• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So minecraft on Switch is gonna be huge right?

Alienfan

Almost definitely. There aren't a lot games on the switch right now and when a new console launches people seem to be pretty keen to buy whatever, plus it's Minecraft. Even that crappy telltale game sold almost 5 million at retail. It's on its way to being the biggest game of all time

Wait, I thought Microsoft bought this franchise? I'm confused.

They did, but Minecraft's value is in its ubiquity. It has official ports for just about every device in existence, and any device not supported probably will be eventually. Amusingly, Microsoft buying the developer/IP is probably the reason why Wii U got a port, or at least got it when it did, as it meant more funding and resources for additional ports, and it was MS who made the decision to release on more hardware than what was already supported. What's more, in Japan the game is officially published by Microsoft Game Studios on Wii U, meaning one of the best selling games on Nintendo's native region's eShop is not only from another first party publisher, but is also that other first party's best selling game in the region in years lol.

(side note: Minecraft: Story Mode, a completely separate game from Telltale, was actually on Wii U before the actual game, haha)

Additionally, the PS3, PS4, and PSV versions of the game are published by Sony in all regions due to a preexisting deal.

Oh, and the Windows Phone version of Minecraft Pocket Edition received full Xbox Live support with Xbox achievements long after the iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, and Gear VR versions, and only shortly before Apple TV.

The whole situation is weird as hell. lol

It'll do great, but it'll be gangbusters once the physical version comes out.

You'd be surprised how many folks were confused by the digital Wii U version (mainstream, that it)

Widge

Yeah, I have seen that image. Doesn't help me much though since I've only played the PC version. I wanna see the camera flying from corner to corner, if that makes sense.

I'm not sure if this is a comparison but the mobile version is huge. I've not hit any walls playing that. Not sure how it compares in size to all of these.

You can play for hundreds of hours in Minecraft and never leave your starting area and whatever you can see in line of sight.

Edit:

Ok mobile is infinite. So explains some of the hugeness!

My seven year old brother has been obsessed with Minecraft on PC for the past three or so years. He spends so many hours building, crafting, even watching tutorial videos. His school even encourages it with coding projects and activities.

He's been absorbed with Breath of the Wild for the last two months, though. But once Minecraft hits Switch... oh boy. A portable Minecraft on a cute Nintendo tablet that easily plugs into the HDTV? I envy the excitement he'll have.

Funny you so that as my daughter is 9yrs old and loves minecraft too. Like your brother she is also obsessed with botw. Something about the open nature, exploration etc which is a lot like minecraft that appeals it's no wonder that botw is a hit with the minecraft crowd.

And yes minecraft will sell a shit ton on the switch

How do they solve it with only one joycon stick in tabletop mode?

I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure that during the stream a week or two ago they said you need to have actual full controllers to play in 2-player mode. So either 2 JoyCons per player or Pro Controllers, but no JoyCon Halves.

Alchemy

I mean I have Minecraft on PC but I'll definitely be picking this up digitally. I was tempted to grab it on the Vita but performance issues drove me away. Portable minecraft where I'm not stuck killing my phones battery is going to be amazing.

Bulbasaur

Banned
No doubt, if it's invasion of popular culture is anything to go by. I myself have never played it but I think I might bite on Switch.

noshten

I can see the Switch edition being an evergreen on the Switch and one of the most successful 3rd party games on the platform during the Switch's lifetime.

Widge

Is MInecraft still popular? I really don't know.

My lad (8) plays it consistently. If he isn't playing it, he is watching Stampy/Squid/Squaishy videos, or DanTDM now. Outside of this, Lego Worlds is the only other game that has captured his imagination.

It's the only game he is really interested in. He doesn't get why games don't have freedom in, and you have to follow a sequence of events to get to the end.

Wait... 4 player splitscreen?

I'm interested and have never played Mine craft before. Can someone explain what four players can do together?

Is MInecraft still popular? I really don't know.
Extremely.

Wait... 4 player splitscreen?

I'm interested and have never played Mine craft before. Can someone explain what four players can do together?

You can play the core game cooperatively. Build and explore together, or separately, in the same world. Given how open the game is, you can really take that and go with it however you like. There's a lot of freedom.

They also added a battle mode to the console versions recently, but it's more of a small side thing.

It'll sell well but I think most people will be happy to keep playing it on whatever platforms they own already. Especially kids with tablets, I doubt they'll care too much about the Switch version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If Microsoft manages to get Realms across different console versions, I will triple dip on this !

They really do need realms support on console but I don't know if the policies of the platform holders will allow it because it'll mean cross platform play

But persistent servers turn minecraft from a great multiplayer game into an amazing one. I used to have one on my computer for the family to play and it was so much better than the 'open to lan' options which requires you to be online for others to see your world

dl77

My lad (8) plays it consistently. If he isn't playing it, he is watching Stampy/Squid/Squaishy videos, or DanTDM now. Outside of this, Lego Worlds is the only other game that has captured his imagination.

It's the only game he is really interested in. He doesn't get why games don't have freedom in, and you have to follow a sequence of events to get to the end.

Exactly the same here. 8 year old lad, loves Minecraft. It's what he and his friends talk about. He doesn't watch Stampy/Squaishy anymore but loves iBallistic Squid and Popular MMO's.

Being able to play 'proper' Minecraft, not Pocket Edition, on a portable device is a huge thing for kids. I've already got it for my PS3/4 but I think this will quickly become his favourite version. He'll be able to play it wherever he wants and even compared to the PS4 sleep mode he'll be able to get playing a lot quicker.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Maybe? Not sure when that train is going to slow down.

Isn't the switch demographic all adult males though? Are there up to date stats about what ages are playing mine craft?

dl77

It'll sell well but I think most people will be happy to keep playing it on whatever platforms they own already. Especially kids with tablets, I doubt they'll care too much about the Switch version.

I don't know how true that is to be honest. I've got Pocket Edition but my son never plays on that as he prefers the full fat edition even though it ties him to the TV. That's why I think the Switch version will be a big deal for kids, it's the best of both worlds.

What about Minecraft 2? Is it in development by Microsoft? Will they announce it on E3?
What would Minecraft 2 even be and what would have that would justify it being an entirely new game rather than yet another Minecraft 1 update? And why does there need to be a sequel when the original continues to sell obscenely well on all platforms?

dl77

What about Minecraft 2? Is it in development by Microsoft? Will they announce it on E3?

Not sure if you're being serious but I can't imagine there'll even be a Minecraft 2. It's basically a service now so I'd have thought it'll just continue to be improved through updates.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Minecraft is big on a fridge screen.

Also all the Minecraft is Microsoft, that deal was beyond just the Xbox brand so it make sense.

and regarding Minecraft 2, the game is a service now and it's a sequel of itself.

Widge

Exactly the same here. 8 year old lad, loves Minecraft. It's what he and his friends talk about. He doesn't watch Stampy/Squaishy anymore but loves iBallistic Squid and Popular MMO's.

Being able to play 'proper' Minecraft, not Pocket Edition, on a portable device is a huge thing for kids. I've already got it for my PS3/4 but I think this will quickly become his favourite version. He'll be able to play it wherever he wants and even compared to the PS4 sleep mode he'll be able to get playing a lot quicker.

To be fair, I'm not sure what Portable Edition is lacking. Pre v1.0, it was dreadful. You could walk across the world in a couple of minutes and there was next to nothing there. It was like that for ages. All of a sudden, the mobile dev side got major traction and it has the full feature set plus the novelty of infinite world size.

Now it is getting all the DLC store stuff, skins, textures, the whole lot.

dl77

To be fair, I'm not sure what Portable Edition is lacking. Pre v1.0, it was dreadful. You could walk across the world in a couple of minutes and there was next to nothing there. It was like that for ages. All of a sudden, the mobile dev side got major traction and it has the full feature set plus the novelty of infinite world size.

Now it is getting all the DLC store stuff, skins, textures, the whole lot.

Ah, haven't played it for a long time so probably missed out on all that!

Still prefer to use a controller than touchscreen though!

I've never played Minecraft. What makes it so appealing? Seems like a massive time sink of endless grinding.
It's kind of impossible to describe, to be honest. You kind of have to just play it, and either you "get" it or you don't. But it's the freedom to do whatever you want, however you want, solo or cooperatively, split screen or online, that makes it popular. The game is ultimately whatever you make it to be.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's kind of impossible to describe, to be honest. You kind of have to just play it, and either you "get" it or you don't. But it's the freedom to do whatever you want, however you want, solo or cooperatively, split screen or online, that makes it popular. The game is ultimately whatever you make it to be.

Is it mainly just building? I've seen that there can be monsters, so survival as well?

I'm going to have to look to see if there's a demo.

What makes Legos appealing?

If it's mainly just relaxing and building things I don't think it's for me. I'll probably just wait for Animal Crossing for my next portable time sink.

Is it mainly just building? I've seen that there can be monsters, so survival as well?

I'm going to have to look to see if there's a demo.

If it's mainly just relaxing and building things I don't think it's for me. I'll probably just wait for Animal Crossing for my next portable time sink.
Building, exploring, surviving.

There's Survival Mode which is all of that. You have to eat food to maintain stamina and regenerate health. Enemies come out at night, so you have to build shelter during the day. Equipment has to be forged through gathered resources. You have to explore to find new biomes and thus resources. There are villages where you can trade with villagers. You can find, tame, and breed animals, etc.. There are also bosses you can reach/spawn and other dimensions to go to, though you need special portals made from rare resources to access them. There's a lot more too, but that's the basic rundown of the mode.

You can also play in peaceful mode where enemies don't spawn and food isn't necessary, but all resources must be manually acquired.

Then there's Creative Mode where you're given unlimited resources to do whatever the hell you like.

Cerium

There's Survival Mode which is all of that. You have to eat food to maintain stamina and regenerate health. Enemies come out at night, so you have to build shelter during the day. Equipment has to be forged through gathered resources. You have to explore to find new biomes and thus resources. There are villages where you can trade with villagers. You can find, tame, and breed animals, etc.. There are also bosses you can reach/spawn and other dimensions to go to, though you need special portals made from rare resources to access them. There's a lot more too, but that's the basic rundown of the mode.

You can also play in peaceful mode where enemies don't spawn and food isn't necessary, but all resources must be manually acquired.

Then there's Creative Mode where you're given unlimited resources to do whatever the hell you like.

There's also a bunch of mini games, all with online multiplayer.

Hell maybe I should ask if I can post the OT early.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Ok, now this sounds much more interesting.

Widge

Ah, haven't played it for a long time so probably missed out on all that!

Still prefer to use a controller than touchscreen though!

It's not actually bad at all! Not the most touch intensive game in the world.

There was once a patch where invert had been broken, which ruined it for me but it seems ok again now.

I do love that you can effectively jump into the world of anyone on your local network quickly. When I discovered that, oh the fun. I found my boy playing online, I jumped in and saw him just spawning animals everywhere. From downstairs you just heard:

"STEVE. IT'S STEVE. STEVE IS HERE.

STEVE IS KILLING MY ANIMALS. STEVE IS KILLING MY ANIMALS"

Top Bottom