• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero |OT| Proving 0.5 Is Better Than 9

Yo I'm so excited for this update/DLC!!! I can't wait! Plus I'm getting the Tinkerbat transformation too!

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the Speed Runner and Quick Collector trophies???

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yo I'm so excited for this update/DLC!!! I can't wait! Plus I'm getting the Tinkerbat transformation too!

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the Speed Runner and Quick Collector trophies???
Do it in Hero Mode to have some of the transformations ready. I kind of just watched a speedrun on Youtube to give me a good idea as to what I should be doing. Also, mash through the dialogue.

Do it in Hero Mode to have some of the transformations ready. I kind of just watched a speedrun on Youtube to give me a good idea as to what I should be doing. Also, mash through the dialogue.
Awesome! Thanks Zonic! I'll check out sone speedrun videos to see how to best approach it.

Cheerilee

Figure out what path you're going to take through the game.

Get yourself hyped up. Run through a small portion of the game, until you reach a save point.

If you're confident that you did that part well, save your game. If you think you can do better, don't save the game, that way you can try it again. In any case, put down the controller and take a moment to catch your breath, and then when you feel ready, load your gamesave and keep running.

Before making a small savepoint-to-savepoint run, you might first want to "walk" that portion of the route, to make sure that you know what you're doing.

Figure out what path you're going to take through the game.

Get yourself hyped up. Run through a small portion of the game, until you reach a save point.

If you're confident that you did that part well, save your game. If you think you can do better, don't save the game, that way you can try it again. In any case, put down the controller and take a moment to catch your breath, and then when you feel ready, load your gamesave and keep running.

Before making a small savepoint-to-savepoint run, you might first want to "walk" that portion of the route, to make sure that you know what you're doing.
Those are great ideas. It'll make things easier too. Thank you Cheerilee!

Psxphile

C_ITMrzUMAAdN65.jpg:small

Figurine coming soon?

"America's popular game character", huh...

Gravidee

If we already have the digital copy, are the kickstarter backer exclusives still compatible with the physical disc release? How does it work exactly?

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is coming to Nintendo Switch this summer! Feel the beat with all new HD Rumble! Full details coming soon!!
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero for Nintendo Switch contains over 150 custom-made HD Rumble events! Feel the beat this summer!

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/862729616787558400
https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/862743406719639552

edit. added it here too to have it in one post

WayForward will publish the digital version of Shantae: HGH for Switch. We're partnering with @XSEEDGames on a retail version! Details soon!

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/862737540624793600

http://www.volks.co.jp/en/charagumin/whats.html/

Wait what??? Is it a figma???

Quadruple dipping. And apparently Xseed announced a physical edition too!

yup. you're right. Forgot to add that
WayForward will publish the digital version of Shantae: HGH for Switch. We're partnering with @XSEEDGames on a retail version! Details soon!

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/862737540624793600

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks like it was added on Xbox One, a single 100G achievement for beating Hardcore Mode.

Maybe it could be added as a trophy via the Risky Boots DLC?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Looks like it was added on Xbox One, a single 100G achievement for beating Hardcore Mode.

Maybe it could be added as a trophy via the Risky Boots DLC?

Interesting! I bet that's what happens.

Gravidee

Anyone know if the disc-based version shares a save with the digital version of the game? I'm referring to the PS4 edition by the way.

Would anyone prefer that I update the OP with info pertaining to the Switch version or would folk prefer having a separate thread for whenever the presumed retail variant launches?

Images of the Shantae CharaGumin figure that will be available (in limited quantities) at AnimeExpo 2017:

DB554AcVwAAkYGw.jpg:small

Source
Okay I really need this. But I don't have a ticket to AnimeExpo!

Hmmm....who can I get help from?
Would anyone prefer that I update the OP with info pertaining to the Switch version or would folk prefer having a separate thread for whenever the presumed retail variant launches?
It'd be nice but you don't have to if you don't want to!

It'd be nice but you don't have to if you don't want to!
Okay, I've updated the opening post with the following new details. Please feel free to send a private message or comment within the thread to suggest any adjustments!

-- Release date info has been added to reflect the Switch digital and impending retail launch.
-- Opening, closing and "Risky Beats" Edition images have been removed and replaced as a result of the original host timing out.
-- A question pertaining to the Switch exclusive feature, primarily HD Rumble supporting 150+ events, has been added to the FAQ. If there are other noteworthy additions, let know me know as soon as possible.
-- Metacritic and OpenCritic accumulative scores and review totals have been revised.
-- A launch trailer from back in December 2016 via WayForward has been added to the Extras section.

Just got this on Switch yesterday. Man it's a ton of fun. That music is increeeeeeeedible! It is just a joy to play.

The only other Shantae game I played was Pirate's Curse on Steam. Didn't make it very far for some reason.

OmegaFax

HD rumble is amazing in Shantae. Best implementation of any game I've played on Switch.

I was amazed at how subtle it was when you land a jump or walk around in crab form. You barely feel it but you'd definitely miss it if you turned it off after playing the game with it out. It has way more range than any previous console controller I've used.

Same with games like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I always played the Wii U version with rumble off partially because of battery considerations but also because it's a weak, single vibrator that felt like something built for a Nokia burner phone.

I went back to the MK8 on Wii U without rumble on and it just felt weird after playing the Switch version a lot.

Just got this on Switch yesterday. Man it's a ton of fun. That music is increeeeeeeedible! It is just a joy to play.

The only other Shantae game I played was Pirate's Curse on Steam. Didn't make it very far for some reason.

Pirate curse is a bit different from other Shantae games but most players seem to like it quite a bit. Risky mode in HGH will be based on it.
Give it another try when you finish HGH or perhaps try Risky mode first when it releases and go back to it after that if you liked it

Going into the third world, I've gotta say...this isn't nearly as fun as the last game. It's good, and I don't feel like it isn't worth the price, but it's just not capturing me in the same way. Maybe it's the transformation set up...

Oh, and the idle animation at full health is terrible on a 3d model.

dock

I've never enjoyed a way forward game, but I just tried this out and beat the first boss.

Other than the fetch quest characters, does it ever become more complex? Does Shantae human get more abilities other than the animals? Is there more to the platforming? It seems repetitive and very plain so far.

Opa-Pa

I've never enjoyed a way forward game, but I just tried this out and beat the first boss.

Other than the fetch quest characters, does it ever become more complex? Does Shantae human get more abilities other than the animals? Is there more to the platforming? It seems repetitive and very plain so far.

Did you try Pirate's Curse? That's peak WF AND Shantae. This game is pretty mediocre in comparison.

dock

Did you try Pirate's Curse? That's peak WF AND Shantae. This game is pretty mediocre in comparison.
This was my first time spending more than 10 minutes with a Shantae. The weird mix of high res art and chunky pixels throws me in Pirate's Curse.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
dW78EAh.png

Our Risky Boots Mode now has a name: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero – Pirate Queen’s Quest! This will be our first Premium DLC Pack, and of course it will be free to all Backers. Development of this mode is nearly complete. We’re down to minor balancing and testing, and we expect it to release sometime in the July/August timeframe for all platforms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2fOwX5t5Ow

A bunch of other stuff in the update about physical rewards also. Go read it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-hero/posts/1910122?ref=backer_project_update

RK128

So...if you bought the game, is the DLC free? Or is it ONLY for backers (being free that is)?

I don't mind shelling out 10-15$ for more content, but just wondering.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just to people who backed the game.

I wonder how much they'll charge. I'd probably give in at $5, but wait if it's $10.

Fitz

Ah at last, been wanting a reason to play more of the game. Looks decent based on the trailer, different enough from playing as Shantae at least. Hopefully the levels play out quite a bit differently than usual.

let me just post the update. already did it in the other topic

------------------------------------------------

Update #103 Jun 12, 2017

Happy E3 2017 Week!

Howdy Backers!

As you know, E3 week is the busiest week of the year for the game industry, with folks flying in from all over the globe to meet, play games, and talk business at the LA Convention Center! WayForward will be there too, showing off the latest and greatest content for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero! We hope you’ll all have a fun and informative E3 week! We’ve got a lot to share with you, so let’s dive in!

Introducing Pirate Queen’s Quest

Our Risky Boots Mode now has a name: Shantae: Half-Genie Hero – Pirate Queen’s Quest! This will be our first Premium DLC Pack, and of course it will be free to all Backers. Development of this mode is nearly complete. We’re down to minor balancing and testing, and we expect it to release sometime in the July/August timeframe for all platforms.

Click here to enjoy your first look at Pirate Queen’s Quest!

Enemy ScorpGal!

ScorpGal, another of our Game Boy favorites is making her return in the upcoming Risky Boots DLC, “Pirate Queen’s Quest!”. As you might expect, ScorpGal inhabits the desert levels of the game, and is a high risk/high reward enemy. If you need to gather up loot, take the time to engage in deadly combat with this fierce foe!

Enemy Mummy!

This versatile villain from Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse is a welcome addition to Risky’s adventure. He appears in desert and spooky locations, and can even be carried on the wings of eagles! You’ll need to unravel the mystery behind this foe’s weakness if you want to survive. There must be some way to send him spinning!

Tinkerbat Dance Codes Update!

The download codes for the Tinkerbat Dance have started to arrive! Once we have them for all platforms, we’ll release them to everyone at the same time. We can’t wait for you to try it out!

Physical Rewards Update!

After a lengthy search, we’ve found our poster manufacturer! The company “YesAnime” will be manufacturing (and framing) our lenticular print. They have extensive experience converting anime box artwork to lenticular posters, which are sold at Anime Expo and other conventions. We’ve decided to go with a smaller size poster that comes pre-framed, because they’re sturdy, easy to display, and look awesome! Here’s a preview of the poster all 3-D-ified (in animated gif format).

Other physical rewards:

Coin!
Our coin manufacturer is locked in! We’re going with a 1.75 inch “antique gold” colored coin with text engraved on the edge, and an image of Risky and Shantae on either side.

Shirts!
Our manufacturer has done a fresh batch of sample shirts for us, and we’re digging the quality. We’ll send you an update once we have a final image for you!

Music CD!
Our Backer Exclusive OST and bonus tracks are now ready for manufacturing. This now includes additional tracks from the upcoming Risky Boots, Friends, and Costumes DLC! Hooray for music!

Art Book!
The team is pouring through favorite concept images and character designs for inclusion in the book! As a reminder, some pages will be exclusive to backers, even if we do a publicly available art book later on.

Nintendo Switch Version!

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is out now for Nintendo Switch! The digital version is being published by WayForward, and the retail version will be published by Xseed. Price, release date, and other details will be announce by Xseed!

For those asking, unfortunately there is no way to transfer save data or DLC content between a Wii U system and a Nintendo Switch system. Sorry for the inconvenience.

--------------------
Also. to add some new news. Some tweets from Matt Bozon

Hey all! I'll be doing a panel at #AnimeExpo with @CristinaVee when the figure releases! Also available Aug 18th at http://volksusastore.com/webstores/hobby/

https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/874840980796604416

Hey all! If you're at #E32017 today, stop by Xseed and check out the game!
https://twitter.com/MrBozon/status/874683714583764992

Might get to see more of Risky mode in action at E3

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So the Charagumin figure comes out Aug. 18, eh? Good to have a date now.

Hopefully we get a price and final release date on the DLC soon.

Is there a reason why some of the relics don't work? Green gem and monkey attack don't even come up in the selection bar next to health.

I'm playing on the Switch.

OmegaX

Is there a reason why some of the relics don't work? Green gem and monkey attack don't even come up in the selection bar next to health.

I'm playing on the Switch.
Monkey attack is something you do when you are transformed as a monkey. You don't need to select it. You do it while grabbed to a wall. IIRC you press the Dpad away from the wall and press the attack button.
I don't remember what the green gem is.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Green Stone lets you whip green gems to convert them into magic restoring jars. You'll eventually find a Red Stone which'll let you whip red gems to change them to hearts.

.....I never recall actually doing that after getting both of those.

Top Bottom