• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

Mesoian

I'd like to know how big these companies think the market is for things like this. Do they really believe there will be millions of PC people willing to spend hundreds on cards (s, because the single 6gb cards are not even common on the market yet) and will happily do so? And they are continously targeting for this now? Good luck.

I mean, people have been asking when the next big jump in graphical fidelity was gonna be, with a lot of people being very vocal about hating the fact that games were still being tailored to the last generation of graphics.

Well, here's the future. Get ready to pay.

I'd like to know how big these companies think the market is for things like this. Do they really believe there will be millions of PC people willing to spend hundreds on cards (s, because the single 6gb cards are not even common on the market yet) and will happily do so? And they are continously targeting for this now? Good luck.

All this costs is bandwidth. They already have the textures made at this resolution. This allows them to get even better screenshots.

You do understand there are graphics options for pc games right? They just need the game to run on the greatest number of pc's as possible and still look decent/play well.

nkarafo

Well, here's the future. Get ready to pay.
I would if this game looked good. It looks average though. I except its "Ultra" setting to look as good as a "normal" looking PC game that doesn't require more than 2GB VRAM. That's considering what i have seen so far.

Qassim

Oh sorry, I must have missed the part where a 6GB card was required to play this game.

You're only required to have a 1GB card.

Teremap

Banned
Uh, no? It's just an option. One that, you know, you don't have to take if you can't afford to.

The only thing that should matter for most players is how scalable the game is and how good it looks at lower settings. The only players who should be considering the ultra-high-end are those players who actually have ultra-high-end hardware like the Titan series. It's fine for them to have OPTIONS catering to that .1% because they are just that, options.

Seriously, this Durante thread cannot be linked enough. Goddamn.

This is the most, hilarious/sad/depressing thread i have read here in a while, and all for an optional download for an ultra setting wich is still unseen and hasn´t been benchmarked

The fact that direct x 11.3/ 12 will be able to take a "1.6GB VRAM scene and render it using just 156MB VRAM" according to Nvidia makes this game just a hiccup before the new direct x is in place imo.

nkarafo

Uh, no? It's just an option. One that, you know, you don't have to take if you can't afford to.

The only thing that should matter for most players is how scalable the game is and how good it looks at lower settings. The only players who should be considering the ultra-high-end are those players who actually have ultra-high-end hardware like the Titan series. It's fine for them to have OPTIONS catering to that .1% because they are just that, options.

Seriously, this Durante thread cannot be linked enough. Goddamn.
The problem is that so far the game seems to have average to ugly textures in the screenshots. Normally, the "high" setting that requires 3GB VRAM should look sharp and, well, awesome. Like most PC games look when they eat up that much VRAM. The ultra setting would be even better than that. But it seems that the ultra setting is going to be required if you simply want your game to look like Witcher 2 or something.

Levyne

Banned
I would if this game looked good. It looks average though. I except its "Ultra" setting to look as good as a "normal" looking PC game that doesn't require more than 2GB VRAM. That's considering what i have seen so far.

I remember lots of people saying the same thing for Wolfenstein, only to have some pretty damn amazing shots show up in the pc screenshot thread.

I wouldn't judge too harshly from one image where who knows how the shot was captured and hosted

Edit: Do we even know which texture setting that is?

Smash88

Banned
I'm just curious, if 6GB of VRAM is needed for 1080p, how much VRAM is needed for 1440p, which is what I will be gaming at. If it requires over 6GB of VRAM for 1440p, I'm calling shenanigans.

There should be two PC versions of every game from now on. One with the regular settings, and a "Tell Me I'm Beautiful" edition, where everything maxes out at console settings and all maxed sliders are labeled "UBER ULTRA GIGAFLOPS HNNNG", and after setting everything on max a message pops up saying "Wow, maxed everything again! Your rig is so strong and beefy, I bet you're hung like a horse too!!"

BigDug13

Do we really need "ultra textures"? Aren't we reaching the point where that's just overkill? Needing 6GB VRAM just to adequately store the textures in your game area just seems like it's something my eyes won't even be able to distinguish.

AsfaeksBR

The fact that direct x 11.3/ 12 will be able to take a "1.6GB VRAM scene and render it using just 156MB VRAM" according to Nvidia makes this game just a hiccup before the new direct x is in place imo.

What kind of sorcery is this? Will DX12 really do it?
Let's hope it's true, then the people that said 2Gb VRAM was good for this generation won't be accused of lies!

Do we really need "ultra textures"? Aren't we reaching the point where that's just overkill? Needing 6GB VRAM just to adequately store the textures in your game area just seems like it's something my eyes won't even be able to distinguish.

I highly doubt we've reached the absolute ceiling in terms of what the eye can perceive on textures, so yes we probably do.

UnrealEck

What kind of sorcery is this? Will DX12 really do it?
Let's hope it's true, then the people that said 2Gb VRAM was good for this generation won't be accused of lies!

Check it out.

That tech I believe is only with Maxwell though and I doubt they'll make any new cards with less than 4GB of VRAM (outside of maybe budget cards), so I'm not expecting 2GB cards to throw around more textures just because of this tech.

UnrealEck

Isn't the Ultra textures a separate download? Those usually aren't available until the actual release day.

Yeah but they said everything is on ultra.
They look like very high res textures to me. If they're not ultra, I don't know why anyone would even need higher. Unless they're playing at 8K on a 100 inch screen. (maybe that's an exaggeration but you get the point)

Edit: I also noticed that the textures on ditant objects look very high quality.

Gbraga

Isn't the Ultra textures a separate download? Those usually aren't available until the actual release day.

That would make a lot of sense, actually. The game won't stop you from setting it to Ultra even without downloading, it just warns you that it makes no difference without downloading the ultra texture pack.

Kinthalis

Banned
I highly doubt we've reached the absolute ceiling in terms of what the eye can perceive on textures, so yes we probably do.

When it comes to textures, variety is probably going to be more important than resolution after a point. A large variety is probably goign to require somehting liek DX12 to work on 2 gig cards.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

the game is literally unplayable without a 6gb card!!

dr_rus

Check it out.

That tech I believe is only with Maxwell though and I doubt they'll make any new cards with less than 4GB of VRAM (outside of maybe budget cards), so I'm not expecting 2GB cards to throw around more textures just because of this tech.

That tech has nothing to do with memory savings. It only saves ROP bandwidth.

UnrealEck

That would make a lot of sense, actually. The game won't stop you from setting it to Ultra even without downloading, it just warns you that it makes no difference without downloading the ultra texture pack.

Fair point. I see in the screenshot of the settings, the game tells you that ultra can be set but it won't be any different from 'high' quality textures unless you have the pack installed.
PC Gamer might not have been wrong about all settings on ultra, but that wouldn't necessarily mean the ultra textures were installed.

Anyway judging by that video, the textures there are about as high res as I'd like. I'm curious to see what visual advantage the texture pack will have over the 'high' setting textures and if it's even going to be really noticeable unless you're pressing your face against a wall.

That tech has nothing to do with memory savings. It only saves ROP bandwidth.

Here's what someone from Nvidia had to say:

http://international.download.nvidi...nal/pdfs/GeForce_GTX_980_Whitepaper_FINAL.PDF Tiled Resources and related techs from page 23 on. With that you can take a 1.6GB VRAM scene and render it using just 156MB VRAM. That's going to require a game being programmed in DX11.3 or DX12, but when they arrive we're going to see a massive leap in visual detail, with far fewer repeated textures.

Source.
Am I misinterpretting it?

Edit: I see now. I think I psoted two different things. One for bandwidth only and the other for space.

Braag

I can't wait to see some side by side screenshot comparisons to see where that 3GB of VRAM sinks into from High to Ultra....

Kilau

Gold Member
I almost pulled the trigger on a 290x 4GB card yesterday. I don't want to spend $500 on a card that isn't going to be capable of running games at "ultra" for at least a year.

I guess I should wait until something new is announced or at least see how PC games are going to run since current gen consoles have so much more ram now.

nkarafo

So, did the Ultra settings on Doom 3 had any visible differences in texture quality? I remember that it didn't. Because it might as well be the same thing again.

Innolis

He...this feels like the old Doom 3 days with his Ultra setting requiring an epic 512mb of vram!

I'm guessing 6gb vram will become the standard with the cards coming after the 900 series.

dr_rus

Here's what someone from Nvidia had to say:

Source.
Am I misinterpretting it?

Edit: I see now. I think I psoted two different things. One for bandwidth only and the other for space.

He's talking about "H/W megatextures" aka PRTs aka Tiled Resources.
Delta Compression works on the data sent from ROP to memory and it's always active, there is nothing to program and no DX is needed.

Or... people could buy the game, and play with textures in medium or high. Just saying.

Skyzard

Banned
Yep. 4GB is the absolute bare minimum moving forward.

Evil Within basically stated this already:

If you’re trying to play with a rig with settings below these requirements (you should plan to have 4 GBs of VRAM regardless), we cannot guarantee optimal performance.

And if you are playing at 1440p+ it's going to be even more important.

MattyG

Banned
My 760 2GB am cry.

Are there any comparisons shots of high vs ultra vs PS4 textures? I'm try to decide between PC and PS4.

nbthedude

the game is literally unplayable without a 6gb card!!

Playing this game without ultra textures and only high textures instead is literally allowing it to cut off your balls and feed them back to you. These big companies are literally castrating their biggest fans.

Fox318

Never man.

People said the same thing about games years ago.

Skyzard

Banned
Playing this game without ultra textures and only high textures instead is literally allowing it to cut off your balls and feed them back to you. These big companies are literally castrating their biggest fans.

People who spend like £500 on graphics cards shouldn't have to play on medium/low just because they want a bit higher res than 10 years ago.

Nvidia is crippling the upgrades to keep selling titans. I want dat 8gb.

It's not all about this game, but across the board it's going up too and this gen is just starting.

Maybe we won't even see better quality! Devs will just get lazy and require more vram as standard due to the way consoles work or something.

nvidia needs to look after its base. 970s seem so sweet ... until we start seeing some more next-gen games with vram requirements and then the price won't mean shit as we have to upgrade again.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I fucking love it. Whether or not the Ultra textures do make a big difference (and I hope they do) I love the fact that a developer/publisher are willing to push it and go 'sorry folks you may not be able to use these just yet'. Haven't see that for a loooong time in PC games and hope to see more game devs push their PC versions as well.

Chasing the 'max settings' isn't something I'm too worried about personally, it's all about scalability and future proofing. As long as I can get a good looking game (better than the consoles) and have it run at 60fps I shall be happy.

It's funny seeing a Monolith game being the one to do it and make people go mad. I remember back in the day FEAR being something I had to upgrade for to play at the time as well.

I honestly hope we see more of this, it just means I've put off getting my 970 until we see a 6 - 8GB version, might as well wait a bit longer :p

Top Bottom