• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Selling and Trading in your PS4 for a PS4 Pro

El-Suave

I have the white Destiny PS4 and I won't be trading that in. Selling my launch unit that I gave to my niece and nephew and handing them the Destiny version would be an option, but replacing the 2TB HDD's is too much of a hassle. I'm not that keen on Pro yet.

My issue is that I have a 2TB Hard drive in my PS4. If I could buy a Pro and trade in my old one without losing my 2TB drive I might do it

But I don't know how I could do that...

III-V

Considering the Pro will not be out until second week of November, I am cancelling my Amazon trade in.

Will just trade when the time comes.

On the one hand if I could sell my xbone and PS4 and get the ps4k at a decent price I'd do it. Solely because in theory I'd be spending maybe 200-250 for it.

On the other hand I was severely underwhelmed over the presentation, and the improvements the multiplat games I care about could get in theory I should be able to play better on a PC.

If I had a 4k tv this'd be easier, but as of right now it seems like a no.

farisr

I don't know if it's a good idea to sell or trade towards the Slim, use it for a couple months, then get the Pro. I'm confused.
If you have a PS4 in your posession right now, yeah, that's not a good idea at all to sell it towards the slim, and then sell the slim later for the Pro.

The slim has the same exact features than your PS4. And also, your PS4 is going to be hard to find by the time the Pro comes out. It may actually sell for more around that time than right now if stores have completely sold off their stocks. It, at the very least, is still going to have a better resale value than the slim.

majik13

anyone think Amazon will drop the PS4 trade in price the closer we get to release? I want to sell or trade in, but also want to do it as close to release as possible.

majik13

If anything they're not ready to announce a trade up program

huh? they are currently giving $165 for an OG PS4. just wondering if that trade in value will decrease anytime soon. If there is much precedence for that in the past or not.

I also asked in another thread if Amazon ever does special trade in/trade up deals towards specific products, but never got an answer. So have they done that before? I dont ever recall so.

I mean 165 is better than GS trade up offer of 125. So not sure if Amazon will feel the need to offer a better deal or not.

cchum

Posted in the other thread, but:
Ok GAF:

Sell my ps4 with one TB SSHD 5400 rpm
Choices:
Keep it in for resale value and keep pro hd
Keep it in for resale value and upgrade pro hd
Put it in pro and stock pro drive in stock ps4

If you have a PS4 in your posession right now, yeah, that's not a good idea at all to sell it towards the slim, and then sell the slim later for the Pro.

The slim has the same exact features than your PS4. And also, your PS4 is going to be hard to find by the time the Pro comes out. It may actually sell for more around that time than right now if stores have completely sold off their stocks. It, at the very least, is still going to have a better resale value than the slim.

Really? Why would you say that?

TriAceJP

I would, but I got this Grand Kingdom copy sitting here and have no other means to play it.

I can only imagine the fire sale Craigslist/eBay/GameStop will have on sale/trade in prices right before the Pro drops. I would imagine grabbing a second hand PS4 for $150 wouldn't be too difficult to come by.

My PS4 still has PT on it, so I imagine I can get a bit more for it.

Oh wow, I didn't even consider this. I guess I am keeping my original PS4 come the launch of the Pro.

Jake2by4

My issue is that I have a 2TB Hard drive in my PS4. If I could buy a Pro and trade in my old one without losing my 2TB drive I might do it

I have my old ps4 HDD gonna take my 2TB out put back the old one and trade it in

sephi22

I'm going to backup PT and saves onto an external drive, take out my 2TB drive, reformat it, then reformat the old PS4 500 GB drive, put it back in the console, restore the console to factory settings, then put the formatted 2TB one in the Pro and use the backup to restore saves and PT, then redownload everything.

Yes, it's a pain, but it's possible

Minamu

Assuming these deals will be widespread across the globe, what's the procedure for cleaning out your HDD and accounts so you can transfer everything smoothly to the new console without getting locked out somehow? I've got PS+. Is it easy to move my main account from one console to another without anything getting screwed up in the process?

Sell it on Craigslist. Not sure what you can get now (seeing lots of listing in my area around $250-300 with extras) . Obviously you're going to get less. But I sold mine a few weeks ago for $280 + $40 for my extra controller (don't worry I still have a 20th anniversary controller as an extra for the pro).

I'm not using my ps4 until Final Fantasy XV comes out so whats my best course of action? Sell now myself? Wait for trade in deals? Sell later?

dealer-

If slim is really quieter than current PS4 then selling price of OG PS4 will plummet quickly I guess..

I doubt it will be that much quieter to make a difference tbh. I don't think the average gamer buying a PS4 will care about dB level.

These trade in deals are awful, I'm not trading my PS4 in because I paid $400 for it and it still works. I'll put it in my office or bedroom or something.

My friend traded in his PS4 and his Xbox One, and still needed to trade in several games to cover the cost of the PS4 Pro. I couldn't believe he was willing to get shafted and throw away so much money.

Wil348

I'm not entirely sure what is going on. Would there be much point in me getting this if I don't have a 4K TV or will only some games have a better 1080p mode?

In australia, the Trade in deal that ive seen so far is From $549 to $399 when you trade your ps4 + a game.

Sucks. Probaly will do it with some JP game i got and then buy the english copy Kappa

ogbg

When you installed the 2TB HD did you throw out the original HD or something? Otherwise just put the original one back in and keep the 2TB one.

I'm not entirely sure what is going on. Would there be much point in me getting this if I don't have a 4K TV or will only some games have a better 1080p mode?

I too am wondering this. So far, lots of speculation but has any media outlet actually seen one on a 1080p screen and been able to tell the improvements difference?

Falchion

I just check my area's Craigslist, it looks like everyone is flooding the market with their PS4's and listing them for like $120. Not a chance I'd do that.

As someone who's looking to pay 200 or less for a vanilla model, these horrible trade deals are great news for me (even the N3DS had better if I recall). Time to hit up craigslist.

Courage

As someone who's looking to pay 200 or less for a vanilla model, these horrible trade deals are great news for me (even the N3DS had better if I recall). Time to hit up craigslist.

Check eBay as well, got a white one for 180 with a broken disc drive.

SaganIsGOAT

Sold my Destiny Taken king PS4 for $350 on Craigslist. Just bummed the pro doesn't launch until November because destiny is right around the corner :(

ced

I'm going to try and sell mine for $200 with 2 controllers in November, hopefully the market won't be saturated with them.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Can't even consider until I safely transfer my (digital-only) library to the Pro, which might not happen until both new and old consoles are plugged into my TV and Pikmin are moving files over.

How do you do a system migration when it comes to trading in old consoles for the newer model? Don't have any experience with this myself.

You can back your Ps4 up to an external drive through the usb and restore on the PS4 Pro, assuming the settings are there. I think they also said there will be tools and ways to migrate your information.

Deku Tree

I need to play Destiny RoI day 1 so I'm just gonna take the hit on November 10 for w/e I can get for my OG PS4 at Best Buy.

Top Bottom