• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3. E3. Fund now or leave gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erevador

I love it when people say stuff like this about Shenmue, while seemingly forgetting that six months ago, Sony announced that they are localising Yakuza 5. Is that a financially viable move for them to make? No. Is it going to be a commercial hit? No. Should I fucking care as a consumer why Sony are making it happen when Sega refused to do so? No. We're getting Yakuza 5 some time this year and that's awesome. Assuming the licensing issues have been smoothed out, there's no reason why we can't get a Shenmue HD Collection because of Sony's Third Party Productions team as well. It is after all the most requested thing in their #BuildingTheList campaign.

To clarify, I'm not actually expecting a new game a la Shenmue 3 from all of this. But I do think a HD Collection is a perfectly reasonable announcement for Sony to make.
Yes. Sometimes it is worth losing a little money on a cheap project (like Shenmue HD) because it gains you so much loyalty with the die-hards, who will feel more inclined to evangelize for your products and buy everything. Perception matters.

No, I mean Climax.

I obviously think Shining Force 1 and SitD are great -- in fact, I just finished a playthrough of SF1 a few days ago -- but SF3 was set up perfectly for a storyline involving Galm and the Vandals.

I actually prefer Climax's art style to the later games but I think Camelot is the true holders of the Shining series.

To bring it back on topic, I'm glad Sega didn't break off the Shenmue series into a bunch of really low-quality borderline hentai games like they did with Shining. I've long given up hope for a true Shining game but, because of it's continued absence, have never given up on Shenmue.

If all they announce is a Shenmue HD collection, I'll gift a copy to all of my friends who own PS4s (or whatever system it's on).

Blue_Moon

Neo Member
I love it when people say stuff like this about Shenmue, while seemingly forgetting that six months ago, Sony announced that they are localising Yakuza 5. Is that a financially viable move for them to make? No. Is it going to be a commercial hit? No. Should I fucking care as a consumer why Sony are making it happen when Sega refused to do so? No. We're getting Yakuza 5 some time this year and that's awesome. Assuming the licensing issues have been smoothed out, there's no reason why we can't get a Shenmue HD Collection because of Sony's Third Party Productions team as well. It is after all the most requested thing in their #BuildingTheList campaign.

To clarify, I'm not actually expecting a new game a la Shenmue 3 from all of this. But I do think a HD Collection is a perfectly reasonable announcement for Sony to make.

This...Fucking this
jon-stewart.gif

Jomjom

Banned

Um doing some translations and menu recoding or whatnot is not even close to the same as HD remaking a super old game. Yakuza 5 may not make money for Sony, but it certainly won't lose them much either. Remember it's digital only. This is a false equivalency if I've ever seen one.

Tizoc

Um doing some translations and menu recoding or whatnot is not even close to the same as HD remaking a super old game. Yakuza 5 may not make money for Sony, but it certainly won't lose them much either. Remember it's digital only. This is a false equivalency if I've ever seen one.

Shenmue 1+2 HD can be digital only too.
Keep in mind that Shenmue's assets were said to have been worked on a few years ago, and that SEGA initially had plans to release a remastered edition, but the release didn't go through; the work on the remastering did happen though.

We're not talking about a remake, we talking about a remaster, which is probably a cheaper process than the translation of massive amounts of text required to bring Yakuza 5 over here. And as Tizoc said, according to an insider, the remasters were finished years ago, but were set back by licensing issues.

Shenmue 1+2 HD can be digital only too.
Keep in mind that Shenmue's assets were said to have been worked on a few years ago, and that SEGA initially had plans to release a remastered edition, but the release didn't go through; the work on the remastering did happen though.

Details?

I'm just in shock and awe at how quickly all of this escalated. In the past week we've had strong rumours, teases and reports of Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian and an FF7 Remake. Three unbelievable almost mythical dreamlike game announcements to which one, two or three could all be confirmed to be true in a matter of hours from now at Sony's conference. This has the potential to be the best E3 ever if even just one of those projects are confirmed to be true. What's going to happen if Sony has all three? The Internet would just fucking explode. All eyes on Sony's conference later now. I'm hyped to hell and back. To temper expectations a little and be somewhat realistic I'd say a Shenmue HD collection is far more realistic and believable than Shenmue 3 but I think the important notion is that if just something Shenmue related is confirmed to happen then that then opens the possibility for a true Shenmue 3 to be green-lit down the line.

That's the exciting part about Sony announcing Shenmue 1/2 HD. It could eventually lead to 3.

Tizoc

It was an old article though and I sadly can't remember where I read it.
But basically it mentioned that SEGA had planned to release Shenmue 1 (at least) HD/remastered. The reason they didn't might've been due to their financial status at the time, or some other reason.

HonMirin

Well, after Microsoft's ace in the hole (backwards compatibility), Sony really needs to step up to the plate. If they only reveal Shenmue, that'll at least earn them a pat on the back.

... I think I believe. I can't help it. Then again, I thought I'd see Banjo Threeie today.

Kssio_Aug

I obviously think Shining Force 1 and SitD are great -- in fact, I just finished a playthrough of SF1 a few days ago -- but SF3 was set up perfectly for a storyline involving Galm and the Vandals.

I actually prefer Climax's art style to the later games but I think Camelot is the true holders of the Shining series.

To bring it back on topic, I'm glad Sega didn't break off the Shenmue series into a bunch of really low-quality borderline hentai games like they did with Shining. I've long given up hope for a true Shining game but, because of it's continued absence, have never given up on Shenmue.

If all they announce is a Shenmue HD collection, I'll gift a copy to all of my friends who own PS4s (or whatever system it's on).

Hi friend! =D

ninanuam

Banned
I want this but I don't believe it will happen.

So to make myself feel better I bought the Shenmue soundtrack on Vinyl.

I am a nostalgia's bitch.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just picked up a PS4 at Best Buy because I figure once news of this hits the mainstream it's gonna be crazy hard to find one for a while....I was on the fence but it's always good to be a little ahead of the curb.

kinn

FF7 remake, TLG and Shenmue HD.

This e3 will down in history as one of the greatest
disappointments
ever!

This will be legendary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom