• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shocking News: Phil Spencer suggests Scorpio will not cost more than $599

Marlenus

Guys, this is not going to be $399.

PS4 Pro managed to get there because it has inferior hardware, slighlty overclocked cpu, same ram and cut out 4K Bluray altogether.

This will have a massive bump in CPU and GPU, new Ram AND 4k Bluray.

It doesnt matter if its a year away, its not launching @ $399 lol

Here is the thing, from a cost pov the bump in cpu and GPU is pretty irrelevant, what matters is die size and yield. In a years time the process will be better than now so there is no reason to think the Scorpio will cost more to manufacture than the PS4pro Apu costs now.

The ram, while more expensive than Ps4pro, will still be cheaper than it was in the OG PS4 and that was $399.

I doubt the base model will cost more than $449 and I think $399 is likely. The tech today can get you a nearly 6Tflop GPU with 8GB ram for ~$250 at retail.

Any more than $449 is too high when PS4pro is going to be at holiday prices.

Guys, this is not going to be $399.

PS4 Pro managed to get there because it has inferior hardware, slighlty overclocked cpu, same ram and cut out 4K Bluray altogether.

This will have a massive bump in CPU and GPU, new Ram AND 4k Bluray.

It doesnt matter if its a year away, its not launching @ $399 lol

A year is an eternity for technology. There's a reason MS is waiting a year to release their 6TFLOP console. It's all about costs.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Mods should have said $799, because the 3DO launched at that price
Wait what, I remember the 3DO launch but not that price, granted I was a youngin..I thought it was 599 or 699, it was seriously 800 bucks? Lol.

Quotient

I personally don't want a premium console, a premium console is in my mind a PC, i.e. if i am going to spend more than $399, i might as well just upgrade my PC.

I think Microsoft will aim for the $399 price point with a XBS dropping in price to $249. After all the Scorpio is just going to run the same games as the XBS just in higher resolution, higher quality textures etc.

Wagram

$399 seems to be a given.

It's a good price-point for a new console.

By Fall 2017 the components needed for the Scorpio should be much cheaper to mass produce anyways, so $399 should be feasible.

I very much doubt it's going to be $399 if they want true 4k. This is a premium console. Almost a guaranteed $499.99 device.

Look at it logically: they keep bracing us for a relatively steep price point by constantly invoking the word "premium," but they're also saying that the price won't be outrageous.

That sounds a lot like $499 to me.

Kaydan

Banned
Honestly at this point 400$ or 500$ won't make much of a difference, especially for the crowd this product is aimed for. I'll be buying it regardless.

Symbiotx

To hit the performance that they're touting, there's no way it will be 300 or 400. I think you guys will be sorely disappointed if you expect it to be so low. Either that, or the performance difference will not be very big.

TalonJH

$499-$599
(probably $499)
Since they have a standard console on the market, they can get away with those price points.

Whatever it costs, hopefully it pushes down the price of the One S because I only care about getting an Xbox One for 360 games, Master Chief Collection, and Sunset Overdrive. Any other exclusives I care about are on PC.

cakely

I still think it's going to be $399.

It's a good strategy to set expectations for a higher priced console, it will look great when it comes out at $399 ... more than a year from now.

$399 for that hardware is a very good deal.

Problem though is that by time it comes out, the PS4 NEO might drop to $349 or even $299, making it harder for people to give up that sweet deal.

New002

To hit the performance that they're touting, there's no way it will be 300 or 400. I think you guys will be sorely disappointed if you expect it to be so low. Either that, or the performance difference will not be very big.

It's like some people are intentionally setting themselves up to be disappointed and/or pissed. Spencer said not over $600...so it could be as high as $599. If a number that high is already on the table...I'm not sure why people are banking on $300 or $400. I'd be happy to be wrong for sure, but it doesn't seem like a realistic expectation.

Matthew23

November 2017:

Xbox One S 1TB - $250 (maybe game bundled in?)
Xbox One S 2TB - $350 (maybe game bundled in?)

Scorpio 1.5 TB - $450
Scorpio 3 TB - $550

This is pretty close to what I expect. I don't see any way MS would price Scorpio more than $100 above PS4P.

$399 is probably the magic number for consoles to sell consistently, but I think Scorpio is gonna sell out for the first holiday regardless of starting price. $449 as the base model and a game will do just fine.

xlordxerxes

Neo Member
If that is the price point I don't see it running true 4K they state it will. If anything it will upscale games. PC's over a grand can run games at 4K but not natively

Zeta Oni

November 2017:

Xbox One S 1TB - $250 (maybe game bundled in?)
Xbox One S 2TB - $350 (maybe game bundled in?)

Scorpio 1.5 TB - $450
Scorpio 3 TB - $550

Agree with the One S, but with the Scorpio I'd say $499 for the entry-level with maybe 1.5 TB, and then $599 for a 3 TB with the Elite controller included.

Rizific

Why dance around the subject of including the uhd drive? If it's being labeled a "premium" console and the S already has it, how TF could you NOT include it?

quest

Not Banned from OT
It will come down to what CPU they use. I think 399.99 is the price point if they use a cat family CPU. They will need to eat some money on each unit at that price but no real choice. If it is a Zen then it will be 449.99 and they make small profit off of each unit. With a Zen it can easily justify the extra cost to the core gamers by offering 1080p/60 on almost every game. We are not going to get pricing or launch date till E3 going to be a long wait. I fully expect a technical preview like Sony did for the PS4 this up coming spring.

bastardly

449 bundled with like 3 games. PS4 pro will be 349 by then bundled as well. I can't see them making the same mistake of being so overpriced against sony again, no matter the power difference, especially when a regular xbox one will play the same games.

n0razi

I can't see why anyone would want this... A $299 S can play all the games ($200 OG if you are really on a budget). At $600, it makes more sense to build a gaming PC for the same price thats 2x faster

- i3 6100 ($100)
- 8gb ddr4 ($40)
- Motherboard ($60)
- 256gb SSD or 1tb HDD ($100)
- GTX 960/1050 or R470 ($150)
- case/PSU ($100)
- windows license ($50)

I can't see why anyone would want this... A $299 S can play all the games ($200 OG if you are really on a budget). At $600, it makes more sense to build a gaming PC for the same price thats 2x faster

- i3 6100 ($100)
- 8gb ddr4 ($40)
- Motherboard ($60)
- 256gb SSD or 1tb HDD ($100)
- GTX 960/1050 or R470 ($150)
- case/PSU ($100)
- windows license ($50)

Lol. Go ahead, find valid links for all of those, and who the hell wants a gaming PC with a gaming monitor?
Whacky dreamer.
I realistically see this thing costing 500-600 bucks pretty easily.

Top Bottom