• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Phil Spencer suggests Scorpio will not cost more than $599

Minions

Nope, we ain't crazy. So what if Microsoft are taking a bath (They won't be by release). They need to try and take back the reins of this generation. Pricing themselves out of contention again isn't something they will do.

I don't get this - it's SO powerful how could it be that price! In a year and a quarter when this thing comes out - it won't be. It'll be using seasoned tech that will be shamed by a new PC build - like all console tech these days unfortunately.

You are talking about component prices from 6-8 months from now. The consoles still have to be built for a Holiday launch a little over a year from now. Prices are not going to drop anywhere near that. Two years out, three years out? sure. 6-8 months prices? not a chance.

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
$399

They have to. They just HAVE to. They're losing by far vs PS4 in terms of public perception and in numbers (even though they've been making up good ground recently). They CAN NOT price this more than PS4 Pro and PS4 Pro will be $349 next Christmas,. Even if PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio aren't anywhere near as powerful as each other, it will seem close enough to the public because PS4 Pro is an "upgraded/better PS4" and the Xbox One to Scorpio jump will be viewed the same.

Ban Puncher

2810252-2434714909-large.jpg

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
it's 715$ in today's terms so I don't know why people are freaking out about 599$ ? :)

$715 TODAY vs 1 year from now. Also is $715 for the parts to build a PC? If so then it would be quite a bit less, more like $500-600 (maybe even less) for M$ to manufacture millions of these.

Considering their target market, and the AMD innards of the thing, I don't know how it could even be more than $500 without having a ridiculous profit margin or be plated in gold.

brawly

$399

They have to. They just HAVE to. They're losing by far vs PS4 in terms of public perception and in numbers (even though they've been making up good ground recently). They CAN NOT price this more than PS4 Pro and PS4 Pro will be $399 next Christmas, maybe $449. Even if PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio aren't anywhere near as powerful as each other, it will seem close enough to the public because PS4 Pro is an "upgraded/better PS4" and the Xbox One to Scorpio jump will be viewed the same.

So the Pro will go up in price? Wut. It'll be more expensive, bank on it. Every component is more expensive.

edit: you mean $449 for the Scorpio, not Pro?

ClarkZuckerberg

Neo Member
So the Pro will go up in price? Wut. It'll be more expensive, bank on it. Every component is more expensive.

edit: you mean $449 for the Scorpio, not Pro?

Lol. I stupid. Was thinking Canadian prices (even then, I'm wrong lol). I think $399 is still necessary, but Pro will be $349 next Christmas, maybe still $399 (RRSP).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Haha. Perfect title update.

I'll probobobly but regardless. They had better include the fucking UHD arrive though, as that's the only reason I bought the XBO S even though I already had a D1E.

Also, give us at least 2 gigs, if not 3.

mike4001_

Do we have to do this again? It'll be 399. You can't sell a console successfully above that price.
Microsoft have learnt from history.

All those people who thought the PS4 Pro would be above 399? They were wrong. Prepare to be wrong again if you think different.

I agree.

I give you 449 as a maybe, but 399 is more likely.

Shiggy

The PS4 launched at 399€ and did just great in Europe. It's a fine price.

Yeah, but this is an Xbox. They have to sell their system at a significantly lower price than the PS4 to even have a chance. In Germany, the Xbox One hasn't even outsold the Wii U yet despite being much cheaper and the Wii U being pretty much dead.

cheezcake

A PS4 equivalent gpu at ps4 launch cost $180, the PS4 pro GPU has no direct equivalent but it's a little less powerful than a $180 GPU this year. A Scorpio equivalent GPU is $230 and will fall a bit by release next year. CPU is unknown so can't really comment on that but it really doesn't seem like there's a chance it's over $499, it's not really that powerful a machine for 2017, its basically a little better than what the current consoles were when they were released, relatively speaking.

You are talking about component prices from 6-8 months from now. The consoles still have to be built for a Holiday launch a little over a year from now. Prices are not going to drop anywhere near that. Two years out, three years out? sure. 6-8 months prices? not a chance.
If there isn't a model at 399 then Xbox 1.5 is doomed to a bad start. This is reality, and Microsoft have to fall in line and they will. Save this post and shame me next year if it suits you.

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft and Sony like to feed this narrative. It works to their advantage. "Technobabble + fancy presentation = super powerful console" - has to be expensive right? Price is announced. Consumer reaction - "Oh that's a lot less then I expected what a bargain. Reaches for wallet"

Learn from history. Realize the price that the market can sustain is the price that Microsoft has to hit. Sony didn't put a bloody 4K optical drive in their 4K console because they knew they had to hit 399. And this is the team that is way out in front.

I don't understand how this is shocking...several people on gaf and online have been suggesting the scorpio would likely be in the price range of 399.99-599.99 anybody who thinks its going to be any higher then that is crazy imo.

I think it'll have a launch price that's higher than the Pro this year.

But like the thread change says, we won't have a "get a second job" situation either of course. I'm banking on $450 for the 1Tb version and maybe $520 for 2Tb.
It's a premium SKU so expect something a little pricey, especially with all the tech MS seemingly want to put in Scorpio.

Oculus VR on this will require powerful innards for a good experience.

I see the knives are out again. Maybe if we change the title to Sony and Shu we can start hyping up that year of Dreams Mk III and everyone jumps on the happy positive train? Then again maybe not, lol

Just seen that IGN posted an hour interview with Phil as well though I cant watch it right now, probably going over similar ground here.

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/09/30/ign-happy-hour-phil-spencer-special

Really? Thread seems quite civil to me so far.

Trup1aya

People need to look st the whole picture.

When Scorpio launches, MS will still be selling xb1s and making a profit on ever Xb1s sold. The xb1s is the mass market device and it will be priced accordingly.

I think MS has a lot of wiggle room with the Scorpio- and they there's a chance they'll utilize all of it:

$400 for the entry level Scorpio. $500 for the elite version.

I'm not so sure MS will be totally opposed to losing money on early Scorpio sales. Initially, I don't think they expect to sell it at a high enough volume to make that an issue. Given their comments about wanting to end "hardstops" between generations, I think the Scorpio is MS' Trojan horse into Gen 9. When xb2s and PS5s launch, Scorpio will take the xb1s' place as the min spec, mass market priced hardware, and MS will already have an installed base capable of playing gen 9 games.

2016, $299 for PS4 slim, add $100, you get premium PS4 Pro
2017, OneS will be at $199, add $100, you get premium Xbox one, Scorpio will be $299.

OH wow. NO. If microsoft is pricematching Sony, it's either going to be a lot shittier specs wise, or it's going to be a huge financial loss for Microsoft. Which shareholders don't want. Hell they don't even want the Xbox anymore. I'm estimating at least 499. Most likely 599 if they keep their promises and wait for new architecture. But this is gon be one hell of a fight. Can't wait to see what that Scorpion is gonna have under that hood.

peteeM

No way they will sell this thing for $499 when the PS4 Pro will be $349 or less next year.

$399 for the 1tb model.

jelly

Pretty easy to predict, make more money on bigger hard drive options that some people prefer to buy and enthusiast early buyers.

500GB Scorpio $399
2TB Scorpio $499
1TB SSD Scorpio $599 Limited Edition

wapplew

OH wow. NO. If microsoft is pricematching Sony, it's either going to be a lot shittier specs wise, or it's going to be a huge financial loss for Microsoft. Which shareholders don't want. Hell they don't even want the Xbox anymore. I'm estimating at least 499. Most likely 599 if they keep their promises and wait for new architecture. But this is gon be one hell of a fight. Can't wait to see what that Scorpion is gonna have under that hood.

Base on how closely MS follow PS4 success playbook, like PS4, Scorpio will be stronger and cheaper, at launch.
$299-$349 MSRP and will come with 2-3 games within a month, just like OneS.
Xbox was not something shareholders want before, but Xbox is the major Windows 10 ecosystem pusher now., it fit their internal goal, I think they are willing to sell at cost or take a lost to play the long game, just like free windows 10 upgrade.

Jumeira

Banned
I'm hoping for min spec at 499, I want this thing to be a beast, and the reality of that is cost. Don't skimp on parts please.

There's no way MS would fall into the $599 hole. That price is simply poison to console gamers.

The Xbone launched at $499, with Kinect and didn't do well. However, that was also in part because the cheaper competitor was more powerful. MS may feel more confident charging more because Scorpio will be the strongest piece of kit.

My head says it'll launch at $499, because it is being promoted as premium, but they really need to move away from that Xbone launch price. It;s just another way of showing they learned from teh OGBone launch debacle.

$449/£399.

If they really wanted to capture mind-share. $399. I genuinely think that losing $50 on the unit at launch will bag them millions of extra sales.

Genio88

Personally don't care about it cause i'm fine with my fat Xbox One and powerful PC, though I think Scorpio won't cost more than 450$ at launch in fall 2017, really those 6TF will be achievable with a custom version of a GPU like the AMD RX480, which costs 200$ to the customer right now, so in about one year from now will be much cheaper, especially for Microsoft, also they know price is important so they'll do everything to keep it as low as possible, to me it'll be 400$ and at most 450$

SgtCobra

399 would be fine really, I'm not banking on it though.

I see the knives are out again. Maybe if we change the title to Sony and Shu we can start hyping up that year of Dreams Mk III and everyone jumps on the happy positive train? Then again maybe not, lol
Oh god, the overreaction here.

Top Bottom