• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who's buying Mad Max next week?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm just so impressed on how dedicated and planned out Fury Road was. Wasn't the entire movie more less completely storyboarded with almost a 1:1 transition from storyboard to film? Miller is just a genius level director. That movie is directly responsible for my hype for this game. It just blows my mind that he went from Mad Max, to Babe:pig in the City to Happy Feet and then back to Mad Max. George Miller is very very talented.

Yeah:

Before you had a script, you had thousands of storyboards. What made you decide to take such a visual approach for this?

MILLER: First of all, it’s a chase. It’s very hard, when people are chasing across the wasteland, to write that in words. It’s much easier to do it as pictures. Because it’s almost a continuous chase, you have to connect one shot to the other, so the obvious way to do it was as a storyboard, and then put words in later. So, I worked with five really good storyboard artists. We just sat in a big room and, instead of writing it down, we’d say, “Okay, this guy throws what we call a thunder stick at another car and there’s an explosion.” You can write that, but exactly where the thunder stick is, where the car is and what the explosion looks like, it’s very hard to get those dimensions, so we’d draw it. We ended up with about 3,500 panels. It almost becomes equivalent to the number of shots in the movie.

There was later a "kind of written version of the storyboard" (something of an annotated version for dialogue purposes, I'd guess) and that was the extent to which the film had a script.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
No one says it's overhyped or overrated. I haven't seen any ratings of Mad Max so far. But I'm voicing my concerns with this particular type of checklist-open-world design. It's pure bloat and little substance. Mad Max is the ideal IP for an open-world game but I wish some developer would've made more with this than just fitting it into that same, old, boring template.

Basically, I love the IP but I hate Ubisoft-style open-worlds (let's not kid ourselves, this game is exactly that). That's where my disappointment comes from.

True but people are bashing the game despite having nothing to base it on. I'm basing my comments about MGSV being overrated and overhyped on that boot camp review which sorry, is a huge red flag to me not just because of how the reviewers had to play the game but also because they played it in a way that few if any MGS fans are going to play the game. Seriously, I would be shocked if one MGS fan used the chicken hat or whatever the hell it is to breeze through the game unseen and unnoticed. On a second play-through, I can understand but first play-through? Hell no. To me, I can't take any of those reviews and scores seriously.

I think I know what you mean by "checklist" but you're misunderstand what the checklist is for. When you complete "checklists" or objectives, you get a notification and completing these give you Griffa tokens which is what you need to build up Max. So while I'll admit that they may become annoying after a while, I prefer to have them on so I know what I have to complete in order to gain the Griffa tokens.

What do you mean by old, boring template? Sorry but I have played a decent amount of open world games and they're ALL REPETITIVE and basically THE SAME. You get the same stuff in every game. Witcher 3 was no different, neither was GTA V, neither will be MGS V or Fallout 4 or any other open world game. It simply comes down to "are you enjoying and having fun repeating the same stuff over and over again"? Take Arkham Knight for example, they had a bunch of those security towers and security barriers. They're all the same. Just varying amount of enemies and difficulty but still the same.

And what do you mean by Ubisoft open world games? I have completed Black Flag, Rogue, FC 3, FC 4, Watch Dogs and Unity. Yeah, some things are similar like the treasure chests or climbing up buildings/radio towers but both have a point to doing it and neither are required. Maybe, it's because I started with FC 3 and Black Flag but unlike most who bash Ubisoft, it seems like people are just worn out with their games since they've been playing them since the first AC game.

If you could explain what you mean though, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

zaclgKD.gif

Sitting here waiting myself. ^ should help pass the time.

How many of you watched the whole thing?

That was amazing

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Kamina777 said:
Don't take it too personal, it probably has the worst possible release date of any game in recent memory, but if it's good, after the mgs5 hype dies down it will get its day.

I'm not taking it personal. I just hate people bashing Mad Max for no valid reason as those who are bashing it haven't played it. I call MGSV overrated and overhyped due to the reviews and ratings because look at how the game was reviewed. Under duress and supervision in a boot camp??? Seriously? Really? To me, that's a huge red flag but it amazingly doesn't seem to bother anyone as they just follow the crowd. How can I take any of those reviews seriously when they were all playing the game using a chicken suit or whatever the hell it is to make them go through the game unseen and undetected. Seriously, what MGS fan or gamer in general would play the game that way on their first play through? Second play through, I can understand but in no way, shape or form is anyone going to play that way on their first play through. Even im not going to do that. Hell, why would I? Or anyone for that matter? To me, all the MGSV reviews and scores are nothing more than a misrepresentation of the game and it's simply not right period.

It's also why unlike the majority of gamers nowadays, I don't let any reviewer, review or rating affect my decision in any way, shape or form. If I want to buy and play the game, I will. If I don't, I won't but sadly that doesn't happen. Majority of gamers just follow everyone else.

What really pisses me off is those who say Mad Max is empty and nothing there but yet seem to think MGSV is packed with buildings and stuff. I watched an 18 minute walkthrough of Snake planting C4 on antennas. You can see a huge portion of the area. Seriously, there's nothing there except for the small area you need to infiltrate. Come on.

Worse part is that Mad Max is based on the movies which is basically a desert wasteland. There's not supposed to be anything there. And I watched a video last night that showed an underground area that was part of an actual airport and airplane.

People think that you just drive around but there's more to the game. If people don't have any interest in the game, fine but what's the point of coming into a Mad Max topic and bashing the game for no valid reason since the person bashing the game hasn't even played it. Instead, I see "well, all early playthroughs said it was bad or whatever". I guess if it's on the internet, it must be true so I guess all of those who see the scores for MGSV must be thinking, "oh, it's a classic" despite not playing the game themselves.

As of right now, I think MGSV is overrated and overhyped. When I play it (after Mad Max), maybe it will live up to the hype, maybe it won't. But you don't see me going into every MGSV topic saying so. In fact, I haven't posted that in any MGSV topic. After all, why would I? It makes no sense just like people bashing Mad Max for no valid reason makes no sense in this topic.

And if anyone thinks that im not into MGSV or whatever, I pre-ordered both games yesterday at Best Buy but yeah, I'll definitely be playing Mad Max first simply because it looks like a lot more fun and action packed. Do I think that MGSV will be a good game? Yes but do I think that it's surpassing the original MGS or MGS3? Hell no but it better surpass MGS2 because after the ship, sorry but the game sucked.

Of course, everything here is just my own personal opinion. Only difference is that im not posting in the MGSV topics simply because it would make no sense to do so whatsoever. Neither game has nothing to do with the other so why MGSV keeps getting mentioned in every Mad Max topic is beyond me.

^ You alright man? I'd say that most of Bedlams criticisms are fair for him. Some people just like different things, and I can imagine I'd be disappointed if I wanted a game to go one way and it goes the other. Especially if it's a franchise/character/series one has grown to love over the years. That said, open world is the only answer for Mad Max. GMG were all da key's at?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
^ You alright man? I'd say that most of Bedlams criticisms are fair for him. Some people just like different things, and I can imagine I'd be disappointed if I wanted a game to go one way and it goes the other. Especially if it's a franchise/character/series one has grown to love over the years. That said, open world is the only answer for Mad Max. GMG were all da key's at?

I'm good. A little too "overhyped" for Mad Max as im anxious to play it. What can I say? It's my most anticipated game of the year and honestly, the only game that im actually anxious and can't wait to play.

If Bedlam and other's don't have any interest in Mad Max or simply think the game is crap or whatever, that's fine but why come into a Mad Max topic just to insult and bash the game despite not playing it or having any interest in it?

I could easily do the same with Halo, COD and countless others but seriously, why would I? What's the point when I have no interest in those games? It simply doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm good. A little too "overhyped" for Mad Max as im anxious to play it. What can I say? It's my most anticipated game of the year and honestly, the only game that im actually anxious and can't wait to play.

If Bedlam and other's don't have any interest in Mad Max or simply think the game is crap or whatever, that's fine but why come into a Mad Max topic just to insult and bash the game despite not playing it or having any interest in it?

I could easily do the same with Halo, COD and countless others but seriously, why would I? What's the point when I have no interest in those games? It simply doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm just ecstatic that we get both MGSV and Mad Max and can switch back and forth to my hearts content. Even more so that Mad Max Steam unlocks on Sunday. I prescribe to the if you don't have nothing nice to say, just don't say it mentality myself, we'll as best I can that is. Unless you spend money, than by all means criticize away. I mean, most of us are aware at the popularity of Gaf across publications and developers, and unless you voice your opinions something you'd like to change, may not. You just gotta make sure if you disagree you point out exactly why you do. I get the feeling I'm really gonna love Mad Max which is why I've been living in this damn thread.

That was amazing

Lol, glad you enjoyed it. It's so damn mesmerizing.

Ramenman

With people's inability to talk about this game without mentionning MGS (one way or the other) the OT will probably be titled something like "Mad Max |OT| of RELEASING THE SAME DAY AS MGS V"

I didn't say you weren't allowed to enjoy it for what it was.

I'm just saying it looks like Assassin's Creed with a car, in the same way that Far Cry 3 is Assassin's Creed in a jungle, Far Cry 4 is Assassin's Creed on a mountain, and Shadow of Mordor is Assassin's Creed in Middle-earth.

*breath* and that Dragon Age: Inquisition is Assassin's Creed with dragons, and Watch_Dogs is Assassin's Creed with a cell phone.

Doesn't make them bad, just makes them... samey.

It's not just the icons, or the feeling of a collectathon, its the way with which content is introduced and paced to the player.

That's why games like The Witcher 3 and GTA V stand out from "Ubiworld" games. They don't feel like checklists, the content comes more organically. Better open world games make the filler collectathon bullshit seem unimportant and extraneous, while Ubi games and their like make it feel like the main portion of the content.

I see your point but saying those games are the same because of overall structure and way to present objective basically suggests that moment-to-moment gameplay has no impact on the experience. That's what get people to crap up the curtains as soon as someone says those games are "basically Assassin's Creed".

It's like, because of some similarities in macro-structure, suddenly the actual gameplay, environment, artistic direction, ambiance, etc doesn't factor in.

And I think the second reason people don't like this implication is also because AC is largely shitty in how it handles this. Its moment-to-moment gameplay being unrewarding and glitchy and crap means that the "collectathon and side objectives" thing has a bad press because they did it first and did it bad and still do it bad.

Endlessly collecting shit, to some people, isn't an issue if the core-gameplay & character progression is sufficiently fun and polished on its own. See : orbs in crackdown for example.

Also, I admit I'm partial to open-world game where you can actually tackle stuff in the order that you want, even if it means a very apparent and "gamey" structure, rather than games like GTA or Witcher (with it's little-to-no-xp-for-sidequests policy) who take place in an open-world but where your agency of what to do next is strongly tied to a linear stream of quests, if not inexistant. But now we're very clearly in subjective territory, some people want things coated in story and characters, others just like to cut to the chase (no mad max pun intended) and get the gameplay asap. (no matter which way you cut it, a game objective is always go-there-do-that and repeat at some point, it's just a matter of how well it's disguised by story/dialogues/environment/rewards/gameplay modifiers/etc).

I'm concerned about the review embargo and it's ridiculous they're holding off until Monday with this game since it needs all the attention it can get due to coming out the same day as that other game, if WB had faith in it reviews would probably already be out unless there's something important required with a day one patch.

dex3108

I guess Mad Max keys from GMG won't be out until Monday. It is hard to beat grey market sellers when they already started distributing keys before even pre-load started. Somehow supporting legit things sometimes is not better for customer/user.

I just watched a stream, and it made me even more excited to play. The moment to moment gameplay looks fun, and the desert environments look great. Driving looks fun, saw the player hit the turbo and launch through a snipers tower straight off a cliff face. Took some heavy damage on the landing and the mechanic moved around the outside of the car like a spider, fixed the damage, and was back on the road. I know some people are worried about the Ubisoft formula, but the instances of this looked more enjoyable than auto-climbing up another building to get another flag/feather.

What the hell is WB thinking? Putting Mad Max out two days before one of the biggest releases of the year.

Do they hate the game or something? Do they wanna see it mauled to death?

What the hell is WB thinking? Putting Mad Max out two days before one of the biggest releases of the year.

Do they hate the game or something? Do they wanna see it mauled to death?

Same could be said for Sony and Until Dawn. That game should be released as close to Halloween as possible. Instead, it won't get the attention it deserves because of Metal Gear.

While i'm here, I have to say i've been playing both UD and MGSV for a couple of days now, and because they got to me first my Max hype has died down considerably. I'll likely pick it up when it's cheaper near Xmas now.

Same could be said for Sony and Until Dawn. That game should be released as close to Halloween as possible. Instead, it won't get the attention it deserves because of Metal Gear.

I'm specifically waiting for Halloween to play that game.

While i'm here, I have to say i've been playing both UD and MGSV for a couple of days now, and because they got to me first my Max hype has died down considerably. I'll likely pick it up when it's cheaper near Xmas now.

I'd bet a lot of people will feel like that which is a real shame for MM.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
They're not an authorized retailer, AFAIK.
I also thought they were banned on GAF.

I'm not saying they scam you 100% of the time, but as i understand it, there's always a chance you could run in trouble for using non authorized reseller's keys, plus your money do not go to the developers (though that's also true when you buy used, i guess).

Never had a problem with cdkeys in the 3 years I've used them. But yeah they are grey market and completely understand GAFs stance on them.

As for the game itself I reckon it'll be like Avalanches other games. Shallow as a puddle but reaaaaaally damn fun and a blast to play and that's ok by me :)

So... After my post I decided, against my better judgement, to pre-purchase the game after my previous post. Started the download at around 4:45AM and it just finished so that's that. I'm basically using my Arkham Knight Season Pass refund for it so WB still wins goddammit but I guess I shouldn't punish Avalanche for WB and Rocksteady's bullshit. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

And my backlog grows a little more.

SJRB

Gold Member
Watching a couple of livestreams really sold me on the game. Way more than the dev gameplay stuff from last week, that was pretty terrible.

The skyboxes are super impressive, scavenging seems fun, combat brutal and effective [as opposed to the dev who played like a noob and got destroyed almost every fight]. Max himself looks bland as hell though, I wish his face looked a bit more.. distinguished, I guess?

Lucifon

Patch adds an alternative control scheme for firing on rb instead of B. This also adds a handbrake.

How do you use handbrake? I don't see it in the controls.

Edit - I see, have to switch to the alt controls. Bit odd that alt adds new functionality!

You can customise his look, though not too sure as to how much. I have seen some give him a big beard.

Yeah, you unlock some customisation options for his head, about 8 in all, iirc. So far I've got the default look, one with longer hair and a thicker beard and one with shoulder-length hair and a great big bushy beard.

Lime

Might have to get dat PC version for 20 bucks then....just saying.

Where do you get it for 20 bucks?

EDIT: nevermind, the game looks to be cookie-cutter open world with arbitrary collectible feathers scattered around for padding: i'll wait for impressions.

Kolx

Playing TW3 right now and after that FF Type-0 & MGS:V plus P4G walkthrought to finish. Won't play it until 2016 when it becomes cheaper.

GRaider81

Have it pre loaded now. Looks like this will get plenty of play time before MGSV now we know more about that unlock.

Really looking forward to it, the explosions look great fun

Definity

Played this until 4am. Not done that in a long time with a game. Started to unlock more ground combat skills and there is a bit more depth to it than just mashing an attack button. Special parry counters, fury executions, shoulder charge, melee disarm, etc. all add to it.

Top Bottom