• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, who's buying Mad Max next week?

addyb

Just bought this from the russian Xbox marketplace for £32. Looks like I'm rotating gears, mgs v and this :)

Definity

Several people streaming this now on twitch. If WB and twitch stop removing streams I may jump back on and stream a bit later. I'm assuming they will make another pass and zap all the active ones out there any minute though.

ironcreed

Banned
I am going to enjoy this a lot more than I did Arkham Knight. It may have taken inspiration from Batman's combat, but it looks more brutal and satisfying here. Also, the car mechanics seem far more meaningful and sure as hell looks a lot more fun than the terrible mess that was the Batmobile. I know it will not reach the same acclaim, but I don't care. I have seen enough to know that this is going to be the better game for me.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
When do the reviews hit?

Won't be buying it for a while anyway since MGS hits Tuesday and FIFA is out later in the month but might get it in October for my birthday.

GravyButt

Yep. Feels like batman with a few modifications to make it just a bit different. Definitely much more brutal. See my post a few up from this one about some of the skills you can unlock.

Awesome! Im hoping for a b2g1 from toys r us soon. I have a $100 gift card and $20 reward cert(which expires in a month I believe)so im hoping to grab this fifa and probably mario maker if theres one soon. Anyone rumbling of one?

Raptor

Yep. Feels like batman with a few modifications to make it just a bit different. Definitely much more brutal. See my post a few up from this one about some of the skills you can unlock.

Thsi what I wanted to read honestly, pop in maybe will stop me from purchasing day one (that and no money as of now lol) but I will definitly pick it up on a later date, maybeblack friday!!

More brutal batman combat sounds amazing, does it have a good amount of gore?

bebop242

Awesome! Im hoping for a b2g1 from toys r us soon. I have a $100 gift card and $20 reward cert(which expires in a month I believe)so im hoping to grab this fifa and probably mario maker if theres one soon. Anyone rumbling of one?

Pretty sure in the past few years the b2g1 sale took place in Oct.

Permanently A

I wonder what WB's strategy is. They surely have the data to support releasing on the same day as MGSV. I just can't figure out why.

Human_me

I was going to wait till reviews but I watched the 70 min gameplay video and decided I wanted it.
I've started my pre-load now.
The pop in puts me off, however I'm hoping there will be a .ini tweak to fix it. It is the Avalanche Engine after all, Which ran Just Cause 2 great.

when will it start preloading?

You can preload right now on PC. Not sure about consoles.

Dommel

GMG mailed the key just now, picked it up for €30 during a sale few weeks back.

So yes, day one can't wait.

MGS doesn't come close. No other game I've played this generation is worthy of comparison visually. Period!

Hate to be that guy, but look at the textures in these direct feed screenshots. They don't look that great to me. It's a very pretty game, but best looking game this gen?

uaBftxp.jpg
mUygDLV.jpg
2bXLNRp.jpg
kIqDahk.jpg
HMtNPDy.jpg

I'm not a graphics whore, honest, but it's good to keep expectations in check.

owasog

I'm interested in the game and I will get it eventually, but only when the GOTY edition has a 50% discount or something like that. Interesting is not good enough anymore for me to buy something full price. Too many unplayed games in my Steam library. The only exception this fall will be Fallout 4. I simply must have that game, ASAP.

Mohonky

Hate to be that guy, but look at the textures in these direct feed screenshots. They don't look that great to me. It's a very pretty game, but best looking game this gen?

Every video I have watched the game actually looked really good, I noticed in the console thread the Mad Max shots were a bit ordinary so I have no idea whats going on there.

I've played for like 8 hours and here are some impressions.

- combat feels good. ofc it's batman formula, but it feels more personal. and I like that there's FURY meter, whichs fills up and Max enrages, his moves change too. he starts hitting way harder, kicking with both legs and even suplexing the enemies.
- car controls are very arcady and it feels fun to even roam the desert without a mission.
- to be honest in it's core the game is closest to Far Cry 3/4 with the difference that you upgrade both Max and his car. (I really like how the game plays so far)
- I was worried that world would feel like that of Follaut 3. there was an apocalypse, but things are OK and there's stuff everywhere. Nope. it's real damn desert with some outposts and totems of war boys here and there. I think it's the only game that gives me real feel of a desert. and I like the imagery too. game locations are on a former see floor - and so there are oil rigs, shipwrecks, lighthouses, submarines - all kinds of nonsense.
-I was thinking this game would have more shooting. But it's closer to Assassins Creed style with shotgun being one of skills and ammo is realy rare without some skills and sidemissions.
-car combat is OK I guess. I mostly use harpoon to take care of any threats, but there are some more weapons later in the game.
-I also like the idea that the devs made both water, food and fuel in-game resourses. I think most devs would only make them apper in cutscenes, but here food is rarely found around to refill HP, water can be gathered in a canteen for use like health-kit and fuel is consumed by car and by some weapons like side-flame-throwers.
-graphics are very nice on PS4. I think it never drops below 30FPS as well. the only downside is somewhat long loading times. sometimes war boys would kill me and game would take up to 1 minute to reload auto-save file. and It had day-zero patch of 400 mb
-one little thing I noticed and liked - Max has leg brace like in the old movies - and when you jump from hights or out of the car - he would limp his leg. he feels very alive in the moments like this :)
--------
Overall I enjoy the game very much. It plays like Far Cry 4 - and it looks somewhat like the movies do. Quite enjoyable to say the least :)

Feel free to ask some questions

Definity

The movie sure, not the shitty game
Great comment. Would fit right in with youtube or twitch chat comments.

Ive played the game for several hours now and I think ive given honest impressions a few pages back but its definitely not a shitty game. Some people will be turned off by the assassin creed style map and formula but other than that the ground combat, car combat and graphics are excellent imo.

ironcreed

Banned
The shit posting in this thread is fucking nuts.

Most people who are driving by flinging shit are probably under the false assumption that this is just another quick movie cash-in and are not even aware that Avalanche have been working on it for 3 years. Quite a bit more has gone into this than the usual licensed game and they have even consulted George Miller.

I've played for like 8 hours and here are some impressions.

- combat feels good. ofc it's batman formula, but it feels more personal. and I like that there's FURY meter, whichs fills up and Max enrages, his moves change too. he starts hitting way harder, kicking with both legs and even suplexing the enemies.
- car controls are very arcady and it feels fun to even roam the desert without a mission.
- to be honest in it's core the game is closest to Far Cry 3/4 with the difference that you upgrade both Max and his car. (I really like how the game plays so far)
- I was worried that world would feel like that of Follaut 3. there was an apocalypse, but things are OK and there's stuff everywhere. Nope. it's real damn desert with some outposts and totems of war boys here and there. I think it's the only game that gives me real feel of a desert. and I like the imagery too. game locations are on a former see floor - and so there are oil rigs, shipwrecks, lighthouses, submarines - all kinds of nonsense.
-I was thinking this game would have more shooting. But it's closer to Assassins Creed style with shotgun being one of skills and ammo is realy rare without some skills and sidemissions.
-car combat is OK I guess. I mostly use harpoon to take care of any threats, but there are some more weapons later in the game.
-I also like the idea that the devs made both water, food and fuel in-game resourses. I think most devs would only make them apper in cutscenes, but here food is rarely found around to refill HP, water can be gathered in a canteen for use like health-kit and fuel is consumed by car and by some weapons like side-flame-throwers.
-graphics are very nice on PS4. I think it never drops below 30FPS as well. the only downside is somewhat long loading times. sometimes war boys would kill me and game would take up to 1 minute to reload auto-save file. and It had day-zero patch of 400 mb
-one little thing I noticed and liked - Max has leg brace like in the old movies - and when you jump from hights or out of the car - he would limp his leg. he feels very alive in the moments like this :)
--------
Overall I enjoy the game very much. It plays like Far Cry 4 - and it looks somewhat like the movies do. Quite enjoyable to say the least :)

Feel free to ask some questions

What was the voice acting like? Normally I wouldn't really care about it, but the Mad Max universe has so much personality, it would be a shame if they didn't get some talent in.

It's a solid looking game that seems to suffer from massive pop-in issues if the gameplay footage from earlier is any indication (and some of the twitch streams that I've watched).

But in no way is this remotely anywhere near the best looking games of the generation.

Gurish

PS4 version on deck!

Graphically there is NOTHING on the market that is fucking with this! Nothing!!!
It's starting to be meme, every time someone gets an early copy of ANYTHING, it is "best looking game eva!!", doesn't matter if that's The Order (makes sense) or Gozdila ;)

MGS5 early players said the same, that's why I'm messing with you, and I've seen pics people took in the screenshot thread and Mad Max looked horrible, like really really bad, maybe in motion it's better but I can't imagine by much to make it the best looking...

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Worst idea ever to release this game now. It shoulda been in summer or wait until December. So much coming out in these next months til November!

What was the voice acting like? Normally I wouldn't really care about it, but the Mad Max universe has so much personality, it would be a shame if they didn't get some talent in.

OK now that's a thing I can't really tell for sure. English is not my native tongue. So it might be me, but I don't really like Max's voice. Just to be clear. I don't think I've really heard much Hardy nor Gibson to compare them to ingame voice. I mean an actor does a good job. But I dislike his sound :( Other characters are on a good level. Nothing too bright, but nothing bad either.

I don't even know what to tell about story. So far the only thing we've been doing was getting more and more upgrades for the car. Some characters gave me missions, but over all it's not great at best. May be I've not reached the good part yet. But I play and the actual story has been so-so so far. I'd like to think that the setting makes a better story over all than what I've seen yet.

-yet another small detail I like. during fights Max's face getting bloody and bruised. And these details remain during cutscenes. I've had a few moments after a big fight a cutscene would play and Max would look like he had a few boxing rounds lol

Top Bottom