• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Xbox being bought by Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what Amazon is really want to buy... Established hardware department! And i don't bellive that MS will sell well-known Xbox brand so easily anyway. MS could still own Xbox brand for entertainment services and keep profitable game franchises for PC/PS4 publishing.

If Amaon will sign that deal, i think MS would drop Xbone entirely and Bezos will start to develop his own AppleTV-esque device, because it's just silly to interfere Sony's o Nin's sales on Amazon. right? And rival a PS4? Those baby sunk even MS's Titanic-like Xbone, imagine what would happen with company, that can dispatch far less budgets on gaming-only oriented device.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If Xbox continues down its current path it is of no worth to MS. The One is a fiasco outside the US, and is losing ground to Sony as we speak even in the US. It sold well before christmas, which could be because of PS4 shortages. In January there was a lot less demand, and suddenly PS4 outsells Xbone 2-1. This could just escalate. In Europe Xbone is pretty much dead.

Also the fact that the Xbox project is still in the red at MS(can't source, just seen evidence multiple times on this very board) and that the road to redemption is long and expensive for MS would suggest they would just dump instead of wasting even more money.
These are short term issues though, based on anemic launch lineups on both sides and a bunch of other factors that can be attributed to current circumstance. And even the power differential isn't enough to surmount the media potential the Xbox brand carries/what differentiates the X1 from everything else on the market and what they have planned in the future.

I think he has a pretty good track record. He'd probably post it here himself if there was more to it though.

Seems kind of weird to me. I mean, MS just went out of their way to buy Gears of War, so it seems strange they'd be looking into selling the whole division.

Equivalent of redoing the bathroom just before you sell the house.

What makes you say that? Amazon are an enormous company. I think they're the biggest Internet based company in the world, if memory serves.

Exactly what I said, Amazon does not have the money to burn; e.g. toss in the garbage.

I could be wrong, but Amazon hasn't exactly been the most profitable company. It was to my knowledge part of the Bezos plan, the idea that it would be 10 or so years before they became profitable.

Purchasing a bloated brand such as MS does not sound like a smart business decision.

Waikis

What makes you say that? Amazon are an enormous company. I think they're the biggest Internet based company in the world, if memory serves.

But regardless of that, I don't believe this. I don't think many if any companies would be interested, purely because the brand has been a huge money sink. I think if MS want to be rid of it they'll need to spin it off into its own company.

While Amazon is a big company, they still haven't turned a profit even after years of operating.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GAF would die for sure. It can't even handle a Nintendo Direct.
---
Fwiw, if I were an Xbox owner, I would desperately want this to be true. Xbox becomes instantly more desirable to me knowing Amazon is running the show.
Why would you be so confident of Amazon I the gaming space? Especially considering the extent of their efforts thus far are buying small time studios and being rumoured to work on an Android console? Doesn't sound like they're trying to run the same show or even one that would intentionally compete with the PS4. If anything, it hints at transitioning the brand to something else.

MormaPope

Banned
Amazon makes a cheap but capable streaming Xbox. Stream titles from the original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One catalogs. Competitive pricing, getting Amazon Prime means free games and weekly deals with pricing. It will be called Xbox Infinity.

Just some goofy ass fan fiction.

Alienous

nFSebim.gif%3F1

They could use the customer service.

Eusis

Amazon makes a cheap but capable streaming Xbox. Stream titles from the original Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One catalogs. Competitive pricing, getting Amazon Prime means free games and weekly deals with pricing. It will be called Xbox Infinity.

Just some goofy ass fan fiction.
That'd just be a Roku with a Xbox wireless receiver built in.

Yaoibot

And you think with all those expenses MS is going to walk away for a cpl bil? Yah, this is MS we are talking about. Guys, Amazon is not buying Xbox. This is the joke topic of the year.

There is no money for them in consumer electronics or entertainment. They are a software and OS company. I don't know why people don't get this, and I explained it better on in an earlier post. Ballmer's who tenure was a dangerous diversion from what made them profitable. Its allowed Google to expand its enterprise solutions faster and further than they should have.

I can't even fathom the logistics of transferring the physical and R&D assets of Xbox to a company like Amazon. I guess the MS engineers would be part of the package? Would be mind blowing if this actually happened.

Kolgar

This is perhaps the one thing that would change my mind and even get me to consider buying an X1.

I no longer trust Microsoft, but Amazon? I think they treat their customers differently.

This would be good for Xbox.

While Amazon is a big company, they still haven't turned a profit even after years of operating.

This is the key thing that people tend to forget. Amazon is not about to bring on a multi-billion dollar acquisition of a particular division that is seemingly having difficulties. Amazon wants to get into casual gaming, maybe even a bit of mainstream. They do not want to enter into the supposedly dying console business.

Shtof

Well we'd be one step closer to the prediction I made.

The big three will be apple, amazon and samsung.

Apple and Samsung already hit their top. Without Jobs, there is no going back to the top for Apple(at the very least extremely unlikely). They'll stay strong for a few more years, but their best years are over. Samsung used the popularity of Apple products and along with Google created rival products of the similar quality which pulled in the guys which did not like or could not afford Apple.

Anyways, Apple and Samsung are not interested in gaming at the moment, and the end of specific gaming hardware is drawing close(since Samsung is a hardware company). You really need a strong brand like Playstation to do any numbers these days, and soon that won't be enough.

Sony will stay in the business because of their strong brand and downsizing the company, same with Nintendo.

Valve will be happy to take Microsofts place as soon as they jump out.

I work in banking and read a lot of research papers and the like from industry analysts. The concensus seems to be that MS is a company in decline, that makes 75% of profit from software and services and next to nothing from gaming/entertainment. In that context, surely its not beyond the realms of possibility that they would sell the division on the cheap?

Why would Microsoft want to get rid of Xbox in the first place? They seem to be doing just fine with the Xbox One. To focus on Windows?

Eusis

Why would Microsoft want to get rid of Xbox in the first place? They seem to be doing just fine with the Xbox One. To focus on Windows?
We're only about 3 monthes into its life so we don't really have enough for the long haul, but it doesn't look good when despite PS4 shortages the XB1's outsold roughly 2:1. It looks to foreshadow an immediate slide akin to the Wii U (but probably not as extreme unless Microsoft's really unlucky.)

Ding-Ding

famousmortimer needs a better source.

Not being funny but dismissing this out of hand would be pretty daft.

MS have spent the last 8 months completely overhauling their upper management. You dont do something like that just to carry on with exactly the same vision. Anything not making a shit ton of cash will be under threat and that includes the XBox brand.

Also to the people that think that Gates being back around will mean that the XBox is safe, think again. He has killed off many of his pet projects in the past, he wouldn't hesitate to recommend dumping the XBox if he thought it was financially prudent to do so.

You dont become that rich by being a sentimental old fool

Guerilla

Because they keep losing money on it and hiding under the Devices and Services rag. And I wouldn't call the Xbox One launch fine, more like mediocre.

boyshine

Xbox One "Tier 2" countries = countries with no local Amazon site (except Japan). Would be hillarious if THAT'S the reason for Tier 2 delay.

LowerLevel

I think he has a pretty good track record. He'd probably post it here himself if there was more to it though.

Seems kind of weird to me. I mean, MS just went out of their way to buy Gears of War, so it seems strange they'd be looking into selling the whole division.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the TV/Streaming options they planned and, almost most assuredly, spent a bunch of money on?

Jawmuncher

MS investors want to get rid of Xbox(its margins are nothing compared to their cloud services) and Amazon has shown interest in getting into the console/home media center business.

I mean they already bought double helix.

Yeah when you think about that this seems like the best route for Amazon to jump in.
While this "rumor" is pretty far fetched, It's fun to think of this what if scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom