• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Phil Spencer suggests Scorpio will not cost more than $599

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I think it'll be about £500.

Can't see it being £350-400 and anything over £600 is ridiculous for a console. If you're paying that much you might as well build a PC.

I think it'll be about £500.

Can't see it being £350-400 and anything over £600 is ridiculous for a console. If you're paying that much you might as well build a PC.

500 quid?! That's nearly $650.
They'd need balls of steel to price it that high.

convo

499 seems about right, i don't see them lowering it further than 450. They would just eat the costs again if they sold it at 399 or lower. Is making a profit on hardware just not a thing they would care about in a year?

If it's indeed $399 then Sony probably drops the PRO down to $299 to maintain their lead. I'm more curious to see if MS has the gall to secure exclusive 4K versions of Battlefield or CoD or any other of next falls big 3rd party games.

gaming_noob

If it's indeed $399 then Sony probably drops the PRO down to $299 to maintain their lead. I'm more curious to see if MS has the gall to secure exclusive 4K versions of Battlefield or CoD or any other of next falls big 3rd party games.

Doubt EA or Activision would agree to that.

I can't wait to see what Rare's cooking as they've been hiring over the last year. Banjo 3 teaser at E3 would blow up GAF.

Its hilarious how many people think MS is willing to lose so much money for a cheaper price.

It costs more than 5 bucks for these powerful specs and 1 year doesnt cut the costs that drastically.

TBiddy

Key words, for PS.

It's not the price that makes a difference, it's the brand. 399€ for Scorpio would be a great price.

Yeah, but this is an Xbox. They have to sell their system at a significantly lower price than the PS4 to even have a chance. In Germany, the Xbox One hasn't even outsold the Wii U yet despite being much cheaper and the Wii U being pretty much dead.

They won't stand a chance, even so. Well yes, if they gave it away for 100€, perhaps. But a launch price of 399€ for a console, significantly more powerful than the PS4 Pro is fine.

It won't be any higher than $499.

For the base model anyway. Premium SKU's with bigger hard drives, custom paint jobs etc don't count.

They have a well priced Xbox One S they just launched. A console that plays all the same games in upscaled 4k. So you have an option. My guess is 500, but 450 would make me happy.

What wouldn't make me happy is if they try to get it down to 400 and have garbage quality control like 360 and PS4. Make the controllers more durable, make it less noisy. The frame on the PS4 is flimsy as fuck. There is no doubt they cut corners to get the price down to 400.

Anything over $400 means it wont achieve enough sales to make a dent. At $600 its a niche product at best and would be a failure in furthering the Xbox platform to any meaningful degree. To that end, $600 makes no sense, especially with 20/20 hindsight allowing them to see how badly PS3 fared when trying that price point. Which means the higher up knuckleheads at MS will probably ignore Spencer's advice and try launching Scorpio at $600.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imo it will cost 399 with basic configuration(smaller hd and maybe something else) and no games.

NHale

So Phil Spencer in June says this ""We're not talking about price right now, but it is a more premium piece of hardware." and ""Scorpio is for the person who's got a 4K television, who's really focused on 4K gaming. It's going to be a premium price over what we're selling this one for, and both of them will exist in the market at the same time. Scorpio is for your 4K gamer. And that's what we designed it for."

And people here really believe it's going to be $399? How? The fact that he's being so clear about this being a premium console should really tell you what their pricing strategy will be. This interview also points clearly at that, so if this is less than $499 it will be a surprise even to Phil Spencer.

Minions

I think people are looking at this as a new console generation, rather than a higher powered console revision. Microsoft is supplementing their standard console sales. Its targeted at a high end market of people who are early adopters of 4K TVs. They expect to sell lots of the standard Xbox One model even after the Scorpio Launches, and the Scorpio is just targeted at a smaller segment of their userbase.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
$499 with a Jaguar CPU
71nqQQy.png

Javin98

Banned
How can MS fit 6tf, 12gb, 1tb, uhd blu-ray under $400?

$399 is not a premium price.
I'm wondering the same. The minimum price the Scorpio will launch at is $449. It is extremely unlikely Microsoft will be willing to take a loss on the hardware and I can't see manufacturing costs being below $400.

Rodelero

Every thread that discusses the Scorpio's price is really weird. There are an amazing number of people who think/wishthink that the Scorpio will both blow the PS4 Pro out of the water on specs and still hit the $400 pricetag. I think this very unlikely. Personally I think it is far more likely that:

1) A lot of people's speculation regarding other components like the RAM and CPU are radically off, and that the Scorpio's CPU and RAM are far closer in line with the original Xbox One's. This seems reasonable enough to me, it would explain why Microsoft haven't talked about these components but have been very specific about the GPU, and it would explain why they've almost entirely talked about it as a 4K machine.

or

2) This thing's lowest SKU (probably 1TB) will be at $500 minimum.

A lot of people in here seem convinced that Microsoft will hit the high specs and $400 because 'they have to', which totally ignores the reality of high end hardware equals high end money. Microsoft have been aggressive with their pricing over the last few years, yes, but they haven't been selling the things at a massive loss either.

Ushay

Title is totally not what the article states..

Anyhow its good that the price won't be astronomical, I'm hoping for sub $500, ideally $450.

SenkiDala

The 3DO was 699$ at launch, right?

But yes he is probably refering at the PS3 launch price, and since the rumors about the Scorpio started I'm betting on 599$, so I continue to think so: 599$.

The Neo is $399 at probably a marginal profit.

The Scorpio has an extra 4GB RAM, so $50 max for that. And likely a bigger APU, so another $50 there.

That's being generous too. So couple in 1 year later and it's not going to be any more than $100 over the current Neo price.

It wouldn't sell in any reasonable numbers either if it was more, and the hardware doesn't warrant it anyway. It's decent but still only a 'medium' specced machine.

TBiddy

The Neo is $399 at probably a marginal profit.

The Scorpio has an extra 4GB RAM, so $50 max for that. And likely a bigger APU, so another $50 there.

That's being generous too. So couple in 1 year later and it's not going to be any more than $100 over the current Neo price.

It wouldn't sell in any reasonable numbers either if it was more, and the hardware doesn't warrant it anyway. It's decent but still only a 'medium' specced machine.

Also keep in mind that the PS4 was 100$ cheaper than the XB1 (if we remove the Kinect, they were priced similarly), while being ~40% faster. The Scorpio is ~40% faster than the PS4 Pro. It's not unfathomable that they'd cost about the same.

platocplx

Its probably going to be 499 or 450 imo. I dont think they will touch 399 and this time around they can actually justify the 499 price point.

ffvorax

I bet 499€.
599€ is nonsense if they want someone to buy it, and 399€ it's the classic "that should be the perfect price" that never happen.

So prepare your wallet if you want one! :D

Top Bottom