• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls DLC Crowdsourcing - Completed, $829,829 raised, 4+1 characters funded

I honestly wish I got to see some of the original, non-feedback Parasoul to see how much different she was from the end product. Personally she's my favorite character in the game so seeing what didn't make the cut would be interesting

also, that tournament stream... my god the layout looks bad. Ustream window to Tinychat room with match being in small window. Why.

It was much worse earlier...I gave up after one of the random thumbnail cams was just a dude jerking off.

tumblr_lyhsnjCxyy1qfriu3o1_500.gif

Dreavus

I honestly wish I got to see some of the original, non-feedback Parasoul to see how much different she was from the end product. Personally she's my favorite character in the game so seeing what didn't make the cut would be interesting

also, that tournament stream... my god the layout looks bad. Ustream window to Tinychat room with match being in small window. Why.

Yeah, I got as far as the main page, then closed the page it as quickly as a could. That layout was the worst I have ever seen for any kind of streaming. Seemed to have everything BUT the actual stream itself in prominent view (including random dicks at one point, I'm told).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Have devs explained in this thread/elsewhere why they decided to add in story mode increments instead of just going straight for the next character? Or do they help fund the next character and that just isn't disclosed. I'm curious, because I'd imagine people who've still stuck with the game until now and are funding this probably would just want as many characters as possible.

I don't think it's been said outright, but it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a probable guess.

They mention all the time how they never thought it would get this far. Mike being especially pessimistic and not thinking they'd even get the initial $150K for Squigs.

The different between another $25K and another $200K is huge.

A lot of the fans of the game care about the characters' stories and really want to know what happens next. Having the story mode for the characters is important to them.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Ravid could probably clear it up . . . tomorrow maybe, since I think he's been gone all weekend.

Scores! $348,978, an increase of $5,170... yeah. Subsequently, the five day rolling average has taken an absolute drubbing (lowest day coming in right as a 11k day goes out), dropping down to $8134, and the estimated final total is down to $487,259.40. (Since people are going to ask "where did 24k go?", this estimate is by multiplying the five day rolling average with the number of days remaining and then adding it to the current total. Since the rolling average dropped by about $1.2k, that means the estimated final total drops 17 times $1.2k: or about $20.4. Add in the overestimation of the previous day's total (about $4.2k) and that's where the difference is)

So: Big Band is (still) due in three and a bit days (we're still trending well above the money required to reach him), and we need to see $14,766 per day on average to hit the third character stretch goal.

I don't think it's been said outright, but it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a probable guess.

They mention all the time how they never thought it would get this far. Mike being especially pessimistic and not thinking they'd even get the initial $150K for Squigs.

A lot of the fans of the game care about the characters' stories and really want to know what happens next. Having the story mode for the characters is important to them.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Ravid could probably clear it up . . . tomorrow maybe, since I think he's been gone all weekend.
Must be a hell of a weekend having to negotiate dozens and dozens of contracts while juggling the campaign and the occasional interview.

They really didn't. I completely underestimated the fanbase too. Squigly pretty much rocketed by so quickly that they were caught with their pants down. A third character would have been an EASY lock had the $300+ tiers been price differently and the stages/music were passed up, but two characters, two new tracks and three new stages is absolutely great tbh.

I hope the cells come through...

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
There is so much character variety for this. I really do wish that they can get things worked out, so we can see all of them in the future.

Annie was giving me Sol Badguy vibes from the start. I really want to use her and Isaac.

Dreavus

Scores! $348,978, an increase of $5,170... yeah. Subsequently, the five day rolling average has taken an absolute drubbing (lowest day coming in right as a 11k day goes out), dropping down to $8134, and the estimated final total is down to $487,259.40. (Since people are going to ask "where did 24k go?", this estimate is by multiplying the five day rolling average with the number of days remaining and then adding it to the current total. Since the rolling average dropped by about $1.2k, that means the estimated final total drops 17 times $1.2k: or about $20.4. Add in the overestimation of the previous day's total (about $4.2k) and that's where the difference is)

So: Big Band is (still) due in three and a bit days (we're still trending well above the money required to reach him), and we need to see $14,766 per day on average to hit the third character stretch goal.

I am hoping that the characteristic boom in contributions near the very end of the campaign (if other kickstarter/crowdfunding projects are anything to go by) will help reach that third character, although I have no idea how much it can be expected to be.

I am hoping that the characteristic boom in contributions near the very end of the campaign (if other kickstarter/crowdfunding projects are anything to go by) will help reach that third character, although I have no idea how much it can be expected to be.

Well, it depends if we can get back to the $10k/day trend we had previously. If we're stuck at $5k/day from henceforth, there's pretty much no chance. 10k/day would put it back into $530k-ish range, which is certainly within range to push it over the top. Indiegogo making it difficult to upgrade tiers doesn't help.

Ravidrath

Have devs explained in this thread/elsewhere why they decided to add in story mode increments instead of just going straight for the next character? Or do they help fund the next character and that just isn't disclosed. I'm curious, because I'd imagine people who've still stuck with the game until now and are funding this probably would just want as many characters as possible.

A lot of people wanted more stages, story modes, and Yamane music. And they're relatively cheap compared to the characters, so we felt it made sense to put them in the middle there.

Originally I was going to prioritize characters and make the stage/story modes "floating goals," but no one seemed to grasp the concept and it was just confusing.

Loona

I wonder how Alex has been reacting to these alternate versions/personalities some fans keep inflicting on his characters...

Great news

I heard the VA for Zone was supposedly auditioning for the part, right? Can't wait to hear the voices for Squigs and Leviathan.
I wonder how Alex has been reacting to these alternate versions/personalities some fans keep inflicting on his characters...
I bet he had to be surprised by how well people nailed Annie. The sword definitely helped in that regard.
Is there a method to picking which characters are being made first?
Canonical reasons iirc

It may not seem like it, but that looks to be the reason. Don't know why tbh.

Thores

Canonical reasons iirc

It may not seem like it, but that looks to be the reason. Don't know why tbh.

Squigly is canonical I think, but Big Band was just chosen due to popular demand for a male character, and being the most demanded known male in the SG universe.

NEO0MJ

Squigly is canonical I think, but Big Band was just chosen due to popular demand for a male character, and being the most demanded known male in the SG universe.

Yep. They mentioned how they skipped a few characters to get him in. We know for sure that Umbrella was supposed to be the tenth character.

Loona

I bet he had to be surprised by how well people nailed Annie. The sword definitely helped in that regard.

I meant stuff like Robo Fortune, Republican Double and foul-mouthed Parasoul that keep getting mentioned, and more recently becoming donation encouragements.

Had I conceived that characters, I think part of me would be going "WTF are these people doing to my babies?!...", while being surprised at the life of their own they seem to be getting on other people's minds.

Alas, maskless and rearmed Painwheel from Valentine's ending doesn't seem to have as much traction, that was an evocative image to me.

alstein

How come the Steam code isn't offered below the $30 tier? That's a little dodgy.

Odds are they have to compensate Marvelous, so that's $10-11 roughly right there , the other rewards, they're probably only making about $10 off of that $30 donation.

I meant stuff like Robo Fortune, Republican Double and foul-mouthed Parasoul that keep getting mentioned, and more recently becoming donation encouragements.

Had I conceived that characters, I think part of me would be going "WTF are these people doing to my babies?!...", while being surprised at the life of their own they seem to be getting on other people's minds.

Alas, maskless and rearmed Painwheel from Valentine's ending doesn't seem to have as much traction, that was an evocative image to me.

That's the one I wanted as well. Maybe we get that if it makes $550k?

Loona

Odds are they have to compensate Marvelous, so that's $10-11 roughly right there , the other rewards, they're probably only making about $10 off of that $30 donation.

That's too bad - PSN has no system for gifting, and I'm not buying the game twice, but I know someone that might like the game's aesthetics, so I'll have to wait for the Steam version to get the option.

That's the one I wanted as well. Maybe we get that if it makes $550k?

Everyone else in the Indiegogo page is first in line, even if some seem like joke options (Andy, Minette...).
At most, that Painwheel would have to wait for a sequel, I guess.

Then again, I can barely get a hang of regular Painwheel - chains using Valentine's extended medium attacks are fun though, and since her medium punch uses that saw Painwheel picks up...

The announcer, Josh Tomar, has just offered to do... something, too. But I don't know what he'd do.

Any ideas?
Something involving voices...

Maybe a universal narrator for story mode or something like that? Just taking shots in the dark here.

Ah, I would guess he enjoys that the characters have taken on a life of their own.

If Christina Vee's doing an announcer voice pack then have the announcer voice Cerebella.

While funny as a concept I think it would just be confusing because his announcer voice is so iconic with the actual narration. That and up until now the guest VO's have all sort of worked for their base. Sailor Mouth Parasoul is actually Parasoul's actress, Robo-Fortune is actually Fortune's actress, and Double is already an Eldritch abomination so going Republican doesn't change much in that regard.

The announcer, Josh Tomar, has just offered to do... something, too. But I don't know what he'd do.

Any ideas?

Drunk announcer could be fun.

To throw another idea out, maybe an FGC style bias commentator? Have him talk mad shit about everything. You win, you lose, you happy birthdayed, you paused, whatever, he's talking shit to you for it.

While funny as a concept I think it would just be confusing because his announcer voice is so iconic with the actual narration. That and up until now the guest VO's have all sort of worked for their base. Sailor Mouth Parasoul is actually Parasoul's actress, Robo-Fortune is actually Fortune's actress, and Double is already an Eldritch abomination so going Republican doesn't change much in that regard.

I love Platinum's Announcer in BB.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Drunk announcer could be fun.

To throw another idea out, maybe an FGC style bias commentator? Have him talk mad shit about everything. You win, you lose, you happy birthdayed, you paused, whatever, he's talking shit to you for it.

I love Platinum's Announcer in BB.

I like this the most.

Top Bottom