• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 PayPal (Slack Backer) Funding site live

poodaddy

Saw this and was ready to throw money at the screen as my family is more stable than they were, but no PC? Unfortunate man, get PC keys going and you've got my money.

EboPu6Y.png

Looks like it got ~150 new backers in the last day adding an extra ~$13,000 I think.

JP

Addressing the bolded question, usually I'd give an automatic "no". Most kickstarter campaigns don't draw a substantial amount of money via paypal post-campaign. BUT, most kickstarter campaigns don't have such a dedicated fanbase. If I had to guess... another $500k via paypal? Breaking $7m would be cool, maybe...?

I'm also interested on whether they're able to link paypal money with existing backer accounts...
I'd estimate that PayPal usually accounts for 10-15% of a Kickstarted project's funding, but that's when PayPal is offered during the original campaign. Not sure how much of a push they'll get offering PayPal so late.

Slacker Backer campaigns typically don't do big numbers either.

I'm thinking Shenmue will reach $7M before the Slacker Backer campaign is through. I'm hoping for $7.5, though. That high ground system sounds neat.
Thanks.

Not really as much as I was hoping for but extra funding can only make things better for the project and the more of the stretch goals they reach the better it'll be. Think I'm going to wait for pay day and go for a downloadable PS4 copy, all my current gen games are downloadable copies but I did want the blu-ray version to keep. I may even go for a second blu-ray copy instead.

so much for HD announcement at TGS :/

A HD collection would've been too big a deal internationally to announce at TGS. Sony wants those brownie points and that good will at its fullest, so if it's actually happening then it'll get its reveal at PSX, just like Yakuza 5.

so much for HD announcement at TGS :/

A HD collection would've been too big a deal internationally to announce at TGS. Sony wants those brownie points and that good will at its fullest, so if it's actually happening then it'll get its reveal at PSX, just like Yakuza 5.

I personally thought the turn around time for a HD release might be too soon for something like TGS (if they've decided on doing it, I would hope so personally). I'd imagine they would need some time before formally announcing anything due to the time/effort to port/QA both games along with the legal hurdles they would have to handle.

JP

I personally thought the turn around time for a HD release might be too soon for something like TGS (if they've decided on doing it, I would hope so personally). I'd imagine they would need some time before formally announcing anything due to the time/effort to port/QA both games along with the legal hurdles they would have to handle.
It may happen but I do also think that hoping for an announcement at TGS was asking far too much. For the things that have been said by the people involved this is a very difficult thing to achieve and even before the work on the conversions start, it's likely to cost the people involved in it a lot of money.

On the bright side, Shenmue III is expected in December 2017 so a release approaching the launch of that game is still possible and probably makes more sense than releasing them a year or more before that game.

I do hope it'll happen and I hope in some way that the positivity around this project encourages that in some way.

Spaghetti

it'd be nice to see all the battle stretch goals hit, but maybe that's asking a little much.

edit: actually, seeing how the last battle goal is 7.5 million i think we might actually get there by the end. it's done, what, like $20K in the last few days? even with a good few ups and downs i think we're going to get to 7 million by the end of the year.

Spaghetti

Shenmue HD will be an E3 announcement by Sony. Remember these words ppl.
or psx in december (?).

it's coming. there are very few reasons why it may not happen. regardless of legal entanglements and other such reasons, i have absolute confidence the involved parties will smell money enough to put the work in and undo any knots standing in the way of a re-release.

here, shenmueGAF, do we have a community thread yet?

or psx in december (?).

it's coming. there are very few reasons why it may not happen. regardless of legal entanglements and other such reasons, i have absolute confidence the involved parties will smell money enough to put the work in and undo any knots standing in the way of a re-release.

here, shenmueGAF, do we have a community thread yet?

Yeah man. We've had one for about a year. Although, this thread along with the other kickstarter thread seems to be more active.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779411

I encourage all of you to check out and join the Shenmue dojo forums aswell. Some amazing discussions over there.

ajim

I'm hoping it gets a lot of awareness in Japan so we can get a lot of support from.the Japanese who didn't use kickstarter.

Spaghetti

Still crowd funding? I'm surprised a publisher hasn't done this. Maybe the demand really isnt that high.
a publisher was always very unlikely for the big fat reason that they couldn't own any percentage of the IP. the exact same reason neither sony nor microsoft have offered to bankroll the game.

triple record breaking kickstarter. oh yeah, i'm sure there's no demand at all...

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
All major projects that began with Kickstarter, continued with PayPal: kickstarter.com/discover/categories/games?sort=most_funded

E.g.: Yooka-Laylee, Bloodstained etc...

KIoleIDl.png

Therefore, calling Shenmue 3's PayPal as worrisome, it's not a serious claim. That claim can only work as a title for a click-bait article.

Furthermore, don't start the "SONY is funding this"/"why SONY doesn't fund this already?".
Answer: Shenmue (3) is an IP that belongs to SEGA. So, if you want a company to bankroll it, then ask SEGA!

Why SEGA doesn't fund it?
Answer: because they don't believe in its profit power. They are even skeptical to or not to re-release the first two installments in HD form. Go figure.

Additionally, SONY would only fund/bankroll games they own the IP of (or a percentage of it).

Why did they let Yu Suzuki (YsNet Inc./Shibuya Productions) appear on their E3 stage to announce the Kickstarter?
Answer: because it is an extremely good PR for them in front of the Shenmue fans. It's a feather on cap for them to revive a dead IP, with high demand among the fans, and a myth/legend because most people said it's not going to happen.

For example, I never owned a PlayStation console before, but of course I'm going to buy one now (that is PS4) for the sake of Shenmue 3.

Finally, as Yu Suzuki said Shenmue 3 is for the fans, by the fans. And thus don't expect the corrupted clickbait-addict journalism to treat it well. It's a very easy target for clickbait, and us fans are very sensitive when others talk bad about it (so it's likely we'll lure in, but we mustn't). Even the Official PlayStation Magazine UK fell into that path. Go figure.

Top Bottom