• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound delayed to 2017

TBiddy

Probably a good decision. I was very unimpressed with the footage shown. Microsoft really needs their new IP to be spot on and blockbusters.

odhiex

Probably for the best. I'm interested to see how ambitious this tittle going to be. Judging by their other tittle, Nier: Automata (I know, it's a different team) is closer to Bayonetta's and MG Rising's styles compare to Scalebound.

Scalebound is like the Platinum takes on modern open-world RPG. Looking at the pre-Alpha footage, it seems like high framerates and fast paced actions were not their priorities here.

Cool, make this better. Take your time. And maybe get recored.
rrv04vq.gif

Wow, a year?
It was already Q4 so.... Prob a few months.

Markoman

OK Platinum, now you have one year to come up with a new look for the protagonist.
Hell, I would rather play as an old, fat, bold and hairy dude (err, why not) than this hipster-brat.

I really hope that the character design was suggested by MS for broader western appeal -otherwise I'm starting to doubt in PG's abilities.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Kotaku are like "wanna blacklist us, huh?

Ubi want AC3 sales again, obviously they think that a year off will be at least more than double than they've been getting off of the annuals.

I like this. Looking forward to scaling the Sphynx.

Coda

Maybe I'll win an Xbox One through a Mountain Dew promotion or something, probably the only way I'll actually get to play this game. I still don't feel like buying an Xbox One just for this and KI even if it becomes cheaper by the time this releases, I hate having clutter I don't need.

Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, Ratchet and Clank, Ni No Kuni 2, Ace Combat 7, Nier 2, SF V, GT sport, Detroit. Persona 5, dreams, The last Guardian, Ni-Oh. Even if 4-5 were delayed Sony would still have better line-up than MS.
Are NNK2 and Detroit supposed to be 2016 games? :S

Whompa02

Surprised considering it seemed remotely playable during the demo. Maybe they're adding some more content to it? Changing the design a bit? Seemed pretty straight forward/simplistic from the bit that was shown.

nded

but in that scenario everything would still be uncertain, you know.

I guess inasmuch as everything in life is uncertain? It's one thing to let people know a game has begun development and quite another to show trailers and marketing materials more than a year before the game's release.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's just the beginning of 2016, and you are already delaying until 2017, just shows they already knew when they announced and showed it last year, it was not going to make 2016.

Held off the announcement until after the holiday rush and mindset. Kinda gives more weight to those who were saying MSFT has been announcing some games way too early to fit slots at the tradeshows.

I prefer the take your time as long as it makes it more polished of an experience.

Crackdown 2017 the earliest. ;)

It's just the beginning of 2016, and you are already delaying until 2017, just shows they already knew when they announced and showed it last year, it was not going to make 2016.

Held off the announcement until after the holiday rush and mindset. Kinda gives more weight to those who were saying MSFT has been announcing some games way too early.

Or, the teams met back together after Christmas break at the start of a new quarter and realized they wouldn't be able to meet their set deadlines and meet quality expectations.

Or, the teams met back together after Christmas and realized a critical part of the game wasn't working right and they wanted to have some time to re-work it.

Or, Microsoft deliberately deceived everyone because they are an evil, money-hungry, greedy corporation, and this was their plan the whole time.

One of those is the easy answer. The others actually require some thought and perspective.

Breads

Banned
So many people "called it".

Really?

Because this is what Platinum is known for. Right? (I'm actually asking)

Genio88

I think with Quantum Break, Crackdown 3 and Gears 4 Xbox One hasn't the need of other AAA exclusives for this year, even if i would like to play Scalebound as soon as possible the delay is really for the best, the last demo they showed had a very poor frame rate

I guess inasmuch as everything in life is uncertain? It's one thing to let people know a game has begun development and quite another to show trailers and marketing materials more than a year before the game's release.
well in this case of life what i'm saying is that once a game is announced, it is publicly and officially known to exist. there's no uncertainties like there are with rumors.

wapplew

Held off the announcement until after the holiday rush and mindset. Kinda gives more weight to those who were saying MSFT has been announcing some games way too early to fit slots at the tradeshows.

I prefer the take your time as long as it makes it more polished of an experience.

Crackdown 2017 the earliest. ;)

Everyone did that for their trade shows, you need atleast two or three big titles to make headline per show, or else you fans would be disappointed for a weak show.
MS had 2 big shows per year, so around 6 big titles to announce, you really think any publisher able to release that many big hit per year?

Vitacat

OK Platinum, now you have one year to come up with a new look for the protagonist.
Hell, I would rather play as an old, fat, bold and hairy dude (err, why not) than this hipster-brat.

I really hope that the character design was suggested by MS for broader western appeal -otherwise I'm starting to doubt in PG's abilities.

I thought the protag was kinda cool. "Maybe you should hide behind me," he says as he puts on his headphones and the music starts as the fights begins.

It was obviously copying Devil May Cry, with a tiny bit of The World Ends With You perhaps. I kinda liked it.

Now, I would love to see choices for protag besides this guy. Someone older, someone female etc. But I don't think that will happen.

Crzy1

Was the one game I would have bought an Xbox One for in the coming year. Guess I'll be skipping the platform for another year.

Zeta Oni

found this too

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

hhngg WANT

theres a bunch of tidbits of stuff like that and other info thats just floating all about and you need to go to like 5 or 6 different websites to find some of it.

asked it a few pages back but i really think a comprehensive overview of what we know so far would be a good idea for a thread.

Strootman

theres a bunch of tidbits of stuff like that and other info thats just floating all about and you need to go to like 5 or 6 different websites to find some of it.

asked it a few pages back but i really think a comprehensive overview of what we know so far would be a good idea for a thread.

I think so far we have the gamescom presentation and the IGN first stuff, plus this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHFFK3BXuBo

Zeta Oni

I think so far we have the gamescom presentation and the IGN first stuff, plus this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHFFK3BXuBo

Yeah but the IGN First stuff is separated into like 5 or 6 different videos I'm pretty sure very few people bothered to check in throughout the month of August to view.

I'd wager most people have seen the original gameplay reveal, the IGN extended version maybe, and the CGI trailer it was announced with.

Edit: not to mention the various website interviews

nded

well in this case of life what i'm saying is that once a game is announced, it is publicly and officially known to exist. there's no uncertainties like there are with rumors.

Yes? I don't get your point. Do you think it's better to announce a game two years before its projected release (after which it might enter game dev hell anyway like Phantom Dust) than waiting until development is further along and the release date is closer and more assured?

It's not really a matter of "uncertainty" for me anyway. I'd have been perfectly happy not hearing a damn thing about Duke Nukem Forever during the 14 years between its announcement and release.

Zeta Oni

There is this 12 minute video from Fan Fest in Japan last September which is pretty awesome

Wouldent happen to have a link to that, would you?

Decided I'm just gonna take some spare time and make a thread for the game going over all we know so far like that "The Division" thread, probably have it done by tonight or tomorrow.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Or, the teams met back together after Christmas break at the start of a new quarter and realized they wouldn't be able to meet their set deadlines and meet quality expectations.

Or, the teams met back together after Christmas and realized a critical part of the game wasn't working right and they wanted to have some time to re-work it.

Or, Microsoft deliberately deceived everyone because they are an evil, money-hungry, greedy corporation, and this was their plan the whole time.

One of those is the easy answer. The others actually require some thought and perspective.

Everyone did that for their trade shows, you need atleast two or three big titles to make headline per show, or else you fans would be disappointed for a weak show.
MS had 2 big shows per year, so around 6 big titles to announce, you really think any publisher able to release that many big hit per year?

I was being a smartass, lol.

I am sure the game will be 100% better with the polish Platinum will put into it. I just want some juicy dragon action!

Wouldent happen to have a link to that, would you?

Decided I'm just gonna take some spare time and make a thread for the game going over all we know so far like that "The Division" thread, probably have it done by tonight or tomorrow.

My bad, I completely forgot to paste the link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3z2zf5ydtM

Its of the same area but linked the start of the gameplay at Gamescom to the end of the trailer with co-op added

The game is much better off releasing Q1/Q2 of next year anyway. If it had released holiday of this year, it would have bombed even harder than Platinum games normally do. And we don't need that happening.

At least now it (hopefully) gives the game space so it won't be eclipsed by a ton of blockbusters.

Yes? I don't get your point. Do you think it's better to announce a game two years before its projected release (after which it might enter game dev hell anyway like Phantom Dust) than waiting until development is further along and the release date is closer and more assured?

It's not really a matter of "uncertainty" for me anyway. I'd have been perfectly happy not hearing a damn thing about Duke Nukem Forever during the 14 years between its announcement and release.
in your latter proposed question, the hypothetical game already exists, it's just not publicly announced, so there shouldn't be harm in announcing it two years before its projected release, if the devs determine it'll take two years.

Top Bottom