• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

Performance-wise they might be inferior but price/performance ratio AMD will probably be better again, right? That ratio is a lot more important to me than pure performance. I'll probably upgrade around 3Q 2015.

It depends on the price points and timing. For example Nvidias new cards blow the AMD counterparts out of the water in price performance. But if you are looking at something less expensive than a GTX 970 you may still be well off with an AMD card. That is, until a GTX 960 appears and that it likely is the better choice.

I'd favor Nvidia.

7990 6GB would be better choice after during some research

Don't. First of all it is a dual-GPU card, which has its own set of problems (although it gets better). It will be much louder, will consume more power, will be expensive, especially when a 980 will have better performance for a few hundred dollars less. You are off with a worse ecosystem.

And all of that because you can't get the highest texture settings in a game. You likely won't even notice that much of a difference. If you really really want to have more VRAM, just wait for 8 GB versions of the current NVidia offering. If you really really want more VRAM RIGHT NOW. Well fine, I can't stop you.

MKAllDay

For years now I have opted for the PC version over console whenever the option existed. I think this game might be the first in a while where I go with the console option. These requirements just make me feel like this will be a poorly optimized PC port.

Can someone convince me to buy this for PC instead of PS4?

7990 6GB would be better choice after during some research
nope
7990 is a dual gpu card meaning that 6GB is split between the 2 chips I believe. Effectively 3GB, unless I'm wrong.

Yep.

For years now I have opted for the PC version over console whenever the option existed. I think this game might be the first in a while where I go with the console option. These requirements just make me feel like this will be a poorly optimized PC port.

The fact that console games pretty much run at medium settings with bad LODs and filtering at 30fps. What is your GPU and CPU? That helps more. Just because this game offers an ultra quality that perhaps requires 6GB of VRAM does not mean the console versions are anywhere near that. It infact means the opposite most likely in some way.

Until benchmarks come out it is impossible to say but I would hazard a guess that other than textures (what do the consoles textures equate to?) you would be able to play it to a better standard with other effects taken into account as long as you have a competent enough GPU.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
7990 is a dual gpu card meaning that 6GB is split between the 2 chips I believe. Effectively 3GB, unless I'm wrong.

Yeah, dual-GPU cards are basically like hard drives: the amount advertised on the box isn't exactly what you're getting (i.e. similar to how a 2TB HDD doesn't give you 2TB of usable space, a 6GB dual-GPU card doesn't give you 6GB of addressable VRAM).

UnrealEck

The textures where you need to more than 4GB of VRAM for are likely not even showcases in the screenshots out there now.

Okay mate that's what I was just saying though.
The screenshot I posted for example is the sort of quality I'm thinking would be reasonable to expect from a 2GB card, maybe 3GB.
I'm sure the texture pack will have much better detail and I'm not saying I think it's reasonable to expect a 2GB card to accomodate those. Or even a 3GB card.

So the highest VRAM card(single core) is the 280X?

for AMD or what do you mean?

Highest VRAM card is the TItan, 780 6gb version, or titan black. The 700 series on average has 2 gb with chances at 4 and the 900 series is all currently 4gb.
Highest AMD would be the 290 and 290x with 4GB.

If AMD goes with HBM it's not likely they'll release any cards with more than 4GB VRAM.

Highest VRAM card is the TItan, 780 6gb version, or titan black. The 700 series on average has 2 gb with chances at 4 and the 900 series is all currently 4gb.

There was a limited run of 290Xs with 8GB.

SparkTR

The IGN reviewer mentions the port seemed well done (apart from menus). If this is the reason why you're going for the PS4, it's a stupid reason, you'd essentially be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. Even running on medium/high will most likely trump the console versions.

Kinthalis

Banned

No. Or at least you shouldn't be convinced by anyone without evidence.

It's possible that it will be a bad port. It's also possible that it will run and look better than the console version.

WAIT for actual performance benchmarks and impresisons of the PC version of the game. THEN decide.

You don't have to buy the game now.

Cyriades

Isn't the Titan a dual GPU?

MKAllDay

nope

Yep.

The fact that console games pretty much run at medium settings with bad LODs and filtering at 30fps. What is your GPU and CPU? That helps more. Just because this game offers an ultra quality that perhaps requires 6GB of VRAM does not mean the console versions are anywhere near that. It infact means the opposite most likely in some way.

GTX 680 2GB and i5-2400.

FoneBone

No, you can't look at a picture and think: "These graphics look like X VRAM."

There are many aspects of graphics that have a significantly lesser impact on VRAM. Texture quality, a very significant one is not particularly well-showcased in that screenshot.

this looks poorly optimized

i can tell from some of the pixels

It depends on the price points and timing. For example Nvidias new cards blow the AMD counterparts out of the water in price performance. But if you are looking at something less expensive than a GTX 970 you may still be well off with an AMD card. That is, until a GTX 960 appears and that it likely is the better choice.

I'd favor Nvidia.
Fuck Nvidia! I'm kidding but seriously I like the Raptr client, I like AMD Evolved, I've never had an AMD card breakdown or anything and I've put them through hell. I'm sure they'll deliver something for me in '15.

Yep.

And to think that I bought my 2GB 670 with "Future-Proofing" in mind.

FUCK.
Are you in the States? See if you can sell it on Craigslist or something. I think CL is worldwide anyway. Then buy that 4gig 900 series for $300. Actually it might be better to just wait till 2015 and get a 6-8gb card.

GTX 680 2GB and i5-2400.

Your CPU and GPU are a good deal more powerful than the PS4. Why not just wait till the game comes out and people report what the settings do and how they affect performance? In anycase, you will have a higher performance baseline than the ps4 and in worst case, you have to contend with slightly worse textures.

AU Tiger

Has anyone here posted side by side screenshots of the same scene using both high and ultra textures?

I ask because when Grid Autosport was released, they had the extra 4k texture download pack which showed minuscule differences.

mnannola

Before everyone starts dropping $500+ bucks on a new videocard for this game, compare screenshots of Ultra and High and see if it's worth it.

Qassim

MalDo makes a great point. I'm not going to fall on either side in regards to how effective the use of memory is in this particular game.

However I still don't like some of the comments in this thread that suggest their new high end cards should be able to run it at "Ultra". There is no standardised "Ultra" spec and I don't think there should be, in principle I'm completely fine with settings that aren't even usable by any available GPU (these are, we have 6GB NVIDIA and AMD cards) at the time of release.

I hope I'm misunderstanding people when they make these comments, because it seems to be a common attitude, that people believe their cards should be able to run at this completely arbitrary "ultra" or "max" spec language that games often follow. People seem to be angry at the idea a game could require 6GB of VRAM for a particular setting, and that seems odd to me. As I said, this is all independent and separate from how the use of these resources is justified in this game.

Isn't the Titan a dual GPU?

No

The Titan Z is a dual GPU, but the Titan and Titan Black are single GPU cards.

Red Comet

Did not think that my 3GB 780 Ti's would meet their match so soon. I just hope I can pull off another year or so withought running into VRAM problems in most games.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any benchmarks for the game yet?

I'd think, we are jumping on the 6GB bandwagon discussion too soon without seeing how the game runs at high and medium texture settings.

GTX980 with 4GB if that ain't fast enough at high texture settings, it'll be an end to all 6GB discussions as we know it.

legacyzero

Banned
Are you in the States? See if you can sell it on Craigslist or something. I think CL is worldwide anyway. Then buy that 4gig 900 series for $300. Actually it might be better to just wait till 2015 and get a 6-8gb card.

Yeah. And I've had this 670 for about two years. It's been damn good.

I'm also considering upgrading my 3570k. Or at least pushing it a bit harder. I'm not currently OCing anything, and it runs like a champ.

Love this little guy, though :( www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423

MKAllDay

Your CPU and GPU are a good deal more powerful than the PS4. Why not just wait till the game comes out and people report what the settings do and how they affect performance? In anycase, you will have a higher performance baseline than the ps4 and in worst case, you have to contend with slightly worse textures.

Oh come on now. You're fine.

Ok sorry for overreacting! See this is why I asked GAF to talk me out of buying on consoles. I will probably take the wait and see approach but more than likely I will buy for PC after all.

Skyzard

Banned
I'll want to see (a) screenshot comparisons of High vs. Ultra and (b) benchmarks at High and Ultra.

I suspect that High and Ultra textures will look similar to each other in the eyes of most of us. Ultra's clearly meant for enthusiasts and for future proofing. Shadow of Mordor should still look very good on High, likely better than PS4.

Some of you need to chill. Your shiny new GTX 970 isn't obsolete.

Unless you need to run a resolution higher than 1080p, and you play on medium!

cripterion

More open world and higher resolution textures = high VRAM requirements. There were already end of generation games that were easily hitting the cap. I'm far from a genius on the top, but it was obvious that VRAM requirements were going to double or triple.

Smart move. Anyone kicking themselves over this should've seen it coming rather than convincing themselves that 2-4 gigs was going to max out next-gen games. It's just going to keep going down this road. Can't wait to see what PC performance and IQ looks like a couple of years from now. When is the whole "unified memory" thing happening again?

I can run textures on Skyrim that look as good if not better than what we've seen out of these "next gen games" on 4GB cards. Why does this game require 6GB is beyond me.
Watch Dogs wasn't mindblowing good to require 3GB for ultra, hell the difference wasn't that big compared to high settings.

I know this is an open world game but c'mon. It barely looks better than The Witcher 2. Let's not forget the game is running on consoles.

Sanjay

Did this thread really turn into a 15 page thread about people bitching about their old video cards becoming obsolete?

Come on PC guys, act like you've been there before.

When you mean OLD do you mean like one week old cards like the GTX 980/970 right?

Guys remember when Call of Duty: Ghosts for PC will NOT run unless you meet the mandatory 6GB minimum requirement but they patched that shit out.

Better to get it on Console and play it with Ultra resolution because of the well good ram capabilities of the PS4.

Wray

No? What is that supposed to mean? Don't insult me because I called you out on your ignorant comment. You suggested that people complaining about the VRAM requirement have old cards, when the reality is that some people who have brand new cards are also amongst those complaining because they also don't have the necessary memory.

I'm going to assume you are lying and it is not your first video card if you don't understand the concept of future proofing. When has this NOT happened with PC gaming?

Quake
Quake 3
Crysis

Every "generation" this happens.

Cyriades

Did not think that my 3GB 780 Ti's would meet their match so soon. I just hope I can pull off another year or so withought running into VRAM problems in most games.

We're in the same boat.. we both have 780ti. The best case for us is to go down one notch to the 780 6GB but how much of a performance drop would that be?

Heh, my other PC (before my new PC which has a 770 in it at the moment), has a Gainward 580 Phantom with 3GB VRAM. Think I'll try running the game on that as well as the 770 and see how they compare. Not sure what I'll be doing around December, getting a new GPU or a PS4.

Qassim

When you mean OLD do you mean like one week old cards like the GTX 980/970 right?

Guys remember when Call of Duty: Ghosts for PC will NOT run unless you meet the mandatory 6GB minimum requirement but they patched that shit out.

Minimum requirements are not the same as an optional top spec option.

We're in the same boat.. we both have 780ti. The best case for is to go down one notch to the 780 6GB but how much of a performance drop would that be?

Is it so necessary for you to have to play with the Ultra textures? We don't know how much better the visual payoff is and if it is worth it.

Skyzard

Banned
We're in the same boat.. we both have 780ti. The best case for is to go down one notch to the 780 6GB but how much of a performance drop would that be?

I've got 780ti. Bought it from amazon. Called them up, getting it sent back and picking up a 970 or two when the 8gb drops.

But everyone says "PC has the best graphics" are you telling me you actually have to build a good PC for that? And that it's not just a standard feature in all PC's? But PC can run this in 4k 120fps!

I wish people would stop using "pc" to describe a platform that is compareable to consoles. It is too broad of a word.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
0O5v1rL.jpg

Let's hope the super textures fix shit like that.

Top Bottom