• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I woke up this morning to my PC being updated to Windows 10 :(

ksdixon

Why would clicking X not be an acceptable solution?

pressing X only closes the message window, it does not have anything to do with addressing the contents of the message.

It would be like on an anti virus screen, you see your scan results, and press x. all you've done is close the anti virus window, you haven't done anything to address the contents of the scan etc.

It's on you people who 'magically get Win10' to actually start reading message windows.

Whompa02

Well I haven't installed Windows 10 yet, but as I stated above, I run long scientific calculations that take usually a week or more. There's too much data generated, (grids in multidimensional spaces) so the programs I use only keep the answer. I've woken up to a update that had erased about a half week of work before. I turned automatic updates off after that, because I need that control. I also have had problems with updates breaking other programs that assumed that a certain bug was going to be there, so I need to be able to avoid mandatory updates.

It doesn't really matter though, because I could just want to not lose my high score in Frogger by restarting my computer. It's my computer, I'm the user, I get to decide what is installed and when.

None of this is backed up on a server/cloud/anything?

No. You asked. So how has it "crippled" you?

There's people naming how companies (not themselves) have had to have workarounds for it, but nothing yet has been irreparable.

Because nothing is completely ruined. Just people sad that Microsoft is forcing the update.

You know, we are working , maybe some of us are posting from their place of work ..but it doesn't change the current problem. people have reasons ( legitimate ) for not wanting to upgrade. why are you dimissing those by saying that "it's work not at home" like you just did and ignore that :
- we could have a software we've bought years ago still working and we want to keep it that way
-some people do work at home

There's people naming how companies (not themselves) have had to have workarounds for it, but nothing yet has been irreparable.

Because nothing is completely ruined. Just people sad that Microsoft is forcing the update.

How many times do you need this answered or do you just conveniently hop over the answers that don't support your argument? That's internet trolling 101 right there.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Honestly after trying window 10 on my Dad's Laptop I don't see the fuss about it and why I should upgrade from 7 to 10.

It's one thing saying W10 is a great OS, it's another thing having it forced down your throat involuntary.

As much as I like the OS, this approach is disgusting. I don't get how it can be defended.

This, I don't get how Microsoft didn't get in trouble for basically tricking people installing an update that tells you about Window 10 as they marked it as an important update when it should be optional.

I had to set my update to manual install so I could untick it as I didn't want 3 GB lost to ad and having it slow my PC down.

bbjvc

because that means just 'cancel' the message box, it is so obvious that the upgrade already scheduled, so how is cancel a message box going to change it. it was like this since day 1 really.

pressing X only closes the message window, it does not have anything to do with addressing the contents of the message.

It would be like on an anti virus screen, you see your scan results, and press x. all you've done is close the anti virus window, you haven't done anything to address the contents of the scan etc.

It's on you people who 'magically get Win10' to actually start reading message windows.

The issue is MS shouldn't have put a copy of W10 and scheduled an install in the first place. Clicking on X should basically close that window and go away, not confirm anything that happened forcefully behind their backs. MS is being rather desperate in ways to get W10 onto every user.

Three

Name some software that got totally ruined by the update and how much irreparable damage it caused to your work life and personal life.

For what it's worth I once had a forced vista update that completely corrupted my drive. All MS did was say oops sorry that was a bad update and pulled it. I lost everything on that drive. :(

Nothing to do with windows 10 but automatic updates are disabled by some for a reason.

yeah i'm sure you've never bitched about your android or ios firmware either

such a double standard

My old samsung Galaxy S2 can't upgrade to the newer android Oses even if it wanted to.
My other android phones , i can disable updates and be done with it ( once and for all )
Also, the way updates work is that you can still use a software coded for android 1.0 on the newer android phone oses if you want.

I'm curious about the double standard you're talking here.

No kidding. The text in that screen is absolutely crystal clear. An upgrade is scheduled, click on the link to cancel it. No standards are being broken, no trickery is afoot. Of course we'll still get people saying otherwise for the next five years, presumably.

Many people not even being able to manage basic reading is why MS has to push updates like this in the first place.

(FWIW I support people sticking with whatever OS they want, of course. If you have real reasons to stick with your old Windows 7 then so be it. At least MS offers an uninstall option if you screwed up and didn't read.)

mxgt

Banned

Fine, but the update still should not be scheduled automatically without the user's consent.

Is this only happening to Windows 7 users? I'm on 8.1 Pro and have never even seen a prompt to upgrade my machine since 10 was released.

Woorloog

Banned

Your defense was utterly idiotic. It is like saying "I got food from supermaker, surely those hungry children in Africa can too".

Even just inconvenience from OS upgrade that is not voluntary (because, IMO, one should expect problems when upgrading but in voluntary process you can prepare) is unacceptable. I downloaded all WiIndows 10 drivers etc. necessary stuff to an USB stick before doing the upgrade. I also had all old drivers saved on the USB stick just in case i'd need to do rollback and something were broken. With automatically done update you may not have time for this.

Especially if things are something there are no solutions. And there sure seem to be cases like that.

One guy here said his WiFi stopped working, with no solutions from tech support. Let's say that was your only internet connection (unlikely but possible), so how are you going to get help for that?
My brother's laptop hasn't worked as well since installing Windows 10, and he ain't tech-savvy so fixing the problems is really difficult (and i don't see him enough to be able help, or for long enough for that matter)

Just because things worked fine for you is no excuse to defend possibly problem-causing automatic system. If it were guaranteed to be problem free with really 100% compatibility, it would be more palatable but still unacceptable because it would not be voluntary.

And before someone suggest "But you probably let games and other things automatically update":
1) You can disable these with guaranteed systems.
2) These are updates within the program, not updates that replace the whole thing with another.

gaugebozo

None of this is backed up on a server/cloud/anything?
It isn't because part of the software (the part that generates the grid) is written by other people, and everything is stored only in memory by that software. I only have access to the output, which I do back up.

bbjvc

The issue is MS shouldn't have put a copy of W10 and scheduled an install in the first place. Clicking on X should basically close that window and go away, not confirm anything that happened forcefully behind their backs. MS is being rather desperate in ways to get W10 onto every user.

This is the case for all upgrade/patch, I guess weather this is acceptable depend on how you define win10, Weather its a new product or can be seen as a patch/upgrade to your currently version of windows.

Malechai

normally it would be but in this case the dialog explicitly says the upgrade is scheduled to happen. so to me, clicking X is just closing the informational window, not declining the upgrade.

Okay, then show me that they are monetizing google does? If you can't you are wrong.

There's no way to know what data they are sending back to their servers as it is all encrypted. There is no way to prove or disprove what kind of data that they are receiving unless somebody decrypts it and takes a look at it, or if Microsoft shows you what type of data they are collecting from you, which will never happen.

ksdixon

Pressing X DOES close that window and make it go away, but it doesn't change anything about the schedualled upgrade. You have to actually READ the message before blindly pressing OK or X. It's on you people. They even made the schedualled upgrade time bloody MASSIVE, and put a time to reshedule or cancel it all together directly underneath it.

No they are not forcing it on people, people are just apparently too dumb to read the message window and just assume they've cancelled it. MS are going to put it as an important update etc, because they want to support one version of Windows, not babysit morons who don't know or are too stuck in their ways to move on from XP, Vista, 7, and skipped 8.

Win10 is so much easier for these kind of people. Something wrong? Reset This PC/Keep All Files, you get an uptodate fresh install of Win10 direct from MS's servers, your files are kept safe. At most spend 5 minutes reinstalling software programs and BOOM, computer's fixed, no need to call Johnny to come round to fix it because 'it's just not working/it's slow/i didn't do anything to it!'.

Calabi

Get used to it. That's where it's going. Chrome doesn't ask you if you want to update. Eventually it'll be the same for all software. Google started the rapid software cycle and it ain't going away man.

I know and my Android tablet is fucked up because of a forced update. It's great this tech is.

gamz

There's no way to know what data they are sending back to their servers as it is all encrypted. There is no way to prove or disprove what kind of data that they are receiving unless somebody decrypts it and takes a look at it, or if Microsoft shows you what type of data they are collecting from you, which will never happen.

But it's well known that google does this and yet MS doesn't. So...

I mean how many people send data from Dr. Watson for Windows 7 problems? Probably not many and it's a poor way to see what the hell is going on with your OS.

Whompa02

How many times do you need this answered or do you just conveniently hop over the answers that don't support your argument? That's internet trolling 101 right there.

So are personal attacks without providing anything to contribute to the conversation. That's not good for the exercise. I didn't hop over anyone who answered the question.

I asked how has anything been crippled by this update, and I got one or two good answers about temporary problems, and then a select few of just people claiming their "rights and freedom" without any actual discussion.

It isn't because part of the software (the part that generates the grid) is written by other people, and everything is stored only in memory by that software. I only have access to the output, which I do back up.

Finally a legitimate concern. That is 100% a problem. If there's no workaround for that, then that just sucks.

So are personal attacks without providing anything to contribute to the conversation. That's not good for the exercise. I didn't hop over anyone who answered the question.

I asked how has anything been crippled by this update, and I got one or two good answers about temporary problems, and then a select few of just people claiming their "rights and freedom" without any actual discussion.

Personal attacks... Lol. You asked how does it bother your work earlier in the thread. I answered: well you know, I can't work if I update. I didn't say a word about rights. So then you hopped over my answer like twice. And I wasn't the only one with the same software related issue. Keep digging that hole.

Pressing X DOES close that window and make it go away, but it doesn't change anything about the schedualled upgrade. You have to actually READ the message before blindly pressing OK or X. It's on you people. They even made the schedualled upgrade time bloody MASSIVE, and put a time to reshedule or cancel it all together directly underneath it.
BUT why was the message even there ? why was the forced upgrade even imposed ?
It shouldn't have been forced behind everyone backs.
No they are not forcing it on people, people are just apparently too dumb to read the message window and just assume they've cancelled it. MS are going to put it as an important update etc, because they want to support one version of Windows, not babysit morons who don't know or are too stuck in their ways to move on from XP, Vista, 7, and skipped 8.
People are too dumb to read ? really ? that's a fact and it's abused by all kind of scammers since years and years. M$ convenientely abused that fact when they made that pop-up message window since all the previous windows could be ignored by clicking X.
It was done on purpose and that's not something to applaude.
Win10 is so much easier for these kind of people. Something wrong? Reset This PC/Keep All Files, you get an uptodate fresh install of Win10 direct from MS's servers, your files are kept safe. At most spend 5 minutes reinstalling software programs and BOOM, computer's fixed, no need to call Johnny to come round to fix it because 'it's just not working/it's slow/i didn't do anything to it!'.

What you're describing is an utopia when it works and a nightmare when it doesn't.
I'll say without a doubt that it doesn't work that often as your post seems to imply.

Woorloog

Banned
Get used to it. That's where it's going. Chrome doesn't ask you if you want to update. Eventually it'll be the same for all software. Google started the rapid software cycle and it ain't going away man.

When i chose Chrome as my browser, i accepted it is auto-updating. Indeed, that was one reason i chose it (that was before Firefox was auto-updating, which made keeping FF up to date pain the ass, a really necessary feature in a browser).

However, those are only updates within a program. Now, if Chrome suddenly told it wants to upgrade to "Chrome 2.63456345 which is actually a whole different program", i'd ditch it for another that provides the same functionality.

A problem with OSes it that there are limited choices. Linux distros do not provide the same functionality as Windows does, so they're not necessarily options.
Window 10 is a different OS, not an update to Win 7/8. It can be applied as an upgrade... but it is not the same. This is why it not being voluntary is a big deal.

I admit keeping an OS up to date is important... but again, an OS is not another OS.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Are there THAT many people here oblivious to GWX?

GHG

Gold Member

Finally a legitimate concern. That is 100% a problem. If there's no workaround for that, then that just sucks.

But you telling other people that it can't possibly be having a negative impact on their lives or work is contributing positively towards the discussion right?

Gems like this brought about so many great insightful discussions:

Highly doubt it disrupted your work flow that severely. Honestly just sounds hyperbolic.

Name some software that got totally ruined by the update and how much irreparable damage it caused to your work life and personal life.
Microsoft's own Windows Media Center which I use to record OTA television for my family. Their own software product is REMOVED during the upgrade.

Don't care if their are other programs out there that may do as well, my system works great at that one task (and a drive server for backups) and I have 0 reason to upgrade to an OS which would permanently remove the one piece of software that system is dedicated to running.

I'm tired of telling it not to install. I'm going to be PISSED if they ever sneak through in an 'auto' update I didn't approve.

driver116

When the scheme started last year, the message never contained a date or time or any indication that it would install automatically. So what these people are saying is you need to read the message that pops up everytime the computer starts to make sure the message content hasn't changed.

Whompa02

But you telling other people that it can't possibly be having a negative impact on their lives or work is contributing positively towards the discussion right?

Probably contributes more to the conversation than calling someone "a fucking idiot."

CAD functionality has no work around at all?

Shin-Ra

Major OS updates are always problematic, they shouldn't be performed without at least double checking with the primary user of the computer.

With this notification system, potentially a user could leave their computer on, unused until the scheduled update, and they wouldn't get any warning.

Whompa02

Microsoft's own Windows Media Center which I use to record OTA television for my family. Their own software product is REMOVED during the upgrade.

Don't care if their are other programs out there that may do as well, my system works great at that one task (and a drive server for backups) and I have 0 reason to upgrade to an OS which would permanently remove the one piece of software that system is dedicated to running.

I'm tired of telling it not to install. I'm going to be PISSED if they ever sneak through in an 'auto' update I didn't approve.

Does this not have any work around?

http://www.howtogeek.com/132462/5-alternatives-to-windows-media-center-on-windows-8/

Woorloog

Banned
Major OS updates are always problematic, they shouldn't be performed without at least double checking with the primary user of the computer.

With this notification system, potentially a user could leave their computer on, unused until the scheduled update, and they wouldn't get any warning.

I find it ironic Windows since Vista has had User Access Control for double-checking stuff... How odd it should not apply to OS replacement.

ksdixon

People are too dumb to read ? really ? that's a fact and it's abused by all kind of scammers since years and years. M$ convenientely abused that fact when they made that pop-up message window since all the previous windows could be ignored by clicking X.
It was done on purpose and that's not something to applaude.

What you're describing is an utopia when it works and a nightmare when it doesn't.
I'll say without a doubt that it doesn't work that often as your post seems to imply.

Alright, in the rare event that Reset This PC doesn't work, and give you a fresh copy of Win10 within 30mins, you can use the Media Create Tool and re-upgrade Win10 on top of itself. That is basically the same as 'resetting the pc', but it seems to sidestep the times when that option isn't working.

If you want to go full blown nuclear then you just pull out your USB Recovery Stick, turn on your device and have it boot from the USB stick, which will install your ass right back to vanilla Win8.0 (using my own device, a Surface Pro 1 originally running win8.0 as an example). You're STILL back to a working Windows installation, in about 30 minutes.

Nothing could be simpler. Don't have to start getting Win7 DVDs out, calling Johnny home from university etc. Once you're up on 10, it gets easier.

GHG

Gold Member
Probably contributes more to the conversation than calling someone "a fucking idiot."

CAD functionality has no work around at all?

No, there there are plenty of workarounds for CAD. I was just being hyperbolic.

The best workaround involves rolling back to Windows 7 or 8.

TLZ

Banned
And this is despite me turning off auto update and hiding the Windows 10 prompt that keeps coming up. I'm not happy about this at all. And I don't have the patience to reinstall Windows 7 again because I have too many programs to reinstall and I can't be bothered to go through all that.

And I tried to see if I can roll it back but I don't have the option to which pisses me off even more.

Nice. Welcome to w10!

Cyrano

And this is despite me turning off auto update and hiding the Windows 10 prompt that keeps coming up. I'm not happy about this at all. And I don't have the patience to reinstall Windows 7 again because I have too many programs to reinstall and I can't be bothered to go through all that.

And I tried to see if I can roll it back but I don't have the option to which pisses me off even more.
Would recommend a reinstall, in spite of the pain in the butt it will be. Make sure you turn off updates once you finish the install, it's the only way to actually prevent it (you can download update packages manually if you need a certain Service Pack).

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like Windows 10, it's privacy issues, or its aggressiveness to get you to upgrade as much as a lot of people.

However it can be disabled, and it's wording it's crystal clear.

I do think that a lot of confusion could be fixed if this was an OPT IN instead of an OPT OUT thing that your automatically Opted into, however.

Top Bottom