• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#SaveShenmue - The Shenmue 3 campaign

Ok serious question,

If by the off-chance they are in the DEV room right now working on 3, what do you think they do?

A) Continue the series as intended years ago, with multiple chapters (6 I recall), not have a definitive ending and wait to see how the market reacts

or

B) Create an epic finale whereby Ryo gets his final revenge in pure video game glory, balls to the wall going for GOTY, GOTC status?

If they finish it, they would probably fill out the rest of the story with one game and open up the doors for continuation should it sell well enough.

sn00zer

Im not even sure what sort of game people expect Shenmue 3 to be.....the series isnt popular enough to justify a retail release, much less a AAA budget

Spaghetti

Ok serious question,

If by the off-chance they are in the DEV room right now working on 3, what do you think they do?

A) Continue the series as intended years ago, with multiple chapters (6 I recall), not have a definitive ending and wait to see how the market reacts

or

B) Create an epic finale whereby Ryo gets his final revenge in pure video game glory, balls to the wall going for GOTY, GOTC status?
yu suzuki already said he's managed to work the finale of the shenmue story into one last game, so b. i don't think he'd waste the chance.

i hope some of the cool stuff from the old project berkley video makes it in, like the training monk in the snow, and ryo hanging onto the side of a moving train.

i imagine at some point the game will have ryo and shenhua on the trans-mongolian railway anyway.

You guys keep forgetting that everyone Ryo meet's esp in Shenmue 2 keep telling him Revenge is not the way. I dont doubt there will be a fight between him and Lan DI but I dont think he will kill him.

I don't remember the story that well. I only remember that he got away on the Choppa!!!

Kimppis

Yeah, the video was actually good. Played Shenmue for the first time in 2011. Shenmue 2 is phenomenal, haters should play it. Let it go? Why? Shenmue 3 is a possibility, in some form. We have seen unlikelier things to happen. It doesn't have to be a big-budget title. This campaign won't really help, but so what?

Midou

Im not even sure what sort of game people expect Shenmue 3 to be.....the series isnt popular enough to justify a retail release, much less a AAA budget

I believe if they did a HD-make of 1&2 with new voice actors and fixed controls, mixed in with previous fans, it could get justification for a release.

Hell, if they make Shenmue 1&2 HD, make Shenmue 3 in that engine for all I care. I still love what Shenmue looks like when I play it these days. I'd settle for a high res Dreamcast game, would pay a high price, though they could probably get away with $30-40 with that kind of release.

Bio-Frost

Plus a lot of what made Shenmue so expensive was the research(already done) and how in depth the world was. Shenmue 2 ends with Ryo in mainland china, he wont be looking though a bunch of drawers in someones house there. If anything the last part of Shenmue would be the least expensive to produce.

Midou

Plus a lot of what made Shenmue so expensive was the research(already done) and how in depth the world was. Shenmue 2 ends with Ryo in mainland china, he wont be looking though a bunch of drawers in someones house there. If anything the last part of Shenmue would be the least expensive to produce.

No drawers, no sale.

Kimppis

did he have a translator/were you speaking japanese?

it's entirely possible he had literally no idea what you were saying outside of 'shenmue' and '3'

I think Yu Suzuki speaks, or atleast understands English pretty well. I've seen a video where he spoke a few sentences of English and even his pronunciation was ok. Here.

I think Shenmue's unpopularity is often exaggerated. The first game sold 1 million copies on the Dreamcast. Sure, many people hated it. But even then, there's probably over 100k of Shenmue fans (more or less). And the franchise's status is pretty legendary among hardcore gamers. Shenmue 3 would generate some insane hype. It would sell certainly sell atleast 100k-500k copies. Doesn't sound too bad, huh? Just set your budget accordingly.

http://shenmue.wikia.com/wiki/Shenmue_III

Seriously people. It's dead. It's not even remotely near the production pipeline.

Yeah, a game that is not currently in production is certainly dead. I guess those Kickstarted franchises were dead too. I mean, there's never been a series that has been resurrected after 10+ years... Shenmue is unlikely? Sure. Impossible? Nah.

Kimppis

Video wasn't that funny
Game wasn't that funny

Let it go people.

"Game"? Oh, I didn't know Shenmue 2 doesn't exist. It's a real shame that nobody in the US played it. Shenmue 2 is one of the best sequels ever made and even Shenmue 1 is an totally unique experience to this day. Sure, if you absolutely hated the first game, Shenmue 2 probably won't change your mind, but every gamer should give it a try.

Stimpack

To everyone regurgitating the whole "let it go" business, why do you even care? People liked the games, people want to see them again. Why even walk into this thread when all you want to do is shit on it. Not only that, but as you can see there are many who are just repeating the same exact thing.

Spaghetti

I think Yu Suzuki speaks, or atleast understands English pretty well. I've seen a video where he spoke a few sentences of English and even his pronunciation was ok. Here.
in fairness he probably knows enough to get the general idea when talking simply about wanting shenmue 3 for instance, but there's a reason why he has a translator

and to be honest he's probably better at english than peter molyneux, who seemed to be stumbling through the introduction in that gdc 2000 video you linked like he'd had a few bottles of wine beforehand. "shinmoo" by "yu simisuki" indeed.

completely agree about shenmue's unpopularity being overstated though. if anything it could do quite well considering how geared the market is towards narrative driven games now, especially considering shenmue always had a wealth of gameplay variety and far reaching depth and breadth when it came to world building. nobody is expecting huge numbers though, and shenmue 3 as it was originally envisioned with a few extra bells and whistles on would not cost the world to develop.

it's not like the shenmue fanbase has shrunk all that much either, it's achieved cult status quite some time ago and there are still people (some of which i think are in this thread) who didn't play shenmue on release and still very much enjoyed it despite hopping onto the boat several years later.

as for why people tell us to let it go? i dunno. it doesn't concern them, they're no more mature or significantly more of a realist than any one of us. they're the fun police, or rather the optimism police. it's very petty really, and i wish they'd fuck off.

No because it will flop again and bury the series even deeper down hell
Never flopped, just didn't make back the massive cost wages and special Saturn devkits incurred (Shenmue actually sold a million in the States, whodathunk).

Poor Lou: he's gonna have to wait for the post-mortem to see if Yu's got anything up his sleeve. HD-makes with a modernized control scheme would work well, so long as there's data transfer between both digital copies.

Maligna

Banned
To everyone regurgitating the whole "let it go" business, why do you even care? People liked the games, people want to see them again. Why even walk into this thread when all you want to do is shit on it. Not only that, but as you can see there are many who are just repeating the same exact thing.

Glad to see someone finally say this. Agreed. If it's not your interest, why bother trying to add nothing buy negativity?

Glad to see someone finally say this. Agreed. If it's not your interest, why bother trying to add nothing buy negativity?

image.php

This isn't a biased post at all.

Anyway, as much as I'd love Shenmue 3, I'll believe it when it's in my hands.

No, I didn't watch the video because like I said...

sn00zer

I believe if they did a HD-make of 1&2 with new voice actors and fixed controls, mixed in with previous fans, it could get justification for a release.

Hell, if they make Shenmue 1&2 HD, make Shenmue 3 in that engine for all I care. I still love what Shenmue looks like when I play it these days. I'd settle for a high res Dreamcast game, would pay a high price, though they could probably get away with $30-40 with that kind of release.

Honestly they could just hire the Yakuza guys to do it...I think the tech is certainly there

Whompa

Yeah, a game that is not currently in production is certainly dead. I guess those Kickstarted franchises were dead too. I mean, there's never been a series that has been resurrected after 10+ years... Shenmue is unlikely? Sure. Impossible? Nah.

A production that is not in production IS NOTHING...it's not alive. It's dead. It was cancelled.

What Kickstarted franchises are you even talking about?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That video was fucking fantastic. Really nice work.

As for Shenmue III... I mean, shit. C'mon, Sega. I don't care if you make it with Dreamcast-quality graphics. Just gimme.

Maligna

Banned
That video was fucking fantastic. Really nice work.

As for Shenmue III... I mean, shit. C'mon, Sega. I don't care if you make it with Dreamcast-quality graphics. Just gimme.

I would actually be supremely happy if Shenmue III was made with Dreamcast level tech. Anything more than that is just a bonus.

Spaghetti

Honestly they could just hire the Yakuza guys to do it...I think the tech is certainly there
... the yazuka team is an internal sega team, they're already hired!

as for shenmue flopping? it did well with critics and consumers, but it didn't make its money back. calling it a flop is too harsh when the economic reality of having to sell that game twice to every dreamcast owner to make a profit is the baseline for any modicum of success. the odds were tipped so highly against shenmue's favour but it still sold over a million.

maybe if peter moore hadn't used shenmue 2 to get himself a microsoft job the project might have broke even or made a profit.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That Wiki post was painful to read. All story is ready? Concept work is ready?

Shit. Damn you, Sony, for killing the Dreamcas! Now save the game for your redemption!

Why some people see a dedicated fanbase like this as a bad thing is beyond me. How does this affect you in any way?
"Let it go"? Why should they? It's just people who love the games to the point that 10+ years later they are still letting SEGA know they want a sequel. Is it something that annoying?

MilkBeard

I was hoping the 'let it go people' people would have gotten that out of their system on the first page. I was wrong. Maybe page 3?

--

On topic: there are a few Shenmue groups that hold strong and do small events to keep public awareness about the series. It was a good series, and if there are people who really want it, they have my support. I'd love a Shenmue 3. Maybe one day.

I'll support this cause just so long as we get some support back on the Legends 3 front. Never forget Capcom and never forgive!

Is there a anti-save campaign as well? I would like to join it. Not joking. I just think the series in synonymous with failure. Every console the series has touched has failed significantly.

People saying to let it go need to let it go.

Shenmue 3 is never going to exist, but there's zero harm in campaigns like these (unless that shoe landed in someone's face).

Rikkun

That video was fun and well done! It's just a shame that people here love to bash everything. If you're not interested just keep away, fans always ask for the comeback of their favourite series (see Silent Hill, Duke Nukem, Shenmue, Metroid) and we already changed minds in the past (with kickstarter or with campaigns, see DRM, Dark Souls PC, Sega ports hopefully).

So just fuck off. Really. I'm not even a fan of the game, I still have to play Shenmue II and I'm not in a hurry at all.

Maligna

Banned
Glad to see the supporters are coming out now and there's less, "Let it die." comments.

Meh, Shenmue is purchase-console tier, though I already got a Wii U, woulda bought one for Shenmue,.

Indeed. I think Shenmue or a Pokemon MMO are the only things that could sway me to a Wii U at this point unfortunately.

Is there a anti-save campaign as well? I would like to join it. Not joking. I just think the series in synonymous with failure. Every console the series has touched has failed significantly.
Every console the series has touched has also had a Jet Set Radio game.

The magic powers the series bestows are quite capricious.

Maligna

Banned

Correlation does not equal causation. Also, the first X-Box was a failure? Pretty sure it set the groundwork for the success of the 360.

Top Bottom