to see how their reattempt works out for them after XB1's earlier failure and the amount of competition there is atm with that.
4) Xbox 1.5, 4k output revealed later this year
Phil Spencer said:
That PR. Now let's see if this XB1.5 has any hardware upgrades to better support 4K gaming.

Wait are you telling me their source is someone as biased as misterXmedia ?The guy who still thinks that the Xbox One is 2 times as powerful as a ps4, the same guy ?
Actually it's worse iirc the source was banned from misterXmedia for being too unrealistic or something lool. This rumor however it's talking about the power more the fact that a new Xbox with a different architecture is coming.

Edit -

Maybe not the case after all - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=204622569#post204622569

MilkyJoe

This guy that did the stream really needs to write all this down ,because it appears that what he has said has been interoperated a dozen different ways.

Jaagen

I would love an "X-cast" streaming stick if it means that Xbone games are coming to Windows 10. Then I would just buy a stick, a controller and stream Halo.

Xbox as a Platform (XaaP) is probably the biggest news here.

The other devices announced are another avenue for Windows developers to target more audiences. A lot of the stuff rumoured here is making sense.

Develop 1 app which can run the same code on XBOX, PC, TABLET, MOBILE, XBOXCAST, XBOXMINI, HALOLENS.

Not bad.

otakukidd

I'm curious if the xbox menu on pc will work with more than just games. Windows has a problem with 10 foot controls. Controlling a pc hooked up to a tv sucks with a keyboard and mouse. Being able to control apps like Netflix and Hulu with a controller would fix that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
'Xbox as a platform'

onQ123 had been saying this for years. Where he at?

Same thing will be happening with PlayStation and Nintendo with the 'one ecosystem'. They all want tasty Android/iOS pie.

Welfare

You know what, it very well could be. The Xbox One's surface area is ~431" and -40% would mean the slim would be ~259" in SA. Looking at lunch box sizes, the Yubo lunchbox SA is ~252", and that is on the higher end.

Genio88

All Microsoft needs to do is to give me all Xbox exclusive on Windows 10 Store simultaneously, like Quantum Break did, but hopefully with better performance from now on like Forza 6 Apex and Killer Instinct, so that i'll finally just sell my Xbox One keeping only my PC for gaming.
About this Xbox 2 with 10 TFlops next year...i don't believe that at all, for sure there will be a Xbox One upgrade which will be backwards compatible with the current model, perhaps slightly faster than PS4 Neo and with VR support(Oculus? new Microsoft Headset?), but 10 TFlops on a console next year is really out of this world, not even the over 700$ new GTX 1080 reachs 10 TFlops yet

JackHerer

Sounds like the PS4 Neo leak caught MS off guard (once again) if they're really not gonna launch this year when Sony is.

A one year head start is really gonna give Sony the edge much like the 360 last gen.

Rest of the stuff sounds like potential plan Bs in case MS leaves the console industry.

Not if the Xbox 2 is a large bump over the NEO at a lower price. I'm not sure that MS declining to release a higher priced 1.5 that plays games at better FPS/RES is akin to the 360 headstart. The NEO is not a new gen, correct me if I'm wrong.

JaggedSac

Xbox as a Platform is probably the biggest news here.

The other devices announced are another avenue for Windows developers to target more audiences. A lot of the stuff rumoured here is making sense.

Develop 1 app which can run the same code on XBOX, PC, TABLET, MOBILE, XBOXCAST, XBOXMINI, HALOLENS.

Not bad.

But that isn't new news. Only thing new is that the UI shell from Bone is making its way to Windows for couch pc gaming.

Rellik

Screw them if so! Rushing out a new gen like when the first Xbox failed to compete. Looks like the XO won't even hit 40 million if they start a new gen so quickly.

They're not jumping into a whole new generation, especially when people would still have to make all the games for Neo. It'll be Xbox's equivalent to Neo, not an Xbox Two.

But who knows. Microsoft have done crazier stuff.

Screw them if so! Rushing out a new gen like when the first Xbox failed to compete. Looks like the XO won't even hit 40 million if they start a new gen so quickly.

All the talk to date has been of 'generations' disappearing as a concept. Games will be forward and backward compatible as new iterations of console come out (like PC is today).

I'm just going to wait until E3. There are too many ways of misconstruing this vague information. Too many what ifs.
One thought was with the convergence of interface over PC and XB1, what if the streaming devices actually streamed from your PC to your TV or Surface? or you could put that mini box in your bedroom and stream your XB1 or PC to there? You buy 1 copy of the game and you can run it on your XB1, a more customized version on your PC(dependent on specs) or stream it to any device. Sounds good to me.
But again, I'll wait until E3.

Sydle

Probably right.

I would love a setup of having all my games on my PC with the ability to stream anything (Steam, Xbox, etc) to the TV via a Xbox TV stick or cheap Roku-like device.

But that isn't new news. Only thing new is that the UI shell from Bone is making its way to Windows for couch pc gaming.
True but it's finally happening, they really are managing to bring everything together under 1 ecosystem. I take it you buy a game on XBOX and you can play it anywhere where capable. Shared ecosystem under 1 roof.

Kayant

Why everyone is talking about Xbox 1.5 this fall ? I didn't heard that. I heard :

- Xbox Mini device (Apple TV like)
- Xbox Stick device (Chromecast)
- Xbox Interface on PC (Xbox becomes a platform)
- Next Xbox early next year
Ok this makes more sense because a revision like PS4 Neo in terms of hardware and then a new gen upgrade? next year would have been kind of silly.

Yeah, E3 is going to be really boring for us looking for games but really exciting for those jonesing for more VR intervention and hardware.

As someone who's resting firmly in the former catagory and isn't a big fan of this whole "iterative console generation" thing, this is killing my E3 hype.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

There's 'architectures' at a level below x86. New GCN revs, new x86 processors, new memory setup maybe (i.e. maybe they'll ditch the eDram orientation). Could be any or all of that. I doubt very much they're moving away from x86.

Basically: it'll be 'new chips', not necessarily radically new chip architectures.

Yeah, E3 is going to be really boring for us looking for games but really exciting for those jonesing for more VR intervention and hardware.

As someone who's resting firmly in the former catagory and isn't a big fan of this whole "iterative console generation" thing, this is killing my E3 hype.

There won't be games at E3? News to me.

Daffy Duck

Why the fuck did I buy any of these consoles?

Pretty much how I am feeling too.

:/

There won't be games at E3? News to me.

Well, even if there are games at E3, what platform/revision they will actually ship on is anyones guess, which can dampen the old spirits somewhat.

Think Watch_Dogs levels of hype, only to find the actual Xbox One/PS4 version looks pants compared to the XB1.5/PSNeo version.

It's not of the ordinary that games get shown circa two years before release at E3 so it's a very real probability games shown here may not actually come to XB1/PS4 as we know them.

JaggedSac

True but it's finally happening, they really are managing to bring everything together under 1 ecosystem. I take it you buy a game on XBOX and you can play it anywhere where capable. Shared ecosystem under 1 roof.

That is the idea. Only problem MS will have is getting major 3rd parties to allow cross buy. Especially those with PC stores. Should be interesting times ahead.

All that he has said will be announced is the MS version of Amazon fire TV, one that will probably play xbox live arcade games.

And are they going to be too late to the party, people already have fire tv, apple tv, a smart tv that does everything already. Is the market opening there?

Will they brand it as Xbox? Sullying the "gaming" division name with yet more "TV TV TV" nonsense? If they get up on stage and bang on about a fecking TV streaming device for 70% of their Xbox E3 conference, then... I can only imagine the backlash.

Would they be so stupid as to try this a second time? Make the games the after thought again? Would they? Of course they would.

They'll stealth it...

They never actually did "Tv, Tv, Tv" at E3, though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah i don't believe it . That would be insane.

The 'Xbox 1.5' here really just sounds like it's in the realm of a Xbox One Slim. A slim of the existing model + new model with new guts next year seems totally feasible to me. The 1.5 model here isn't a big change.

ps3ud0

Xbox as a MC-like attachment to Win10 is the thing that most interests me, basically means Xbox Machines. Really looking forward to a new PC now, just waiting for the VR teenagers to kiss and make up...

ps3ud0 8)

CoG

Probably get off the ESRAM and used GDDR5 like they should have 3 years ago.

Top Bottom