• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who's buying Mad Max next week?

Raptor

I've played for like 8 hours and here are some impressions.

- combat feels good. ofc it's batman formula, but it feels more personal. and I like that there's FURY meter, whichs fills up and Max enrages, his moves change too. he starts hitting way harder, kicking with both legs and even suplexing the enemies.
- car controls are very arcady and it feels fun to even roam the desert without a mission.
- to be honest in it's core the game is closest to Far Cry 3/4 with the difference that you upgrade both Max and his car. (I really like how the game plays so far)
- I was worried that world would feel like that of Follaut 3. there was an apocalypse, but things are OK and there's stuff everywhere. Nope. it's real damn desert with some outposts and totems of war boys here and there. I think it's the only game that gives me real feel of a desert. and I like the imagery too. game locations are on a former see floor - and so there are oil rigs, shipwrecks, lighthouses, submarines - all kinds of nonsense.
-I was thinking this game would have more shooting. But it's closer to Assassins Creed style with shotgun being one of skills and ammo is realy rare without some skills and sidemissions.
-car combat is OK I guess. I mostly use harpoon to take care of any threats, but there are some more weapons later in the game.
-I also like the idea that the devs made both water, food and fuel in-game resourses. I think most devs would only make them apper in cutscenes, but here food is rarely found around to refill HP, water can be gathered in a canteen for use like health-kit and fuel is consumed by car and by some weapons like side-flame-throwers.
-graphics are very nice on PS4. I think it never drops below 30FPS as well. the only downside is somewhat long loading times. sometimes war boys would kill me and game would take up to 1 minute to reload auto-save file. and It had day-zero patch of 400 mb
-one little thing I noticed and liked - Max has leg brace like in the old movies - and when you jump from hights or out of the car - he would limp his leg. he feels very alive in the moments like this :)
--------
Overall I enjoy the game very much. It plays like Far Cry 4 - and it looks somewhat like the movies do. Quite enjoyable to say the least :)

Feel free to ask some questions

God damn this all sounds freaking cool, thanks for this impressions!

addyb

Not a bad result really. Purchased from russian xbox marketplace for £32 and my game sharing bro is going halves so £16 each. Now just have to wait until next week :(

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Not a bad result really. Purchased from russian xbox marketplace for £32 and my game sharing bro is going halves so £16 each. Now just have to wait until next week :(

I need a gamesharing bro on PS4 so I can save monies :(

Drazgul

Glad to hear about the positive first impressions, can't wait to play it myself. Avalanche is a good dev studio, they deserve another hit.

Trace

Banned
I feel like if this game had come out a week and a half ago it would sell far more than it would releasing on Tuesday.

M.W.

I was going to go physical but I want to play this as early as I can, so PSN it is. 9pm Monday, can't wait!

Simo

Here is the intro for those interested. Pretty bad ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QAbgNx3mrg

Holy shit. Bad ass indeed but a bit spoilerish especially for the main villain....lol

Great beginning though.

I was going to go physical but I want to play this as early as I can, so PSN it is. 9pm Monday, can't wait!

I would since my GameStop won't be doing a midnight release but as a fan I want a physical copy as chances of trading or selling it are slim. lol

Maddanth

Glad to hear about the positive first impressions, can't wait to play it myself. Avalanche is a good dev studio, they deserve another hit.
I'm about 6 hours in, and I must admit I'm really enjoying it, combat is fluid, game looks good. I'm actually pleasantly suprised. I mean Avalanche makes good games but this was hit or miss. I have to admit , I'm liking this game ALLOT.

Question for the lucky ones who already have it.

How is the framerate? Does the patch make things smoother?

Because I've watched a few streams and a few videos of the devs showing off gameplay and while performance was ok, it definitely had some noticeable dips / stutter while driving around.

Branson

I really want this but I'm waiting until I finish MGSV. Such a shame it's releasing at the same time or this will be day one.

Definity

They had been shutting down streams all week, maybe they gave in.
Yeah. Thats my guess. They yanked my stream last night.

Played today more and finally hit one spot where the frame rate almost bottomed out for some reason. Not a lot of action on screen either. First time ive seen something like that in close to 15 hours playtime. I had just came out of suspend and went right into playing. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Are there bikes in the game? Don't recall seeing any in all the gameplay videos

Gaz_RB

Looks really good, glad to hear the impressions are holding up as well.

I really wish this came out last Tuesday though. I'm gonna have to juggle this and MGS.

Vitor711

Received my CD-Key from Instant Gaming - unlocked just fine and preloading now. Only $19.99 on PC in case anyone's interested.

Are there bikes in the game? Don't recall seeing any in all the gameplay videos

They said in an interview that there would be no bikes.

Got my GMG key. Can't play, but can preload.

32GB !!!

cuuYYMZ.png
Just woke up and saw this. Checked my keys from GMG and am now preloading. So close!!!!!

Hate to be that guy, but look at the textures in these direct feed screenshots. They don't look that great to me. It's a very pretty game, but best looking game this gen?

I'm not a graphics whore, honest, but it's good to keep expectations in check.

Yeah, I wouldn't go as far as best looking game this generation, and textures could be a bit better, but I would say it's one of the better looking games around. It's gameplay looks tip-top though so I'm none too worried about a few mediocre textures. I can't wait to see it running at 1440p/60fps. This new monitor I picked up, it feels like I've taken a layer of scum off me eyeballs.

- combat feels good. ofc it's batman formula, but it feels more personal. and I like that there's FURY meter, whichs fills up and Max enrages, his moves change too. he starts hitting way harder, kicking with both legs and even suplexing the enemies.
- car controls are very arcady and it feels fun to even roam the desert without a mission.
- to be honest in it's core the game is closest to Far Cry 3/4 with the difference that you upgrade both Max and his car. (I really like how the game plays so far)
- I was worried that world would feel like that of Follaut 3. there was an apocalypse, but things are OK and there's stuff everywhere. Nope. it's real damn desert with some outposts and totems of war boys here and there. I think it's the only game that gives me real feel of a desert. and I like the imagery too. game locations are on a former see floor - and so there are oil rigs, shipwrecks, lighthouses, submarines - all kinds of nonsense.
-I was thinking this game would have more shooting. But it's closer to Assassins Creed style with shotgun being one of skills and ammo is realy rare without some skills and sidemissions.
-car combat is OK I guess. I mostly use harpoon to take care of any threats, but there are some more weapons later in the game.
-I also like the idea that the devs made both water, food and fuel in-game resourses. I think most devs would only make them apper in cutscenes, but here food is rarely found around to refill HP, water can be gathered in a canteen for use like health-kit and fuel is consumed by car and by some weapons like side-flame-throwers.
-graphics are very nice on PS4. I think it never drops below 30FPS as well. the only downside is somewhat long loading times. sometimes war boys would kill me and game would take up to 1 minute to reload auto-save file. and It had day-zero patch of 400 mb
-one little thing I noticed and liked - Max has leg brace like in the old movies - and when you jump from hights or out of the car - he would limp his leg. he feels very alive in the moments like this :)
--------
Overall I enjoy the game very much. It plays like Far Cry 4 - and it looks somewhat like the movies do. Quite enjoyable to say the least :)

Awesome impressions Lurgan. Thanks for sharing!

Goddamn, that rolling juji gatame!

uAB45FY.gif

Between this, the German suplex, the standing dropkick and the emerald flowsion, Max makes for a pretty good pro-wrestler :p

I can't imagine playing anything but phantom pain for most of September but this seems like a perfect black Friday sale game or Christmas break game.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
They said in an interview that there would be no bikes.

That's disappointing. Fury Road had plenty of bikes and guns,both of which are missing from this game.

I am surprised that they haven't announced any DLC passes for this with Warner being notorious for their aggressive DLC practices

Shiny and chrome, I'll be picking it up don't know when I'll play it though. So why am I picking it up? Don't know really, this thread is probably to blame. That and Fury Road is the best movie I've seen in years.

dealer-

Played for around 3 hours and really enjoying it so far. You can definitley feel the Mordor mechanics at the core though, running, climbing, combat etc.

It looks and plays fantastic on Xbox One, no framerate drops either. Don't know how they got to 1080p with an open world like this. It's also got a great photo mode with lots of options. Took around 30 pics already but can't save or upload any yet, maybe because it's not officially released.

ironcreed

Banned
Played for around 3 hours and really enjoying it so far. You can definitley feel the Mordor mechanics at the core though, running, climbing, combat etc.

It looks and plays fantastic on Xbox One, no framerate drops either. Don't know how they got to 1080p with an open world like this. It's also got a great photo mode with lots of options. Took around 30 pics already but can't save or upload any yet, maybe because it's not officially released.

Nice.

N° 2048

Decided to keep pre order this since:

MGS = Stealth open world, something actually very fresh
Mad Max: Crazy open world action, GTA and Just Cause style.
Danganronpa AE: VN, anime

Also %30 Amazon E3 pre orders :p

Perfect mix of genres.

How's the story missions so far?

Simo

Have you tried the Capture mode with video? Apparently if a friend hooks up a controller and enters that mode they can capture footage while controlling the camera. I'm curious how that works and how good it is.

N° 2048

The movie sure, not the shitty game

Don't worry, I think you'll be banned soon ;)

--------

Thank you! I LOVE the resources information. Did not know that.

I feel like if this game had come out a week and a half ago it would sell far more than it would releasing on Tuesday.

True. But as one who the Metal Gear franchise has never held an appeal, Mad Max (if it's good game) is higher up on my get chart.

NBA 2k16 is the real competitor. If I get Max it means I won't get NBA until around Xmas.

I saw Fury Road last night. Good movie. Solidified my choice. This game will be mine opening NCAA Football weekend.

Top Bottom