• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor DF Face-Off

camac002

I wonder what the unlocked frame rates of the consoles would be, seeing as how they are rock solid 30 fps even with many orcs on screen.

Sad times when stable 30fps suddenly is considered "amazing". Your expectations regarding the experience speaks for itself. The industry really butchered everything regarding framerate.

Believe it or not, 30fps isn't that big of a deal for some people.

For this game, it seems impressive to some (haven't played it yet) that the game's engine can handle 15+ orcs on-screen without any drops and holding a steady 30fps. I don't see why there's any reason to poo-poo these people and their enjoyment, especially since you can always just get your 60fps on PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Interesting that they barely mention the 60fps advantage for PC. You know, the biggest differentiator between the 3 versions of the game.
There's no reason to hammer it over the head when it's an obvious differentiator. Of course, on the PC, whether you can hit 60 fps or not is going to vary per machine. Achieving a rock solid 60 fps with this game does take some hardware muscle.

Sad times when stable 30fps suddenly is considered "amazing". Your expectations regarding the experience speaks for itself. The industry really butchered everything regarding framerate.
I know what you mean but, when talking about a sandbox game, it's still a huge improvement over last generation. Right out of the gate last gen open world games were running at sub-30 fps with loads of tearing on consoles. The fact that the sandbox games released thus far across the new consoles have delivered rock solid frame-rates makes a HUGE difference.

It's not like you were going to buy a console version of these games anyways...

They didn't test hard enough. Camera motion blur works on PC, it also adds an edge sampling effect.
Wait, so if the effect doesn't work across a variety of PCs with different graphics cards, they didn't test it enough? Whether you see it or not clearly the effect has problems with some configurations. Other people have already reported this issue before.

R1CHO

There's no reason to hammer it over the head when it's an obvious differentiator. Of course, on the PC, whether you can hit 60 fps or not is going to vary per machine. Achieving a rock solid 60 fps with this game does take some hardware muscle.

Yes, and it's totally clear from the article that the pc is not locked to 30.

Man, that meltdown thread has been redeemed. Really hope all the people complaining about the requirements of SoM went and bought the PS4 version for that 60fps that it's supposed to have since the actual required specs for SoM ended up being pretty fair.

Man

Interesting that they barely mention the 60fps advantage for PC. You know, the biggest differentiator between the 3 versions of the game.
Are we to base the PC performance on the average PC in homes or by the average PC of Steam users? Neither are above PS4 specs.
You would to probably find the average stationary-only PCs among Steam users to out-spec the PS4. Maybe.

dark10x

Man, that meltdown thread has been redeemed. Really hope all the people complaining about the requirements of SoM went and bought the PS4 version for that 60fps that it's supposed to have since the actual required specs for SoM ended up being pretty fair.
The PS4 version is great, though, and you can actually own it on a real disc (which is the main reason I buy console games at all, really).

derExperte

The PS4 version is great, though, and you can actually own it on a real disc (which is the main reason I buy console games at all, really).

Yeah but some announced that they're going PS4 just based on the system requirements while owning perfectly fine PCs.

dark10x

Yeah but some announced that they're going PS4 just based on the system requirements while owning perfectly fine PCs.
That's silly reasoning, of course, but there are pros and cons to owning the different versions for sure.

It definitely seems like the game can look and run best on the PC, as expected, but the console version is still very solid.

Kezen

Banned
Have they said anything about no AA on PC ? What an unfathomable oversight.
Temporal SMAA would have been nice.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

The amount of salt in that thread was amazing

Thrakier

Believe it or not, 30fps isn't that big of a deal for some people.

For this game, it seems impressive to some (haven't played it yet) that the game's engine can handle 15+ orcs on-screen without any drops and holding a steady 30fps. I don't see why there's any reason to poo-poo these people and their enjoyment, especially since you can always just get your 60fps on PC.

It's not about "poo-poo"ing on people, it's about certain standards which obviously were torn apart by the marketing machinery the last few years. Stating that "locked 30FPS is an amazing achievement" is like saying "wow what a great soccer team, they got 11 players on the pitch!".

wazoo

Are we to base the PC performance on the average PC in homes or by the average PC of Steam users? Neither are above PS4 specs.
You would to probably find the average stationary-only PCs among Steam users to out-spec the PS4. Maybe.

PC does not exist as a fixed platform. Still, the average PC owner does not read eurogamer. A PC gamer reading a DF face off is most likely not behind the curve.

derExperte

That's silly reasoning, of course, but there are pros and cons to owning the different versions for sure.

It definitely seems like the game can look and run best on the PC, as expected, but the console version is still very solid.

Sure, sure, other than the blurryness, potentially lower framerates and some slightly lowered detail settings there aren't many differences to talk about. Which sounds sarcastic but it's not meant to be, no version will give you a bad experience (okay, the X1 version looks reaaaaly blurry, lowered res + possibly FXAA would be a bit much for me).

RPGam3r

30fps is fine for me, and it's not because of what we've been marketed. I really couldn't care less in a non-competitive game that it runs at 30fps rather than 60fps. I don't know why this is hard for many people to understand, a lot of gamers just don't care as much as you do.

Who cares about the average PCs. There are a lot more people with mid-range graphics cards that can run this game at 1080p 60fps than people who own either XB1s or PS4s. Mentioning that a 670 and can easily hit 60fps at PS4 settings isn't going to take anything away from the article and would actually be informing a lot of people.

Hey Bungie, this is how you do console versions of your game. No one expected the world of you on the PS4 version, but leaving every setting absolutely identical is a little ridiculous.

This Shadow of Mordor face-off was so nice to read because it sounds like they did everything right. Solid performance across the board, v-sync engaged, with effects tuned right for each platform to keep it that way. PS4's power advantage isn't ignored, as it should be. Every developer should read this and use it as a template for how to do a cross platform game.

Hey Bungie, this is how you do console versions of your game. No one expected the world of you on the PS4 version, but leaving every setting absolutely identical is a little ridiculous.

This Shadow of Mordor face-off was so nice to read because it sounds like they did everything right. Solid performance across the board, v-sync engaged, with effects tuned right for each platform to keep it that way. PS4's power advantage isn't ignored, as it should be. Every developer should read this and use it as a template for how to do a cross platform game.
Don't agree with a lot of the things you post, but you have my backing for this 100%.

Thrakier

30fps is fine for me, and it's not because of what we've been marketed. I really couldn't care less in a non-competitive game that it runs at 30fps rather than 60fps. I don't know why this is hard for many people to understand, a lot of gamers just don't care as much as you do.

So how many 60FPS games did you play the last decade? And I do not talk about the 30+ console games which are sold as "60FPS" by marketing and, that's hilarious, the gaming press. You can't care about something you do not know.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Being a console only gamer, coming to a gen of consistent 30 or higher frame rates in every game with 1080p IQ that isnt sub HD vaseline displayed across the screen is a real eye opener for me how long we were actually stuck in the 7th gen putting up with those cuts to fidelity.

I think the texture resolution increase is the thing that really sticks out the most. Goodbye 512MB chains!

So how many 60FPS games did you play the last decade? And I do not talk about the 30+ console games which are sold as "60FPS" by marketing and, that's hilarious, the gaming press. You can't care about something you do not know.

Rather than accusing him of having low standards, can we not make the argument that yours are just too high?

Missing/less dense vegetation on X1? Now that's a real difference that I will definitely notice. I best be getting a PS4 soon. I hope the wifey don't notice.

sleepykyo

PC does not exist as a fixed platform. Still, the average PC owner does not read eurogamer. A PC gamer reading a DF face off is most likely not behind the curve.

Why would a pc gamer that is ahead of the curve need to read a DF face off to begin with? It is 99.999999 ...% certain that the pc version would be better and a 100% post mods.

Lol, how long have you been gaming? Because I remember the times where games would play at 15-20fps...

Depending on your console. Some of them still do. :p

Seriously though, I remember in the early 2000's customising the shit out of my PC settings just so I could play Doom 3 at 15-20 fps.

teokrazia

Played some hours on PS4 after PC, and among other things I noticed that LOD is more agressive.
Also, the game looked clearly running@30FPS and the controls felt clearly 'v-synced', so I was wondering WTF people were talking about the 60 FPS matter.
Is still a great experience and a good looking game, BTW.

dark10x

You can also own it on a real disc on PC too.
It's just a Steam install disc, yes? Useless without being connected. That's the point in owning a physical copy. The other versions can function just fine without a connection.

Of course, if you don't give a shit about collecting or owning your games, then it's a non-issue. I do care about that stuff.

Weird at that solid lock 30fps for PS4, from the way people were talking about that version, I thought it was a really smooth unlocked framerate in the forty-fiftys with little jutter. Could've just let those rumors fuel my comprehension of those impressions though.

Statistically he might not be wrong.

We need to sum up the Steam survey to see what % of users can 1080/60 Mordor.

It depends: do you mean all settings on ultra? Very low I would hazard a guess.

But the great thing about PC gaming is the scalability of it. If you are okay with 30fps then you can crank up everything to ultra. But perhaps you prefer a smoother 60fps (or more) experience and will sacrifice other effects to obtain that. I'd say a lot of players are enjoying 1080/60 by doing this.

It is never as problematic as it is made out to be (well for most games) to find a happy medium. If you spend 30 minutes-or-so playing with options then you are set.

The problem with a console is the developers make you play to their settings.

On the contrary, the article doesn't recommend running the game with high (ps4 quality) textures on a gtx 760 with 2gb of vram if the intended target frame rate is 60fps.

I am getting 60fps most of the time using high/ultra settings (inc tessellation, DOF) and high textures on my 2GB 670.

Mentioning that a 670 and can easily hit 60fps at PS4 settings isn't going to take anything away from the article and would actually be informing a lot of people.

On the contrary, the article doesn't recommend running the game with high (ps4 quality) textures on a gtx 760 with 2gb of vram if the intended target frame rate is 60fps.

You can try pushing your luck by pushing texture detail higher - for example, we tried running high quality textures on a 2GB GTX 760 working in combination with the 30fps lock option. This may give your hardware time to swap in the textures in and out of GDDR5 without too much stutter, but results could vary - as we found when running ultra textures on the 3GB GTX 780 Ti. Our recommendation would be to target 60fps if you can, and take the hit to texture quality by following Monolith's recommendations on texture settings.

Durante

It's just a Steam install disc, yes? Useless without being connected. That's the point in owning a physical copy. The other versions can function just fine without a connection.

Of course, if you don't give a shit about collecting or owning your games, then it's a non-issue. I do care about that stuff.
I would never feel that I own a game which is encrypted to hell and back in order to only run on one particular, also heavily encrypted, hardware/software platform. Compared to one which I can modify and still run on a very different HW/SW stack at some point in the future.

But that's a topic for a different thread, I don't know how it even came up here.

You can use it without being connected after installation. So yes, it can function just fine without connection.
Also, I own my games, even in digital version.
But we're being off-topic here.

Some steam games don't actually require steam to run. Scribblenauts unlimited for example.

wazoo

Why would a pc gamer that is ahead of the curve need to read a DF face off to begin with? It is 99.999999 ...% certain that the pc version would be better and a 100% post mods.

There is a position between "behind the curve" and "ahead of the curve". There are plenty of PC gamers with competent cards, not amazing/just out/400$ cards, but powerful enough to care about DF face offs.

Randam

I'm pretty impressed with DFs analysis this time around.

This is now one of the few games where we know pretty exactly for each console the equivalent PC settings used:
Code:
	     |    PS4 |    XB1
Resolution   |   1080 |    900
Vegetation   | medium |    low 
Textures     |   high |   high
LOD distance | medium | medium
Shadows      |   high | medium
AO           |   high |   high
With the highest PC option being ultra for most of those. It would be interesting to do benchmarks at PS4 and XB1 equivalent settings.

Here are some crops:

LOD
http://abload.de/img/lod_mediumevj8f.png

Textures & Shadow Resolution
http://abload.de/img/textures_shadowsmwkgu.png

Vegetation Density
http://abload.de/img/vegetation56j0w.png
that is the Pc version maxed out with ultra textures?

Top Bottom