• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#SaveShenmue - The Shenmue 3 campaign

Maligna

Banned
I wish there was a kickstarter of some sort for Shenmue 3, that's something I would gladly contribute too.

If we do get an HD release of the first two I plan on buying it at least 5 times and giving it to friends. I've already done that with the All Stars Racing Transformed Ryo DLC.

cj_iwakura

The video is kind of dumb. Their hearts are in the right place, though.

May as well just put a TLDR in the OP, OP. Don't force people to watch that.

Would be classier if they included a summary of why the game is special instead of making fun of it.

Rikkun

.........isn't that flopping?

I love the game but let's face it, it did.

You have to put it in perspect. Did Super Mario 3d World and Wind Waker HD flop?

Would be classier if they included a summary of why the game is special instead of making fun of it.

I think it's really well done, it's just 4 minutes long and it's different from every other Shenmue video (they already did what you asked for, the fanbase has been doing this for 10 years)

cj_iwakura

Those kinds of videos are a dime a dozen. This is more unique. I can't think of too many others like it, besides the Mega64 video obviously.

Fair enough. I like the idea, but I'm not sure if it's going to have the right impact. Maybe if it was more about the game and less about that one guy.

_Ryo_

If Shadow of the Beast, a 25 year old Amiga title can be rebooted to be on PS4 then Shenmue can be rebooted/continued as well. Tag me as bias all you want but I'd not ever discourage such a move for any deeply popular cherished IP.

Maligna

Banned
If Shadow of the Beast, a 25 year old Amiga title can be rebooted to be on PS4 then Shenmue can be rebooted/continued as well. Tag me as bias all you want but I'd not ever discourage such a move for any deeply popular cherished IP.

You sir, are good people.

oSoLucky

Shenmue fans are either inspirational or insane, I'm still trying to figure out which. I can't ever remember fans of a series being so vocal with so few. Hopefully you guys get results at some point, just keep your expectations in check.

I didn't care much for the video. Maybe it's because I don't personally care much for the series, but it feels just like the other dozens of parody videos that I've seen over the past decade.

zainetor

Banned
If we do get an HD release of the first two I plan on buying it at least 5 times and giving it to friends. I've already done that with the All Stars Racing Transformed Ryo DLC.

rumors said that sega has this collection ready but they are not realising it.
Why sega ? :(

_Ryo_

You sir, are good people.

Thank you.

Also for those interested, Shenmue sold pretty well on the Dreamcast, it's that development and production costs were so high that in order to actually make a good profit the game had to sale two copies for every Dreamcast owner. Sega does not have a home console to lose money on anymore, and developing a game based on already developed engines would not cost as much as it did in the 90s/early 2000's. You also have to take into account that the game was nearly completed on the Sega Saturn, and Sega then turned around and completely remade the game for Dreamcast, which cost a lot of money.

Shenmue II failed on XBOX because of the inexplicably stupid decision to not port over Shenmue I, Shenmue the Movie could not accurately demonstrate the scope of the first game, which made it harder for new players to get into it.

All of these examples are what held back the franchise in the past but None of these problems exist today. (assuming they do a HD remake of the first two games.)

Yoda

Really fun vid brings back so many memories. Also to all the arm-chair game publishers in here, the game would cost a fraction of what its original project costed to produce (remember it was originally slated for Saturn then became a DC game). Not to mention at the time its tech was miles ahead of the competition.

It wouldn't be a system exclusive, could use a pre-existing game engine, the overwhelming majority of the concept work is already done, and still even after all this time has a fan base.

How does not having a TLDR force someone to watch it? If you don't wanna watch it... don't watch it? lol

Maligna

Banned
rumors said that sega has this collection ready but they are not realising it.
Why sega ? :(

Also, why no Phantasy Star Online 2 on my Vita?

All of these examples are what held back the franchise in the past but None of these problems exist today. (assuming they do a HD remake of the first two games.)

For sure, doing an HD release of the first two games before attempting to revive the series with a third is the smart thing to do.

Glass Rebel

I need Shenmue 1 & 2 HD on PC or Vita before I can join this. I have never played any of the games.

The video was pretty fun though.

cj_iwakura

The problem is Shenmue is not deeply popular. They had no way of making back the kind of money that went into those games.

I love Shenmue, but let's be realistic; they are niche. At best.

Maligna

Banned
The problem is Shenmue is not deeply popular. They had no way of making back the kind of money that went into those games.

Pretty sure it's more relevant than Shadow of the Beast. I've been heavily into gaming since 1989 and had never heard of that series until last year.

oSoLucky

I really think that Sega in its current state looks at the project with a minimal chance of profitability, and that's why they haven't touched it. There are a few thousand extremely dedicated fans of the franchise out there, but I'm not sure how many more there are than that. I think the game would be a hard sell as some might find the concept "boring", especially with no nostalgia to back it up. Though, Heavy Rain and Beyond sold over a million so who really knows, and I would imagine that tons of people look at those games as "boring".

There is a market there, and the game would depend a lot on the IGNs and Gamespots for coverage, since I doubt that Sega would invest too much into marketing.

Maligna

Banned
There is a market there, and the game would depend a lot on the IGNs and Gamespots for coverage, since I doubt that Sega would invest too much into marketing.

That is why most of this campaign is aimed at getting Sony to buy up exclusivity rights and for them to help develop and publish the game.

Rikkun

Well if they were to release an HD collection.. I guess now would be the perfect time. They could put it on every console (X360, XBONE, PSV, PS3, PS4, WiiU and PC) so to reach every potential customer.

Maybe initially DD only, 15$E£ a title, released let's say one in April and one in June.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Well if they were to release an HD collection.. I guess now would be the perfect time. They could put it on every console (X360, XBONE, PSV, PS3, PS4, WiiU and PC) so to reach every potential customer.

Maybe initially DD only, 15$E£ a title, released let's say one in April and one in June.

I would fund that kickstarter.

Spaghetti

it's a shame valve doesn't moneyhat a few passion projects for pc with their billions

i can see the ambition of shenmue being something that would work well with their ethic of pushing the frontiers of the envelope

(but ignore the part where buying up rights and making it pc exclusive is the antithesis of valve's open and available mantra, ssshhh...)

sometimes i wish i could win big on the lottery so i could bankroll the damn game myself.

Coxy

I need Shenmue 1 & 2 HD on PC or Vita before I can join this. I have never played any of the games.

The video was pretty fun though.

When Sony announces Shenmue 3 at E3 for PS4, they'll say Shenmue 1 & 2 HD will be on PSN after their conference. On PS+ for free.

It's nice to have dreams

_Ryo_

Shenmue 1 and 2 HD would be perfect. Even more so if they could somehow combine the two engines and make it one game, as originally intended.

ReBurn

Gold Member
When Sony announces Shenmue 3 at E3 for PS4, they'll say Shenmue 1 & 2 HD will be on PSN after their conference. On PS+ for free.

It's nice to have dreams

It is!

oT252Vh.jpg

Stupid or not, if they keep it up, maybe Sega will throw them/us a bone.

I wonder what Lan Di's favorite vacation spots are while Ryo's dad's body is decomposing. Hmmm...

I still don't understand how and why Shenmue HD Collection hasn't happened yet. Just freaking slap it on PSN! Is Sega seriously gonna Suikoden II these two games?

Kimppis

A production that is not in production IS NOTHING...it's not alive. It's dead. It was cancelled.

What Kickstarted franchises are you even talking about?

Shadow of the Beast, for example, that was mentioned in this thread. http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/07/kickstarter-games
Okay, that article is really old and random, but whatever, you get the point. Not to mention kickstarted games that are inspired by old games and genres, like Mighty Number 9. Sure, Megaman is not as niche as Shenmue (and even Shenmue isn't THAT unpopular, as I, and a few others have mentioned), but it has been pretty dead for a while.

This video is embarrassing.

Yeah right, the video is taking itself sooooo seriously.

And now that I think about it, it's pretty strange that there has been no Shenmue HD collection. It would make a lot of money. There's gotta be some technical problems, maybe. Many other DC games were converted to HD, even Jet Set Radio. But not the most iconic DC game and one of the bestsellers of the system and its fantastic sequel? We gotta see the HD collection sooner or later, or they are just idiots... or maybe they really don't have the source-code or something?

EDIT:

I still don't understand how and why Shenmue HD Collection hasn't happened yet. Just freaking slap it on PSN! Is Sega seriously gonna Suikoden II these two games?

Yeah, exactly this.

Terrell

Even the cheap joke at the expense of the hopeless Shenmue fan is pointless. I agree with first reply, it's time for all sides of this to just... let it go.

Castef

Banned
Quick thoughts about this.

1: it does not make sense to talk about "ShenMue 3" right now. The only way to bring back Shen Mue is starting again from the beginning. Very few people would buy Shen Mue 3 without having played the first two.

2: no one of the three big major platform holders is interested in the game. Nintendo could have chosen it for the first bunch of Wii U announcements, in order to lure more hardcore gamers. It went with Bayonetta instead. Microsoft already tried with Shen Mue 2 on Xbox. It sold veeery poorly (also, for this, see point 1...). Sony does not even bother to bring the more succesfull (and already existing...) Yakuza saga in the west. Why would them bother about financing a huge Shen Mue project when they are basically ignoring a "similar" game already available for their platforms?

3: crowdfunding it? That would be a viable way if the game would be proposed on a large set of platforms, including PC. Maybe a "Star Citizen" effect would trigger for it, who knows?

4: anyways, another Shen Mue game would not sell like hotcakes. Lots of people thinks it will: they are simply wrong. Veeeery happy to be wrong about this, of course.

That was a great video.

As for actual Shenmue, I still feel like our best bet is for Sega to release HD versions of 1 and 2 to download and see how well those sell, then maybe it could justify finally finishing the story in 3.

Castef

Banned
That was a great video.

As for actual Shenmue, I still feel like our best bet is for Sega to release HD versions of 1 and 2 to download and see how well those sell, then maybe it could justify finally finishing the story in 3.

This. They have about 170 million potential purchasers, not to count the PC audience. Why not releasing an HD porting of the game via digital delivery?

Nibel

They should at least consider releasing 1&2 as HD version for all platforms as digital download

a) The games still look pretty good despite their age; especially character models. You can buy the game for yourselves, dump it on your PC and then emulate it to see how good it looks in high definition
b) The games are already localized; 1 has even a English dub
c) People are requesting these games since the begin of the last generation
d) SEGA would gain some good reputation back
e) People could prove if there truly is a market for the third installment

I can see why Shenmue 3 isn't being developed currently, but ignoring to release the first two games as digital HD versions after releasing fucking Crazy Taxi etc. is just ignorant and dumb from SEGA

We had a rumor that said that both HD versions are actually done and that SEGA is sitting on it for whatever reason - maybe, guys, maybe

#TeamBelieve

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

I think we need this in here as well.

iGsFzh4s26oei.gif

I refuse to believe that the people demanding Shenmue 3 are just vocal minority that is too small to make the game profitable. It doesn't even have to be a long, expensive game, ffs, just give us closure.

Top Bottom