• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 to get 2 years worth of DLC

AHA-Lambda

From the thread on BlOps 3 pre orders:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1134731

e5a1d962586a9e392a83506201f963dc.png

Apparently, this guy has been pretty spot on before regarding Black Ops 3 details.

He's been pretty spot on with stuff in the past. Got the whole early intel about the story plot and how the zombies would play out. I think it would be a great decision. Shows confidence in Treyarch and their game by Activision and would break the yearly cycle for more quality.

If this is true then ATVI clearly see where the power in the franchise is right now, given Black Ops 2's population still, plus considering Ghosts reception and it's nu-IW's turn next year.
Lock if old.

CHC

People still play BLOPS II like crazy, so the audience is there... why not cater to it?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
2 years worth of zombie maps would be nice. They could even drip feed some of the old ones.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I could see it. Treyarch/Activision seem incredibly confident with BLOPS 3 and out of all of them Treyarch are amazing for supporting their games.

Well I mean Infinity Ward is next up so...

... Yeah, I'd much rather get more content for my Treyarch COD game instead.

Ogimachi

Without a new title next year there's no way a remaster would cannibalize sales. Probably the only remaster I'd buy this gen, depending on which games are included.

RK128

I wonder how that would work; instead of making a new title, is Infinity Ward making DLC content now?

....Considering Destiny proved you can make DLC/Expansions instead of full games (and charge it at full retail price, in the case of the retail version of the expansion), I could see them trying this move out with Call of Duty.

Its also worth to keep in mind that Black Ops 3 seems to be one of the best COD games in a very long time (though I heard good things about Advanced Warfare), it might be smart to keep the content rolling out for BO3 instead of releasing a new title.

I wonder if this includes Single Player DLC, as it would be interesting if they make a Zombie Single Player campaign (a new one, not what is already in the game) or make a 3-5 hour romp through a time period not covered in the series for that single player DLC.

Kalentan

I wouldn't even mind if they dropped IW and just had Treyarch and Sledgehammer release a game every 2 years...

So it would go like this:

2015 - Treyarch Release
2016 - Season 1 DLC
2017 - Season 2 DLC and ends the year with SledgeHammer's release

Rinse and repeat.

Honestly I can see a lot of people buying a second Black Ops 3 season pass than buying Ghosts 2/MW4 or whatever.

What's that, about 16 multiplayer maps and 4 zombie maps? Probably more if the amount of content in the base game is an indication.

Welfare

You know what? Give CoD an off year and alternate releases with Destiny. One year Destiny, the next CoD, then Destiny, repeat.

I know this won't happen, but it'll give CoD some downtime.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So this means i can ignore the next 2 years worth of games until World at War 2? Sweet

Nokterian

And it seems finally activision noticed how many people still play Blops 2 but overall why at this point Treyarch remains my favorite seeing the long legs blops 3 will have. To IW and SH...you tried sorry.

I am assuming IW will not be next year but the year after...2 years between games, but much more dlc

It's hard to imagine that they'll skip a year for a CoD release. If it's true then i'd guess that IW's CoD is going to differentiate itself from AW and BO quite a bit. Possibly going back to one of the WW settings. They've acquired quite a bit of talent since Ghosts releases, so I think Activision is likely more confident in their next game than some thing. For example, they've hired the lead designer of The Last of Us.

RK128

I could see the following happen with this news:
-DLC Packs releasing every 2-3 months until November
-Black Ops 3: Invasion of the Dead/Time Period Themed Expansion announced
-New maps, new single player campaign, new zombie's maps and new gameplay mechanics
-Priced as a Season Pass (30-40 bucks), with a second season pass for the expansion running through 2017
-Infinity Ward Releases Modern Warfare Trilogy on PS4/X1/PC Summer 2016 (NX port for Fall 2016 if it gets one/system comes out); comes with the campaigns for all three games, all the DLC maps and MP content and more.

LycanXIII

I wouldn't even mind if they dropped IW and just had Treyarch and Sledgehammer release a game every 2 years...

So it would go like this:

2015 - Treyarch Release
2016 - Season 1 DLC
2017 - Season 2 DLC and ends the year with SledgeHammer's release

Rinse and repeat.

4 year dev cycles with 2 main devs? How fitting would it be to see IW become a support dev after so many devs had to support them?

It's hard to imagine that they'll skip a year for a CoD release. If it's true then i'd guess that IW's CoD is going to differentiate itself from AW and BO quite a bit. Possibly going back to one of the WW settings. They've acquired quite a bit of talent since Ghosts releases, so I think Activision is likely more confident in their next game than some thing. For example, they've hired the lead designer of The Last of Us.

Ghosts ended in a cliffhanger, they're not going to drop it yet.

PLEASE

I would rather spend another $50 towards Treyarch Blops III DLC than $60 on possibly Ghosts 2.

But for all we know, Ghosts 2 could be a good game, so I guess I should wait and see.

Already have my season pass preordered for Blops III.

Top Bottom