• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, Polygon 'playing' Doom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISee

I mean got an intern to capture video while the reviewer was busy playing the game.

Do you have to be good at a game to review it? Is simply playing a game through to the end enough to evaluate it?

This is what I put forward: you can have an opinion on anything.

Everybody has an opinion, the reall question should be: is every opinion relevant? Obviously no.

There is no need to be superior at games to enjoy them or have an opinion about them, but you have to be at least descent enough so that the most simple mechanics like moving do not hinder your gameplay if you want your opinion to have some sort of relevance. For example if you want to review or enjoy a pc rts game you should better be able to click on things to select them. Someone who can't use a mouse will obviously have a much harder time in a pc rts game because even the most simple of things will be hard. His game experience will be different than let's say average joes experience who at least is able to use a mouse probably. In the end your opinion/experience about that rts game has no relevance for average joe and can't offer him anything of value. Making it irrelevant.

Well I'm not so sure. Let's say polygon gave it a 10, then released this video. I'm not sure the response would be the same. People value opinions they agree with.

Everybody has an opinion, the reall question should be: is every opinion relevant? Obviously no.

The question you are asking us wrong. The question is "is every opinion relevant to me?" Big difference.

Also you are assuming skill doesn't increase with play time. Which the opposite is true.

Well I'm not so sure. Let's say polygon gave it a 10, then released this video. I'm not sure the response would be the same. People value opinions they agree with.
What they score it doesn't really matter. Anyone can have an opinion. If anything, people would just as easily discredit the score if the same person who made this video reviewed it and gave it a 10 because they could see that the person had no idea what they were doing.

An uneducated opinion particularly has no value for educational purposes, which is why journalism exists. This is why we (Hopefully) don't hire teachers completely ignorant on the subject they're supposed to be teaching. Having an person try to teach or showcase something theyre uneducated in is not only useless towards actually educating someone, but is debatably detrimental to their puprose because they can spread misinformation and muddy the waters.

ISee

The question you are asking us wrong. The question is "is every opinion relevant to me?" Big difference.

No. I stand by my point. Opinions expressed by laymen (people not qualified in a given profession and people who do not have specific knowledge of a certain subject/hobby) have no relevance and are of no use. And not knowing how to use a mouse would disqualify you to give a proper and relevant opinion about that mouse. Of course you're still free to have an opinion but nobody will care.

Also you are assuming skill doesn't increase with play time. Which the opposite is true.

So what? The initial experience is still massively different and of no use to the general public.

What I don't get about it is more the fact that a professional person doing this for a living didn't realize how stupid this video looked and just....re-did it or something after getting used to the controls? Was it live in front of an audience or what?

What I don't get about it is more the fact that a professional person doing this for a living didn't realize how stupid this video looked and just....re-did it or something after getting used to the controls? Was it live in front of an audience or what?
Doom was released on May 13th, and the video was released May 12th. From what I understand review copies weren't sent out, so they were probably in a hurry to release anything they could. We don't know the behind the scenes issues. This is not a defense for Polygon, the video is absolutely weird, but maybe that explains why.

milkham

Doom was released on May 13th, and the video was released May 12th. From what I understand review copies weren't sent out, so they were probably in a hurry to release anything they could. We don't know the behind the scenes issues. This is not a defense for Polygon, the video is absolutely weird, but maybe that explains why.

Hmm that's interesting, I've heard of locally owned shops here in nyc breaking street dates before maybe that's why they got someone who doesn't know how to use analog sticks to upload the video.

I meant it more like 'after the first 5 minutes of play time...fuck let's try this again' haha. I mean, no professional can be as bad as this at a game for more than a simple adjustment period I hope?

why is there a 42-page thread about this
It spawned several sub-conversations which are fascinating to discuss.

1. Is it professional for Polygon to upload video footage of someone playing a FPS horribly as accurate gameplay footage?

2. Do you need to be good at games to review them?

3. Is it possible to use a controller for this type of game and still have high level skill?

4. How much of a shit heel is Arthur Gies anyway?

No, Yes, Yes, A huge one

Unless you were just being facetious. In which case you could have read the thread. As I understand it research is also an important function of games journalism as well. ;)

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
It spawned several sub-conversations which are fascinating to discuss.

1. Is it professional for Polygon to upload video footage of someone playing a FPS horribly as accurate gameplay footage?

2. Do you need to be good at games to review them?

3. Is it possible to use a controller for this type of game and still have high level skill?

4. How much of a shit heel is Arthur Gies anyway?

No, Yes, Yes, A huge one

Unless you were just being facetious. In which case you could have read the thread. As I understand it research is also an important function of games journalism as well. ;)

5. i think you just got banned

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I knew the moment I saw him involved with this, that gaf would find a way to bully Arthur Gies about this whole thing. Dude just gets shit on for every little thing.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I knew the moment I saw him involved with this, that gaf would find a way to bully Arthur Gies about this whole thing. Dude just gets shit on for every little thing.
He is the same guy who attempted to manufacture an sexism in a trade show story and then doubled down on it when called out on it.

NateDrake

There is no defense for the video. If you as an outlet are willing to upload terrible footage and use that footage to represent your brand, then you open yourself to any and all criticism that comes your way. The video was a disservice to the game, so Polygon and the player rightfully received criticism for the poor quality of the video.

Rushing to post footage? It was 30mins of footage. Replay the level again and upload better footage. Hell, upload a section from later in the game (if allowed) and share that. Regardless of skill level shown, the footage was just a poor display of the game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
He is the same guy who attempted to manufacture an sexism in a trade show story and then doubled down on it when called out on it.
Oh, so internet bullying justified I guess, right?

GavinUK86

Oh it was Arthur Gies playing? I wondered why I was blocked by him on Twitter and I've never even spoken to the guy nor did I follow him. I just retweeted this thread when the New GAF Thread Twitter posted it, lol. That's quite the blocking spree he's on.

Jackshun

Banned
why is there a 42-page thread about this

It's ironic that you don't understand why there is a 42 page thread about this.

The reason this thread is ongoing is because it is an interesting look at the nature of criticism. Something you probably haven't given much thought to.

It raises the question of what criteria are needed in order to be a relevant critic. This person playing the game cannot use a controller at the level of a 4 year old which raises the question; does that make their thoughts on the game irrelevant?

I would argue, yes. If I read a car magazine I usually find that the most interesting writers have driven many many cars and have some basic facility in taking a car to the track and driving well.

If I read a literature review I likewise find that the most salient writers tend to have read many many books and can write with ease while avoiding cliches and providing unique viewpoints.

I've read tool reviews, software reviews, architecture reviews, sports "reviews", and it seems to generally be true that you need to have some experience with your subject in order to write intelligently about it. And usually with experience there comes some deftness.

Maybe this reviewer has an arm injury. Or maybe there is some other extenuating circumstance that makes him unable to play at a basic gamer's level. But more likely he is just some kid that this site hired to shoot out some poor content so they can generate ad revenue and he is just not very experienced at his job.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That Polygon are still collectively the butt of all games journalism jokes on the internet just goes to show how tone deaf the management must be.

That Gies is even tangentially connected to this at all isn't a surprise, nor is the fact he/they couldn't spin it off and laugh along with everyone else for a moment. Always double down, what can go wrong! Triple down even. You already have a reputation for not paying up on bets so who cares!

isn't a surprise [...] he/they couldn't spin it off and laugh along with everyone else for a moment. Always double down, what can go wrong! Triple down even. You already have a reputation for not paying up on bets so who cares!

Fair point. Even DSP was recently able to nonchalantly play off accidentally masturbating on a stream without a hitch, like it didn't even happen.

Oh it was Arthur Gies playing? I wondered why I was blocked by him on Twitter and I've never even spoken to the guy nor did I follow him. I just retweeted this thread when the New GAF Thread Twitter posted it, lol. That's quite the blocking spree he's on.

It's a bit ironic that a guy whose job is to be critical of other people's work resorts to banning anyone who may be critical of him.

Jedi2016

Fair point. Even DSP was recently able to nonchalantly play off accidentally masturbating on a stream without a hitch, like it didn't even happen.
Now I'm trying to figure out the circumstances leading to accidental masturbation. Interesting twist on the thread.. lol.

tebunker

Banned

I'm just going to say it for the last time since everyone ignores it, it has always Been Russ Frushtick, who joined Polygon a couple of weeks ago, works out of NY offices, and flat out said he was posting the video last Friday, which he did, and then he pointed to Polygon's FB in his twitter feed to point out the video.

https://twitter.com/RussFrushtick/status/731146245528518657

which he followed up with:

https://twitter.com/RussFrushtick/status/731149540192075776

But people want to shit on Gies, look, fair dude kind of brings it on himself at times.

I'll state it again, having this much discussion over it is silly, and honestly if it wasn't polygon it would probably have been ignored.

second, this is PC gameplay, and not everyone is great at using Mouse and KB, Russ doesn't say if he used a controller.

Lastly, the people who read Polygon were generally receptive to the video on FB, while some teasing was there. Just in case you are wondering it got over 1000 likes and 38k views.

In the grand scheme, people are generally just happy seeing any footage from a game. It really is only the "hardcore hobbyists" who give a shit. They aren't live streaming, and they aren't making these videos to get you to subscribe, they were literally putting up the early footage they had recorded on the day the game came out.

As said by another here and I will say it again. Russ is a really cool dude, has some good opinions on stuff, has been around a while, and it great on the 404. Go check it out.

A Bomb

Neo Member

No. It was Russ Frushtick, as has been pointed out thousands of times.

Edit: whelp, that's what I get for wading into this, someone makes a much better post three minutes before me.

There is no defense for the video. If you as an outlet are willing to upload terrible footage and use that footage to represent your brand, then you open yourself to any and all criticism that comes your way. The video was a disservice to the game, so Polygon and the player rightfully received criticism for the poor quality of the video.

Rushing to post footage? It was 30mins of footage. Replay the level again and upload better footage. Hell, upload a section from later in the game (if allowed) and share that. Regardless of skill level shown, the footage was just a poor display of the game.
Don't let the page count of this thread trick you into thinking this "issue" is anything more than insignificant.

It wasn't him. How are people still making this mistake?
Because people want to latch on to any theory that might make this a Big Deal.

I thought I read a screenshot of him tweeting it was him?
Holy shit, just FOUR posts above you. Come on.

Gattsu25

Banned
I thought I read a screenshot of him tweeting it was him?

You're being purposefully misled by people. As in, the person that posted the quote that you read is actively trying to play you for a fool.
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/wlypEb5.jpg[/IMG]
When people quote him, they'll only quote the top tweet and leave out the one with the actual link to the different video that he posted.

This is the video that he posted. Not the video in the OP

JackDT

At first I laughed at the Polygon video but it kept blowing up so big that now I'm sad seeing so many gamers being outright mean-spirited about it. :(

ResoRai

There are exactly zero people in this thread debating the quality of the game itself. You are grasping at straws.

You're just going in circles. Read the thread. You haven't raise a single point that hasn't already been defeated multiple times.

I don't agree with the user, as he is indeed raising those same points, but there are some who went on about the quality. Probably more, but I haven't read the whole thread.

Polygon ain't making a commercial. If it looks bad, it's because of the game.

It's sad, because for so long people lamented highly-scripted E3 demos. And now when we get Normal Gameplay from a Normal Player, it must suck because of the guy playing.

Edit: for what it's worth, it doesn't look bad to me from this gif. I think those of you that think it makes the game look bad are overreacting/projecting. Just because you cringe at someone playing a game poorly doesn't mean everyone does.

What a player of this skill level really highlights is just how bad the enemy AI in the game is. He meanders around, missing shots like crazy and melee kills like 70% of the enemies with zero situational awareness.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Misinterpreting Twitter timelines, roping in uninvolved industry people, and unwarranted condescension, all over a non-review video. Yeah, we're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom