• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Phil Spencer suggests Scorpio will not cost more than $599

Onemic

If its 400 bucks it's either that the scorpio wont have as powerful a GPU as they say it will or they're gonna be taking a loss on each unit.

I can see they mixing HDD sizes and even 4k BD/Non 4k bd for a range of price points but there's no way the base model is over 400, if not lower because I have a feeling they will match the current pro price at the time.

I'm guessing $350 for 500gb and non 4k BD, and $50 increments for extra 500gb up to 2.5tb and the other models with 4k also.

I can see they mixing HDD sizes and even 4k BD/Non 4k bd for a range of price points but there's no way the base model is over 400, if not lower because I have a feeling they will match the current pro price at the time.

I'm guessing $350 for 500gb and non 4k BD, and $50 increments for extra 500gb up to 2.5tb and the other models with 4k also.

Do you really think the Pro will be the same price it is at launch when Scorpio launches? Scorpio could launch a year after Pro.

Ganondolf

It will be around £350 in the UK for the lowest model. at £400 it wont sell as the ps4 pro will be a year old and probably about £280.

although it seems like it can't be done because of the cost of the parts its worth remembering that its still a year away.

Marlenus

They can't.

Delusion is starting to set in, it's best to avoid it at all costs to decrease the amount of disappointment when its announced at $499+

Quite easily actually. 12GB of ram uses fewer chips now than the 8GB did at Ps4 launch, it is also cheaper per GB so the memory costs will be less than OG PS4.

It also seems like they are dropping ESram which means the APU probably won't be much larger than the current APU and will probably have higher yields making each chip cheaper than at the launch of OG Xbox One.

It won't have Kinect bundled by default either so that saves some money.

I doubt this console will cost more to manufacture than OG ps4 or Xbox one did so there is no reason to think a $399 price is not feasible.

Besides if it's too much more than PS4Pro it won't sell well and that can quite easily be $349 next year with a holiday sale price of $299.

Scorpio would get slaughtered by a $299 pro if it launches much above $399. If MS think it will sell well at $499 or $599 they are the delusional ones.

You people joke, but I've seen people bet money that it'll be no less than $700.

There's a LOT of clueless people on the internet. It often makes me wonder how they get by in life ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I remember months ago someone arguing with me that the Scorpio wouldn't even be as powerful as the OG PS4 lol. They were serious too!

gamz

I love this quote about adding 4K player:

It was one of the reasons we made the physical media decision that we did,” he says in response to a statement about slow internet speeds in countries like Australia and New Zealand. “I know that if you look at usage on the box, you would say ‘Hey, everybody is watching YouTube, everybody is watching Netflix. Why would you do anything physical?’ But I do think markets where bandwidth capabilities and caps, and cost is prohibitive. So we wanted to make the decision that there would be physical media. I think for us games and the native rendering of 4K games is going to be important for Scorpio, which obviously alleviates any kind of need to stream. But I think we’ve been conscious that not everybody lives in a bandwidth happy, uncapped world.”

SenkiDala

$499

They aren't dumb enough to launch a console at $599 or above.

End of story.

What end of story? Because you said so?

Common, they are totally able to launch a console at 599$. Since the beggining they're marketing it like a Premium/Elite console. The ELITE controller of the Xbox One costs 150$. With such a price for a controller, why 599$ for a console would be unbelievable?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'll stick with my initial prediction, 2 SKUs..$399 1TB, $499 3TB + Elite controller.

I just can't see it selling for $399, unless MS is willing to accept the loss per unit. I personally think it'll sell for $499, but at $450, it would be a pleasant surprise. The specs between the Scorpio and the PS4 Pro isn't a $50 difference, but I understand those who say they have to sell it at $399 because of the competition coming next holiday season.

sirronoh

Microsoft's PR has done a great job on this and other talking points recently. As long as they continue talking up the potential of Scorpio while being vague on pricing, we can speculate all day long about the price that sounds best to us which makes us want the system even more.

Certainly nothing wrong with that but I imagine Microsoft will hold off on announcing the price for as long as possible to ride this publicity wave.

gamz

Microsoft's PR has done a great job on this and other talking points recently. As long as they continue talking up the potential of Scorpio while being vague on pricing, we can speculate all day long about the price that sounds best to us which makes us want the system even more.

Certainly nothing wrong with that but I imagine Microsoft will hold off on announcing the price for as long as possible to ride this publicity wave.

And since it's a year away the costs will go down a tad to. Kinda hard to give a hard answer when it's a year away.

I just can't see it selling for $399, unless MS is willing to accept the loss per unit. I personally think it'll sell for $499, but at $450, it would be a pleasant surprise. The specs between the Scorpio and the PS4 Pro isn't a $50 difference, but I understand those who say they have to sell it at $399 because of the competition coming next holiday season.
If the render is accurate the apu has the same size of xbone at launch, so no extra cost there.

The memory is probably bigger but now 12gb should be cheaper than 8 three years ago, same for HDD sizes.

So they shouldn't have any trouble in matching the launch price.

Elandyll

Banned
$499-$599 is what I expect, the S still being sold alongside.
$499 is the far more likely candidate (including a 5.5-6Tf GPU, a new CPU gen @ high clock, more Ram, a 1 or 2Tb HDD and a 4KUHD drive), unless MS decides they really are targeting the high end gamer that normally spend their money on PC gear (not sure that strategy would really work).

If $399, expect constrained specs (same 8Gb of Ram) and/ or no physical drive.

$499 minimum, more like $549/599.

Everything is priced on the same scale. If a PS4 Pro is $399, and a low/mid spec PC is $999, and Scorpio's performance falls somewhere in between, then most likely so will its price.

Sony set out to make an affordable solution for playing current generation games on a modern 4K TV that didn't make the games look stretched out and shitty, and they look to have achieved that. I don't think Microsoft are trying to do the same thing.

I think they're trying to make a premium, luxury enthusiast product to sit alongside their Elite controller. If the controller costs $149, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the console came in over $600.

DevilFox

I bet on €499 and I don't see it selling really well at that price, for a good number of reasons. To be competitive, they should aim at €399. €599 would be a suicide, might as well shut down the gaming division lol.

Kacho

Originally I was thinking they'd shoot for $399 but those comments make it sound like it'll be $499 at the very least. If their aim at launch is enthusiasts only that might be ok since you're paying a premium price for performance and not an unwanted peripheral device.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Even MS probably won't know the price for at least another 6 months to see how the tech landscape plays out in terms of fabrication and pricing.

They probably figure $499 on the higher end and the cheaper it can get before launch the better.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Even MS probably won't know the price for at least another 6 months to see how the tech landscape plays out in terms of fabrication and pricing.
Definitely. But I think it's safe to assume (no matter what part costs are next summer) they want to be as aggressive as possible with pricing to give this thing a fighting chance.

Vanillalite

Definitely. But I think it's safe to assume (no matter what part costs are next summer) they want to be as aggressive as possible with pricing to give this thing a fighting chance.

Yeah, but this thread is full of people confident they know it will be or won't be X price.

Like a thread full of the ghost of Miss Cleo.

thelastword

Banned
So if it won't cost more than $599.00, then I guess they don't want to cross the $600.00 threshold, so that means 599.00 is very much possible on one of their sku's.

So I see it as;
599.00 - 2TB,
549.00 - 1TB
500.00 - 500GB

People have to understand, you are not going to get the best uncompressed pixels, native 4k games, a UHD drive and perhaps 12Gb of memory or more for $400.00.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I can't see anyone ever attempting a $599 console again unless the thing shoots out life like holograms or something.

When you're talking about installment bases that reaches into the 60, 80 and 100 million dollar units, you're talking sub 200 dollars.

Xbox One S is way way way more likely going to be the console that takes Xbox into that future for most mainstream gamers. In that aspect, we're not looking at a situation like with PS3. For that machine launching at 500-600 dollars was a problem because there was no real alternatives.

With Scorpio they can introduce a more expensive product for those people who can afford VR, 4K TVs, which is going to be a fraction of people compared to the masses. The difference is that when you upgrade, from a Xbox One S to a Scorpio in 3-4 years or how long it takes for people, you're games, content, and DLC will carry over. It's more apt to look at in relations to ecosystems.

sirronoh

And since it's a year away the costs will go down a tad to. Kinda hard to give a hard answer when it's a year away.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that Microsoft needs to announce a price soon or even within the next 9 months.

What I'm saying is that because price is not going to be announced anytime soon, more devoted gaming communities like this one will keep suggesting how likely it is the price is close to $399 whether that's based in reality or not. The more we speculate about how great this system could be -- based on very little hard data but enough to get us to imagine the possibilities, the more we rationalize potentially purchasing the system which makes it less likely we'll back out once the hard data (price, specs, etc.) does get announced next year.

It really is a brilliant PR strategy because it takes advantage of our natural tendency to speculate and ultimately desire new gaming hardware.

Vanillalite

Call 1-800-311-1412

Ask for the ghost of Miss Cleo

Tell them GAF sent you!

giphy.gif

gamz

Agreed. I'm not suggesting that Microsoft needs to announce a price soon or even within the next 9 months.

What I'm saying is that because price is not going to be announced anytime soon, more devoted gaming communities like this one will keep suggesting how likely it is the price is close to $399 whether that's based in reality or not. The more we speculate about how great this system could be -- based on very little hard data but enough to get us to imagine the possibilities, the more we rationalize potentially purchasing the system which makes it less likely we'll back out once the hard data (price, specs, etc.) does get announced next year.

It really is a brilliant PR strategy because it takes advantage of our natural tendency to speculate and ultimately desire new gaming hardware.

Word.

I am expecting between $399-$499. In fact I bet there will be a $499 version with bigger HDD and an elite controller. Something over the top.

$599 is really just a dream at this point.

It will be 399.

The margin will be super tight or a little bit in the red or it will be the gimped model that is missing something but I don't see ms NOT offering a $399 model.

If PS4 pro can hit that in 2016 I don't see why a similar console a year later using next years parts to offer a better experience couldn't be 399 next november

paulogy

Some of you are really funny (or just exceptionally optimistic).

As I said already here, to me this signals it will launch for $499, or more with beefier SKUs.

That post also links to the original interview where Phil's quote came from.

Trojan

$399 is very unlikely for the price of the Scorpio unless MS gimps it with cheaper components. People are going to be disappointed one way or another if they think that's the price.

Top Bottom