• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Proving 0.5 Is Better Than 9

Monkey attack is something you do when you are transformed as a monkey. You don't need to select it. You do it while grabbed to a wall. IIRC you press the Dpad away from the wall and press the attack button.
I don't remember what the green gem is.

Thanks for clarifying the monkey bullet :)

Green Stone lets you whip green gems to convert them into magic restoring jars. You'll eventually find a Red Stone which'll let you whip red gems to change them to hearts.

.....I never recall actually doing that after getting both of those.

Thanks for the clarification.

Epcott

Loving this game on the Switch. My only gripe is that it feels a bit short and the only real challenge was finding a way to the closed off chest by a waterfall in Mermaids Cove (and a few platforming levels). Edit: I take it back... this "spikes and lava" flappy birdish level is pure fuckery 😡

Can't get enough of the music in the desert. I keep expecting Jamiroquai to start singing. Bath house music reminds me of Ninjubes.

It already contains the Risky Boots DLC

How do you play the DLC? I don't see it. Do you need to complete the game first before it shows up in Character Select?

muteki

This has had my attention for a while but never got around to picking it up. I'm probably picking it up whenever it releases physically on Switch.

Bladelaw

I just 100%'ed this on the Switch. For anyone else looking to 100% this I was missing the last 2% because
I didn't trade Obliterate and Warp for the joke transformations at the snake vendor

It's a really fun game and a lot of motivation to find all the little collectibles. I kind of wish there was a boss rush mode just so I could listen to the awesome music.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Loving this game on the Switch. My only gripe is that it feels a bit short and the only real challenge was finding a way to the closed off chest by a waterfall in Mermaids Cove (and a few platforming levels). Edit: I take it back... this "spikes and lava" flappy birdish level is pure fuckery 😡

It's the classic "extremely hard bullshit section at the end of the game" that every Shantae features for some reason. (It gets worse, just wait for the conveyor belt part. Made me so angry.)

Epcott

It's the classic "extremely hard bullshit section at the end of the game" that every Shantae features for some reason. (It gets worse, just wait for the conveyor belt part. Made me so angry.)

True! But I don't remember getting that swamped in Pirate's Curse. The final boss forms were easier in comparison.

I still can't find the Risky DLC on the Switch version. It doesn't show up in the main menu or character select screen (it can't be the unlocked "Hero" mode). What am I missing?

Psxphile

True! But I don't remember getting that swamped in Pirate's Curse. The final boss forms were easier in comparison.

I still can't find the Risky DLC on the Switch version. It doesn't show up in the main menu or character select screen (it can't be the unlocked "Hero" mode). What am I missing?

Uh, it's not out yet.

I believe that one poster was talking about the possibility of the DLC being included in the Switch physical version?

Epcott

Ah, ok. On the store page it says DLC included, so I was under the impression it was out. Good to know there's something to look forward to!

Chauzu

Just finished normal difficulty 100%! Actually enjoyed this game a lot, so might return for harder difficulties as well. And I must say, best use of HD rumble as well! Even Nintendo should take note from how its used in this game, simply brilliant.

Chauzu

Is the normal mode challenging at all? I picked hard, but is too frustrating to be enjoyable.

Once you start upgrading it becomes a bit like BotW and you hardly need to worry about dying, you can even boost your magic so you can heal to full health at no expense.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

The last castle. Mostly this part: https://youtu.be/gzCxFlPuqeI?t=9m35s

I died 60 times, not exaggerating, trying to beat that one Flappy Bird section. It was one of the most infuriating things I've ever had to do in a video game, and I refuse to ever play it again. Thank God you can do some shenanigans to scale the tower's ledges without having to go through doors into those challenge sections.

Vena

I picked this up after (finally) finishing D5 (holy crap that game is long) but I have to say, frankly, there's some really bad level design in this game so far. (Don't get me wrong, the game is still fun on top of great music and art.)

The desert town/level with the vertical centipede chase is simply badly made. There are multiple dead-ends that have no visible sign-posting other than to guess and check, and the centipede moves fast enough to make this a frustrating design. It was not hard to overcome but no part of your level should be designed with 50/50 coin flips that potentially force you to restart the entire thing. This is just bad. It is not a test of skill, mental aptitude, nor is it fun to potentially fail because of things completely out of your control. Some of the 50/50 splits with one into dead-end, I am pretty sure, are not even possible to be corrected due to their length vs. speed of the centipede.

There are other poor design choices but that one, specifically, really stood out to be as just plain bad design.

Cheerilee

I picked this up after (finally) finishing D5 (holy crap that game is long) but I have to say, frankly, there's some really bad level design in this game so far. (Don't get me wrong, the game is still fun on top of great music and art.)

The desert town/level with the vertical centipede chase is simply badly made. There are multiple dead-ends that have no visible sign-posting other than to guess and check, and the centipede moves fast enough to make this a frustrating design. It was not hard to overcome but no part of your level should be designed with 50/50 coin flips that potentially force you to restart the entire thing. This is just bad. It is not a test of skill, mental aptitude, nor is it fun to potentially fail because of things completely out of your control. Some of the 50/50 splits with one into dead-end, I am pretty sure, are not even possible to be corrected due to their length vs. speed of the centipede.

There are other poor design choices but that one, specifically, really stood out to be as just plain bad design.

I'm not sure if that's specifically bad game design, because it depends on what the developers wanted you to experience in that moment.

The clock is ticking, you come to a branching path, and there is no "signpost" to point out which path is the correct path. While you stand there trying to determine which way is the smarter way, the time limit sneaks up on you and panic starts to set in, and you're forced to simply pick a direction and rush headlong into it. If you choose wrong, you're thrown into a dead-end and you scour the walls like a trapped rat trying to see if it's really a dead end or if there's any way to slip out or escape before you die (maybe you can backtrack in a hurry, because sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't). You die and there's a frustration because you think the game was being unfair. If you choose right, you don't have any time to celebrate before you're thrown into another dilemma.

If the devs were trying to give you that sense of panic, and they were willing to be "mean" to the player by throwing them into a couple of "unfair" tests that can only be passed through blind luck (rather than skill), then that's a valid design choice.

It would be a bad design decision if it wasn't deliberate, and they did it without realizing. Like if someone who was used to working in 4:3 was tasked with drawing up the map of the maze and they failed to account for the limited vertical viewing distance available when you're playing in widescreen. That sort of thing would be bad.

eastx

Agreed with Cheerilee that it's not bad level design. You have enough time to go both ways or see that you've taken a wrong turn and scramble the other way.

heringer

Is it advisable to start this game in hardcore mode already? How hard is it, compared to other platformers?

Also, is the Risky Boots DLC a new campaign with new levels and bosses or just the old levels remixed?

bionic77

Is it advisable to start this game in hardcore mode already? How hard is it, compared to other platformers?

Also, is the Risky Boots DLC a new campaign with new levels and bosses or just the old levels remixed?
On normal the game is not hard at all and I thought the gameplay was kind of weak.

Most of the challenge comes in finding the next thing you need to progress to the next area. That works in Metroid games because they are awesome, but I found this to be pretty boring and simplistic.

The graphics and production values are good though.

Guess I'll answer his questions.

If you have experience with platforming games then you can try hardcore mode. Enemies are placed differently and have different attack patterns. It isn't that hard but it's very fun! I enjoyed it a lot! If you want to make it even harder don't use any items.

Risky Boots DLC is a new campaign with remixes of older levels. The gameplay is similar to that of the previous game Pirate's Curse. Basically it's the story from Risky's point of view. There is also more campaigns coming as DLC where you can play as Shantae's three friends.

Realeza

Banned
I've been playing this the past couple days and think is awesome. Absolutely perfect game to play on Switch handheld.

Psxphile

From SDCC:

DFNVQxuXUAA_IaI.jpg:small

(it's different from the backer-exclusive Half-Genie artbook that's still in the works)

Also preorders for the Charagumin figure resin kit are open until August 14th with a delivery date of August 18th:
http://volksusastore.com/webstores/hobby/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=8416

From SDCC:

DFNVQxuXUAA_IaI.jpg:small

(it's different from the backer-exclusive Half-Genie artbook that's still in the works)

Also preorders for the Charagumin figure resin kit are open until August 14th with a delivery date of August 18th:
http://volksusastore.com/webstores/hobby/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=8416
Miiiiiiiinnnnnnneeeeeee!

Also thanks for that notification about the Shantae figure! I was super sad cause I thought it was a first come first serve kind of thing until they run out but I don't get payed until next week.

So if it's unlimited then I'm fine with waiting for my paycheck!

Cheerilee

Steam version of Shantae just updated. Risky mode is apparently incoming (the updated game allows you to select it, but the DLC doesn't quite exist yet on Steam's end).

TheOGB

Banned
Oh yeah, I noticed it had updated on PS4 and forgot to see what it was for 👀

edit: "Version 1.02 - Adding support for Shantae: Pirate Queen's Quest"
Pop up when you press X at the title screen says "This game supports downloadable content. Would you like to go to the Playstation Store now?" Just like on Steam, it's not on the store yet.

Steam version of Shantae just updated. Risky mode is apparently incoming (the updated game allows you to select it, but the DLC doesn't quite exist yet on Steam's end).

Oh yeah, I noticed it had updated on PS4 and forgot to see what it was for 👀

edit: "Version 1.02 - Adding support for Shantae: Pirate Queen's Quest"
Pop up when you press X at the title screen says "This game supports downloadable content. Would you like to go to the Playstation Store now?" Just like on Steam, it's not on the store yet.
Yeah we should be getting a Kickstarter update anytime tomorrow according to Twitter! I can't wait!

Going back to this game, I really enjoy it, but there's definitely some pacing issues. Some parts of the game just aren't fun at all. Going back to places to collect one item only to warp off to someplace else, it gets a bit tedious.

Difficulty of the game is hit and miss too. In general all of the bosses are too easy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Imagine if we got Risky Boots as a surprise DLC release today. I need something to play while waiting for Sonic Mania next week, if it's $5 or less, I'll gladly get it.

Edit: 5 trophies/achievements added for Pirate Queen's Quest:

- Collect your first component
- Collect all Dark Magic
- Collect all Genie Crystals
- "Defeat that Half-Genie brat"
- Obtain all win screens

Wayforward said:
Set Sail for Pirate Queen's Quest!

Greetings, Backers!
This update delivers some BIG NEWS! Hold onto you hats, we’re diving straight in!

Pirate Queen's Quest!
stpzJ8q_d.jpg

The Risky Boots DLC, “Pirate Queen’s Quest” is now complete, and has been submitted to Steam, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo! Yay! Some of you may have noticed that the game has already received an update over the past few days. That’s because we’ve added new achievements and trophies, as well as other game code to support the inbound DLC!
The game will be available publicly as premium DLC, but will be free to Backers. We’re working hard to ensure that Backers can play this content early, before it’s released to the general public. We’ll update you once we’ve passed submission and have codes in hand! Please remember that each platform handles codes differently, so we’ll do the best we can to get them out on or around the same time. We hope you’ll look forward to this HUGE ADDITION to the game!
As a reminder, you will receive the DLC code that matches the platform (or platforms) you already selected for the main game. We can’t mix or match the DLC, since we have to buy these download codes in advance, so thank you for your understanding.

Tinkerbat Dance DLC is here!
uXd2phj_d.jpg

We’re happy to report that we now have Tinkerbat Dance Download Codes for every platform. Without further ado, we’ll start distributing those to qualifying Backers this week! This DLC will allow Shantae to transform into a Tinkerbat to slice foes, and double-jump using the Tinker-Copter!
Keep your eyes on that inbox!

NOTE: We’d like to remind everyone that DLC was created exclusively for Backers at the “$55 and above” Tier. Since then, a lot of you have requested that this be released publicly for those who missed it. At this time, our desire is to keep this content exclusive to those who backed it. However, we’re considering releasing it at some later date, after a lengthy exclusivity period.
We’d really like to hear what you, our Backers, think about this. Please share your opinions in the comments section of our Kickstarter Page.

Color Swaps + Drifter Blade DLC Update!
Some more good news: The “Blue Shantae” and “Classic Risky” color swaps, as well as the “Drifter Blade” are complete! We’ll have more info on that next time. We’ve got a lot of content for you, coming in HOT!

Friends Mode DLC Update!
With Pirate Queen’s Quest behind us, we’re hard at work on the Friends Mode DLC. We’re making excellent progress on this new mode, which (like Pirate Queen’s Quest) adds an all new storyline, new levels, and a special boss encounter. At present, we’re about halfway done with this mode. Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops are all playable and lookin’ good! We’ll do a full update on this exciting new content soon!
I haven't gotten the Tinkerbat e-mail so I really hope they don't miss me like they did with the credits :(.

Lain

You have to rehost pictures when it comes to kickstarter images.

I didn't back at the 55 tier so no tinkerbat dance for me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Still no word on how much Risky Boots will cost? You'd think being so close to the release, they'd have figure out how much they wanna charge.

Oh well, at least it seems to be close.

Risky Boots DLC is Here!

Wayforward said:
Pirate Queen’s Quest On Deck!
jAcjvdL.jpg

Today marks the biggest day for our Kickstarter campaign since the game’s initial launch! THIS IS THE BIG ONE! Risky Boots DLC is ready to launch, under the new official title “Shantae: Pirate Queen’s Quest”!

The game will be available worldwide on August 29th! We really want to make a huge splash with this new mode, so PLEASE help us spread the word so we can make this a successful launch day! This is premium (paid) content for the rest of the world, but free to Backers. We want the public to understand that this is not merely an add-on character. It’s a completely different game experience - new enemies, storyline, and abilities.

We have a Press Release going out to the general public, with a Press Kit (http://bit.ly/2ilPnKk). Please share this info with as many folks as you can! Thank you!

Risky Boots Codes!
bGTajzb.jpg

With Pirate Queen’s Quest launching publicly next week, we’re dedicating THIS WEEK to getting codes to Backers! As before, we’re prioritizing Backers so that you’ll have time to play before anyone else!

We’ll start the distribution process TODAY, so keep an eye on your inbox! As before, we apologize that there’s no way to post all of them simultaneously. We have a lot of Backers around the globe, so we have to work with many external groups to handle the code acquisition and distribution. It takes a few days to get the codes to everyone, so thanks for your patience!

Please keep it Spoiler-Free!
v4HZFGE.jpg

Many of you have asked if you can stream or post images and videos. Yes, please do! But, we do ask that you post appropriate spoiler warnings on your video descriptions, and use tact when posting images. Keep it spoiler-free so everyone can enjoy this awesome new content! Thanks!

RedToad64

Yay on a release date.
.....though I'm guessing we won't learn of the price until it hits....

I need a date and a price, Wayforwarrrrrrrrd

Still no word on how much Risky Boots will cost? You'd think being so close to the release, they'd have figure out how much they wanna charge.
Oh well, at least it seems to be close.

It will be $10.

To those who have it, would you say that price point is justified?

Top Bottom