• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

Played some Skullgirls last night, first in a long time. Forgot how godlike the music, sound effects and visuals are. Seriously, it's kinda unbelievable.

Loona

kind of want some more normal looking characters. There is enough freaking looking bitches as it is.

Parasoul should be the postergirl for the series - she passes for normal compared with most others, but she's more involved in the major issue of the setting than most.
A look at the umbrella hints at a world of oddities while her troops point at high-stakes issues in the story. It just seems like a more elegant depiction than frequently showing off the weird stuff on Filia and Cerebella's heads.

It's not unlike how Guilty Gear does it - it's a cast of weirdos, but it's represented by a guy that looks normal-ish, yet a look at him tells you you're not dealing with a "normal" world setting, yet he's knee-deep in his game's "gear" issues.

DLC_Lineup_Uncovered02.png

i want to see what that big huge character is with the giant arm argh!

NEO0MJ

Did we ever see this Issac before? And one of the characters I want to see most is the one on the bottom right. It's just so...freaky.

Chev

Did we ever see this Issac before? And one of the characters I want to see most is the one on the bottom right. It's just so...freaky.

It's Samson. I don't have the links on hand but there are sketches of him. Basically long ago each character was designed with a super mode where their parasites would take over and that's the one for Filia, if you look closely you can see her body lying on top.

Tizoc> Taliesin's a bard from celtic mythology, actually.

Riposte

I have a hard time imagining Skullgirls with that many characters...

What are some summaries of how these new characters are suppose to play like?

Tizoc

It's Samson. I don't have the links on hand but there are sketches of him. Basically long ago each character was designed with a super mode where their parasites would take over and that's the one for Filia, if you look closely you can see her body lying on top.

Tizoc> Taliesin's a bard from celtic mythology, actually.

Ah thanks for the info~

NEO0MJ

What are some summaries of how these new characters are suppose to play like?

Hotgarbage collected a few in this post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48782154&postcount=805

Parasites with control of their host:

I think this one is a fan interpretation of Samson :\

Now I remember this, at least Leviathan. Filia has become Samson's hair, pretty cute. That fanart reminds me of FLCL.

Am I the only one that like B. Dhalia the most of all those designs?

While I wouldn't mind if she wins, I still love Braindrain's design the most.

Here's a post on skullheart containing character information from last night. Good stuff.

So are there still legal issues with using Juju as a character?

I think if it gets to 600, there will be mad rush to 800- especially if 1 dollar ends up equalling 1 vote
I could see the vote itself being an incentive, sure. Tangentially related: when are more in-depth 3rd character bios/playstyle overviews planned to be posted? Post-Big Band (VA is great btw) funding that might help build hype.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
It's clear that there's demand for animating a ton of characters, but making everyone playable would be totally untenable; Have you guys ever thought about integrating an MvC1-style roster of assist-only characters?

Even just one quick attack animation would make these characters feel a whole lot more concrete than just using them as window dressing for the backgrounds. And a small example of what a character's moves would look like would be invaluable in selling a fully-playable spot to characters that maybe aren't the most bombastic of the bunch design-wise, but that have a solid idea behind their playstyle.

NEO0MJ

Have you guys ever thought about integrating an MvC1-style roster of assist-only characters?

But how would they balance that? It would require a huge overhaul of the game's system. Still, nice idea for a sequel. The best we can hope for is a Captain Commando type of character.

Here's a post on skullheart containing character information from last night. Good stuff.

Reading the part on Braindrain makes me want him playable even more.

Brain Drain - No info. Maybe similar to MvC2 Doom.

It's clear that there's demand for animating a ton of characters, but making everyone playable would be totally untenable; Have you guys ever thought about integrating an MvC1-style roster of assist-only characters?

Even just one quick attack animation would make these characters feel a whole lot more concrete than just using them as window dressing for the backgrounds. And a small example of what a character's moves would look like would be invaluable in selling a fully-playable spot to characters that maybe aren't the most bombastic of the bunch design-wise, but that have a solid idea behind their playstyle.

This is a cool idea, especially if they get around $550K which would be too little for them to really try and do a third character, but I don't agree with the reasoning at all. It's a Versus game that's made to have a large cast. Not having a large cast actually detracts from a lot of the game's potential.

Anyway, while this would be cool, I doubt they'd want to do it because Alex was already making concessions by allowing so many of the characters to be voted on in the first place. He already has a plan for how he wants the story to unfold, and the order for the characters' introductions into the game. If we get to the third character, it'll likely be someone that's jumping the gun on their inclusion. Making assist versions of everyone would be doing that on a much larger scale.

Aside from that, if they actually did it, it should work fine. We already have assists, so balancing them shouldn't be too much trouble. It'd be cool to see, but I'd prefer Minette or Isaac, if he can have White Ren's dash.

Loona

I wonder how the math would work out to adjust character power levels for when there's an assist-only teammate, since characters are stronger solo, and weaknen slightly as team size increases.
It might be necessary to include ways to knock out the assist as well, which means a few more frames too.

Reading that Ms. Victoria would reference moves from other franchises intrigues me - again, as an SNK fan I'd like to see a few more nods to favored games, since Capcom and Guilty Gear stuff already gets plenty... closest I can think of is her using her pointer as Elisabeth's riding crop though...

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
But how would they balance that? It would require a huge overhaul of the game's system. Still, nice idea for a sequel. The best we can hope for is a Captain Commando type of character.
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean it as something they should just shoehorn in ASAP, just an idea to maybe keep in mind for Super Skullgirls EX+ Turbo.

I didn't mean to come off as one of those "yo just add this in real quick, how hard could it be?" armchair designers, perish the thought, haha.

alstein

I wonder how the math would work out to adjust character power levels for when there's an assist-only teammate, since characters are stronger solo, and weaknen slightly as team size increases.
It might be necessary to include ways to knock out the assist as well, which means a few more frames too.

Reading that Ms. Victoria would reference moves from other franchises intrigues me - again, as an SNK fan I'd like to see a few more nods to favored games, since Capcom and Guilty Gear stuff already gets plenty... closest I can think of is her using her pointer as Elisabeth's riding crop though...

The first thought that came to my mind on Ms.Victoria was Lizabreasts herself.

I still want a Akatsuki Fritz/Hakumen/Samsho Jubei character in the game somehow- someone who just plays entirely different from the combo heavy folks.

Loona

The first thought that came to my mind on Ms.Victoria was Lizabreasts herself.

well, Heidern comes to mind too, as sometimes he's depicted with a similar item, but doesn't actually use it in battle. I guess stuff the references blade-wielders could work.

I still want a Akatsuki Fritz/Hakumen/Samsho Jubei character in the game somehow- someone who just plays entirely different from the combo heavy folks.

While we're on the topic of a break from the combo heavy stuff: a character with no supers, but who spends bar breaking out of combos instead, kind of like DoA's holds, but with a cost, and whose damage might come from more pondered hits instead of combos, perhaps.
Say what you will about DoA, but it gives you an option to try something while somebody's comboing you (at least on the ground), so you can do more than spectate when you're on the receiving end of a non-infinite combo. Reminds me of how some multiplayer Bomberman game let you stay on the sidelines once you were beat to throw bombs at the remaining players on the arena so you'd still have something to do after losing - fighting games could use more ideas that let a player be active even if he's on the receiving end of an attack.
Maybe a way to affect gravity too if you're being juggled to mess with the opponent...

Painwheel has this thing where she can apparently absorb damage if you hold some of her attack buttons and get attacked during those animations, but who actually activates that, or attacks if (s)he sees the effect?

http://skullheart.com/forums/index....-characters-discussion.106/page-44#post-14889
Annie - Alex and Mike are thinking that when she attacks she has this bad-ass-don't-give-a-fuck look. They are inspired by Sol Badguy in this regard so I guess her play style would be similar to Sol. Mike later on referenced Mito from Rumble Fish 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZnRX2_MK0) in regards to being a little girl with an over sized sword. He also referenced Nayuki (sleepy form) from Eternal Fighter Zero.
Venus Lovelace - Her current play style influences are Vanilla Ice (from Jojo), Midler (from Jojo), (MvC1+2 Venom, and Nero Chaos from Melty Blood. She would be able to teleport around and create portals where her parasite Ab-baddon would come out from to attack.
Feng - A mix of Psylocke/Adon/Makoto(3S)/Jam. She would be an agility based rush down character. The two birds (Phoenixes) in her hair can be used as projectiles to cover her approaches; however, they would have slow start up. Mike mentioned that the projectiles would not have a lot of active frames like Peacocks bombs but would just take a while before the action would be performed. They would probably be hittable as they are coming out.
These sound amazing. I cannot wait for Skullgirls II: I got a bone to pick with you. These characters sound like they are right up my alley.
Not doing cels until we have some tests done and we know that we can make them good. Got an intern working on them, though.

Big Band voicemails are live now-ish, though.
Perfectly understandable
Played some Skullgirls last night, first in a long time. Forgot how godlike the music, sound effects and visuals are. Seriously, it's kinda unbelievable.
It is pretty amazing. I remember opening the game and being dumbfounded as I watched Filia move back and forth. The way her hair animated was insane. I really felt like I was playing a cartoon for a second when I called Parasoul's RC soldier. Reminds me of the first experience with Melee. I watched the opening sequence like three times before I started playing.
Parasoul should be the postergirl for the series - she passes for normal compared with most others, but she's more involved in the major issue of the setting than most.
A look at the umbrella hints at a world of oddities while her troops point at high-stakes issues in the story. It just seems like a more elegant depiction than frequently showing off the weird stuff on Filia and Cerebella's heads.

It's not unlike how Guilty Gear does it - it's a cast of weirdos, but it's represented by a guy that looks normal-ish, yet a look at him tells you you're not dealing with a "normal" world setting, yet he's knee-deep in his game's "gear" issues.
I can't say I disagree with you, but it is what it is.
Issac's playstyle blew my mind...I dont even understand.
Read the description on Skullheart. I don't even know...
He basically gets the end results of his time traveling first, and then you see the preparation for it, which can possibly be upgraded or could be messed up by the opponent.

E: Hey, can someone in the chat ask about getting Isaac White Ren's dash?
Woah

Mike has to use this dash. That look nuts. Looks like Genei Jin(whatever that SF super is) combined with Demitri's afterimages.
I guess Wii U support is not even being considered, even though the patching/submission process for the eshop is WAY more indie friendly than MS.
Definitely one of the things Nintendo got right with the Wii U. Unfortunately the system doesn't have the install base to convince pubs to go in.
I think this one is a fan interpretation of Samson :\
wBkkVAr.jpg
Reminds me of FLCL. I dig it.
It is supposed to be a new age MvC2. :p

I could see the vote itself being an incentive, sure. Tangentially related: when are more in-depth 3rd character bios/playstyle overviews planned to be posted? Post-Big Band (VA is great btw) funding that might help build hype.
The stuff we got is pretty comprehensive. They probably don't want to spoil the story since that stuff is subject to change.... and it's one of the big components of hypothetical sequels.

Why?
Don't give up hope yet. It's a large cast. Surely there is a big hitter waiting for you somewhere in there. Panzerfaust sounds like it going by the Skullheart description.

SerRodrik

Haven't donated yet because I'm awful at this game (and fighting games in general) and because I haven't played much in months, but that Isaac description...damn. If a donation would help us get closer to that (also acceptable: Stanley or Feng) I might have to bite the bullet on this one.

sephi22

jkCYnMWZGtGVH.jpg

j9k9Pl3yuJSWk.jpg
color this right now, and let the funding begin!!

Call me sexist, or whatever, but I want these two just because of their glorious boobies. They speak to the horny 12 year old in me.

Also this came in a week ago. The packaging kind of wrinkled one of the edges but it looks great. For some reason I can't get it to stick to the wall for more than 4 hours. I think my poster sticker thingies have run out of adhesive.

Top Bottom