• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

Krakn3Dfx

At this point, just going to wait for a decently priced midrange 6GB card. In the meantime, not going to buy any big PC game ports until after release to see how performance is on 2GB cards (already pre-ordered Mordor, so I'm in it for this one regardless, but from here on out). If it's not going to run well for me, I'll just wait until I upgrade down the line or buy it on the PS4 at some point.

Havel

So wait, Nvidia might just skip 20nm and go straight to 16? (from the article)

Maybe.

TSMC’s 20nm fabrication process has always been a strange one. Typically foundries offer several versions of manufacturing technologies aimed at different application: high-performance-chips, low-power chips, low-cost chips, etc. In case of 20nm TSMC only offers only one version of the process aimed at everything from low-cost system-on-chips for ultra-portable devices (such as smartphones) to high-performance processors (such as GPUs). Since there are reports about low 20nm yields at TSMC, high prices and limited production capacities available to AMD and Nvidia, it may make sense not to use this fabrication technology and jump directly to 16nm, which is set to be available for commercial chips in early 2015.

While the 16nm FinFET process technology makes more sense to use in early 2015 than the 20nm manufacturing technology, there is another reason why Nvidia could be more interested in this technology. TSMC has already developed 16nm FinFET+ fabrication process that will be utilised to make chips in volume later in 2015. In fact, TSMC expects the majority of its customers to use the 16nm FinFET+ version of the process due to its noticeable benefits compared to the original. It is interesting to note that there is a rumour about yet another 16nm process technology from TSMC called 16nm FinFET turbo. So far TSMC has not confirmed the existence of the third 16nm FinFET process.

Design rules of the 16nm FinFET and the 16nm FinFET+ are the same, everything is largely compatible. In general, 16nm FinFET designs can easily be produced on the 16nm FinFET+ node with minimal changes (if needed at all). The “plus” process is expected be fully qualified by September. TSMC’s fabs compatible with the company’s 20nm process technology are 95 per cent ready to produce chips using various versions of the company’s 16nm manufacturing technology, the company said earlier this year/
According to TSMC, 16nm FinFET+ provides up to 15 per cent performance improvement over the 16nm FinFET at the same level of power consumption. At the same clock-rate, chips produced using 16nm FinFET+ are expected to consume 30 per cent less power compared to the same chips made using 16nm FinFET.

In general, once Nvidia designs a chip for the 16nm node, it can speed it up using either the 16nm FinFET+ technology or the rumoured 16nm FinFET turbo technology, which means that the company can easily refresh its 16nm product line in 2016 by spending almost nothing on the development.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
0O5v1rL.jpg

Let's hope the super textures fix shit like that.

That looks like modded Skyrim, with incoherent texture quality across different objects on screen.

Smash88

Banned
And just like that 970/980 hype thread deflated lol

People should prepare themselves for this type of stuff moving forward. Especially as devs get unshackled from the hell that is 360/ps3 2006 specs.

I will never stop thanking you for telling me to keep the GTX Titan I bought, when I had my doubts. Definitely seeing the payout now, still competes with a GTX 980/780Ti (they only get ~3-5 fps+ avg) and I can run these beautiful 6GB of VRam textures come the 30th.

People talking about upgrades for future titles might also take this information on the new Maxwell cards into consideration.
I'm not sure though how games use this. If it's something the devloper of the game has to do or if it'll be something all DX 11.3 and above games will have as part of DX's standard functionality.

All 600 (?) and 700 series cards will support DX12 as well, so they will be getting the benefit as well.

UnrealEck

People talking about upgrades for future titles might also take this information on the new Maxwell cards into consideration.
I'm not sure though how games use this. If it's something the devloper of the game has to do or if it'll be something all DX 11.3 and above games will have as part of DX's standard functionality.

Ok sorry for overreacting! See this is why I asked GAF to talk me out of buying on consoles. I will probably take the wait and see approach but more than likely I will buy for PC after all.

It's a really easy decision if you ask me, having to go with console quality textures or below, you are probably stuck with 2x-4x AF on consoles, so even if your pc is not up to the task and you have to go with console textures, the overall scene will look more detailed and sharper due to 16xAF on PC unless you are looking at a single wall right in front of you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm surprised by the responses here. Everyone's all "I'm throwing my video card away, fuck it" without really thinking about what this means. You can likely max every other setting and achieve a perfect frame-rate with moderate hardware and it'll look fine.

Let's wait and see what these textures really bring to the table first. You don't need to max out every PC game to be able to enjoy it properly.

mrlion

Did this thread really turn into a 15 page thread about people bitching about their old video cards becoming obsolete?

Come on PC guys, act like you've been there before.

Not even...they're complaining that the new video cards are becoming obsolete...which is too much exaggeration but I guess.

vg260

I'm surprised by the responses here. Everyone's all "I'm throwing my video card away, fuck it" without really thinking about what this means. You can likely max every other setting and achieve a perfect frame-rate with moderate hardware and it'll look fine.

Let's wait and see what these textures really bring to the table first. You don't need to max out every PC game to be able to enjoy it properly.

Yeah, I don't play over 1080p, and I doubt the difference will bother me at all.

However, as someone about to pull the trigger on the 970, this makes me want to wait and see a bit.

Banned

Yeah I highly doubt the ultra textures are going to be worth an extra 3GB of VRAM and be eye poppingly different.

Qassim

Do you guys think the 980ti will have 6gb VRAM?

There may not be a 980Ti. The 980 is the full GM204 GPU, there isn't much more they can do with it at the moment as far as I know. We may not see a top end 'Ti' model until next year in which they may pull a similar move as the 780/780Ti and move to GM210 - in which they'll have room to play with (GM110 was 780, 780Ti, Titan & Titan Black).

So outside of just releasing a 980 with 6GB of VRAM and calling it '980Ti' I don't think we'll see one. Although it'd probably be 8GB instead of 6GB.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I don't play over 1080p, and I doubt the difference will bother me at all.

However, as someone about to pull the trigger on the 970, this makes me want to wait and see a bit.
You probably should. The new consoles raised the base specs and allow for more ambitious games which can push PCs much further. It's not a bad idea to wait and see where it all ends up unless you really need a new card now.

Ouch. As both John Carmack and Oles Shishkovstov have noted, consoles can provide almost twice the performance when compared with a comparably spec'ed PC, and, well, the math isn't pretty.

Basically, we can double the relevant specs on the PS4 side, so we're looking at an effective 16GB of DDR5 memory, or approximately 13-14 GB for use on the gaming side. We can also double the 1.8TF on the GPU side, to get a GPU subsystem that operates at an effective 3.6TF.

Meanwhile, since a comparably spec'ed PC is only half as powerful as a given console, and per the intransigent property of multiplicative dissemblance, we need to halve the relevant specs on the PC side. Thus, even with the latest flagship card, the 980, we're looking at a card with an effective 2.5TF and 2GBs of VRAM.

This means that a PS4 will be able to easily utilize Ultra textures (with memory to spare) and that the PS4 will be able to bring almost 1.5x more power to bear when compared to a PC running a 980 -- a PC that can utilize at most Medium textures, thanks to the effective 2GBs of VRAM.
Reading this post caused several of my brain cells to commit suicide. THANKS OBAMA

Altima

I have just spent 1100 dollar on my new PC earlier this year to be able to play a game only on medium.....

WTF ????????????????????????????????????????????

vg260

I have just spent 1100 dollar on my new PC earlier this year to be able to play a game only on medium.....

WTF ????????????????????????????????????????????

Medium, High, Ultra, 11, etc are arbitrary names at this point. Medium on a brand new game does not mean the same thing as medium from one or two years ago, or mean worse appearance than what you would have expected if they did not offer these Ultra textures.

Papacheeks

Banned
No, you can't look at a picture and think: "These graphics look like X VRAM."

There are many aspects of graphics that have a significantly lesser impact on VRAM. Texture quality, a very significant one is not particularly well-showcased in that screenshot.

Why would you want less performance in all other areas for possibly slightly better textures?

Will you not say whether the game is or isn't optimized well right now? How much hardware a highest settings requires is a very bad representation of whether or not a game is well-optimized.

It isn't according to the information given and evidence by what the game has going on graphically. Sounds like the Port is unoptimized, since the recommendations are close to what the PS4 and XBox one are using for VRAM. So my conclusion is that this is a either a lazy port, or an unpatched one. If we see a patch coming soon, with new video card drivers to follow, then my point it proven.

Right now I say it has an unoptimized engine for PC configuration. Especially since I gave examples in my previous post that people like DICE have no issue with their games running on moderate hardware.

Doesn't make sense for companies like Nvidia to release new cards, with benchmarks on current games like BF4, METRO:Last Light, which are by developers with PC background. Monolith hasn't been PC focused since FEAR.

So I give it maybe some time, it's possible like I stated that it might be a Sleeping Dogs scenario.

But as it stands at this very moment it is unoptimized.

This is the post made in the 980 thread by Andy at Nvidia about direct x 11.3 or 12, just reposting for clairity.

http://international.download.nvidi...nal/pdfs/GeForce_GTX_980_Whitepaper_FINAL.PDF Tiled Resources and related techs from page 23 on. With that you can take a 1.6GB VRAM scene and render it using just 156MB VRAM. That's going to require a game being programmed in DX11.3 or DX12, but when they arrive we're going to see a massive leap in visual detail, with far fewer repeated textures.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I wouldn't say that's too surprising. Hopefully this generation won't look like mud and ass. It'll definitely knock the "You'll never use more than 2 GB of VRAM at 1080p" people off their feet.

Most of those people have been called out well, the watchdog performance threads before and after launch were filled with plenty of debate on both sides. People listening to others saying you can future proof wanted to hear what they wanted to hear despite clear evidence of the last 15 years showing that you really can't.

blaidd

Banned
I'm on vacation, but I guess I have to test this out anyways as soon as I'm back in the office (and I'm kinda interested in the game anyways) so:

I actually might be able to take a look at the game - See if those textures are worth it. If I'm able to download them in the first place. Game's size is 34 Gigs, btw. but there's also some DLC and a Season Pass, maybe the just added the numbers up, or maybe those extra-gigs are for the ultra-textures or reserved for the OS, who knows.

The download is excruciatingly slow for some reason, this might take a while. -.-

nkarafo

Are there any screenshots that justify these ridiculous texture requirements? I'm not talking only about the Ultra setting but the High as well, since it requires 3GBs of V-Ram, which is a hell lot. So far the game doesn't look like it needs that much.

Reallink

It was not even 2 weeks ago I was told I was full of shit and had no idea what I was talking about when I said the 4GB wasn't going to be enough VRAM in the 970/980 rumor thread. Honestly though, I thought it'd have been 2015 before someone had the balls to recommend 6GB (my money would have been on Witcher 3, Batman, or GTAV as the first).

kharma45

It was not even 2 weeks ago I was told I was full of shit and had no idea what I was talking about when I said the 4GB wasn't going to be enough VRAM in the 970/980 rumor thread. Honestly though, I thought it'd have been 2015 before someone had the balls to recommend 6GB (my money would have been on Witcher 3, Batman, or GTAV as the first).

Until there is some actual testing done and not just a screenshot like in the OP everything in this thread is pure speculation. I cannot see 4GB of VRAM being a limiting factor for a good while yet.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I paid 700 for a GTX 780ti it has 3GB of VRAM PC stay losing. Shit aint even got as much RAM as a PS4 I hope I can run this one medium.

nkarafo

0O5v1rL.jpg

Let's hope the super textures fix shit like that.
These textures look like "low" to me, let alone "normal" or "high". Games on the 360/PS3 have sharper textures that this. So what now? We need 6GB of VRAM only so we don't get blurry, low res textures like this? This game looks like a complete waste of resources so far.

Looking at how the game looks in general, I'm don't understand why it is so high on VRAM, even at high. Anyway, increasing memory usage isn't the first place I would start to improve the graphics in this game, because I think it looks rather average when it comes to details, geometry and effects.

Noone has time to notice this, it's just 18 pages of trolling and people arguing against strawmen
Several screenshots have been posted with the textures looking like xbox 360 game textures

Ahasverus

I'd like to know how big these companies think the market is for things like this. Do they really believe there will be millions of PC people willing to spend hundreds on cards (s, because the single 6gb cards are not even common on the market yet) and will happily do so? And they are continously targeting for this now? Good luck.

I'd like to know how big these companies think the market is for things like this. Do they really believe there will be millions of PC people willing to spend hundreds on cards (s, because the single 6gb cards are not even common on the market yet) and will happily do so? And they are continously targeting for this now? Good luck.

What are you on about? Which companies? And since when has PC games pushing hardware become such a bad thing?

Do people even know how to PC anymore?

I do. I lead a sad and lonely life. :(

Top Bottom